PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?

Montblack
February 7th 06, 10:32 PM
Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?

http://www.fighterpilotfilm.com/
Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag

http://www.imax.com/minnesota/films/fighterpilot.htm
It's playing at the Minnesota Zoo's IMAX Theatre

Montblack

Wiz
February 7th 06, 10:35 PM
Montblack:

I've seen it, at the Udvar-Hazy Center of the Smithsonian's Air and
Space Museum near Dulles International Airport near DC. It's a
fictionalized account of air combat exercises from the perspective of
one of the pilots. Dialogue was a little hokey, maybe, like most Imax
films, but the aerial photography was really good. I think it was
worth seeing.

Wiz

Montblack wrote:
> Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?
>
> http://www.fighterpilotfilm.com/
> Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag
>
> http://www.imax.com/minnesota/films/fighterpilot.htm
> It's playing at the Minnesota Zoo's IMAX Theatre
>

> Montblack

Rachel
February 7th 06, 10:37 PM
Montblack wrote:
> Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?
>
> http://www.fighterpilotfilm.com/
> Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag
>
> http://www.imax.com/minnesota/films/fighterpilot.htm
> It's playing at the Minnesota Zoo's IMAX Theatre
>

> Montblack

I haven't, but if it's the same one currently showing at the
Smithsonian, my brother saw it last month. He wasn't impressed, but
then again, he doesn't fly.

Roy Smith
February 7th 06, 10:39 PM
In article >,
Montblack > wrote:
>Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?
>
>http://www.fighterpilotfilm.com/
>Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag

Yes. I loved it. Go see it. It's basicly a collection of fun
high-performance airplane footage, but oh, what footage it is!

Jay Beckman
February 7th 06, 11:24 PM
"Montblack" > wrote in message
> Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?
>
> http://www.fighterpilotfilm.com/
> Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag
>
> http://www.imax.com/minnesota/films/fighterpilot.htm
> It's playing at the Minnesota Zoo's IMAX Theatre
>

> Montblack

It's the USAFs answer to "Top Gun" ...

Story = Schlock
Footage = Awesome

YMMV...

Jay B

February 8th 06, 12:19 AM
I rented it from Netflix and thought it was pretty good. The camera
work was super.

Jim in Rockford, MI

Carl Orton
February 8th 06, 12:45 AM
I was disappointed. Of course, I went in thinking it was a documentary, so
I was looking for better attention to details.

Things like the fake AWACS displays. The napalm exploding *under* the
targeted vehicles (let's just say that when a bomb hits something, more
pieces fly up than fire).

My favorite part was the cockpit shot showing the pilot valiantly whipping
the stick all over the place in a frenzied attack to recover, yet the
attitude indicator was rock solid straight and level.

"Montblack" > wrote in message
> Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?
>
> http://www.fighterpilotfilm.com/
> Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag
>
> http://www.imax.com/minnesota/films/fighterpilot.htm
> It's playing at the Minnesota Zoo's IMAX Theatre
>

> Montblack

john smith
February 8th 06, 02:12 AM
In article >,
"Montblack" > wrote:

> Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?
>
> http://www.fighterpilotfilm.com/
> Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag
>
> http://www.imax.com/minnesota/films/fighterpilot.htm
> It's playing at the Minnesota Zoo's IMAX Theatre

Hokey story, interesting footage.
It was hyped pretty heavily when it came out last year(?).
Disappointing.

Orval Fairbairn
February 8th 06, 04:30 AM
In article <M_9Gf.25143$jR.19052@fed1read01>,
"Jay Beckman" > wrote:

> "Montblack" > wrote in message
> > Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?
> >
> > http://www.fighterpilotfilm.com/
> > Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag
> >
> > http://www.imax.com/minnesota/films/fighterpilot.htm
> > It's playing at the Minnesota Zoo's IMAX Theatre
> >

> > Montblack
>
> It's the USAFs answer to "Top Gun" ...

Actually, the Navy's Top Gun is the answer to Red Flag, which predates
the Top Gun program by several years.

--
Remve "_" from email to reply to me personally.

