PDA

View Full Version : Help downloading this site

TripFarmer
November 29th 05, 04:11 PM
I will be moving 60 miles for work next week and I'm not sure how to
download this site when I get to my new job. Can someone walk me through
the steps? I don't want to lose this site.

Thanks in advance.

Trip Farmer
N8501N
PA28-235

Gig 601XL Builder
November 29th 05, 05:25 PM
"TripFarmer" > wrote in message
>I will be moving 60 miles for work next week and I'm not sure how to
> download this site when I get to my new job. Can someone walk me through
> the steps? I don't want to lose this site.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Trip Farmer
> N8501N
> PA28-235

Trip, I'll be happy to help. How do you receive it now?

George Patterson
November 29th 05, 05:25 PM
TripFarmer wrote:
> I will be moving 60 miles for work next week and I'm not sure how to
> download this site when I get to my new job. Can someone walk me through
> the steps? I don't want to lose this site.

I assume by "this site" you mean access to the newsgroups? I only know the
procedure for Mozilla or Netscape, but there will be something similar for others.

In Mozilla. You will need some information. Right now, go to "Tools" and select
"Account Settings." Select your newsgroup server and copy down all the
information in the form. Then select "Server Settings" and copy down the server
name.

When you get on the new work machine, select "Tools" and "Account Settings" and
click on "Add Account." Set everything to the values you copied down. Leave
other fields to the defaults set by the new computer. Once you save those
settings, you should see the news server in the Folders list. Select "Subscribe"
from the "File" menu and subscribe to the groups you want to read.

After that, when you select one of the groups for the first time, it will
download a few thousand headers. Once that is done, you will want to select
"Mark" from the "Message" menu and mark most of them as read. I would recommend
using the "By Date" option and marking everything read up to the current date,
or perhaps a day or two before.

Be aware that each computer keeps track of what you've read while logged into
it. If you read the groups from both work and home computers, you'll get real
familiar with marking messages as read.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.

Montblack
November 29th 05, 05:26 PM
("TripFarmer" wrote)
>I will be moving 60 miles for work next week and I'm not sure how to
> download this site when I get to my new job. Can someone walk me through
> the steps? I don't want to lose this site.

???

....this newsgroup?

Montblack

three-eight-hotel
November 29th 05, 07:21 PM
There are many ways to access this content, provided by several
newsgroups... Through specific topical sites, through news readers,

I've always accessed these sites from a simple browser at:
http://groups.google.com/

You can manage the groups you want to subscribe to, this one being
"rec.aviation.owning". There are several good ones under
"rec.aviation"

Best Regards,
Todd

TripFarmer
November 30th 05, 03:58 AM
This worked. Thanks. It sure looks different from the past 5+ years on UseNet.

Trip

In article om>, says...

>There are many ways to access this content, provided by several
>newsgroups... Through specific topical sites, through news readers,
>
>I've always accessed these sites from a simple browser at:
>http://groups.google.com/
>
>You can manage the groups you want to subscribe to, this one being
>"rec.aviation.owning". There are several good ones under
>"rec.aviation"
>
>Best Regards,
>Todd

three-eight-hotel
November 30th 05, 02:46 PM
You're welcome!

It's the simple way to get in, from just about any PC, and your
settings are based on you logon, so you don't have to install anything
to access the content.

If you are using one computer all the time, the newsreaders and other
available software make for a much nicer interface! I'd like to look
into installing something on my home PC, when I have the time... ;-)

Best Regards,
Todd

Gig 601XL Builder
November 30th 05, 03:13 PM
"three-eight-hotel" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> You're welcome!
>
> It's the simple way to get in, from just about any PC, and your
> settings are based on you logon, so you don't have to install anything
> to access the content.
>
> If you are using one computer all the time, the newsreaders and other
> available software make for a much nicer interface! I'd like to look
> into installing something on my home PC, when I have the time... ;-)
>
> Best Regards,
> Todd

Todd if you have a PC you probably already have a pretty good newsreader
installed. Outlook Express has come with every version of Windows for years.

three-eight-hotel
November 30th 05, 03:59 PM
hmmm... I forgot about that! I'm actually using Office Professional
for XP and have the full version of Outlook. I just found the
newsreader.... I just downloaded the google groups... Cool!!! Thanks!

three-eight-hotel
November 30th 05, 04:09 PM
dohh! I was a little premature!

