PDA

View Full Version : Most Beautiful Glider Competition...

Jono Richards
February 10th 06, 07:44 PM
Well, whilst we are at it on the 'First glider - no
gel coat' lets have a little competition...

What is the most beautiful glider in the following
classes?

1. Club

2. Standard

3. 15/18m

4. Open

To get things going, my personal opinions would be:

1. Club - Libelle

2. Standard - ASW 28

3. 15/18m - Ventus 2a

4. Open - ASH25

Bar the Libelle, these are all fairly modern, so lets
see some of the older ships!

JR

February 10th 06, 07:57 PM
Jono Richards wrote:
> Well, whilst we are at it on the 'First glider - no
> gel coat' lets have a little competition...
>
> What is the most beautiful glider in the following
> classes?
>
> 1. Club
>
> 2. Standard
>
> 3. 15/18m
>
> 4. Open
>
> To get things going, my personal opinions would be:
>
> 1. Club - Libelle
>
> 2. Standard - ASW 28
>
> 3. 15/18m - Ventus 2a
>
> 4. Open - ASH25
>
> Bar the Libelle, these are all fairly modern, so lets
> see some of the older ships!
>
> JR

Universally correct answer: Whatever I'm lucky enough to be flying now.
Otherwise for me ASW-27
UH

February 10th 06, 08:17 PM
You should add another catagory:

5. World Class

In my opinion, the most beautiful World Class glider is the PW-5.

February 10th 06, 08:18 PM
ASW 22 or Nimbus 3 in Open

Jono Richards
February 10th 06, 08:33 PM
At 20:18 10 February 2006, wrote:
>You should add another catagory:
>
>5. World Class
>
>In my opinion, the most beautiful World Class glider
>is the PW-5.

OK I will go with the SZD Junior, runner up in the
world class competition. Another practical (and reasonably
good looking) Polish trainer

Wayne Paul
February 10th 06, 09:01 PM
How about a "home built" category?
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP-14/N14LH/N14LH.htm
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Stories/Contests/2003_Seniors/Udo_2.jpg

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Ray Lovinggood
February 10th 06, 09:22 PM
1. Club
LS1-d

2. Standard
LS1-d

3. 15/18m
ASW-20

4. Open
LS1-d
(Yes, there is a pattern here)

Ok, so I'm biased.

But the LS1c/d is a beautiful design. Nice and long
fuselage (I think about a couple of feet longer than
newer stuff) and a beautiful small stabilator with
swept leading edge that looks much nicer than the fat
stabilator on the Std Cirrus. Also, nice planform
of the wings. No winglets required to improve on sexiness
of this ship.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USa
LS1-d 'W8'

February 10th 06, 09:32 PM
That would be another catagory: 6. Runners up to World Class

Since the entire point of the World Class is to protect the PW-5 from
unfair competition, your vote is disqualified.

JC
February 10th 06, 10:12 PM
The Schleicher K-6E gets my vote, but then I am biased. It was my
first glider.

Kinda like your first car, you will always look loveningly at one.

On 10 Feb 2006 19:44:32 GMT, Jono Richards
> wrote:

>Well, whilst we are at it on the 'First glider - no
>gel coat' lets have a little competition...
>
>What is the most beautiful glider in the following
>classes?
>
>1. Club
>
>2. Standard
>
>3. 15/18m
>
>4. Open
>
>To get things going, my personal opinions would be:
>
>1. Club - Libelle
>
>2. Standard - ASW 28
>
>3. 15/18m - Ventus 2a
>
>4. Open - ASH25
>
>Bar the Libelle, these are all fairly modern, so lets
>see some of the older ships!
>
>JR

February 10th 06, 10:36 PM
Ok, I'll play:

Club: ASW-19 - sexiest fuselage ever.

Std: Discus 2 - cool wings!

15M: LS6 (yeah, I know...)

Open: ASH-25 Oh man it defines TINSFOS.

Kirk
no prize for figuring out what I fly...

February 10th 06, 10:58 PM
Club - Open Cirrus
Standard - Discus 2a
18m - Ventus 2a
Open - Nimbus 4

regards,

chipsoars
February 10th 06, 11:15 PM
Ditto for me!!

Chip F.

Bob Caldwell
February 10th 06, 11:24 PM
The V2ax unless it recently grew is 15m. How about the V2cx for 18m???

Marc Ramsey
February 10th 06, 11:33 PM
Bob Caldwell wrote:
> The V2ax unless it recently grew is 15m. How about the V2cx for 18m???