Jay Beckman
February 8th 06, 07:42 AM
"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
> In article <M_9Gf.25143$jR.19052@fed1read01>,
> "Jay Beckman" > wrote:
>
>> "Montblack" > wrote in message
>> > Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?
>> >
>> > http://www.fighterpilotfilm.com/
>> > Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag
>> >
>> > http://www.imax.com/minnesota/films/fighterpilot.htm
>> > It's playing at the Minnesota Zoo's IMAX Theatre
>> >

>> > Montblack
>>
>> It's the USAFs answer to "Top Gun" ...
>

> Actually, the Navy's Top Gun is the answer to Red Flag, which predates
> the Top Gun program by several years.

I meant the movie...not the training cycle(s).

That's why it's in quotes.

Jay B

Ron Wanttaja
February 8th 06, 08:02 AM
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 04:30:10 GMT, Orval Fairbairn >
wrote:

>In article <M_9Gf.25143$jR.19052@fed1read01>,
> "Jay Beckman" > wrote:
>
>> "Montblack" > wrote in message
>> > Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?
>> >
>> > http://www.fighterpilotfilm.com/
>> > Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag
>
>> It's the USAFs answer to "Top Gun" ...
>
>Actually, the Navy's Top Gun is the answer to Red Flag, which predates
>the Top Gun program by several years.

And, actually, the movie "Red Flag - The Ultimate Game" predated the movie "Top
Gun" by a few years, too.

Working for the main sponsor for the IMAX movie, I snagged a couple of tickets
to the Seattle premiere. Nice goodie bags. Yes, the plotline was a bit
simplistic, but the photography was fantastic. Air-to-air of a B-2 filling an
IMAX screen from side to side is pretty unforgettable...

Ron Wanttaja

John Doe
February 8th 06, 10:52 AM
"Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
> "Montblack" > wrote in message
>> Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?
>>
>> http://www.fighterpilotfilm.com/
>> Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag
>>
>> http://www.imax.com/minnesota/films/fighterpilot.htm
>> It's playing at the Minnesota Zoo's IMAX Theatre
>>

>> Montblack
>
> It's the USAFs answer to "Top Gun" ...

No it's not. The movie is about Red Flag, which is just a 2 week joint
exercise. It has nothing to do with Top Gun. Top Gun is a school for
fighter pilot instructors. The USAF's school for fighter pilot instructors
is called the USAF Weapons School (a six month course).

John Doe
February 8th 06, 10:55 AM
"Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
> In article <M_9Gf.25143$jR.19052@fed1read01>,
> "Jay Beckman" > wrote:
>
>> "Montblack" > wrote in message
>> > Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?
>> >
>> > http://www.fighterpilotfilm.com/
>> > Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag
>> >
>> > http://www.imax.com/minnesota/films/fighterpilot.htm
>> > It's playing at the Minnesota Zoo's IMAX Theatre
>> >

>> > Montblack
>>
>> It's the USAFs answer to "Top Gun" ...
>

> Actually, the Navy's Top Gun is the answer to Red Flag, which predates
> the Top Gun program by several years.

Both you clowns are wrong. Red Flag was created to fly the first 10 days of
a massive air war against Russia. The youngest pilots in squadrons are
brought in to get realistic combat experience with over 100 jets fighting in
the exercise.

Top Gun teaches your most experienced pilots in a one on one environment to
be world class fighter pilot instructors.

John Doe
February 8th 06, 10:58 AM
"Carl Orton" > wrote in message
>I was disappointed. Of course, I went in thinking it was a documentary, so
>I was looking for better attention to details.
>
> Things like the fake AWACS displays. The napalm exploding *under* the
> targeted vehicles (let's just say that when a bomb hits something, more
> pieces fly up than fire).
>
> My favorite part was the cockpit shot showing the pilot valiantly whipping
> the stick all over the place in a frenzied attack to recover, yet the
> attitude indicator was rock solid straight and level.

I'm waiting for someone to pick up on how the entire theme was to watch a
F-15C pilot go through the program. Yet the entire footage is shot of F-15E
jets.

