PDA

View Full Version : Teen driver hits parked jet at KTEB

Michael Ware
January 13th 06, 02:42 AM
http://hercules.rr.com/rr/static/video/ap/select/11206/0112dv_jersey_jeep_ISDN_Large.swf

Peter R.
January 13th 06, 04:59 AM
Michael Ware > wrote:

> http://hercules.rr.com/rr/static/video/ap/select/11206/0112dv_jersey_jeep_ISDN_Large.swf

It's the auto world getting back at the aviation world for the takeoff
overrun accident at Teterboro last year.

--
Peter

Andrew Gideon
January 13th 06, 07:14 PM
Peter R. wrote:

> Michael Ware > wrote:

http://hercules.rr.com/rr/static/video/ap/select/11206/0112dv_jersey_jeep_ISDN_Large.swf

> It's the auto world getting back at the aviation world for the takeoff
> overrun accident at Teterboro last year.

They should move or close that road. It's an unreasonable hazard for the
airport, and it's become much busier than it was when the airport was first
built.

- Andrew

Gig 601XL Builder
January 13th 06, 08:13 PM
"Andrew Gideon" > wrote in message
online.com...
> Peter R. wrote:
>
>> Michael Ware > wrote:
>>

> http://hercules.rr.com/rr/static/video/ap/select/11206/0112dv_jersey_jeep_ISDN_Large.swf
>>
>> It's the auto world getting back at the aviation world for the takeoff
>> overrun accident at Teterboro last year.
>
> They should move or close that road. It's an unreasonable hazard for the
> airport, and it's become much busier than it was when the airport was
> first
> built.
>
> - Andrew

It does look like the road is very close but where isn't a road close to
something you don't want to hit?

Flyingmonk
January 13th 06, 08:20 PM
They should put up a brick wall or a much stronger fence. Ouch for the
jet's owner. I wonder if this will make it to the a/c's log book as
damaged or involved in a collision.

The Monk

George Patterson
January 13th 06, 08:46 PM
Michael Ware wrote:
> http://hercules.rr.com/rr/static/video/ap/select/11206/0112dv_jersey_jeep_ISDN_Large.swf

They claim the jet received "minor damage." I bet that teenager will be amazed
at how much it costs to repair minor damage on a plane.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.

Robert M. Gary
January 13th 06, 08:50 PM
As a father, I just hope her dad bought lots of insurance!!

-Robert

Darkwing
January 13th 06, 09:21 PM
"Andrew Gideon" > wrote in message
online.com...
> Peter R. wrote:
>
>> Michael Ware > wrote:
>>

> http://hercules.rr.com/rr/static/video/ap/select/11206/0112dv_jersey_jeep_ISDN_Large.swf
>>
>> It's the auto world getting back at the aviation world for the takeoff
>> overrun accident at Teterboro last year.
>
> They should move or close that road. It's an unreasonable hazard for the
> airport, and it's become much busier than it was when the airport was
> first
> built.
>
> - Andrew

I agree, it is time they get those dangerous roads away from our airports
and airplanes. Those roads also have noisy, stinky vehicles that drive by
all times of the day and night, makes it hard to enjoy the ramp on a nice
spring day.

DW

Andrew Gideon
January 13th 06, 10:08 PM
"Darkwing" <theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com> wrote:

> hose roads also have noisy, stinky vehicles that drive by
> all times of the day and night, makes it hard to enjoy the ramp on a nice
> spring day.

That road noise is also dangerous. It can be very distracting during the
run-up, for example, when one wants to be sure that all checklist items are
covered.

There ought to be a law.

- Andrew

.Blueskies.
January 13th 06, 10:53 PM
"George Patterson" > wrote in message news:okUxf.424$sq.195@trnddc01...
> Michael Ware wrote:
>> http://hercules.rr.com/rr/static/video/ap/select/11206/0112dv_jersey_jeep_ISDN_Large.swf
>
> They claim the jet received "minor damage." I bet that teenager will be amazed at how much it costs to repair minor
> damage on a plane.
>
> George Patterson

Looks like it pushed the jet around about 10° out of line. I'll bet the damage is far from minor....

.Blueskies.
January 13th 06, 11:06 PM
"Andrew Gideon" > wrote in message online.com...
> "Darkwing" <theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> hose roads also have noisy, stinky vehicles that drive by
>> all times of the day and night, makes it hard to enjoy the ramp on a nice
>> spring day.
>
> That road noise is also dangerous. It can be very distracting during the
> run-up, for example, when one wants to be sure that all checklist items are
> covered.
>
> There ought to be a law.
>
> - Andrew

Not to mention headlights shining when you are taking off into that black dark sky!

John Huthmaker
January 13th 06, 11:08 PM
Yeah, hopefully he/she has more than state mandated minimums on the
insurance. Seeing as learjets (used) start at around $2,000,000.00. It
looked like the right wing was thrashed.

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com
"George Patterson" > wrote in message
> Michael Ware wrote:
>> http://hercules.rr.com/rr/static/video/ap/select/11206/0112dv_jersey_jeep_ISDN_Large.swf
>
> They claim the jet received "minor damage." I bet that teenager will be
> amazed at how much it costs to repair minor damage on a plane.
>
> George Patterson
> Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
> your slightly older self.

John Huthmaker
January 13th 06, 11:10 PM
No problem for the parents. The teenager was 18.

