PDA

View Full Version : trying to find aviation book

Nobody
December 28th 05, 12:42 AM
Recently I saw a special on The History Channel called "Dogfights". It
mentioned a book by Frederick C. "Boots" Blesse titled "No Guts, No Glory".
I have not been able to find this book for sale anywhere. Does anyone know
where I may find a copy of this book?

Thanks in advance.

Dan Foster
December 28th 05, 01:10 AM
In article >, Nobody > wrote:
> Recently I saw a special on The History Channel called "Dogfights". It
> mentioned a book by Frederick C. "Boots" Blesse titled "No Guts, No Glory".
> I have not been able to find this book for sale anywhere. Does anyone know
> where I may find a copy of this book?

It was originally a 30 page manual written in 1955 for U.S. Air Force
fighter pilots regarding tactical maneuvers, and was classified at the
time. They were USAF issued to pilots as recently as 1973, that I am
aware of.

However, I think I once heard somewhere that another of his books,
'Check Six' includes a reprint of the 30 page 'No Guts, No Glory' manual
at the end?

'Check Six' is unclassified and available for purchase.

Amazon sells it through other booksellers for as little as one cent for
the paperback edition of 'Check Six'.

Someone in rec.aviation.military would probably know for sure if 'Check
Six' does indeed have a reprint of 'No Guts, No Glory' in it.

-Dan

Dudley Henriques
December 28th 05, 01:32 AM
"Nobody" > wrote in message
> Recently I saw a special on The History Channel called "Dogfights". It
> mentioned a book by Frederick C. "Boots" Blesse titled "No Guts, No
> Glory".
> I have not been able to find this book for sale anywhere. Does anyone
> know
> where I may find a copy of this book?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Boots wrote NGNG on 8 1/2 x 11 typewriter paper while he was an 86 driver in
Korea. I have an early copy of this work. Its not a book, but rather a short
course in basic ACM and tactics for the 86 against the Mig 15 written on the
base ops typewriter.
The piece is very short. My copy is 41 pages counting illustrations.
I'd be surprised if you could find the piece in book form, but nothing's
impossible.
Boots was living in Florida last I heard; Melborne if I remember right. It
was some time ago.
Perhaps a call to information there will uncover something concrete you can
pursue.
Dudley Henriques

Larry Dighera
December 28th 05, 02:02 AM