Jay Beckman
February 8th 06, 04:55 PM
"John Doe" > wrote in message

> "Orval Fairbairn" > wrote in message
>> In article <M_9Gf.25143$jR.19052@fed1read01>,

>>> It's the USAFs answer to "Top Gun" ...
>>

>> Actually, the Navy's Top Gun is the answer to Red Flag, which predates
>> the Top Gun program by several years.
>
> Both you clowns are wrong. Red Flag was created to fly the first 10 days
> of a massive air war against Russia. The youngest pilots in squadrons are
> brought in to get realistic combat experience with over 100 jets fighting
> in the exercise.

I MEANT THE F-ING MOVIE "TOP GUN" !!!!!

Not the advanced weapons and tactics class the Navy used to run at Miramar
and now run at Fallon, Nevada...

Jay B

Jay Beckman
February 8th 06, 04:58 PM
"John Doe" > wrote in message

> "Jay Beckman" > wrote in message
>> "Montblack" > wrote in message
>>> Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?
>>>
>>> http://www.fighterpilotfilm.com/
>>> Fighter Pilot: Operation Red Flag
>>>
>>> http://www.imax.com/minnesota/films/fighterpilot.htm
>>> It's playing at the Minnesota Zoo's IMAX Theatre
>>>

>>> Montblack
>>
>> It's the USAFs answer to "Top Gun" ...
>
> No it's not. The movie is about Red Flag, which is just a 2 week joint
> exercise. It has nothing to do with Top Gun. Top Gun is a school for
> fighter pilot instructors. The USAF's school for fighter pilot
> instructors is called the USAF Weapons School (a six month course).

Fine, whatever...

Top Gun = Naval Avition
"Top Gun" = Bad Movie

See the difference?

BTW...

*PLONK*

Chris G.
February 8th 06, 05:14 PM
I feel the need....the need for SPEED!!!!!
(zzzzzzooooooooommmmmmmmmm goes my C-150)

Jay Beckman wrote:
> "John Doe" > wrote in message
>> "Jay Beckman" > wrote in message

>>> It's the USAFs answer to "Top Gun" ...
>> No it's not. The movie is about Red Flag, which is just a 2 week joint
>> exercise. It has nothing to do with Top Gun. Top Gun is a school for
>> fighter pilot instructors. The USAF's school for fighter pilot
>> instructors is called the USAF Weapons School (a six month course).
>
> Fine, whatever...
>
> Top Gun = Naval Avition
> "Top Gun" = Bad Movie
>
> See the difference?
>
> BTW...
>
> *PLONK*

Flyingmonk
February 8th 06, 10:45 PM
>I feel the need....the need for SPEED!!!!!
>(zzzzzzooooooooommmmmmmmmm goes my C-150)

Now I think the movie is corny, but not my first time seeing it. I
was a much youger man then <g> And I was in high school with the same
Ninja 900 at that time, almost killed myself on it after seeing the
movie and went out on I81 at about 140mph. I was a young fool, now an
old fool...

The Monk

Flyingmonk
February 8th 06, 10:47 PM
>Has anyone seen this IMAX movie?

