PDA

View Full Version : Autorotations

Ol Shy & Bashful
December 16th 05, 05:33 PM
It's getting pretty boring here. So, who has done an actual emergency
autorotation and what was the outcome?
As previously posted, I've done at least five with various failures and
all to successful conclusions. Geeez guys....it's Christmas! Can't we
say something or do something to brighten up the spirit of the season?
I have a phyxed wing student who just did a terrible landing recovery
this week and jammed the nose wheel up into the cowling doing about 30K
of damage to a C172SP. Curled the prop and all. Talk about a dampener
to the Xmas spirit?
So, what have you done lately? Anything to brighten up the day?
Ol Shy & Bashful

Steve R
December 17th 05, 12:37 AM
I've done a bunch through the years. Actually, most of the "unexpected"
engine out auto's I've done were pretty much uneventul. Even entered a
couple of them from inverted but had enough altitude to deal with it.
Dropped the collective, hit throttle hold, and split S'd to upright and put
the bird on the ground.

The first "oh sh**" auto I ever did, which occured while I was actually
practicing to "learn" how to do auto's, was the result of a tail rotor
failure. That one was "real" interesting but successful nontheless. I wish
I could claim skill on that one however it was nothing but dumb luck. I'll
take luck over skill any time! ;-)

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

"Ol Shy & Bashful" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> It's getting pretty boring here. So, who has done an actual emergency
> autorotation and what was the outcome?
> As previously posted, I've done at least five with various failures and
> all to successful conclusions. Geeez guys....it's Christmas! Can't we
> say something or do something to brighten up the spirit of the season?
> I have a phyxed wing student who just did a terrible landing recovery
> this week and jammed the nose wheel up into the cowling doing about 30K
> of damage to a C172SP. Curled the prop and all. Talk about a dampener
> to the Xmas spirit?
> So, what have you done lately? Anything to brighten up the day?
> Ol Shy & Bashful

Steve R
December 17th 05, 12:38 AM
Oops. Sorry guys, wrong newgroup. One of the pitfalls for loitering
around one geared to the full size birds and one geared to the RC versions.

Please ignore the previous post.

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

"Ol Shy & Bashful" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> It's getting pretty boring here. So, who has done an actual emergency
> autorotation and what was the outcome?
> As previously posted, I've done at least five with various failures and
> all to successful conclusions. Geeez guys....it's Christmas! Can't we
> say something or do something to brighten up the spirit of the season?
> I have a phyxed wing student who just did a terrible landing recovery
> this week and jammed the nose wheel up into the cowling doing about 30K
> of damage to a C172SP. Curled the prop and all. Talk about a dampener
> to the Xmas spirit?
> So, what have you done lately? Anything to brighten up the day?
> Ol Shy & Bashful

Toad-Man
December 17th 05, 05:36 PM
"Ol Shy & Bashful" > wrote in
ups.com:

> It's getting pretty boring here. So, who has done an actual emergency
> autorotation and what was the outcome?
> As previously posted, I've done at least five with various failures
and
> all to successful conclusions. Geeez guys....it's Christmas! Can't we
> say something or do something to brighten up the spirit of the season?
> I have a phyxed wing student who just did a terrible landing recovery
> this week and jammed the nose wheel up into the cowling doing about
30K
> of damage to a C172SP. Curled the prop and all. Talk about a dampener
> to the Xmas spirit?
> So, what have you done lately? Anything to brighten up the day?
> Ol Shy & Bashful

So far I've only had one engine failure (piston) - it happened on the
ground during the run up! Best engine out procedure I ever handled :)

The school here has had a few though. Pistons like to quit during
practice autos just to check you really had a good place to go when you
chopped the throttle. They've all ended up OK....

However, a few autos to the ground (engine still working), that haven't
been so successful - definitely seems that practicing for autos is more
dangerous than the real thing...

Merry Christmas guys. Fly safe.

toad.