I think the LAK-17A is prettier than both, and I no longer own one 8^(

Marc

Willie
February 11th 06, 12:55 AM
We must all be very bored. Here are my picks.

Club: K-6E
Standard Class: DG-300
15 Meter: Diana 2
Open Class: ASW-22
Vintage: Sisu
Self Launch: Silent-IN

See if you can figure out what I fly.

8>)

Willie G.

Martin Gregorie
February 11th 06, 01:31 AM
Asbjorn Hojmark wrote:
> On 10 Feb 2006 19:44:32 GMT, Jono Richards
> > wrote:

2. Standard

Libelle.

>> 3. 15/18m
>
> ASW-20, hands down.

Agreed.

>> 4. Open
>
> ASW-22.

Yep.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |

P.Corbett
February 11th 06, 01:46 AM
Jono Richards wrote:
> Well, whilst we are at it on the 'First glider - no
> gel coat' lets have a little competition...
>
> What is the most beautiful glider in the following
> classes?
>
> 1. Club
>
> 2. Standard
>
> 3. 15/18m
>
> 4. Open
>
> To get things going, my personal opinions would be:
>
> 1. Club - Libelle
>
> 2. Standard - ASW 28
>
> 3. 15/18m - Ventus 2a
>
> 4. Open - ASH25
>
> Bar the Libelle, these are all fairly modern, so lets
> see some of the older ships!
>
> JR

I'm torn between two...ASW-17, Kestrel 17.

Paul

Nyal Williams
February 11th 06, 02:46 AM
Vintage Goeppingen Wolfe takes them all

At 01:48 11 February 2006, P.Corbett wrote:
>Jono Richards wrote:
>> Well, whilst we are at it on the 'First glider - no
>> gel coat' lets have a little competition...
>>
>> What is the most beautiful glider in the following
>> classes?
>>
>> 1. Club
>>
>> 2. Standard
>>
>> 3. 15/18m
>>
>> 4. Open
>>
>> To get things going, my personal opinions would be:
>>
>> 1. Club - Libelle
>>
>> 2. Standard - ASW 28
>>
>> 3. 15/18m - Ventus 2a
>>
>> 4. Open - ASH25
>>
>> Bar the Libelle, these are all fairly modern, so lets
>> see some of the older ships!
>>
>> JR
>>

>I'm torn between two...ASW-17, Kestrel 17.
>
>Paul

Tony Verhulst
February 11th 06, 02:55 AM
> Kinda like your first car, you will always look loveningly at one.

No.

Tony "2-33" V.

February 11th 06, 10:46 AM
Jono Richards wrote:
> Well, whilst we are at it on the 'First glider - no
> gel coat' lets have a little competition...
>
> What is the most beautiful glider in the following
> classes?
>
> 1. Club

ASW 19

> 2. Standard

SZD-55

> 3. 15/18m

Glasflügel 304

> 4. Open

ASW 12

-k

February 11th 06, 05:35 PM
Don't forget the 301 Libelle. There's just something about the picture
I love...
http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/PlaneDetails.cfm?planeID=199

February 11th 06, 08:03 PM
Yeah, we are bored. And with snow headed for the U.S. East Coast, we're
not likely to have any soaring to think about for a while yet.

It's difficult not to pick Gerhard Waibel as the most consistent and
prolific designer of beautiful gliders (ASW 12, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 27
& 28; yeah, I know I left off the 15 but that one just didn't do it for
me). For sheer drama, the Discus 2, Nimbus 4, and ASH-25 are pretty
spectacular. I flew a Libelle 201 for many years but sorry, guys, it
was cute. Lovable perhaps, but not beautiful. :)

But to paraphrase an earlier poster, you never forget the gliders that
first captivated you. In my case:

(a) Len Niemi's Sisu, a V-tailed marvel from the '60s (Vintage, Sports,
or Open Class depending on how you look at it); and

(b) Diamant HBV, the 15M version with the Glasflugel 301 wings that had
far more attractive proportions than the later long-winged versions
(Vintage, Sports, or 15M Class).

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

J. N.
February 11th 06, 09:02 PM
Club:
Ka-6, at least from the inside ;-)

Standard
Discus WL ofcourse

15 M
Diana=> no compromises; just the ultimate

18 M
Shift; Yeah, it looks really ugly, but męn, performance...

Open
Eta, see the comment above. (I seem to be one of the very few who like
the looks of the Eta.)

