Colorado

Frank Whiteley
December 5th 05, 06:20 AM
Apparently not.

All's well that ends well fortunately.

Frank

Gary Boggs
December 5th 05, 05:55 PM
Please give us the details. I heard there was a missing glider in
Lancaster, Ca. USA, is this what you are referring to?

"Frank Whiteley" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Apparently not.
>
> All's well that ends well fortunately.
>
> Frank

Limus
December 5th 05, 06:46 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-glider5dec05,1,3369916.story?coll=la-headlines-california&ctrack=1&cset=true

Frank Whiteley
December 5th 05, 07:27 PM
http://www.greatwesternsoaring.com/

Gary Boggs
December 5th 05, 08:18 PM
I don't want to register on their web site and get even more junk mail.

The Great Western site has very little detail, can anyone post all the
details here please.

"Limus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-glider5dec05,1,3369916.story?coll=la-headlines-california&ctrack=1&cset=true

Edward Lockhart
December 5th 05, 08:59 PM
At 20:24 05 December 2005, Gary Boggs wrote:
>I don't want to register on their web site and get
>even more junk mail.
>
>The Great Western site has very little detail, can
>anyone post all the
>details here please.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=glider+OR+sailplane
[avoiding line break]
http://tinyurl.com/altaf

Thanks to one of the regulars here who provided this
link as a way of keeping up to date with gliding news
worldwide.

Ed

Mark A. Matthews
December 5th 05, 09:23 PM
In article >,
"Gary Boggs" > wrote:
[regarding latimes.com required registration to view]

> I don't want to register on their web site and get even more junk mail.

http://www.bugmenot.com/ is your friend.

Doug Turner
December 5th 05, 10:20 PM
This article seems to have some more information.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-glider5dec05,1,3369916.sto
ry?coll=la-headlines-california&ctrack=1&cset=true

No water, no cell phone, no radio.....but they brought
their IPod!!

Frank Whiteley
December 6th 05, 12:26 AM
Are you sure you want all those here? Don't really want to be that
ghoulish. Actually, many people do manage to get positive gliding and
soaring articles in their regional papers.

If you search for glider or sailplane on news.google.com, you find more
than you need.

Even so, recently I wanted to understand more about a recent accident
in the southeast. Two people in a glider were mentioned, but it was
unclear from the media post if this was a sailplane, ultralight, or
hang glider. The media narrative was rather intense related to the
condition of the pilot and passenger. Going to the FAA prelim data,
not only did I find that G-103, but also the DG-300 crash landing, and
a PW-5(?) prelim incident which doesn't appear in the NTSB search, so
it might have been a non-event. For some reason the Grob incident
requires a request through NTSB public docket channels. There's no
online narrative, yet.

I believe there is something to be learned from each incident, so
understanding what led up to the event and what the missed options were
can be helpful. www.soaringsafety.org lists NTSB incidents, but only 2
of 31 so far this year.

Fly safely, and land safely avoiding berms, trees, fences, wires and
walls and whatever else is out there.

BTIZ
December 6th 05, 03:28 AM
please post the information for those of us that choose not to register to
the LA Times..

BT

"Doug Turner" > wrote in message
> This article seems to have some more information.
>
> http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-glider5dec05,1,3369916.sto
> ry?coll=la-headlines-california&ctrack=1&cset=true
>
> No water, no cell phone, no radio.....but they brought
> their IPod!!

BTIZ
December 6th 05, 06:26 AM
Frank... I took Cindy's advice and googled it... all involved are ok. Glider
was found with minor damage after a mountain side landing... then next
morning... a cold night in the mountains..
BT

"BTIZ" > wrote in message
> please post the information for those of us that choose not to register to
> the LA Times..
>
> BT
>
> "Doug Turner" > wrote in message
>> This article seems to have some more information.
>>
>> http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-glider5dec05,1,3369916.sto
>> ry?coll=la-headlines-california&ctrack=1&cset=true
>>
>> No water, no cell phone, no radio.....but they brought
>> their IPod!!

