PDA

View Full Version : Wireless head mounted microphones

Eric Greenwell
November 30th 05, 10:12 PM
I liked the Plantronics microphone I used to use, that clipped onto my
eyeglasses. Eventually, I got tired of the cord, which seemed to be in
the way much of the time.

Are there any eyeglass clip-on (or ear mounted) style wireless
microphones? I've seen some intriquing ear mounted "headsets" used with
cell phones that use Bluetooth to connect with the phone instead of a
wire, but I haven't seen any receiver for them that could be plugged
into an aircraft radio microphone input.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Mark628CA
November 30th 05, 11:53 PM
Eric-

Just saw an ad for a Bluetooth aviation headset from Panther
Electronics www.pantherelectronics.com

No price listed.

Mark

Mark628CA
December 1st 05, 12:34 AM
Mark628CA wrote:
> Eric-
>
> Just saw an ad for a Bluetooth aviation headset from Panther
> Electronics www.pantherelectronics.com
>
> No price listed.
>
> Mark

Mark628CA
December 1st 05, 12:38 AM
Eric-

I just checked the Panther site. The headset is definitely not what I
expected- it seems to have more cords than normal! There may be a
wireless connection to the radio, but there are two individual cords to
the ears, a cord to the controller and a cord for a PTT. Plus it is
noise cancelling (read pricey).

Oh well, it lokked good at first. Sorry.

Mark Mocho

Neil Allison
December 8th 05, 08:47 AM
> but I haven't seen any receiver for them that could be plugged
> into an aircraft radio microphone input.

Eric,

On paper the Jabra A210 looks close to what you would need to pair with
a standard bluetooth headset:
http://www.jabra.com/JabraCMS/NA/EN/MainMenu/Products/Accessories/JabraA210/JabraA210

You'd probably need to make a 2.5mm socket to Aviation radio jack
adapter lead to connect it to a radio.

The suggested temp range -10degC to 45degC and yet another 2 Li-Ion
batteries (headset & receiver) might conspire to make a cool solution
possibly more trouble than its worth?

Cheers
Neil
Christchurch, NZ

Eric Greenwell
December 8th 05, 03:33 PM
Neil Allison wrote:
>> but I haven't seen any receiver for them that could be plugged into an
>> aircraft radio microphone input.
>
> On paper the Jabra A210 looks close to what you would need to pair with
> a standard bluetooth headset:
> http://www.jabra.com/JabraCMS/NA/EN/MainMenu/Products/Accessories/JabraA210/JabraA210
>

> You'd probably need to make a 2.5mm socket to Aviation radio jack
> adapter lead to connect it to a radio.
>
> The suggested temp range -10degC to 45degC and yet another 2 Li-Ion
> batteries (headset & receiver) might conspire to make a cool solution
> possibly more trouble than its worth?

Seems like it. The ideal solution would be a small receiver that could
be powered by the bias voltage on the radio microphone input, so a
battery or power connection wasn't needed. Maybe some radios will have
BT built into them, and even the standard aviation headsets will go
cordless. In the meantime, I'll just have to envy the mobile phone users
that walk around, apparently talking to themselves like a homeless person.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Google