PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas to RAH Crowd

BobR
December 22nd 05, 07:57 PM
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all you hangar bums. I haven't
been around much lately, too busy with work and trying to move. Hope
to be settled with the first of the year and get back in the swing of
things.

Bob Reed

Ed Sullivan
December 23rd 05, 12:01 AM
On 22 Dec 2005 11:57:23 -0800, "BobR" >
wrote:

>Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all you hangar bums. I haven't
>been around much lately, too busy with work and trying to move. Hope
>to be settled with the first of the year and get back in the swing of
>things.
>
>Bob Reed

Merry Christmas to all including Badwater Grinch!!

Flyingmonk
December 23rd 05, 12:37 AM
Merry Christmas to you Bob... and to the rest of the RAH crowd also:

I have posted the story below before, but it is My Christmas Story, so
I'll share it again... :^)

My grandfather came to the US to visit us a few years back. He stayed
for a year. He came in the Fall and made a comment about how all the
trees in the US are dying. "What is going on here in the US, why are
all the trees dying?", he said. "The mountains are becoming bald!(In
Thailand, trees don't loose their leaves, they are green all year
round.)

I took my girls to a tree farm and cut our Chritsmas tree. We brought
it home and decorate it like we do every year. "Why are you people
worshiping trees?", asked granddad. "Why are you giving that tree so
many presents?"

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Morgans
December 23rd 05, 01:10 AM
"Ed Sullivan" > wrote

Hey Ed, I thought you were dead? ;-)

Now, isn't THAT (Merry Christmas to all including Badwater Grinch!!) taking
it a bit too far? <g>

Really, Merry Christmas to All AND Bill ! :-)
--
Jim in NC

UltraJohn
December 23rd 05, 01:26 AM
BobR wrote:

> Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all you hangar bums. I haven't
> been around much lately, too busy with work and trying to move. Hope
> to be settled with the first of the year and get back in the swing of
> things.
>
> Bob Reed

Merry Christmas to you all (even the allah dude!) and happy New Year filled
with many hours in the air!
John

Scott
December 23rd 05, 01:31 AM
Here is Wisconsin our trees don't "loose" their leaves, they out and out
"lose" them (except Pine trees)! It's so dern cold I think they freeze
off ;) Actually, I'm lying...today it hit 38 and I was out in just a
sweatshirt (and the rest of my clothes, just NO JACKET)...Happy holidays
to all...

Scott

Flyingmonk wrote:

(In
> Thailand, trees don't loose their leaves, they are green all year
> round.)
>

> Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Flyingmonk
December 23rd 05, 01:36 AM
>Here is Wisconsin our trees don't "loose" their leaves, they out and out "lose" them (except Pine trees)!

Thanks for poiting out that typo. :^)

Flyingmonk
December 23rd 05, 01:46 AM
http://www.reuters.hu/card_dom/index_content.html

Rich S.
December 23rd 05, 02:34 AM
"Flyingmonk" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://www.reuters.hu/card_dom/index_content.html

Kewl! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Rich S.

Orval Fairbairn
December 23rd 05, 02:54 AM
In article t>,
UltraJohn > wrote:

> BobR wrote:
>
> > Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all you hangar bums. I haven't
> > been around much lately, too busy with work and trying to move. Hope
> > to be settled with the first of the year and get back in the swing of
> > things.
> >
> > Bob Reed
>
> Merry Christmas to you all (even the allah dude!) and happy New Year filled
> with many hours in the air!
> John

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all the RAH crowd, too!

Remember -- every time somebody says, "Happy Holidays", an elf dies!

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.

Morgans
December 23rd 05, 04:27 AM
"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote

> Remember -- every time somebody says, "Happy Holidays", an elf dies!