Stuart & Kathryn Fields
December 18th 05, 04:23 PM
At first, I only read these with interest and then I remembered that I did
have the engine quit one day and I successfully set it down. I had about 12
hrs total helo time and was in the process of hovering off some test time on
my Baby Belle. The mixture at idle was a little rich so I tweaked the
mixture back until the engine ran smooth while I warmed it up. When it was
ready, I lifted off into a hover and the engine quit. Too lean a mixture
for full power. I had never practiced a hovering auto in my ship yet but I
guess the reflex action was correct. Thanks to "Ol Shy & Bashful"'s
posting, I now can say I have had an auto to the ground. This one was so
quick I didn't have time to get scared.
--
Stuart Fields

"Toad-Man" > wrote in message
1...
> "Ol Shy & Bashful" > wrote in
> ups.com:
>
> > It's getting pretty boring here. So, who has done an actual emergency
> > autorotation and what was the outcome?
> > As previously posted, I've done at least five with various failures
> and
> > all to successful conclusions. Geeez guys....it's Christmas! Can't we
> > say something or do something to brighten up the spirit of the season?
> > I have a phyxed wing student who just did a terrible landing recovery
> > this week and jammed the nose wheel up into the cowling doing about
> 30K
> > of damage to a C172SP. Curled the prop and all. Talk about a dampener
> > to the Xmas spirit?
> > So, what have you done lately? Anything to brighten up the day?
> > Ol Shy & Bashful
> >

> So far I've only had one engine failure (piston) - it happened on the
> ground during the run up! Best engine out procedure I ever handled :)
>
> The school here has had a few though. Pistons like to quit during
> practice autos just to check you really had a good place to go when you
> chopped the throttle. They've all ended up OK....
>
> However, a few autos to the ground (engine still working), that haven't
> been so successful - definitely seems that practicing for autos is more
> dangerous than the real thing...
>
> Merry Christmas guys. Fly safe.
>
> toad.

kirt hood
December 19th 05, 02:48 AM
Heres a new one for the books and possibly stir things up a little. I once
had to do an auto from about 500 ft AGL but with a power recovery. When
doing my warm-up I noticed the rotors spool up a little more than normal but
didn't think to much of it at the time. Once all the temps were in the green
I set out and departed and all seemed normal. Once at altitude I notice that
my EGT's would sky rocket as soon as I reduced the throttle for cruise, did
I mention I was in a Mini 500. The mini has two sets of carburater jets, one
for cruise, and one for higher power settings. So my only option I could see
at the time was to keep climbing or go faster, both using the higher power
setting, or auto back to my departure point. I did a quick circuit back so
as to auto into wind and then cut the throttle to idle and entered the auto.
At the bottom of the auto I did a power recovery at about 10 ft agl and set
it down uneventfully, changed the jets to richer ones and set off again with
no problems. Just goes to show that I should have noticed that with the
rotors spooling up at idle (slightly higher engine RPM do to the leaner
jets) I should have looked into what was the cause. I should also mention
that this was the only engine problem I had in appox. 300 hrs of flying the
Mini.
Kirt

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" > wrote in message
.. .
> At first, I only read these with interest and then I remembered that I did
> have the engine quit one day and I successfully set it down. I had about
> 12
> hrs total helo time and was in the process of hovering off some test time
> on
> my Baby Belle. The mixture at idle was a little rich so I tweaked the
> mixture back until the engine ran smooth while I warmed it up. When it
> was
> ready, I lifted off into a hover and the engine quit. Too lean a mixture
> for full power. I had never practiced a hovering auto in my ship yet but
> guess the reflex action was correct. Thanks to "Ol Shy & Bashful"'s
> posting, I now can say I have had an auto to the ground. This one was so
> quick I didn't have time to get scared.
> --
> Stuart Fields
>

> "Toad-Man" > wrote in message
> 1...
>> "Ol Shy & Bashful" > wrote in
>> ups.com:
>>
>> > It's getting pretty boring here. So, who has done an actual emergency
>> > autorotation and what was the outcome?
>> > As previously posted, I've done at least five with various failures
>> and
>> > all to successful conclusions. Geeez guys....it's Christmas! Can't we
>> > say something or do something to brighten up the spirit of the season?
>> > I have a phyxed wing student who just did a terrible landing recovery
>> > this week and jammed the nose wheel up into the cowling doing about
>> 30K
>> > of damage to a C172SP. Curled the prop and all. Talk about a dampener
>> > to the Xmas spirit?
>> > So, what have you done lately? Anything to brighten up the day?
>> > Ol Shy & Bashful
>> >

>> So far I've only had one engine failure (piston) - it happened on the
>> ground during the run up! Best engine out procedure I ever handled :)
>>
>> The school here has had a few though. Pistons like to quit during
>> practice autos just to check you really had a good place to go when you
>> chopped the throttle. They've all ended up OK....
>>
>> However, a few autos to the ground (engine still working), that haven't
>> been so successful - definitely seems that practicing for autos is more
>> dangerous than the real thing...
>>
>> Merry Christmas guys. Fly safe.
>>
>> toad.

boB
December 20th 05, 04:00 AM
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:
was nothing but dumb luck. I'll
>>take luck over skill any time! ;-)
>

> I'm hoping this one was related to models as well..

