PDA

View Full Version : 208 Caravan down

soon to be student
January 24th 06, 08:44 PM
A Cessna 208 Caravan crashed on Vancouver Island near the town of Port
Alberni killing the pilot and Two passangers. According to the local news
the pilot had radioed a Mayday declaring that he had an engine failure and
was going to attempt a dead-stick landing on a logging road but he didn't
make it and the plane crashed at a 60 degree nose down attitude. The pilot
was 25 years old. At this time I don't know how many hours he had.

Here is a link

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060122/cessna_bc_plane
_crash_060122/20060122?hub=TopStories

Five passengers did survive including a young child.

My condolences to the familys of the dead and I hope a speedy recovery to
those that survived.

Peter R.
January 24th 06, 08:51 PM
soon to be student > wrote:

> Here is a link
>
> http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060122/cessna_bc_plane
> _crash_060122/20060122?hub=TopStories

Here's a shortened version of it:

http://tinyurl.com/bskks

--
Peter

Jim Macklin
January 24th 06, 09:18 PM
There is no reason why an engine failure should make the
airplane assume a 60 degree nose down attitude, the pilot
screwed up if that is true. The PT6 will auto-feather if
the engine quits and the glide is very good.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"soon to be student" > wrote in message
|A Cessna 208 Caravan crashed on Vancouver Island near the
town of Port
| Alberni killing the pilot and Two passangers. According to
the local news
| the pilot had radioed a Mayday declaring that he had an
engine failure and
| was going to attempt a dead-stick landing on a logging
road but he didn't
| make it and the plane crashed at a 60 degree nose down
attitude. The pilot
| was 25 years old. At this time I don't know how many hours
he had.

| Here is a link

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060122/cessna_bc_plane
| _crash_060122/20060122?hub=TopStories
|
| Five passengers did survive including a young child.
|
| My condolences to the familys of the dead and I hope a
speedy recovery to
| those that survived.

john smith
January 24th 06, 10:04 PM
In article <wkwBf.324316$2k.72163@pd7tw1no>,
"soon to be student" > wrote:

> A Cessna 208 Caravan crashed on Vancouver Island near the town of Port
> Alberni killing the pilot and Two passangers. According to the local news
> the pilot had radioed a Mayday declaring that he had an engine failure and
> was going to attempt a dead-stick landing on a logging road but he didn't
> make it and the plane crashed at a 60 degree nose down attitude. The pilot
> was 25 years old. At this time I don't know how many hours he had.

60-degrees nose down indicates to me that he may have stalled it.

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
January 24th 06, 10:41 PM
"john smith" > wrote in message
> In article <wkwBf.324316$2k.72163@pd7tw1no>,
> "soon to be student" > wrote:
>
>> A Cessna 208 Caravan crashed on Vancouver Island near the town of Port
>> Alberni killing the pilot and Two passangers. According to the local news
>> the pilot had radioed a Mayday declaring that he had an engine failure
>> and
>> was going to attempt a dead-stick landing on a logging road but he didn't
>> make it and the plane crashed at a 60 degree nose down attitude. The
>> pilot
>> was 25 years old. At this time I don't know how many hours he had.
>
> 60-degrees nose down indicates to me that he may have stalled it.

Or, landed in trees (which the article I read suggested). The angle after
everything stops wouldn't have much to do with the angle at which he touched
down in the tree tops.

I suspect that if he had stalled and hit solid ground at a 60 degree angle,
there would be 8 dead, not 3.

A sad event in any case.

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Rachel
January 24th 06, 10:50 PM
Jim Macklin wrote:
> There is no reason why an engine failure should make the
> airplane assume a 60 degree nose down attitude, the pilot
> screwed up if that is true. The PT6 will auto-feather if
> the engine quits and the glide is very good.

Did you miss the part where the local news station said that? :-)

Morgans
January 24th 06, 10:54 PM
"Jim Macklin" > wrote in message
> There is no reason why an engine failure should make the
> airplane assume a 60 degree nose down attitude, the pilot
> screwed up if that is true. The PT6 will auto-feather if
> the engine quits and the glide is very good.

My thought were that there should be no survivors, if the plane impacted at
a 60 degree angle, and after reading the account, I'll stick by that. The
article said that the plane ended up in a 60 degree nose down attitude. It
did not say how it impacted. Is it possible that it hit somewhat level,
then slid, or went down an embankment, or something like that?
--
Jim in NC

Michael Ware
January 24th 06, 11:02 PM
The plane came to rest on a steep hill, is what they were trying to get
across.

