Thank you.

--
ChrisEllis
Posted at www.flight.org

Newps
January 16th 06, 08:39 PM
I was in a 60x60 with a 50 foot door for a couple of years. The owner
only rented out three spots. With a 50 foot door two planes could sit
in front and manuver with a little care and get out without moving the
other. Didn't matter if they were high or low wing. A 60 foot door
makes it real easy. You can probably get 6-7 planes into a 60x80 but
the problem is every surface of every plane is an inch away from
something else. Four planes would be good.

ChrisEllis wrote:
> Does anyone have an opinion to how many single engine low wing, high
> wing, or twins or any combination would comfortably fit in a 60x80
> hangar. The door is 60 feet wide.
>
> At my local airport there is a 60x80 for rent and obviously it would
> cost way to much for me to rent by myself. I am looking to share it
> with possibly 3 other pilots for a total of 4 planes. I have a Mooney
> M20E.
>
> Smaller hangars are not available for years and years.
>
> If anyone has a community hangar and would like to share there opinion
> and any advantages and disadvantages please reply.
>
> Thank you.

Flyingmonk
January 16th 06, 08:41 PM
If you have AutoCad, plot out the floor plan and airplane outlines.
move them around ans see for yourself. If you do not have AutoCad, use
graph paper and pencil.

The Monk

Viperdoc
January 16th 06, 10:43 PM
I have a 60 X 80 hangar, and four planes fit easily, and six would work with
a lot of juggling. The risk for hangar rash goes up a lot and it becomes a
big pain to get your plane out, particularly if it is one of the inside
ones, especially if it's raining or snowing outside.

Also, you have to have a lot of trust in the other owners so they'll be as
careful with your plane as you would, and be sure that everyone has
insurance.

ChrisEllis
January 16th 06, 10:59 PM
Viper - Would 2 Mooneys and 2 Cessna's be a good fit maybe with a few
cars and maybe a boat or RV that would go in the back and not be moved
very often. We are in California so no snow or rain problems or
rushing hopefully. Is $500-600 reasonable for each plane. What is the
lease length most owners require you to sign when renting a hangar.

--
ChrisEllis
Posted at www.flight.org

Jack Allison
January 17th 06, 05:34 AM
ChrisEllis wrote:
> Is $500-600 reasonable for each plane. What is the
> lease length most owners require you to sign when renting a hangar.

Chris - Our T at LHM rents for $200/month and we're month to month.
It's privately owned. No electricity though (but that can change with a
few hundred bucks worth of a solar panel, marine battery, inverters,
etc.). Wow, $500-600/month? Seems like a lot, even with the amenities
that you've mentioned in your other post. As a price point, a couple of
months back, Nunno had a 2-place hangar that was going for $400/mo. One
partner of mine also has a hangar at SAC and IIRC, it's somewhere north
of $300/month. Big enough for a twin and has electricity.

Good luck.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Greg B
January 17th 06, 05:49 AM
"ChrisEllis" > wrote in message

> Does anyone have an opinion to how many single engine low wing, high
> wing, or twins or any combination would comfortably fit in a 60x80
> hangar. The door is 60 feet wide.
>
> At my local airport there is a 60x80 for rent and obviously it would
> cost way to much for me to rent by myself. I am looking to share it
> with possibly 3 other pilots for a total of 4 planes. I have a Mooney
> M20E.
>
> Smaller hangars are not available for years and years.
>
> If anyone has a community hangar and would like to share there opinion
> and any advantages and disadvantages please reply.

I've been in a community hangar before. In McAllen (MFE) there was a good
size 3-sided hangar and they would stick 4 to 6 planes in it every which
way. Mine would get shuffled to the back every once in a while and would
have to pull out one or two planes before pulling mine out. The FBO took
care of moving the planes and it would only take a few minutes. A quick
phone call to the FBO before I left home or work and my plane would be
sitting on the ramp ready to go.

I also shared a smaller hangar at an Iowa airport that would hold a Cessna
Cardinal and my Ercoupe. My Ercoupe would fit nicely behind the Cardinal so
I would have to pull out the Cardinal, pull mine out, then put the Cardinal
back each time I wanted to go fly and then do the reverse when I got done
flying. I got into the habit of listening to the comm radio to hear if the
Cardinal was going out to fly; I would then run out to the airport and get
my plane out at the same time so I wouldn't have to move the other plane
myself. One advantage of that hangar was the electric wench door.

Since then, I've had single hangars. I'm now waiting for the new hangars to
be built here at the local airport so I can move my plane closer to home
into one of the older hangars (with electric door!).

-Greg B.

Viperdoc
January 17th 06, 12:52 PM
I think two Mooneys and 2 Cessnas would fit without a problem, along with a
couple of vehicles. It also depends if you have a buildout or not. Mine has
an office living area with running water and a full bathroom that has hi
speed internet, satellite TV, AC, etc.

Monthly lease, insurance, and other costs are around $900, while
heat/electricity has been $300/month, so $400 or more a month for four
planes sounds about right to me. I do not lease out any space, and having
two planes leaves plenty of space to work.

Google