PDA

View Full Version : boB and helicopter fly-in

Stuart Fields
February 10th 06, 03:25 PM
boB in one of your earlier posts you asked if there was someplace to go and
see all the small helicopters. There are two major gatherings for the
experimental helicopters. Homer Bell's in Hillsboror Ohio in July and John
Spurling;s in Cleveland Ok. in October. Both are a must for people
interested in the experimental helo community.. We go every year even tho
it is a long trailer ride for us from Calif. But we produce the
Experimental Helo magazine and both those shows are and absolute must for
us. Great people and great event. Usually some 30-40 helos show up at
Homer's and Spurling's attendance is growing but has been in the high 20's
recently. We can provide detailed directions if you are interested.
Stu Fields Baby Belle driver

Steve R
February 10th 06, 07:28 PM
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in
message ...
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 07:25:39 -0800, "Stuart Fields" >
> wrote:
>
>>boB in one of your earlier posts you asked if there was someplace to go
>>and
>>see all the small helicopters. There are two major gatherings for the
>>experimental helicopters. Homer Bell's in Hillsboror Ohio in July and
>>John
>>Spurling;s in Cleveland Ok. in October. Both are a must for people
>>interested in the experimental helo community.. We go every year even tho
>>it is a long trailer ride for us from Calif. But we produce the
>>Experimental Helo magazine and both those shows are and absolute must for
>>us. Great people and great event. Usually some 30-40 helos show up at
>>Homer's and Spurling's attendance is growing but has been in the high 20's
>>recently. We can provide detailed directions if you are interested.
>>Stu Fields Baby Belle driver
>
> Anyone ever let someone try out their Helicycle at one of these
> events?? :)

Would you?

The only people I would "even" consider letting do that is someone that I'd
known for a "very" long time and had "absolute" confidence in. Having said
that, the two people I know from my active aviation days that fall into that
category probably wouldn't ask, even if they were fully rated and qualified.

Come to think of it, there is one person I'd let fly my Helicycle if I had
one. That would be B.J. Schramm, but there's only one problem with
that.......... ;-)

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Steve R
February 13th 06, 03:47 AM
"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in
message ...

>>Come to think of it, there is one person I'd let fly my Helicycle if I had
>>one. That would be B.J. Schramm, but there's only one problem with
>>that.......... ;-)
>
> I think the only thing he's piloting right now is a Halocycle....

I certainly hope so. :-) I've had the privilege of meeting Mr. Schramm on
a number of occasions, most of them at the PRA Fly-in in Mentone, In. He
was a really cool guy to talk to and a consummate gentleman.

The most memorable conversation came at the PRA fly-in that occurred after
he had flown his demo Helicycle through / into a set of power lines. I had
told him how good it was to see him there, considering recent history. He
smiled and shook my hand and then talked about the incident for a couple of
minutes, praising the Helicycle for how well it had taken the impact and
also praising God for protecting him through the ordeal. At one point, he
got a bit somber, describing the incident. It was hard not to tear up in
that moment. He was truly a remarkable individual and he is missed.

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Steve R
February 14th 06, 07:54 PM
<talking about B.J. Schramm>

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in
message ...

> Wish I could have met the man. Gotta admire people who take on
> challenges like he did. Would have been cool to sit down with him a
> couple cold beers and discuss helicopters in general.

I agree. I sat in on his talks at the PRA conventions. His knowledge of
helicopter dynamics was "very" impressive, as was his ability to present the
information in a way that made it perfectly comprehensible to us average
folk. His stories of overcoming the design and performance problems
associated with the Helicycle (which often had references back his days at
Rotorway) were a lot of fun and very interesting to listen too!

Fly Safe,
Steve R.

Google