PDA

View Full Version : Runnnig take off...

Flyingmonk
January 28th 06, 04:24 AM
You(big) and a big buddy are in a two seater Robinson R22, a rinky dink
but very responsive helo, with full fuel. Conditions hot and high, you
can't get the chopper to lift up off the skids... What do you do?

Well, lift up on the collective making sure you don't over do the
manifold pressure. CYou're light enough to skid along, make sure
there's nothing to catch the skids. Keep her straight and gain some
speed dragging the skids. In a few seconds you get additional lift via
"translational lift" and you're off. Keep up the speed or you'll sink
back down.

After a little while you burn off enough fuel to fly happily along...

Boy! I miss flying. Gotta get my FIX! Dang nab it!

The Monk

Darkwing
January 28th 06, 05:18 AM
"Flyingmonk" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> You(big) and a big buddy are in a two seater Robinson R22, a rinky dink
> but very responsive helo, with full fuel. Conditions hot and high, you
> can't get the chopper to lift up off the skids... What do you do?
>
> Well, lift up on the collective making sure you don't over do the
> manifold pressure. CYou're light enough to skid along, make sure
> there's nothing to catch the skids. Keep her straight and gain some
> speed dragging the skids. In a few seconds you get additional lift via
> "translational lift" and you're off. Keep up the speed or you'll sink
> back down.
>
> After a little while you burn off enough fuel to fly happily along...
>
> Boy! I miss flying. Gotta get my FIX! Dang nab it!
>
> The Monk

I hear you. I was out of the seat for a few months because work was to busy.
Got out a couple weeks ago and it was GREAT! Nothing more beautiful than
full flaps, power to 1700, right on the glide slope, 65 knots and short
final on a stable approach, gets me excited just thinking about it. Awesome.
Like making love to a beautiful woman.

Flew for 1.3 hours, made 4 touch and goes and the last two were damn good I
will say. I took an instructor along and he said I didn't need him, still
always nice to have back up!

DW

Jay Honeck
January 28th 06, 01:29 PM
> I hear you. I was out of the seat for a few months because work was to
> busy. Got out a couple weeks ago and it was GREAT! Nothing more beautiful
> than full flaps, power to 1700, right on the glide slope, 65 knots and
> short final on a stable approach, gets me excited just thinking about it.
> Awesome. Like making love to a beautiful woman.

Flying is healthful, for those of us who crave it.

We had a fellow in the lobby yesterday who went from owning a homebuilt
ultralight *and* a classic '46 Piper Cub, flying literally every other day,
to ZERO, almost overnight. He ran into severe time and money constraints
when his company was sold from beneath his feet, and he had to sell both of
his plane for the money. He literally stopped flying, except for a
currency flight once in while, and it's about killed him.

He says he's gained 50 pounds, and you can tell he's almost in physical
pain.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Flyingmonk
January 28th 06, 02:21 PM
Almost my story to a T, Jay.

The Monk

Jay Honeck
January 29th 06, 01:30 PM
> Almost my story to a T, Jay.

Sorry, man. You'll have to come to Iowa and we'll go fly up the
Mississippi. It's a very pretty flight.

Of course, I'm one to talk. This is the worst winter for flying I can
remember. Today is another wonderful day, with a 600 foot overcast,
drizzle, ice in the clouds, and high winds...

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Newps
January 29th 06, 02:06 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> Of course, I'm one to talk. This is the worst winter for flying I can
> remember. Today is another wonderful day, with a 600 foot overcast,
> drizzle, ice in the clouds, and high winds...\

Look up midwest in the dictionary and that is the definition.

Jay Honeck
January 29th 06, 02:25 PM
>> Of course, I'm one to talk. This is the worst winter for flying I can
>> remember. Today is another wonderful day, with a 600 foot overcast,
>> drizzle, ice in the clouds, and high winds...\
>
> Look up midwest in the dictionary and that is the definition.

Nah. Usually at this time of year, we're sitting under a big ol' Canadian
artic high pressure bubble, with crystal clear skies, light winds, and
frigid temperatures. Someone apparently forgot to tell the Canadians, this
year.

Although I must admit to liking the mid-40s a LOT better than minus 10, it
sure makes for very little flying weather.

I checked our airport's FBO logs last week. They had 5 transient planes in
7 days. We've had just a handful of fly-in guests since Christmas.

Crappy, crappy weather...

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Flyingmonk
January 29th 06, 06:58 PM
>Sorry, man. You'll have to come to Iowa and we'll go fly up the
>Mississippi. It's a very pretty flight.

Much appreciated Jay. One O these days I'll take you up on the offer.

The Monk

Morgans
January 29th 06, 09:08 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote

> Nah. Usually at this time of year, we're sitting under a big ol' Canadian
> artic high pressure bubble, with crystal clear skies, light winds, and
> frigid temperatures. Someone apparently forgot to tell the Canadians,
> this year.
\
Wait'll the end of this week. Rumor has it that you artic cold high is on
the way! <g>
--
Jim in NC

Jay Honeck
January 29th 06, 10:30 PM
>> Nah. Usually at this time of year, we're sitting under a big ol'
>> Canadian artic high pressure bubble, with crystal clear skies, light
>> winds, and frigid temperatures. Someone apparently forgot to tell the
>> Canadians, this year.
> \
> Wait'll the end of this week. Rumor has it that you artic cold high is on
> the way! <g>

Really? I just checked the Weather Channel's 10 day forecast, and the
coldest we're supposed to get here in Iowa is 25 F, with highs well above
freezing each day.

THAT is about as good as you can expect around here in what is statistically
the coldest part of the winter! Especially when you consider how cold
December was...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Morgans
January 29th 06, 10:33 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote

> Really? I just checked the Weather Channel's 10 day forecast, and the
> coldest we're supposed to get here in Iowa is 25 F, with highs well above
> freezing each day.
>
> THAT is about as good as you can expect around here in what is
> statistically the coldest part of the winter! Especially when you
> consider how cold December was...

I'll have to look firsthand. Someone told me that, and I believed him.
Seems you can't trust anyone, nowadays. <g>
--
Jim in NC

Google