I would think so too :)

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Steve R
December 20th 05, 04:59 AM
Didn't you get the other post I made "immediately" after posting this one?

It was a sincere apology for not paying more attention to "which" newsgroup
I was responding to. And "yes," it was an RC model. Although I'd love to
see a full size bird do an autorotative split-S! ;-)

Fly Safe,
Steve R. (who's appropriately embarrassed!)

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in
message ...
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:37:11 GMT, "Steve R"
> > wrote:
>
>>I've done a bunch through the years. Actually, most of the "unexpected"
>>engine out auto's I've done were pretty much uneventul. Even entered a
>>couple of them from inverted but had enough altitude to deal with it.
>>Dropped the collective, hit throttle hold, and split S'd to upright and
>>put
>>the bird on the ground.
>
> hehehe, you got hit with the inverse of what I did in
> rec.models.rc.helicopter a few weeks back. This is the group where we
> talk about full scale Steve, not the models. :)
>
>>The first "oh sh**" auto I ever did, which occured while I was actually
>>practicing to "learn" how to do auto's, was the result of a tail rotor
>>failure. That one was "real" interesting but successful nontheless. I
>>wish
>>I could claim skill on that one however it was nothing but dumb luck.
>>I'll
>>take luck over skill any time! ;-)
>
> I'm hoping this one was related to models as well..

boB
December 20th 05, 07:05 PM
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:

> Yeah, I saw it, but about 2 mins after I posted.
>
> No need to be embarassed. I had to double check the group name after
> reading your post a few times. :)

And I was visualizing the maneuver. :) Later I saw it was for RC's but
have never seen one in person. There was a great video out there
somewhere which, to me, was awe inspiring. I don't know how that guy did
it but I was sitting on the edge of my chair.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Stuart & Kathryn Fields
December 21st 05, 01:34 AM
We were at the Spurling helicopter fly-in in Ok. and had finished flying for
the day and were sipping on some beer when some young guy with some lady in
what looked liked business attire, came out to the edge of the runway and
set a RC helo down and started fooling with it. As hard as a helicopter is
to fly with all of the butt feedback, we pretty much backed away a bit to
get out of the shrapnel zone of broken blades. Pretty soon the RC helo
lifted off and it became apparent that this guy had a smoke system on board.
Some of the maneuvers this guy did had all of the helo pilots that were
standing around bending and wiggling their hands trying to figure out just
what control inputs would be required to do what we were seeing. One of the
maneuvers was a backward flight up a 45 degree line performing rolls. A
split S auto would be a piece of cake for this guy. We later found out that
he was the current National Champion RC helo driver and the lady with him
was his corporate sponsor. Even tho this has been about three years ago, I
can remember my mouth hanging open and saying things like: "Holy schit did
you see that?" Until it got boring to repeat myself. We also found out
that his helicopter greatly exceeded the 10#/hp rule of thumb.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

"boB" > wrote in message
> The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:
>

> > Yeah, I saw it, but about 2 mins after I posted.
> >
> > No need to be embarassed. I had to double check the group name after
> > reading your post a few times. :)
> >

> And I was visualizing the maneuver. :) Later I saw it was for RC's but
> have never seen one in person. There was a great video out there
> somewhere which, to me, was awe inspiring. I don't know how that guy did
> it but I was sitting on the edge of my chair.
>
> --
>
> boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Leonard Ellis
December 21st 05, 05:58 PM
I had two Lycoming T53-L13A engines come apart in 1970 during my tour flying
Hueys in RVN (240th Assault Helicopter Company).

The first one happened at cruise (~100 kts) at perhaps 100 feet AGL while we
were flying east from Bearcat (near Long Thanh) to the coast along highway 1
just southeast of the Gia Ray massif. When the compressor blades let go, it
sounded like an explosion, I thought for a few seconds that we had taken an
RPG. Anyway, the autorotation and successful albeit skidding landing on a
paved highway went exactly like we trained for low-level autorotation.