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" <The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com> wrote in message
> Or, landed in trees (which the article I read suggested). The angle after
> everything stops wouldn't have much to do with the angle at which he
touched
> down in the tree tops.
>
> I suspect that if he had stalled and hit solid ground at a 60 degree
angle,
> there would be 8 dead, not 3.
>
> A sad event in any case.
>
> --
> Geoff
> the sea hawk at wow way d0t com
> remove spaces and make the obvious substitutions to reply by mail
> Spell checking is left as an excercise for the reader.

Jim Macklin
January 25th 06, 12:12 AM
Yes, did not look at it at all. My comment was based solely
on the 60 degree angle as posted.

"Rachel" > wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > There is no reason why an engine failure should make the
| > airplane assume a 60 degree nose down attitude, the
pilot
| > screwed up if that is true. The PT6 will auto-feather
if
| > the engine quits and the glide is very good.
|
| Did you miss the part where the local news station said
that? :-)

Jim Macklin
January 25th 06, 02:42 AM
I'd agree to that, an impact angle greater than 15 degrees
is almost always fatal.

"Morgans" > wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" > wrote
in message
| > There is no reason why an engine failure should make the
| > airplane assume a 60 degree nose down attitude, the
pilot
| > screwed up if that is true. The PT6 will auto-feather
if
| > the engine quits and the glide is very good.
|
| My thought were that there should be no survivors, if the
plane impacted at
| a 60 degree angle, and after reading the account, I'll
stick by that. The
| article said that the plane ended up in a 60 degree nose
down attitude. It
| did not say how it impacted. Is it possible that it hit
somewhat level,
| then slid, or went down an embankment, or something like
that?
| --
| Jim in NC

The Visitor
January 25th 06, 03:21 AM
Does anybody imagine what it would be like to touch down on that terrain????

john smith wrote:

> In article <wkwBf.324316$2k.72163@pd7tw1no>,
> "soon to be student" > wrote:
>

>>A Cessna 208 Caravan crashed on Vancouver Island near the town of Port
>>Alberni killing the pilot and Two passangers. According to the local news
>>the pilot had radioed a Mayday declaring that he had an engine failure and
>>was going to attempt a dead-stick landing on a logging road but he didn't
>>make it and the plane crashed at a 60 degree nose down attitude. The pilot
>>was 25 years old. At this time I don't know how many hours he had.
>

> 60-degrees nose down indicates to me that he may have stalled it.

George Patterson
January 25th 06, 03:23 AM
soon to be student wrote:

> ... make it and the plane crashed at a 60 degree nose down attitude.

The article says that the slope of the hillside is a 50 to 60 degree angle, and
the plane came to rest with the nose pointed downhill. That's a *lot* different
from crashing at a 60 degree nose-down angle.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.

George Patterson
January 25th 06, 03:24 AM
john smith wrote:

> 60-degrees nose down indicates to me that he may have stalled it.

It would if that had been what happened, but it's not.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.

Grumman-581
January 25th 06, 06:47 AM
"The Visitor" wrote in message ...
> Does anybody imagine what it would be like to touch down on that
terrain????

Bumpy?

someone
January 25th 06, 07:27 PM
"George Patterson" > wrote in message
> soon to be student wrote:
>
> > ... make it and the plane crashed at a 60 degree nose down attitude.
>
> The article says that the slope of the hillside is a 50 to 60 degree
angle, and
> the plane came to rest with the nose pointed downhill. That's a *lot*
different
> from crashing at a 60 degree nose-down angle.
>
> George Patterson
> Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong
> your slightly older self

The local paper had reported that the pilot had almost made it to the
logging road but the right main landing gear clipped the top of the tree
causing the pilot to lose control of the plane, crashing nose first at a 60
degree angle into a bank, crushing the front passanger compartment.

It is also worth mentioning that Sonic Blue airways has had their operators
licence suspended by transport canada for numerous safety violations after
the accident. Some former pilots are now talking to the papers about their
problems with the small commuter airline and the many safety concerns they
had before quitting the company. The Province paper also has reported that
Transport Canada had fined International Express Air Charter - which does
buisness with Sonic Blue- and Regency Express Flight Operations a total of
$40,000 last year for violating Canadian Air Regs. which included
maintenance irregulartities. The company and some of its pilots have been
handed six enforcement orders since 1999.

A pilot that has since quit Sonic Blue has gone on to say that current and
former employees have long disscussed maintenance issues at the company. The
father of the pilot who died had said his son had discussed with him a few
times about maintenance and safety issues with Sonic Blue and when he
brought those to the attention of the chief pilot he, (the dead pilot) was
then taken off the regular schedule and put on standby effectively cutting
his hours back.

This sounds like a sad story of a company putting profits ahead of safety
and this can be the result of such a move!

Please fly safe everyone! I would much rather talk to you than about you!

Google