Vintage
Minimoa and the Ka-2.

schreef:

> Jono Richards wrote:
> > Well, whilst we are at it on the 'First glider - no
> > gel coat' lets have a little competition...
> >
> > What is the most beautiful glider in the following
> > classes?
> >
> > 1. Club
>
> ASW 19
>
> > 2. Standard
>
> SZD-55
>
> > 3. 15/18m
>

> Glasflügel 304
>
> > 4. Open
>
> ASW 12
>
> -k

Doug Hoffman
February 11th 06, 11:28 PM
wrote:
> Yeah, we are bored. And with snow headed for the U.S. East Coast, we're
> not likely to have any soaring to think about for a while yet.

Same problem here in Michigan. One new thing for me this winter is
Condor, the competition soaring simulator. With it I am much less
bored, thinking quite a bit about soaring, and perhaps even improving
my soaring skills. YMMV. For about $50 and the cost of a good
joystick (get a good one, not a cheap one) it's a great "soaring"
value.

Regards,

-Doug

Mike I Green
February 12th 06, 01:05 AM
I have always thought that my second glider was the most beautiful. It
was a Phoebus C. Whenever I see one, I still think it has beautiful lines

MG

Jono Richards wrote:
> Well, whilst we are at it on the 'First glider - no
> gel coat' lets have a little competition...
>
> What is the most beautiful glider in the following
> classes?
>
> 1. Club
>
> 2. Standard
>
> 3. 15/18m
>
> 4. Open
>
> To get things going, my personal opinions would be:
>
> 1. Club - Libelle
>
> 2. Standard - ASW 28
>
> 3. 15/18m - Ventus 2a
>
> 4. Open - ASH25
>
> Bar the Libelle, these are all fairly modern, so lets
> see some of the older ships!
>
> JR

--=JJay=--
February 12th 06, 04:39 PM
Jono Richards napisał(a):
> 1. Club

Junior

> 2. Standard

SZD-55

> 3. 15/18m

Diana-2

> 4. Open

ASW22

5. Vintage

SZD 24C Foka4

6. World class ;-)

PW-5 :p

regards
--
--=JJay=--
www.aeroklub.deblin.pl, moje zdjęcia na airfoto.pl - http://tiny.pl/xlkk

Damien Dyer
February 12th 06, 04:58 PM
ASW-15 Looks the best!

At 16:42 12 February 2006, --=jjay=-- wrote:
>Jono Richards napisał(a):
>> 1. Club
>
>Junior
>
>> 2. Standard
>
>SZD-55
>
>> 3. 15/18m
>
>Diana-2
>
>> 4. Open
>
>ASW22
>
>5. Vintage
>
>SZD 24C Foka4
>
>6. World class ;-)
>
>PW-5 :p
>

>regards
>--
>--=JJay=--
>www.aeroklub.deblin.pl, moje zdjęcia na airfoto.pl
>- http://tiny.pl/xlkk
>'Nie dyskutuj z debilem bo najpierw ściągnie cię do
>swojego poziomu a
>potem pokona doświadczeniem'
>Get smart - http://www.GetFireFox.com

Damien Dyer
February 12th 06, 04:58 PM
ASW-15 Looks the best!

At 16:42 12 February 2006, --=jjay=-- wrote:
>Jono Richards napisał(a):
>> 1. Club
>
>Junior
>
>> 2. Standard
>
>SZD-55
>
>> 3. 15/18m
>
>Diana-2
>
>> 4. Open
>
>ASW22
>
>5. Vintage
>
>SZD 24C Foka4
>
>6. World class ;-)
>
>PW-5 :p
>

>regards
>--
>--=JJay=--
>www.aeroklub.deblin.pl, moje zdjęcia na airfoto.pl
>- http://tiny.pl/xlkk
>'Nie dyskutuj z debilem bo najpierw ściągnie cię do
>swojego poziomu a
>potem pokona doświadczeniem'
>Get smart - http://www.GetFireFox.com

Nyal Williams
February 12th 06, 05:43 PM
What is a really good stick? Pedals?

At 23:30 11 February 2006, Doug Hoffman wrote:

> One new thing for me this winter is
>Condor, the competition soaring simulator. With it
>I am much less bored, thinking quite a bit about soaring,
and perhaps even improving
>my soaring skills. YMMV. For about $50 and the cost
>of a good
>joystick (get a good one, not a cheap one) it's a great
>'soaring'
>value.
>
>Regards,
>
>-Doug

Doug Hoffman
February 12th 06, 10:31 PM
Nyal Williams wrote:
> What is a really good stick? Pedals?