During the week it took to install a new engine in my bird (67-17565), I
flew other machines assigned to my platoon, one of which did the same thing
to me (don't remember its tail number), although this time we were hovering
from POL (fuel) to the revetment after completing the day's missions. For
this one, I recognized the sounds from the earlier catastrophic compressor
failure so I didn't think about an RPG and just performed a successful
hovering autorotation, just as we trained to do them. This engine failure
came after our formation had flown low and slow in a hard rainstorm back to
Bearcat from the Rung Sat swamps east of Saigon during which it was raining
so hard that we had to fly in a skid at about 40 kts in order to see each
other and to avoid flying into any obstacles (primarily, trees) while our
flight lead navigated home using pilotage.

I always figured that my guardian angel was on the job since both engine
failures came at very nearly optimal moments. The training that the Army
gave us in flight school really prepared me to handle the power failure
situations as in those days we carried almost all autorotations to the
ground. I loved autorotations! I always thought autorotations were the
best way to land a Huey when flying combat assaults primarily because an
approach to a 3 foot hover before landing just served to increase the
exposure time. My mantra was to keep moving and try to avoid flying a
predictable ground track whenever possible, meaning no straight-in
approaches to a hot LZ. Must have worked because despite taking fire I
never took rounds when using these techniques! Of course, some said that I
was a cowboy, but I never got anyone killed so I'm happy with the results.

Thankfully, the Lycoming guys figured what was caused these types of engine
failures and fixed the problem in the L13B, which I flew with until
"retiring" from Army Aviation in 1978.

Cheers,
Leonard Ellis (Greyhound 28)

"Ol Shy & Bashful" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> It's getting pretty boring here. So, who has done an actual emergency
> autorotation and what was the outcome?
> As previously posted, I've done at least five with various failures and
> all to successful conclusions. Geeez guys....it's Christmas! Can't we
> say something or do something to brighten up the spirit of the season?
> I have a phyxed wing student who just did a terrible landing recovery
> this week and jammed the nose wheel up into the cowling doing about 30K
> of damage to a C172SP. Curled the prop and all. Talk about a dampener
> to the Xmas spirit?
> So, what have you done lately? Anything to brighten up the day?
> Ol Shy & Bashful

boB
December 21st 05, 11:00 PM
Leonard Ellis wrote:

> I had two Lycoming T53-L13A engines come apart in 1970 during my tour flying
> Hueys in RVN (240th Assault Helicopter Company).
>
> The first one happened at cruise (~100 kts) at perhaps 100 feet AGL while we
> were flying east from Bearcat (near Long Thanh) to the coast along highway 1
> just southeast of the Gia Ray massif. When the compressor blades let go, it
> sounded like an explosion, I thought for a few seconds that we had taken an
> RPG. Anyway, the autorotation and successful albeit skidding landing on a
> paved highway went exactly like we trained for low-level autorotation.

Some great moments there Leonard. Of course I think you didn't think
that way as the engines came apart.

I retired in 1995 and, after flying a season with Papillon Grand Canyon
Helicopters, I had enough money to buy my dream aircraft, the RAF2000
Gyro. The reason I was choosing the Gyro was the ability to land on
country roads, stop the rotor and line it up fore and aft, and drive it
like a motorcycle to a country gas station or big Truck Stop for a
break, food and a shower and a motel for the night. Some time camping
beside the aircraft was another possibility I was looking forward to.
Adding the required lights, brakes and other safety equipment would be
no problem and the Gyro can be licensed as a homebuilt motorcycle. I
couldn't get my Sprint II ultralight street legal with the wings
attached so it wouldn't be worth the bother.

But even with it being street legal, too much driving on the tires would
not be good for it although good street tires can be found I think.

But health going down hill and getting married to a German Tourist I met
flying over the Canyon put the plans on hold. But I still think about it.

Reading all the posts here has been great. Posts about aircraft like the
mini 500 and others are good reading. Is there a place where a person
can go to see some of the helicopters people own here? Maybe someday
I'll get back on track with my old plans.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Leonard Ellis
December 22nd 05, 12:11 AM
Actually, there was really no time for contemplation prior to landing, as
I'm sure most pilots of single-engine, low-level helicopters will recognize.
One's training kicks in and takes most of the "thinking" out of the
situation, particularly when fast and low. I always loved the questions one
gets from the maintenance guys after such an engine failure, "what was the
oil temperature? pressure? N1 speed?" My usual answer "I don't know! I
was busy trying to avoid flying into anything and then busy trying to land
the aircraft without busting my ass!"