Or elf what? :-)
--
Jim in NC

Ron Wanttaja
December 23rd 05, 07:10 AM
On Thu, 22 Dec 2005 23:27:42 -0500, "Morgans" > wrote:

>"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote
>
>> Remember -- every time somebody says, "Happy Holidays", an elf dies!
>
>Or elf what? :-)

Reminds me of where I used to work, three years ago. It was a woo-woo high-tech
dot com (now another dot gone) in a snazzy office tower. The main entry on the
ground floor had a two-story foyer, which was open to our second-story office
area. Somehow, it ended up with killer acoustics. Our office
manager/entertainment director capitalized on this...she had musicians and
singers come in and set up in the lobby, and you could hear it perfectly just by
leaning on rail to our office area. She once had an operatic friend come in to
perform, and even for those who didn't care for the classics, it was a real cool
show.

Unfortunately, we didn't own the building and didn't control what happened in
the foyer. Once a year, at Christmas time, one of the other offices in the
building would set up there for a huge chess tournament. These guys were
raucous! They'd yell and insult each other, and brag on how much they'd beat
their last opponent, and it would echo all through our office area.

It was pretty ugly. There's really nothing worse than chess nuts boasting in an
open foyer.....

Ron "Gud Yule" Wanttaja

Morgans
December 23rd 05, 09:21 AM
"Ron Wanttaja" > wrote

> It was pretty ugly. There's really nothing worse than chess nuts boasting
in an
> open foyer.....

That's so baaaad! <g>

You ought to write a book, or somethin'. Humor like that just might sell,
better than something on....airplanes? <bfg>
--
Jim in NC

Ian Donaldson
December 23rd 05, 10:22 AM
That reminds me of the story of a head priest, in fact he was a prior, and
he used to give stirring sermons in his church.

He had a great following of parishioners and one in particular became a
great fan of his who followed his every move.

The prior developed a heart condition and would die without a transplant, so
his greatest fan volunteered his own heart so the prior might live.

I guess that the moral of the story is "out of the prying fan into the
prior"

regards

Ian

> It was pretty ugly. There's really nothing worse than chess nuts boasting
> in an
> open foyer.....

RST Engineering
December 23rd 05, 04:07 PM
Which reminds me of the story of the armless man that applied for the job of
bellringer at the church. THe priest asked how he intended to pull the bell
ropes. THe man replied that he wasn't going to use ropes, just bash the
bells with his head. Sure enough, the bells had the most melodious tone
when struck this way.

One Sunday, in a fit of exuberance, the bellringer took aim at a bell,
missed it by a foot, and tumbled out of the belltower. THe crowd gathered
around and asked who this man was. The priest said, "I don't know his
name, but his face sure rings a bell."

THe next day, the bellringer's brother applied for the (now vacant) job.
Same story, same results, same crowd, same question. THis time the priest
said, "I don't know his name, but he is a dead ringer for his brother."

Jim

"Ian Donaldson" > wrote in message
> That reminds me of the story of a head priest, in fact he was a prior, and
> he used to give stirring sermons in his church.

Ed Sullivan
December 23rd 05, 04:38 PM
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 08:07:15 -0800, "RST Engineering"
> wrote:

>THe next day, the bellringer's brother applied for the (now vacant) job.
>Same story, same results, same crowd, same question. THis time the priest
>said, "I don't know his name, but he is a dead ringer for his brother."
>

>Jim

Two men were sitting in their boat under a pier fishing. They heard
measured footsteps above them sort of
like someone was carefully stepping on each board. This continued to
the end and a small boy came tumbling into the water. They hurriedly
rowed over and pulled him spluttering from the water and asked him why
he had done that. He replied " I guess that shows when you're out of
slats, you're out of pier."

Anthony W
December 23rd 05, 11:47 PM
> Unfortunately, we didn't own the building and didn't control what happened in
> the foyer. Once a year, at Christmas time, one of the other offices in the
> building would set up there for a huge chess tournament. These guys were
> raucous! They'd yell and insult each other, and brag on how much they'd beat
> their last opponent, and it would echo all through our office area.
>
> It was pretty ugly. There's really nothing worse than chess nuts boasting in an
> open foyer.....
>
> Ron "Gud Yule" Wanttaja

I can't come close to topping this groaner but maybe you'll like this one.

