PDA

View Full Version : continental experts help!

January 29th 06, 12:24 AM
I have a cont A65-8 45 SMOH is there a way to get fuel to the carb,
while doing aerobatics? can I install an electric fuel pump? or will I
flood the engine?

john smith
January 29th 06, 12:54 AM
In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> I have a cont A65-8 45 SMOH is there a way to get fuel to the carb,
> while doing aerobatics? can I install an electric fuel pump? or will I
> flood the engine?

Flop tube in the tank.
May work, may not work.
It has it's own problems, such as how to vent the tank.

jls
January 29th 06, 01:31 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a cont A65-8 45 SMOH is there a way to get fuel to the carb,
> while doing aerobatics? can I install an electric fuel pump? or will I
> flood the engine?

An inverted system for a Stromberg? Heresy, pure heresy.

JKimmel
January 29th 06, 01:35 AM
wrote:
> I have a cont A65-8 45 SMOH is there a way to get fuel to the carb,
> while doing aerobatics? can I install an electric fuel pump? or will I
> flood the engine?

You won't need to get fuel to the carburetor during negative g
aerobatics because the carburetor won't work anyway. Neither will your
engine's oil system.

--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.

Cy Galley
January 29th 06, 02:01 AM
One can place a slide valve on the oil pick up to give you about 30 seconds
of oil. but the carb will not work upside down even with gas being forced to
it.

--
Cy Galley - Aeronca Aviators Club
Newsletter Editor & EAA TC
"JKimmel" > wrote in message
et...
> wrote:
>> I have a cont A65-8 45 SMOH is there a way to get fuel to the carb,
>> while doing aerobatics? can I install an electric fuel pump? or will I
>> flood the engine?
>>
> You won't need to get fuel to the carburetor during negative g aerobatics
> because the carburetor won't work anyway. Neither will your engine's oil
> system.
>
> --
> J Kimmel
>
> www.metalinnovations.com
>
> "Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
> their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.

January 29th 06, 02:59 AM
Well, it kinda almost works. I found out that it would cut out quickly as
I went upside down, but would get a "second" wind and run a little bit.
I figure it was dribbling the gas through the bowl vent hole and it would
run until the bowl went dry. This on an A65-8 as I recall. There was an
fjh version of the little Continentals that had fuel injection. I flew a 7ac
that had that engine, but never attempted anything other than level
flight and standard rate turns.

Don't mess with it. Level flight and standard rate turns are appropriate
maneuvers for A65's. The added wear and tear of aerobatics with the
little Continental is akin to abusing your grandmother.

Cy Galley wrote in message ...
>One can place a slide valve on the oil pick up to give you about 30 seconds
>of oil. but the carb will not work upside down even with gas being forced
>it.
>

>--
>Cy Galley - Aeronca Aviators Club
> Newsletter Editor & EAA TC
> www.aeronca.org
> Actively supporting Aeroncas every day
>"JKimmel" > wrote in message
et...
>> wrote:
>>> I have a cont A65-8 45 SMOH is there a way to get fuel to the carb,
>>> while doing aerobatics? can I install an electric fuel pump? or will I
>>> flood the engine?
>>>
>> You won't need to get fuel to the carburetor during negative g aerobatics
>> because the carburetor won't work anyway. Neither will your engine's oil
>> system.
>>
>> --
>> J Kimmel
>>
>> www.metalinnovations.com
>>
>> "Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
>> their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.

J.Kahn
January 29th 06, 05:23 PM
wrote:
> I have a cont A65-8 45 SMOH is there a way to get fuel to the carb,
> while doing aerobatics? can I install an electric fuel pump? or will I
> flood the engine?

You will need an electric pump with flop tube, plus fuel injection or a
pressure carb to keep it running inverted. Then when it does, it will
destroy itself because you forgot to also incorporate an inverted oil
system.

John

Bret Ludwig
January 30th 06, 12:07 AM
wrote:
<<snip>>

> Don't mess with it. Level flight and standard rate turns are appropriate
> maneuvers for A65's. The added wear and tear of aerobatics with the
> little Continental is akin to abusing your grandmother.

It's on borrowed time anyway. I'd put a Posa or similar (the Ellison
patents run out soon, hint, hint) and one of those inverted oil systems
the early Pitts people used on Continentals-I think they used a surplus
jet engine scavenge pump off a J34 or some such-and flog it.

Google