PDA

View Full Version : Ads-B weather

John Theune
December 19th 05, 04:10 PM
I was just reading a article in AOPA Pilot about this service. One of
the things that jumped out is that they are providing the weather info
for free as opposed to the 30-60$ price for XM info. Has anyone looked
into this or have any real world info? The article indicated that the
only experiance as of summer of 05 was a garmin displaying on a MX-20
but also said other players were getting into the picture. It did sound
interesting.

John

Jimbob
December 20th 05, 03:33 AM
I have been jazzed about this for over a year. It is a very slick
system with room for expanded services.. No first hand info, although
I would love to hear some. It requires a Mode-S (digital) transponder
like the Garmin 330 and a compatible display. I think the 430's and
above will work with it.

Currently, Alaska and the East cost in the mid-atlantic region have
good coverage with others coming online next year. Map here:

http://www.flyadsb.com/

More info:

http://www.flyingmag.com/article.asp?section_id=12&article_id=587&print_page=y

My buddy and I are looking to build an RV and we are planning to
install the garmin mode-s.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:10:42 GMT, John Theune >
wrote:

>I was just reading a article in AOPA Pilot about this service. One of
>the things that jumped out is that they are providing the weather info
>for free as opposed to the 30-60$ price for XM info. Has anyone looked
>into this or have any real world info? The article indicated that the
>only experiance as of summer of 05 was a garmin displaying on a MX-20
>but also said other players were getting into the picture. It did sound
>interesting.
>
>John

Jim

http://www.unconventional-wisdom.org

Steve S
December 21st 05, 01:58 AM
"Jimbob" > wrote in message
>I have been jazzed about this for over a year. It is a very slick
> system with room for expanded services.. No first hand info, although
> I would love to hear some. It requires a Mode-S (digital) transponder
> like the Garmin 330 and a compatible display. I think the 430's and
> above will work with it.
>
> Currently, Alaska and the East cost in the mid-atlantic region have
> good coverage with others coming online next year. Map here:
>
> http://www.flyadsb.com/

Not exactly. You do not need a mode S transponder. Currently only Garmin
has a box that will work with ADS-B, the GDL-90 contains the receiver and
transmitter (including WAAS GPS). It only works with the MX-20. no other
display or GPS.

I seriously looked into it before settling on the mx-20 coupled to the
GTX-330 and GDL-69a. The free weather does you no good if you can't receive
it due to being outside the broadcast are. I think it's a few years away
yet.

Peter Clark
December 21st 05, 01:23 PM
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:58:04 -0500, "Steve S" >
wrote:

>"Jimbob" > wrote in message
>>I have been jazzed about this for over a year. It is a very slick
>> system with room for expanded services.. No first hand info, although
>> I would love to hear some. It requires a Mode-S (digital) transponder
>> like the Garmin 330 and a compatible display. I think the 430's and
>> above will work with it.
>>
>> Currently, Alaska and the East cost in the mid-atlantic region have
>> good coverage with others coming online next year. Map here:
>>
>> http://www.flyadsb.com/
>>

>Not exactly. You do not need a mode S transponder. Currently only Garmin
>has a box that will work with ADS-B, the GDL-90 contains the receiver and
>transmitter (including WAAS GPS). It only works with the MX-20. no other
>display or GPS.

The King KT73 supposedly does ADS-B.

https://www3.bendixking.com/static/catalog/viewproductdetails.jsp?pid=136

Jimbob
December 21st 05, 02:17 PM
wrote:

>Not exactly. You do not need a mode S transponder. Currently only Garmin
>has a box that will work with ADS-B, the GDL-90 contains the receiver and
>transmitter (including WAAS GPS). It only works with the MX-20. no other
>display or GPS.

Thank you for pointing that out. Some of the info I have read is
wrong. It appears that Mode-S allows you get some of the TIS
broadcasts, but not full ADS-B. You need a UAT, which the GDL-90 is.

I stand corrected.

>I seriously looked into it before settling on the mx-20 coupled to the
>GTX-330 and GDL-69a. The free weather does you no good if you can't receive
>it due to being outside the broadcast are. I think it's a few years away
>yet.

Where are you located?

Jim

http://www.unconventional-wisdom.org

Steve S
December 21st 05, 08:44 PM
"Peter Clark" > wrote in message

> The King KT73 supposedly does ADS-B.
>
> https://www3.bendixking.com/static/catalog/viewproductdetails.jsp?pid=136

That transponder is Mode - S for traffic, utilizing TIS-A. They get the
feed from ATC only. It says it's field upgradable for ADS-B, but that is
for traffic (TIS-B) only enabling it to transmit it's position directly to
ATC (and assumably other aircraft). It doesn't say whether it will read
other aircraft's ads-b transmitters.

Also, this transponder doesn't receive FIS (Flight Information System) which
is what provides the weather data.

Newps
December 21st 05, 09:47 PM
Steve S wrote:
> "Peter Clark" > wrote in message
>
>>The King KT73 supposedly does ADS-B.
>>
>>https://www3.bendixking.com/static/catalog/viewproductdetails.jsp?pid=136
>

> That transponder is Mode - S for traffic, utilizing TIS-A. They get the
> feed from ATC only. It says it's field upgradable for ADS-B, but that is
> for traffic (TIS-B) only enabling it to transmit it's position directly to
> ATC (and assumably other aircraft). It doesn't say whether it will read
> other aircraft's ads-b transmitters.
>
> Also, this transponder doesn't receive FIS (Flight Information System) which
> is what provides the weather data.

There seems to be some confusion here. ADS-B is independent of the
transponder. You don't even have to have one installed. As more
stations come on line there will be more receivers available. I expect
that most will be portable, like the Garmin 396.

Steve S
December 22nd 05, 11:29 PM
I agree
"Newps" > wrote in message
. ..

> There seems to be some confusion here. ADS-B is independent of the
> transponder. You don't even have to have one installed. As more stations
> come on line there will be more receivers available. I expect that most
> will be portable, like the Garmin 396.

I agree however the king mode-s transponder info page says:

The KT 73 is fully field-upgradeable (software only) to include
air-to-ground Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B) operation.
This transponder function enables aircraft to transmit position, altitude
and vector information derived from the onboard GPS system for use by ATC
facilites.

https://www3.bendixking.com/static/catalog/viewproductdetails.jsp?pid=136

Makes it a little confusing doesn't it?

Newps
December 23rd 05, 12:45 AM
Steve S wrote:

> The KT 73 is fully field-upgradeable (software only) to include
> air-to-ground Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B) operation.
> This transponder function enables aircraft to transmit position, altitude
> and vector information derived from the onboard GPS system for use by ATC
> facilites.
>
> https://www3.bendixking.com/static/catalog/viewproductdetails.jsp?pid=136
>
> Makes it a little confusing doesn't it?

Your transponder would allow ATC and everyone else to know you are
there. But no transponder is needed to see other traffic. You could
have the device in your car and see the airplane traffic around you.

Google