Looked interesting, but think I'll pass on this one 'til it is on
cable. <g>

The Monk

February 9th 06, 02:35 AM
It's showing here in Appleton, Wisconsin too. I saw it last Saturday. The
aerial footage was pretty cool, with the exception of occasional use of
computer generated aircraft in some of the scenes. But then again, my wife
didn't pick up on those even though they stuck out like a sore thumb to me.
Maybe five years of working on F-4Cs and F-4Es and watching fighters in
action day after day made me more sensitive to how they really look in
flight. The aerial shot of the Nellis Ramp with the movie's logo "painted"
on it cracked me up too. It wasn't until the camera got close to the logo
that it became apparent that the logo was computer generated too. I also
got a laugh at all the scenes of crew chiefs "marshalling their aircraft"
while other folks walked past them. If there really had been a fighter
taxiing out of its spot, those folks wouldn't have been walking by the crew
chief like that.
There were some scenes I wish had been expanded on. I was excited to see
the scene of Israeli F-16 crewmembers, including a female, getting into
their Vipers, but that was the last we saw of them. The two B-1s entering
the range in formation at high altitude was cool, but seeing one flying
across the range at the speed of heat using terrain following would've
been so much cooler. Did anyone else notice the two cargo parachutes
colliding and one chute collapsing during the C-17 airdrop?
I was lucky enough to be able to ride along on two C-141B Red Flag sorties
back in 1989. I still have a T-shirt I bought at Nellis with a picture of
a C-141B and the phrase "Hugging the ground, praying not to be found". We
flew nap of the earth in those big monster jets, and it was amazing how
much yanking and banking they did. Terrain masking was their only defense.
On one flight, our Flight Engineer got airsick and left the flightdeck to
toss his cookies. I had a barf bag out and ready, but managed to keep
from using it. I vividly recall flying up a ravine with rock strewn
cliffs not too far off both wingtips and several hundred feet above us.
We crossed over one ridge line with a road along the top, and a lady got
out of her light blue station wagon and watched us fly over her. We were
low enough that I could've picked her out of a lineup. One thing alluded
to but not talked about openly in the movie is how many people get killed
every year during Red Flags. On one of my C-141B sorties, we had an
officer from Nellis riding along. As we reached our push time and started
descending down onto the range, he pointed out a hill below us covered
with sparkles. He told us that the sparkles were sun glinting off the
wreckage of a B-52 that had clipped the hilltop a few weeks before. There
were no survivors. I also had a friend who had worked on F-4G Wild
Weasels at George AFB, who got "volunteered" to help clean up the wreckage
of a Weasel that had had a controlled flight into terrain accident during
a Red Flag sortie. He told me he found an aircrew boot with the foot
still inside it. When I worked on F-4s we used to get safety magazines
that described accidents and I recall there were always a number of them
at Red Flags.
I also was able to visit Nellis and walk the ramp photographing all of the
participanting aircraft of several Red Flags in 1982 and 1983 while I was
stationed at George AFB, California. This movie brought back some good
memories and despite its faults I give it a passing score. It is worth
seeing for sure, in my opinion.
Scott Wison

Montblack
February 9th 06, 04:55 AM
wrote)
[snips]
> Maybe five years of working on F-4Cs and F-4Es and watching fighters in
> action day after day made me more sensitive to how they really look in
> flight.

> I also was able to visit Nellis and walk the ramp photographing all of the
> participanting aircraft of several Red Flags in 1982 and 1983 while I was
> stationed at George AFB, California. This movie brought back some good
> memories and despite its faults I give it a passing score. It is worth
> seeing for sure, in my opinion.

Great post. Thanks.

Minnesota Zoo's IMAX is an hour's drive for me - I think I'll head down
there for the movie, anyway.

Montblack
I missed the Walking on the Moon IMAX film earlier this winter.
http://www.imax.com/magnificentdesolation/

Flyingmonk
February 9th 06, 04:58 AM
Monty wrote:
>I missed the Walking on the Moon IMAX film earlier this winter.
>http://www.imax.com/magnificentdesolation/

Saw that eon on a field trip to SS, in DC with my daughter's thrid
grade class. I chaparoned, again.

The Monk

Margy
February 17th 06, 01:00 AM
Flyingmonk wrote:
> Monty wrote:
>
>>I missed the Walking on the Moon IMAX film earlier this winter.
>>http://www.imax.com/magnificentdesolation/
>

> Saw that eon on a field trip to SS, in DC with my daughter's thrid
> grade class. I chaparoned, again.
>
> The Monk

Yeah, the Dad's always show up when the field trip is to Air and Space!
The new IMAX "Roving Mars" is also very good. As a teacher I think
"Fighter Pilot" is great because it's about team work rather than being
bigger and better than the rest.

Margy

Montblack
February 17th 06, 01:25 AM
("Margy" wrote)
> As a teacher I think "Fighter Pilot" is great because it's about team work
> rather than being bigger and better than the rest.