Neither I nor my peter pilot got off a mayday call on the first engine
failure, I was busy flying the machine and he was busy sucking the nylon
netting from the armored seat up to where the sun don't shine (high pucker
factor situation for a FNG). After the bird stopped sliding I turned off
the main fuel & battery, and shouted to the crew to "unass this thing". We
all bailed to the drainage ditch on the side of the road.

Maybe a minute later I thought about having neglected the radio call and
since we hadn't taken fire or seen any bad guys since landing, I ran up to
the bird and fetched the ammo box we used for an emergency kit and returned
to the ditch. Opening the box, I extracted the rinky-dink survival radio
and used it to call for help. No one heard it. We were less than 3 miles
from the firebase at Gia Ray, there was lots of chopper traffic around that
firebase, and not one aircraft heard my mayday call. That survival radio
was an absolute pick of junk and clearly not worth having along.

I gave up on the rinky dink radio, climbed into the bird, flipped on the
master and fired up the ARC51BX UHF radio. Everyone heard the mayday call
that went out on that one and we had air cover from an OH-58 within a couple
of minutes. About 15 minutes later, a unit of armored vehicles came roaring
down the road and set a perimeter around my machine. They stayed until a
Chinook came and carried our bird home for a new engine. The next day I
borrowed the CO's machine and carried several cases of cold beer out to them
as my thanks. Cav guys are worth their weight in gold!

A bit before the hook showed up, two pilots from our unit (who on their day
off had been taking the sun on top of our bunker back home) came out with a
spare Huey so I and my crew took that machine on to finish our day of
hauling people around Ham Tan province and my colleagues rode back to their
bunker on the rigging ship. I was a little sad to miss seeing the hook
bring my bird home, but better to go fly all day than to sit around the
company area dealing with whatever the operations or company staff could
dream up to occupy my time. Additional motivation was that my crew chief
would not have been happy if I had left him to fly all day with some other
A/C after the adventurous way we had started the day.

Gyrocopters strike me as a little scary. Several guys 3 doors down from our
Skyhawk's hanger have one. There ain't much to it. I don't think you can
carry much more than yourself, a 16 oz bottle of water, and a toothbrush in
one of those things. Still, I would like to try flying one someday.

Cheers,
Leonard

e muchthe first one, on the highway,
"boB" > wrote in message
> Leonard Ellis wrote:
>
>> I had two Lycoming T53-L13A engines come apart in 1970 during my tour
>> flying Hueys in RVN (240th Assault Helicopter Company).
>>
>> The first one happened at cruise (~100 kts) at perhaps 100 feet AGL while
>> we were flying east from Bearcat (near Long Thanh) to the coast along
>> highway 1 just southeast of the Gia Ray massif. When the compressor
>> blades let go, it sounded like an explosion, I thought for a few seconds
>> that we had taken an RPG. Anyway, the autorotation and successful albeit
>> skidding landing on a paved highway went exactly like we trained for
>> low-level autorotation.
>>

> Some great moments there Leonard. Of course I think you didn't think that
> way as the engines came apart.
>
> I retired in 1995 and, after flying a season with Papillon Grand Canyon
> Helicopters, I had enough money to buy my dream aircraft, the RAF2000
> Gyro. The reason I was choosing the Gyro was the ability to land on
> country roads, stop the rotor and line it up fore and aft, and drive it
> like a motorcycle to a country gas station or big Truck Stop for a break,
> food and a shower and a motel for the night. Some time camping beside the
> aircraft was another possibility I was looking forward to. Adding the
> required lights, brakes and other safety equipment would be no problem and
> the Gyro can be licensed as a homebuilt motorcycle. I couldn't get my
> Sprint II ultralight street legal with the wings attached so it wouldn't
> be worth the bother.
>
> But even with it being street legal, too much driving on the tires would
> not be good for it although good street tires can be found I think.
>
> But health going down hill and getting married to a German Tourist I met
> flying over the Canyon put the plans on hold. But I still think about it.
>
> Reading all the posts here has been great. Posts about aircraft like the
> mini 500 and others are good reading. Is there a place where a person can
> go to see some of the helicopters people own here? Maybe someday I'll get
> back on track with my old plans.
>

