PDA

View Full Version : Sonerai Wing Plans for study?

rocketeer
December 24th 05, 11:22 PM
Hi Group!

I have been away so long. I am not someone any out there are familiar
with. A lurker at best.

I am now ready to start building my Renegade Formula V again. But, the
wings are wood...

Does any one have any study plans available for the Sonerai I? I would
like to see what can be done for my Renegade. Metal wings would be
easier for me to work with.

Curtis Scholl

rckchp
December 27th 05, 05:11 AM
Several years ago a Sonerai lost a wing making a high G turn during an
air race conducted by the Formula V Air Racing Association, resulting
in a fatal crash. The Formula V group then hired a professional
aeronautical engineer to conduct a design study and and a wing
strengthen modification was the result, which was made mandatory for
all racing Sonerais. You may wish to contact the Formula V people for
details : http://www.formulav.com/

Rich A.
rocketeer wrote:
> Hi Group!
>
> I have been away so long. I am not someone any out there are familiar
> with. A lurker at best.
>
> I am now ready to start building my Renegade Formula V again. But, the
> wings are wood...
>
> Does any one have any study plans available for the Sonerai I? I would
> like to see what can be done for my Renegade. Metal wings would be
> easier for me to work with.
>
> Curtis Scholl

Morgans
December 27th 05, 07:02 AM
"rckchp" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Several years ago a Sonerai lost a wing making a high G turn during an
> air race conducted by the Formula V Air Racing Association, resulting
> in a fatal crash. The Formula V group then hired a professional
> aeronautical engineer to conduct a design study and and a wing
> strengthen modification was the result, which was made mandatory for
> all racing Sonerais. You may wish to contact the Formula V people for
> details : http://www.formulav.com/

I think this post is very telling, in why you have not had any other posts
answering your questions.

It is a very risky procedure, to start major design modifications, or
substitutions to a critical structure, like a wing. If it fails, you are
probably dead.

No one here is likely to be very comfortable having any part of advising, or
being an accomplice of such a substitution of such magnitude and scope.

So although I think it is a bit of a cliché, If you have to ask, you don't
know enough to be asking.

My best advise? Build it as drawn, or find a plan that has what you want,
in the original design.
--
Jim in NC

rocketeer
January 1st 06, 10:55 PM

> So although I think it is a bit of a cliché, If you have to ask, you don't
> know enough to be asking.

Ya know something, this cliche is bit worn, tired and pulled out every
time somebody asks for something different.

I am aware of the very same bit of folklore. That does not keep one from
trying to improve the item. I do NOT want a wood wing. If the Sonerai
wing is good enough to fly in a 2 place in a normal flight mode, then it
is good enough. I am NOT racing the thing, or flying an aerobatic show.

I do know enough to ask. That is why I am asking. To engineer a better
spar is NOT the issue. We still do not have enough information about the
accident to decide if the spar failed, or the wing failed in flexure, or
the guy that built it failed to insure the proper build. The engineer
was not consulted to fix the issue, just to analyze the outcome of a
failed wing.

There are a number of formula one racers out there exchanging wings that
are wood with foam and fiberglass, sheet, or other medium. Why should a
Formula V aircraft be any different.

And to hire an engineer to fix the issue is in the works.

Thanks for asking.

Curtis Scholl

Curtis Scholl
January 1st 06, 11:10 PM
Rich A.

Thanks for the information. And a message is in the works to the Formula
V pres and treasurer to point me in the correct direction on the wing
modifications. The treasurer is not that far away from my location. At
least I will see if the group is still active.

Thanks again.

Curtis Scholl

rckchp wrote:

> Several years ago a Sonerai lost a wing making a high G turn during an
> air race conducted by the Formula V Air Racing Association, resulting
> in a fatal crash. The Formula V group then hired a professional
> aeronautical engineer to conduct a design study and and a wing
> strengthen modification was the result, which was made mandatory for
> all racing Sonerais. You may wish to contact the Formula V people for
> details : http://www.formulav.com/
>
> Rich A.
> rocketeer wrote:
>
>>Hi Group!
>>
>>I have been away so long. I am not someone any out there are familiar
>>with. A lurker at best.
>>
>>I am now ready to start building my Renegade Formula V again. But, the
>>wings are wood...
>>
>>Does any one have any study plans available for the Sonerai I? I would
>>like to see what can be done for my Renegade. Metal wings would be
>>easier for me to work with.
>>
>>Curtis Scholl

Curtis Scholl
January 1st 06, 11:22 PM
MorganS:

I stand corrected, the engineer DID come up with the modifications
required to make the wing work in High stress air racing environments.
The request for the source of the information is on it's way.

And I will be buying the plans for the Sonerai, but not for the
fuselage. After looking at Cassutt and Renegade plans for the
specifications, materials and such and looking at what Ib Hansen did for
his aircraft, I think I am in the correct ballpark.

It is wise that the people on this newgroup not advise. I was not asking
for advice from the newsgroup. Only asking for a source of study plans.
And someone was kind enough to supply the name of GPASC. That is enough.

Curtis Scholl

Morgans wrote:

> "rckchp" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>Several years ago a Sonerai lost a wing making a high G turn during an
>>air race conducted by the Formula V Air Racing Association, resulting
>>in a fatal crash. The Formula V group then hired a professional
>>aeronautical engineer to conduct a design study and and a wing
>>strengthen modification was the result, which was made mandatory for
>>all racing Sonerais. You may wish to contact the Formula V people for
>>details : http://www.formulav.com/
>

> I think this post is very telling, in why you have not had any other posts
> answering your questions.
>
> It is a very risky procedure, to start major design modifications, or
> substitutions to a critical structure, like a wing. If it fails, you are
> probably dead.
>
> No one here is likely to be very comfortable having any part of advising, or
> being an accomplice of such a substitution of such magnitude and scope.
>
> So although I think it is a bit of a cliché, If you have to ask, you don't
> know enough to be asking.
>
> My best advise? Build it as drawn, or find a plan that has what you want,
> in the original design.

Google