John

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> As a father, I just hope her dad bought lots of insurance!!
>
> -Robert

Montblack
January 13th 06, 11:53 PM
(".Blueskies." wrote)
> Looks like it pushed the jet around about 10° out of line. I'll bet the
> damage is far from minor....

Dad standing in teenager's bedroom doorway holding two bills: This month's
cell phone overages and a Learjet repair bill.

Montblack

Roy Smith
January 14th 06, 12:46 AM
In article >,
"Montblack" > wrote:

> (".Blueskies." wrote)
> > Looks like it pushed the jet around about 10° out of line. I'll bet the
> > damage is far from minor....
>

> Dad standing in teenager's bedroom doorway holding two bills: This month's
> cell phone overages and a Learjet repair bill.
>

> Montblack

Probably a toss-up which is bigger :-)

Darkwing
January 14th 06, 03:12 AM
".Blueskies." > wrote in message

> "Andrew Gideon" > wrote in message
> online.com...
>> "Darkwing" <theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> hose roads also have noisy, stinky vehicles that drive by
>>> all times of the day and night, makes it hard to enjoy the ramp on a
>>> nice
>>> spring day.
>>
>> That road noise is also dangerous. It can be very distracting during the
>> run-up, for example, when one wants to be sure that all checklist items
>> are
>> covered.
>>
>> There ought to be a law.
>>
>> - Andrew
>>

> Not to mention headlights shining when you are taking off into that black
> dark sky!

It's a menace! We must shut down all roads!

DW

Robert M. Gary
January 14th 06, 04:05 AM
I think it depends if she's still a dependant. If she's living at home
dad might be in trouble.

-Robert

Robert M. Gary
January 14th 06, 04:06 AM
My wife got hit recently in the car. Apparently the minimum in
California is only $5000 for liability which means I have to pay the
deductable on my collision insurance and then sue him for it. :(

-Robert

John Huthmaker
January 14th 06, 08:03 PM
Dont forget to find out how much your insurance will go up over the next 3
years, and include that in the suit.

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com
"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> My wife got hit recently in the car. Apparently the minimum in
> California is only $5000 for liability which means I have to pay the
> deductable on my collision insurance and then sue him for it. :(
>
> -Robert

Dylan Smith
January 16th 06, 05:00 PM
On 2006-01-14, Robert M. Gary > wrote:
> I think it depends if she's still a dependant. If she's living at home
> dad might be in trouble.

Hm. Now assuming that the car driver gets landed with the bill, and lets
suppose the bill is $1M, and lets also (probably reasonably) suppose
that the driver or his family have no way to pay that bill, how does the
Lear owner recover the money? Is the driver now (assuming a typical
middle class income future) essentially indebted for life? Or would they
just declare bankruptcy?

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

George Patterson
January 16th 06, 05:42 PM
Dylan Smith wrote:

> Hm. Now assuming that the car driver gets landed with the bill, and lets
> suppose the bill is $1M, and lets also (probably reasonably) suppose
> that the driver or his family have no way to pay that bill, how does the
> Lear owner recover the money? Is the driver now (assuming a typical
> middle class income future) essentially indebted for life? Or would they
> just declare bankruptcy?

This being New Jersey, the car is insured. That's the first recourse for the
Lear owner. The plane is also insured, and that would be the second recourse.
Between the two, the Lear owner will get his money.

If the cost is covered by the car owner's insurance, that's that. If not, the
aircraft insurance company will usually go after the car owner. If that's the
18-year-old and she loses the case, she has two basic choices. She can pay the
remaining damages, possibly on an installment plan, or she can declare bankruptcy.

The case procedure is a three-step one. First, she is given the opportunity to
pay the bill. If she declines, the insurance company's attorney and her attorney
meet with an arbitrator, who decides fault and penalty. Assuming she's found at
fault, she's again given an opportunity to pay the bill. If she declines again,
the case goes into civil court.

If the car belongs to her father, I think the aircraft insurance company can sue
both the driver and the owner, but I'm not sure about that.

The typical property damage limit on liability for car insurance policies in New
Jersey is $50,000. Some people opt for as much as $100,000. Given the latter
option and your stipulation of damages of $1 million, the car owner would be
looking at a bill for $900,000.

The car insurance premium increases and NJ "at fault accident" surcharges are
trivial nuisances by comparison.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.

Roy Smith
January 16th 06, 05:52 PM
Dylan Smith > wrote:
>On 2006-01-14, Robert M. Gary > wrote:
>> I think it depends if she's still a dependant. If she's living at home
>> dad might be in trouble.
>
>Hm. Now assuming that the car driver gets landed with the bill, and lets
>suppose the bill is $1M, and lets also (probably reasonably) suppose
>that the driver or his family have no way to pay that bill, how does the
>Lear owner recover the money?

Against his own hull policy.

Let's say I drive my car into your house, the car catches fire, and
the house is destroyed. I'm an easy target; between my primary auto
policy and my umbrella, I carry $3 million in liability coverage. You
call your insurance company, they drag my company in, and my policy
pays off.

But, what if some 19 year old kid carrying the legal minimum ($50k, I
think, in New York) does the same thing? You file a claim against
your homeowner's policy. The insurance company may then turn around
and sue the kid to recover what they can (you can't get blood out of a
stone), but at that point, it's their problem, not yours.

Google