> --
>
> boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Steve R
December 22nd 05, 12:19 AM
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in
message ...
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:34:19 -0800, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
> > wrote:
>
>>We were at the Spurling helicopter fly-in in Ok. and had finished flying
>>for
>>the day and were sipping on some beer when some young guy with some lady
>>in
>>what looked liked business attire, came out to the edge of the runway and
>>set a RC helo down and started fooling with it. As hard as a helicopter
>>is
>>to fly with all of the butt feedback, we pretty much backed away a bit to
>>get out of the shrapnel zone of broken blades. Pretty soon the RC helo
>>lifted off and it became apparent that this guy had a smoke system on
>>board.
>>Some of the maneuvers this guy did had all of the helo pilots that were
>>standing around bending and wiggling their hands trying to figure out just
>>what control inputs would be required to do what we were seeing. One of
>>the
>>maneuvers was a backward flight up a 45 degree line performing rolls. A
>>split S auto would be a piece of cake for this guy. We later found out
>>that
>>he was the current National Champion RC helo driver and the lady with him
>>was his corporate sponsor. Even tho this has been about three years ago,
>>can remember my mouth hanging open and saying things like: "Holy schit
>>did
>>you see that?" Until it got boring to repeat myself. We also found out
>>that his helicopter greatly exceeded the 10#/hp rule of thumb.
>
> RC helos are pretty impressive in the hands of someone who really
> knows how to fly 'em. The smoke may have been normal. We run our
> models on the rich side to keep the engines well lubed and cool.
> Smoke is a natural byproduct of the rich setting.
>
> Look on the net for videos of a guy named Alan Szabo Jr. flying his
> model. Impossible to see just which way the thing is pointed as he
> flies...

That's because the model never stays pointed in the same direction for more
the 0.00000002 seconds at a time!! :-o

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Steve R
December 22nd 05, 12:39 AM
Most folks here know I'm not a rated pilot for full size but if I may, this
is a story that someone else posted on this forum a number of years ago.
Nick Lampos I think? Anyway, I got such a kick out of it back then I'd like
to share.

It seem that the original poster had been in the office at the local FBO,
talking to the fuel guy. In the background, was the usual traffic one might
hear on the unicom frequency at your average uncontrolled field. There was
a helicopter student out on one of his first unsupervised solo flights. He
was returning to the field and announcing his intentions over the radio.
The transmission went something like this.

"???????? airport traffic, this is helicopter 1234C, five miles south,
inbound for ....... OH SH**!!, rpm, rpm, rpm, rpm, rpm, rpm, flare, flare,
flare, level, level, cushion, cushion, cushion ............. Oh my God!!!!!
I DID IT!"

I don't remember what the orginal poster said the problem was with the
aircraft but the engine had shut down for some reason. The student, having
keyed the microphone to announce his arrival in the pattern, never let go of
it when the engine quit and everyone got to listen to him talk himself
through the ensuing autorotation. Which, by the way, he executed perfectly.
Not even a scratch on the skids! The airport personnel went and picked up
the pilot and after thoroughly discussing the incident at the airport, went
to the local pub afterwards. The student bought the first round! :-)

When I first read that, I could see the entire incident in my mind. It was
wonderful. Maybe someone here will remember who originally told this story
or fill in any details I forgot or messed up.

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

boB
December 22nd 05, 01:40 AM
Leonard Ellis wrote:

> Actually, there was really no time for contemplation prior to landing, as
> I'm sure most pilots of single-engine, low-level helicopters will recognize.
> One's training kicks in and takes most of the "thinking" out of the
> situation, particularly when fast and low. I always loved the questions one
> gets from the maintenance guys after such an engine failure, "what was the
> oil temperature? pressure? N1 speed?" My usual answer "I don't know! I
> was busy trying to avoid flying into anything and then busy trying to land
> the aircraft without busting my ass!"