I've got the newsreader ready, but couldn't connect to google groups
(It appeared to be downloading as I was responding to this thread, but
I found out that google groups doesn't support news readers). What are
the URL's to these aviation usenet sites, so I can plug it into the
newsreader? I imagine I will have to sign up...

Thanks!
Todd

Mark Hansen
November 30th 05, 04:16 PM
On 11/30/2005 08:09, three-eight-hotel wrote:

> dohh! I was a little premature!
>
> I've got the newsreader ready, but couldn't connect to google groups
> (It appeared to be downloading as I was responding to this thread, but
> I found out that google groups doesn't support news readers). What are
> the URL's to these aviation usenet sites, so I can plug it into the
> newsreader? I imagine I will have to sign up...
>
> Thanks!
> Todd

Your ISP will have a host assigned at the NNTP server. Go to their
web site and look at their support pages.

I don't use Outlook, but it must have some feature to add a NNTP news
account - you just plug in the stuff from your ISP and then subscribe
to the newsgroups.

Sacramento, CA

three-eight-hotel
November 30th 05, 04:18 PM
>> I don't use Outlook, but it must have some feature to add a NNTP news
>> account - you just plug in the stuff from your ISP and then subscribe
>> to the newsgroups.

You're exactly right (Outlook as an option to add an NNTP news
account)... I will check it out. Thanks!

Gig 601XL Builder
November 30th 05, 04:18 PM
"three-eight-hotel" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> dohh! I was a little premature!
>
> I've got the newsreader ready, but couldn't connect to google groups
> (It appeared to be downloading as I was responding to this thread, but
> I found out that google groups doesn't support news readers). What are
> the URL's to these aviation usenet sites, so I can plug it into the
> newsreader? I imagine I will have to sign up...
>
> Thanks!
> Todd

Google Groups isn't a newsserver. It is a Web site the displays and allows
posting to USENET. What you need to set up your newsreader is the name of
your ISP's newsserver. Most would be something like

news.ISPNAME.net As an example if your ISP is comcast it might be
news.comcast.net.

Dave Butler
November 30th 05, 04:19 PM
three-eight-hotel wrote:
> dohh! I was a little premature!
>
> I've got the newsreader ready, but couldn't connect to google groups
> (It appeared to be downloading as I was responding to this thread, but
> I found out that google groups doesn't support news readers). What are
> the URL's to these aviation usenet sites, so I can plug it into the
> newsreader? I imagine I will have to sign up...

You will need to connect to a news server. Your Internet Service Provider (ISP)
probably has one that you can use, or you can subscribe to any number of pay
servers. Call your ISP or go to your ISP's help web page and ask them the
address of their news server. It will probably be something like
"news.<ispname>.com".

Dave

Aaron Coolidge
November 30th 05, 04:31 PM
Gig 601XL Builder <wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net> wrote:
: Todd if you have a PC you probably already have a pretty good newsreader
: installed. Outlook Express has come with every version of Windows for years.

Be a little leery of Outlook Express or Outlook. They have the standard
Microsoft worm/virus/executable script/executable jpeg/general security
issues. Before I switched to *nix I used a program called Microplanet
Gravity to read news. I have also heard that Xnews and Forte Free Agent
are superior news clients.
--
Aaron C.

TripFarmer
November 30th 05, 08:24 PM
I copied the files from my current PC and will try to install them at home and
on my new office PC. Google leaves a lot to be desired IMHO.

Trip

In article om>, says...

>You're welcome!
>
>It's the simple way to get in, from just about any PC, and your
>settings are based on you logon, so you don't have to install anything
>to access the content.
>
>If you are using one computer all the time, the newsreaders and other
>available software make for a much nicer interface! I'd like to look
>into installing something on my home PC, when I have the time... ;-)
>
>Best Regards,
>Todd

TripFarmer
November 30th 05, 08:25 PM
Tell me how!!!!!! :o) I have Pro, too.

Trip

In article om>, says...

>hmmm... I forgot about that! I'm actually using Office Professional
>for XP and have the full version of Outlook. I just found the
>newsreader.... I just downloaded the google groups... Cool!!! Thanks!

Mike Adams
December 2nd 05, 01:59 AM
Aaron Coolidge > wrote:

> I have also heard that Xnews and Forte Free Agent
> are superior news clients.

I have been using XNews for the last few years and am very happy with it. It's quick, stable, and clean
user interface.

Mike

Google