Preacher's Story
----------------

A preacher who wanted to raise money for his church was told there was a
fortune in horse racing, so he decided to buy a horse and enter it in
the races. However, at the local auction, the going price for horses was
so steep that the preacher ended up buying a donkey instead. He figured,
however, that since he had it, he might as well go ahead and enter it in
the races. To his surprise, in the first race, his donkey came in
second.
The next day the paper read

PREACHER'S ASS SHOWS.

The preacher was so pleased that he entered the donkey in another
race. This time, it won, and the paper read

PREACHER'S ASS OUT IN FRONT.

The Bishop was so upset with this kind of publicity that he ordered the
preacher not to enter the donkey in another race. The new headline read

BISHOP SCRATCHES PREACHER'S ASS.

This was too much for the Bishop, and he ordered the preacher to get rid
of the animal. The preacher, being a charitable chap, gave it to a nun
in a nearby convent. The headline the next day said

NUN HAS BEST ASS IN TOWN.

The Bishop fainted! He told the nun that she would have to dispose of
the donkey, and she finally found a farmer who would take it off her
hands for ten dollars. The paper said

NUN PEDDLES ASS FOR TEN BUCKS

They buried the Bishop the next day ...

Morgans
December 24th 05, 12:46 AM
"Ed Sullivan" > wrote

> He replied " I guess that shows when you're out of
> slats, you're out of pier."

<great big chuckle>

I think you have to remember the commercial, to get that one. I'll bet
there are many here that have no idea what that is a play on! <g>
--
Jim in NC

Don Lewis n FTW
December 24th 05, 01:20 AM
"Morgans" > wrote in message ...

> "Ed Sullivan" > wrote
>
>> He replied " I guess that shows when you're out of
>> slats, you're out of pier."
>

> <great big chuckle>
>
> I think you have to remember the commercial, to get that one. I'll bet
> there are many here that have no idea what that is a play on! <g>
> --
> Jim in NC

Blatz beer............ IIRC.....

Morgans
December 24th 05, 03:50 AM
"Richard Riley" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 01:20:24 GMT, "Don Lewis n FTW"
> > wrote:
>
> :> I think you have to remember the commercial, to get that one. I'll bet
> :> there are many here that have no idea what that is a play on! <g>
> :> --
> :> Jim in NC
> :>
> :
> :Blatz beer............ IIRC.....
> :
> Schlitz.

I think you are both right.

I recall it being Blatz, then Blatz being bought out by Schlitz, so they
used the jingle for a while. I used to own many shares of stock in both of
those companies. I bought about 12 shares, almost every night! <g>

Shudder!!!
--
Jim in NC

ChuckSlusarczyk
December 24th 05, 04:38 AM
In article >, Morgans says...

>"Ed Sullivan" > wrote
>
>> He replied " I guess that shows when you're out of
>> slats, you're out of pier."
>

><great big chuckle>
>
>I think you have to remember the commercial, to get that one. I'll bet
>there are many here that have no idea what that is a play on! <g>

I remember only too well ...sigh means I'm gettin' old :-)

"When your out of Blatz your out of beer"

Wesolych swiat and to everyone else Merry Christmas

See ya

Chuck (old enough to remember Rinso) S

Montblack
December 24th 05, 04:39 AM
("Morgans" wrote)
> I recall it being Blatz, then Blatz being bought out by Schlitz, so they
> used the jingle for a while. I used to own many shares of stock in both
> of
> those companies. I bought about 12 shares, almost every night! <g>
>
> Shudder!!!

Where to start? You're not right. <g>

http://www.geocities.com/foodedge/jingles1.html
Jingles

Schlitz was bought out by Stroh's in 1982 - tail wagging the dog.