After a low side governor failure in a Bell 206B with French tourists on
board I was later asked if the RPM drooped as I pulled pitch to land. I
didn't think and said I didn't know, I was too busy making sure I had
zero ground run. Later I realized I wasn't flying Army helicopters any
longer and that the FAA is chomping at the bit suspend or revoke
certificates. Gotta watch your words now. :)

> Gyrocopters strike me as a little scary. Several guys 3 doors down from our
> Skyhawk's hanger have one. There ain't much to it. I don't think you can
> carry much more than yourself, a 16 oz bottle of water, and a toothbrush in
> one of those things. Still, I would like to try flying one someday.
>
> Cheers,
> Leonard

Yes, the RAF2000 has no space for bags or extras but i was planning on
using the second seat to carry all that stuff. Now married, plans
change. I would have liked doing that. I retired after 25 years and my
retirement pay, even as low as it was, would work out just fine for
flying around the country. Plus a Gyro is always in autorotation. How
safe is that. :)

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Steve R
December 22nd 05, 03:48 AM
"boB" > wrote in message

> Yes, the RAF2000 has no space for bags or extras but i was planning on
> using the second seat to carry all that stuff. Now married, plans change.
> I would have liked doing that. I retired after 25 years and my retirement
> pay, even as low as it was, would work out just fine for flying around the
> country. Plus a Gyro is always in autorotation. How safe is that. :)
>
> --
>
> boB,

Check out http://www.rotaryforum.com/index.php? for lots of good info on
gyroplanes. They're not airplanes and they're definitely not helicopters.

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

boB
December 22nd 05, 04:50 AM
Steve R wrote:

> Check out http://www.rotaryforum.com/index.php? for lots of good info on
> gyroplanes. They're not airplanes and they're definitely not helicopters.
>
> Fly Safe,
> Steve R.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

But back to the question, is there actually a RL helicopter owner here
with pictures of their aircraft? I would like to see the aircraft and
talk with the pilots. Who knows, maybe a Mini 500 would be better than
an RAF2000.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

kirt hood
December 22nd 05, 06:14 AM
Here's a link to the one I had, flew almost 300 hours and had a blast....
http://members.shaw.ca/m1.mustang/kirt.htm

"boB" > wrote in message
> Steve R wrote:
>

>> Check out http://www.rotaryforum.com/index.php? for lots of good info on
>> gyroplanes. They're not airplanes and they're definitely not
>> helicopters.
>>
>> Fly Safe,
>> Steve R.
>
> Thanks for clearing that up :)
>
> But back to the question, is there actually a RL helicopter owner here
> with pictures of their aircraft? I would like to see the aircraft and talk
> with the pilots. Who knows, maybe a Mini 500 would be better than an
> RAF2000.
>
> --
>
> boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Steve R
December 22nd 05, 07:29 PM
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in
message ...
> On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 00:19:27 GMT, "Steve R"
> > wrote:
>

>>That's because the model never stays pointed in the same direction for
>>more
>>the 0.00000002 seconds at a time!! :-o
>
> What I'd really like to know is how the judges can tell who flew the
> best.. Personally, I think guys like Szabo and Younblood are just
> REALLY good at recovering from "unusual" attitudes.

For 3D style flying, it's totally subjective. There are certain maneuvers
they look for but due to the nature of the style of flying, it's difficult
to be precise, at least not in the same way the F3C competitions are
precise. I've watched Curtis and I've watched Alan Szabo. Both of them are
incredably precise in what they do, relative to "average" 3D pilots, and
you're right, they "are" very good at recovering from unusual attitudes.
I'm just trying to get more comfortable with the basics of 3D flying but
considering my age and certain habits I've developed through the years, I
don't expect to get anywhere "near" what those two can do!

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

boB
December 23rd 05, 01:01 AM
kirt hood wrote:
> Here's a link to the one I had, flew almost 300 hours and had a blast....
> http://members.shaw.ca/m1.mustang/kirt.htm

That 500 looks like it would be a lot of fun to fly. It's one of the
first I considered back when I was looking. The only problem was the
single seat and no storage space. That wouldn't matter at all when
flying around home. Do you have any pictures of the cockpit? Thanks
for sending the link..