Is there room for both philosophies in teaching these days?

Montblack

Flyingmonk
February 17th 06, 01:47 AM
>Yeah, the Dad's always show up when the field trip is to Air and Space!

Hahaha... Some of the other field trips I chaparoned: Air & Space
Museum at Dulles, Air & Space Museum in DC, Claude Moore Farm, that
printing place that printed money, Mount Vernon trip, and to some pond
in Leesburg to net insects and frogs. Not all were airplane related,
but all were very fun and interesting :^).

The Monk

Margy
February 17th 06, 02:51 AM
Montblack wrote:
> ("Margy" wrote)
>
>> As a teacher I think "Fighter Pilot" is great because it's about team
>> work rather than being bigger and better than the rest.
>

> Is there room for both philosophies in teaching these days?
>

> Montblack
Well, traditionally education takes one side or the other, you know,
phonics or whole language, free school or worksheet driven, one or the
other, but some really radical folks think that you can do both. They
will be taken care of by Federal Regulation like NCLB. Damn I get
sarcastic after a glass or two of wine!

Of course you can have both, but most of our school society is based on
who's better (lead in the school play, honor roll, first chair, starter
on the team, etc) and not on who is a good team player.

Margy

Margy
February 17th 06, 02:53 AM
Flyingmonk wrote:
>>Yeah, the Dad's always show up when the field trip is to Air and Space!
>

> Hahaha... Some of the other field trips I chaparoned: Air & Space
> Museum at Dulles, Air & Space Museum in DC, Claude Moore Farm, that
> printing place that printed money, Mount Vernon trip, and to some pond
> in Leesburg to net insects and frogs. Not all were airplane related,
> but all were very fun and interesting :^).
>
> The Monk

Good for you!! We always found a lot of dads at Air and Space, a lot of
moms at the theater.

Margy

When did you come to Air and Space Dulles? Did you get to take my class?

Richard Lamb
February 17th 06, 04:28 PM
While it's not at he IMAX, I can highly recommend "Second Hand Lions"
Robert Duval and Michael Cane

Flyingmonk
February 17th 06, 06:09 PM
It was two years ago Margy (the field trip), but I have been there
twice since then. No, didn't get to take your classs. I wasn't aware
that you were teaching there.

I'll check it out next time we go though.

The Monk

Margy wrote:
> Flyingmonk wrote:
> >>Yeah, the Dad's always show up when the field trip is to Air and Space!
> >

> > Hahaha... Some of the other field trips I chaparoned: Air & Space
> > Museum at Dulles, Air & Space Museum in DC, Claude Moore Farm, that
> > printing place that printed money, Mount Vernon trip, and to some pond
> > in Leesburg to net insects and frogs. Not all were airplane related,
> > but all were very fun and interesting :^).
> >
> > The Monk
> >
> Good for you!! We always found a lot of dads at Air and Space, a lot of
> moms at the theater.
>
> Margy
>
> When did you come to Air and Space Dulles? Did you get to take my class?

Stella Starr
February 19th 06, 04:28 AM
Two thumbs up for "World's Fastest Indian" since we've wandered a teensy
bit off topic. Nicely done movie, great old period scenes and vehicles,
and Anthony Hopkins plays...Highflyer.

Richard Lamb wrote:
> While it's not at he IMAX, I can highly recommend "Second Hand Lions"
> Robert Duval and Michael Cane

Flyingmonk
February 19th 06, 12:14 PM
I have noticed that you're a real movie buff Monty. Just saw Big
Momma's House with the kids. Not bad at tall. Also saw Stealth, two
thumbs up for excitement.

The Monk

Montblack
February 19th 06, 09:13 PM
("Flyingmonk" wrote)
> Also saw Stealth, two thumbs up for excitement.

Someone else mentioned "Stealth" being better than average.

Montblack

Richard Lamb
February 21st 06, 05:22 PM
Stella Starr wrote:

> Two thumbs up for "World's Fastest Indian" since we've wandered a teensy
> bit off topic. Nicely done movie, great old period scenes and vehicles,
> and Anthony Hopkins plays...Highflyer.
>
> Richard Lamb wrote:

My Stars, Stella, haven't seen you around in quite a while.

