PDA

View Full Version : Prop Strike AD info please

Tien Dao
November 26th 05, 02:41 AM
There is a CRANKSHAFT GEAR RETAINING BOLT AD 2004-10-14 effective June 25,
2004, which redefines "prop-strike" and states:

"(e) Compliance with this AD is required as indicated before further flight
if the engine experiences a propeller strike after the effective date of
this AD, as defined in paragraphs (i) and (j) of this AD. "

There is some disagreement amongst some of us whether this AD demands

1. replacement of the retaining bolt & lockplate after the effective date of
the AD on ALL "prop-strikes" -as newly defined- occuring BEFORE&AFTER the AD
or whether the AD demands only

2. replacement of the retaining bolt & lockplate ONLY on "prop-strikes"- as
newly defined- occuring AFTER the effective date of the AD.

Does anyone have experience or information to clarify this for me? My
interpretation is (2).
Thanks,

Tien

PS: on my pre-purchase inspection of a Cessna 177, we found this AD was not
complied with, but we wonder if it is applicable since the incident was
before the effective date of the AD.

Tien Dao
November 26th 05, 02:42 AM
This AD applies only to certain Lycoming engines, BTW.

zatatime
November 26th 05, 05:08 AM
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:41:03 -0500, "Tien Dao"
> wrote:

>if the engine experiences a propeller strike after the effective date of
>this AD, as defined in paragraphs (i) and (j)

Answer 2 sounds like what is in the AD.

Google