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Stuart & Kathryn Fields
December 26th 05, 07:01 PM
bob: You may want to consider the Helicycle: Single seat turbine powered
kit helicopter currently in production. There are somewhere around 20
flying. One report had one still climbing at 11,500 mol. The price is
competitive with the RAF2000 and has a lot more capability. We've been
trying to get the factory to provide the magazine a long term evaluation
model but no luck.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine
UP. OF. Box 1585

"boB" > wrote in message
> kirt hood wrote:
> > Here's a link to the one I had, flew almost 300 hours and had a
blast....
> > http://members.shaw.ca/m1.mustang/kirt.htm
> >

> That 500 looks like it would be a lot of fun to fly. It's one of the
> first I considered back when I was looking. The only problem was the
> single seat and no storage space. That wouldn't matter at all when
> flying around home. Do you have any pictures of the cockpit? Thanks
> for sending the link..
>
> --
>
> boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

kirt hood
December 26th 05, 08:07 PM
boB, I tried sending some pictures but they just came back as undeliverable
and I'm not sure how to or if even one is able to post photograghs on this
news group. There is storage space in the Mini on either side of the seat, I
had some stiff type bags molded to the floor with zipper type tops that
could hold the equivilant of about 4 gal. each that were secured for flying
with the doors off. Biggest issue was lack of power in the summer months
when one would want to go camping, but plenty of power when it was -10 deg.
C. Send me an e-mail address or a method of posting pictures and I'l be
happy to send you a few.
Kirt

"boB" > wrote in message
> kirt hood wrote:
>> Here's a link to the one I had, flew almost 300 hours and had a blast....
>> http://members.shaw.ca/m1.mustang/kirt.htm
>>

> That 500 looks like it would be a lot of fun to fly. It's one of the
> first I considered back when I was looking. The only problem was the
> single seat and no storage space. That wouldn't matter at all when flying
> around home. Do you have any pictures of the cockpit? Thanks for sending
> the link..
>
> --
>
> boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

boB
December 27th 05, 12:43 AM
kirt hood wrote:
> boB, I tried sending some pictures but they just came back as undeliverable
> and I'm not sure how to or if even one is able to post photograghs on this
> news group. There is storage space in the Mini on either side of the seat, I
> had some stiff type bags molded to the floor with zipper type tops that
> could hold the equivilant of about 4 gal. each that were secured for flying
> with the doors off. Biggest issue was lack of power in the summer months
> when one would want to go camping, but plenty of power when it was -10 deg.
> C. Send me an e-mail address or a method of posting pictures and I'l be
> happy to send you a few.
> Kirt

Hi kirt. Thanks for replying. You can go to http://xs.to and upload
even large pictures up to 1.4 meg I think. Then they are there for
others to see. I use that one plus http://imageshack.us

Both are easy and give you the html code for forums, e-mail, direct link
and others.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

boB
December 27th 05, 01:01 AM
Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:

> bob: You may want to consider the Helicycle: Single seat turbine powered
> kit helicopter currently in production. There are somewhere around 20
> flying. One report had one still climbing at 11,500 mol. The price is
> competitive with the RAF2000 and has a lot more capability. We've been
> trying to get the factory to provide the magazine a long term evaluation
> model but no luck.

Thanks Stuart. I have been reading the helicycle web page for a bit and
will finish later on. That's a nice little aircraft.

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Helper
December 27th 05, 08:12 AM
kirt hood wrote:

> I had some stiff type bags molded to the floor with zipper type tops
> that could hold the equivilant of about 4 gal. each that were secured
> for flying with the doors off.

Yes, the Mini-500 bags... it looks like fetters still has them available
http://www.fetters.co.uk/product_list.cfm?nav_category=4

Simon Robbins
December 28th 05, 10:57 AM
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in
message ...

> I not only visualized it, but tried it on my RC sim several times last
> night. 1 out of 10 ain't a good success rate. :)

Which sim have you got Kevin? I bought Reflex XTR the other day. I can't
get any of my radio functions to do throttle hold properly though, so I have
to hit the A key to enter an auto. Very impressed with the sim though. The
last one I owned was the original Realflight Deluxe and this is a light year
ahead of that.

Si

Steve R
January 1st 06, 09:58 PM
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in
message ...

> Flying ol' reliable G2. Works fine for me although I'd love to see
> the new eye-candy in G3 or XTR. Can't justify the $$ right now as the
> new electric foamy bipe I'm building is killing my wallet. (Not to
> mention Christmas and the little mini-vacation I just got back from)

I've seen and flown the G2. Maybe it was the program or just the computer
that was running it but I really wasn't that impressed. It's Ok if that's
all you've ever seen.

I think you'll find the G3 and XTR are head and shoulders better than the
G2. :-)

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Google