We went to see "World's Fastest Indian" yesterday and give it an enthusiastic
all-four thumbs up!

And you are right.
Anthony Hopkins did an excellent portrayal of HF! :)
Thanks for the recommendation.

I really liked "Second Hand Lions", too (as above).
Any movie that starts with a Stearman flying UNDER an overpass can't be
all bad. (According to the "making of" on the back side of the DVD, this
scene was shot "real" (not on a green screen).

Lastly, my date had asked if we could go see "Broke Dick Mountain" because
her "friends" were so impressed with it.
This is the first time I've ever denied her a movie request.
Almost expected some flack from that, but it actually turned out the opposite.

Ya votes wit' yer dollars, folks...

Richard

Stella Starr
February 22nd 06, 04:01 AM
Big chicken. :-)
I hear tell it's considered a "date movie" as all the romantical stuff
gets us wimmen feelin' tender...

Richard Lamb wrote:
> Stella Starr wrote:
>
>> Two thumbs up for "World's Fastest Indian" since we've wandered a
>> teensy bit off topic. Nicely done movie, great old period scenes and
>> vehicles, and Anthony Hopkins plays...Highflyer.
>>
>> Richard Lamb wrote:
>>

> My Stars, Stella, haven't seen you around in quite a while.
>

> Lastly, my date had asked if we could go see "Broke Dick Mountain" because
> her "friends" were so impressed with it.
> This is the first time I've ever denied her a movie request.

Roger
February 22nd 06, 07:00 AM
On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:00:04 -0500, Margy > wrote:

>Flyingmonk wrote:
>> Monty wrote:
>>
>>>I missed the Walking on the Moon IMAX film earlier this winter.
>>>http://www.imax.com/magnificentdesolation/

The last one I saw was "The Dream is Alive"

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>> Saw that eon on a field trip to SS, in DC with my daughter's thrid
>> grade class. I chaparoned, again.
>>
>> The Monk
>>
>Yeah, the Dad's always show up when the field trip is to Air and Space!
> The new IMAX "Roving Mars" is also very good. As a teacher I think
>"Fighter Pilot" is great because it's about team work rather than being
>bigger and better than the rest.
>
>Margy

Richard Lamb
February 22nd 06, 03:21 PM
Stella Starr wrote:
> Big chicken. :-)
> I hear tell it's considered a "date movie" as all the romantical stuff
> gets us wimmen feelin' tender...

By modern standards, perhaps so (sadly).

But the age old idea of something hot and throbbing between the legs
works just as well - maybe even better?

MOTORCYCLE, gang, motorcycle!

Ta ta, dear,

Richard

Jim Macklin
February 22nd 06, 07:33 PM
The difference between a Harley and a Hoover, the location
of the dirt bag.

BTW, I ride, first bike I rode was a Harley.

"Richard Lamb" > wrote in message
ink.net...
| Stella Starr wrote:
| > Big chicken. :-)
| > I hear tell it's considered a "date movie" as all the
romantical stuff
| > gets us wimmen feelin' tender...
| >

| By modern standards, perhaps so (sadly).
|
| But the age old idea of something hot and throbbing
between the legs
| works just as well - maybe even better?
|
| MOTORCYCLE, gang, motorcycle!
|
| Ta ta, dear,
|
| Richard

Highflyer
February 24th 06, 05:52 AM
"Stella Starr" > wrote in message
> Two thumbs up for "World's Fastest Indian" since we've wandered a teensy
> bit off topic. Nicely done movie, great old period scenes and vehicles,
> and Anthony Hopkins plays...Highflyer.

My goodness! And Kerasotes Theatres just sent Mary and I an email letting
us know that our 5 buck movie card is good this week to see "World's Fastest
Indian" and Mary just mentioned to me earlier this evening that she would
like to go see it next week! Thanks for the recommendation! :-)

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )

Google