Roger Worden
December 6th 05, 02:44 PM
No registration required. Just search "glider great western" from their main
page.

"Gary Boggs" > wrote in message
> I don't want to register on their web site and get even more junk mail.
>
> The Great Western site has very little detail, can anyone post all the
> details here please.
>

> "Limus" > wrote in message
> oups.com...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-glider5dec05,1,3369916.story?coll=la-headlines-california&ctrack=1&cset=true

lessonslearned
December 6th 05, 09:15 PM
I am the PIC of the glider that landed out on December 4th. I am
willing to answer any questions with the hope it will help others be
more prepared in a similar situation. . Please only questions or
suggestions, no criticism.

01-- Zero One
December 6th 05, 10:14 PM
Congratulations on your successful off-field landing. Glad everything
worked out!

Larry

"01" USA

"lessonslearned" > wrote in message
oups.com:

> I am the PIC of the glider that landed out on December 4th. I am
> willing to answer any questions with the hope it will help others be
> more prepared in a similar situation. . Please only questions or
> suggestions, no criticism.

Mike the Strike
December 6th 05, 10:28 PM
Do you think an ELT would have been helpful in your case?

John O. Graybill
December 6th 05, 10:41 PM
Lessonslearnered:

Congratulations on a successful out landing, and congratulations for
not loosing your cool and spinning in which is too common an outcome
when faced with a landing in undesirable terrain. More, thanks for
volunteering to answer some questions.

Some questions I wonder about follow and I would be most interested to
hear your thoughts:

1. Is it true there was a north wind that day?
2. Do you remember being aware of the wind at or near your release
altitude?
3. Did you consider attempting to glide south and landing at El Monte
airport or Bracket Field?
4. Once you decided you were going to land, do you remember what your
thoughts were during the last 1,500 feet or so of the glide?
5. Did you land into the wind?
6. During the last 2,000 feet of the glide, did fear play either a
positive or negative role in decisions and actions?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

John O. Graybill

W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).
December 6th 05, 10:47 PM
What level of pupil where you flying with? First flight, pre solo,
visiting pilot, what?

Obviously, this time something was different, can you put your finger on it?

What equipment will you be flying with in future?
e.g. Radio? Panel or handheld?
Mobile phone (would you have had coverage?).
Any survival kit?

Were you wearing parachutes? Even if you make a good landing, the canopy
can be used to make shelter, and would perhaps be much more visible than the
glider itself.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

> "lessonslearned" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>I am the PIC of the glider that landed out on December 4th. I am
> willing to answer any questions with the hope it will help others be
> more prepared in a similar situation. Please only questions or
> suggestions, no criticism.

lessonslearned
December 7th 05, 04:49 AM
The flight was a commercial ride. The winds were light and I did not
notice any drift. I quickly became low in the canyon, which became vary
narrow below. I could not see the valley due to cloud cover so I
immediately picked the safest landing spot. I planned to land going
uphill, made a steep approach before bleeding off all my airspeed. The
glider set down gently into deep brush. My main concern was for my
passenger up front, so I was in constant communication with him
regarding my intentions. We were both confident I would make a safe
landing. I was told later the white glider was easy to spot in the
brush. Things would have been different if there was snow, in which
case a parachute would help. It would have made great blanket. My
passenger said he would fly with me again in July, at which time I will
have an ELT, radio, and water.

[...]

December 7th 05, 05:50 PM
lessonslearned: I'm delighted to hear that the two of you are going up
again in July!

I took a passenger for a ride at Estrella last spring. The tow pilot
(err, escort plane) headed straight north over the mountain range and
maintained heading until I released at 5000' AGL. What none of us knew
was that above 3000' a strong south wind was blowing. After observing
the northward drift in a couple of turns off tow, I immediately pointed
the glider back to the airport. We made it with just a few hundred feet
to spare. I thought you may have experienced something similar in your
Saturday flight...

~ted/2NO

lessonslearned
December 8th 05, 02:46 AM