I worked at Hamm's, in St. Paul, during this mess (below link). We at Hamm's
in St Paul were bought by (I think in this order) Heileman who quickly
traded us to Pabst, who then swapped breweries with Stroh's (1983) - so we
ended up with them, Stroh's - brewing Old Milwaukee, Schlitz, Schlitz Malt
Liquor, (The original) Red Bull Malt Liquor, Goebel, Schaefer, Stroh's, Lone
Star, Erlanger, some others I've forgotten ...like White Mountain (think
Smirnoff or Zima) ...But not Hamm's anymore.

In around 1996 Heileman bought Stroh's - a shell of its former self. For the
first time Schlitz and Blatz were together. Lord knows who owns who now!

http://www.chiptin.com/schlitz/history6.htm
(From the link)
"Even after closing the Milwaukee plant the problems continued. In October
1981, Heileman and Schlitz worked out a deal that would allow Heileman to
purchase the company. During negotiations, Pabst topped the Heileman bid
after Schlitz's board had already ratified the Heileman offer. A takeover
battle then ensued with both Pabst and Heileman eager to acquire Schlitz to
improve their national positions. Schlitz continued to support the Heileman
offer, but an official report from the Justice Department declared that the
merger would be challenged in federal courts, thus the merger was called
off. 3-111

In March 1982, the Stroh Brewing Company of Detroit made its own offer to
purchase Schlitz, no one took the offer seriously thinking it would suffer
the same ending. Yet when Schlitz accepted Stroh's five hundred million
dollar offer, the Justice Department surprisingly approved the deal,
provided that Stroh's sell either the Schlitz Winston-Salem or Memphis plant
to a brewer other than the big two.

On June 10, 1982, the Jos. Schlitz Brewing Co. was acquired by Stroh Brewing
Co. of Detroit, and a famous firm and Slogan passed into history."

<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2005/08/21/bring_back_the_gusto/>
More Schlitz stuff

Montblack

Montblack
December 24th 05, 05:57 AM
"ChuckSlusarczyk"
> I remember only too well ...sigh means I'm gettin' old :-)
>
> "When your out of Blatz your out of beer"
>
> Wesolych swiat and to everyone else Merry Christmas

Sorry, Schlitz.

http://www.geocities.com/foodedge/jingles1.html
"There's just one Schlitz, yeah, yeah, nothing else comes near. When you're
out of Schlitz, you're out of beer.

If you like it light with a good taste too, There's only one brew that will
do. When you're out of Schlitz, you're out of beer. Real gusto in a great,
light beer--Schlitz!"

Mont-greatwhitenorth-black
'I've got flagging neck labels' ...BTDT (hehehe)
The Adventures of Bob & Doug McKenzie:
Strange Brew (1983)

Morgans
December 24th 05, 07:16 AM
"Montblack" > wrote

> Where to start? You're not right. <g>

Interesting history. Surprisingly, I'm not surprised that I wasn't right!

After all, I WAS drinking a 12 pack most nights, and still reliably holding
down a job. I would have to say at that point, I was pretty close to going
over the edge, but I held it together.

They key factor for buying beer at the time, was (not surprisingly) cost.
When Stilts, or whoever went over $2.65, it was time to change brands.
(again)
--
Jim in NC

Ron Wanttaja
December 24th 05, 07:32 AM
On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 03:25:00 -0500, "Morgans" > wrote:

>"Richard Riley" > wrote
>
>> Lessee. 12 x 12 oz = 1.125 GALLONS!! Jeez, I can't drink that much
>> water in a day!!
>
>Neither can I! That water is terrible stuff. It has no taste!

And to quote the magnificent W. C. Fields: "I don't drink water... fish f**k in
it...."

Ron Wanttaja

Morgans
December 24th 05, 08:25 AM
"Richard Riley" > wrote

> Lessee. 12 x 12 oz = 1.125 GALLONS!! Jeez, I can't drink that much
> water in a day!!

Neither can I! That water is terrible stuff. It has no taste!
--
Jim in NC

Flyingmonk
December 26th 05, 02:24 AM
Did you guys see the Miller light commercial? It actually featured
this "Christmas light" house.

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/1094/
http://www.compfused.com/directlink/1022/

Google