Hi Nyal,

After wasting money on a new Logitech joystick, which is junk, I did
some research. Turns out the stick of choice is the Microsoft
Force-Feedback 2 (must be a 2!). No longer made, but you should be
able to find a good used one on eBay. That's what I did. For pedals I
got the CH-Pro USB. They work just fine. Except I did not like the
strong spring self-centering. So I removed the springs (don't try this
unless you are handy with small parts that are a challenge to
re-assemble). Still not perfect pedal feel, force feedback pedals
would be best (have no idea if they exist), but much better than those
springs.

Regards,

-Doug

icarus lived
February 14th 06, 05:06 AM
The eye of this beholder votes for the ASW-27 and single canopy ASH-25
in their classes. I dream about both.

ASW-27:
http://www.williamssoaring.com/images/photo23.jpg

ASH-25:
http://www.williamssoaring.com/images/photo13.jpg
http://www.williamssoaring.com/images/photo21.jpg

PixieAviatrix
February 14th 06, 05:51 AM
My vote goes out to my friend William Lynn Wellers new DG-1000 up in
Arlington, WA:
http://nwsoaring.com/dg1000_a.jpg
http://nwsoaring.com/nweagle2.jpg

With is sexy lines and highly aerodynamic 50:1 airframe, this ship gets
my vote!

FYI: William Lynn gives rides and provides glider instruction at
Arlington, WA for anyone interested...

Be sure to come see this DG-1000 on display at at the Puyallup, WA
Aviation and Trade Confenece on the last weekend of February 2006:

http://www.washington-aviation.org/NAC&TS.html

Traci

PixieAviatrix
February 14th 06, 05:54 AM
Ooops, that ISP wont allow photo views, please check out the Northwest
Eagle Soaring in Arlington, WA website here: http://nwsoaring.com/

Richard Brisbourne
February 17th 06, 10:24 PM
Jono Richards wrote:

> What is the most beautiful glider in the following
> classes?

> Bar the Libelle, these are all fairly modern, so lets
> see some of the older ships!

How about: Open Class: BS1

18m (really a cheat as the class didn't exist): SHK

Standard Class: Foka 4

--
Real name is richard

g l i d e r s t u d
February 18th 06, 04:02 AM
Club: Libelle
Standard: Discus 2ax (anyone one to buy it?)
15meter: ASW27
18meter: Discus 2c
Open: Anything over 24meters is very sexy
Vintage: Pratt-Reid

Garret
www.willatracing.net

Wayne Paul
February 18th 06, 05:46 AM
For 15 meter, how about Udo Rumpf's Super HP-18?
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Stories/Contests/2003_Seniors/2003_Seniors.htm

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

"g l i d e r s t u d" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Club: Libelle
> Standard: Discus 2ax (anyone one to buy it?)
> 15meter: ASW27
> 18meter: Discus 2c
> Open: Anything over 24meters is very sexy
> Vintage: Pratt-Reid
>
> Garret
> www.willatracing.net

bumper
February 18th 06, 05:58 AM
"Wayne Paul" > wrote in message
> For 15 meter, how about Udo Rumpf's Super HP-18?

Nawh! Even Indians were smart enough to put 3 feathers on their arrows. (g)

I still think the Schleicher ships are about as pretty as it gets. They also
look just as pretty inside, where most don't look.

bumper
ASH26E
Minden, NV

Doug Hoffman
February 18th 06, 09:10 AM
bumper wrote:
> "Wayne Paul" > wrote in message
> > For 15 meter, how about Udo Rumpf's Super HP-18?
>

> Nawh! Even Indians were smart enough to put 3 feathers on their arrows. (g)

Don't like V-tails, eh? So where were you when Willie posted the Sisu
and Richard B. posted the SHK? ;-)

-Doug

p.s., I've seen Udo's SHP-18 up close and it truly is a thing of
beauty, IMHO.

Guy Acheson
February 18th 06, 03:15 PM
Standard: Sisu

15M: Speed Astir II

18M: LS8-18 (Nice tips!)

Open Class: ETA

Roy Bourgeois
February 18th 06, 04:07 PM
Well, since we are all bored and waiting for Winter to end (at least in the
Northern Hemisphere) I'll say that I spend several hours looking at, in and
around the beautiful Sisu 1A that was on display at the SSA Convention in
Texas. It is simply the most meticulously crafted piece of metal work I
have ever seen. Every detail was crafted perfectly, there was "Zero"
control slop in this 45 year old glider (including the fowler flaps) , the
dive brakes fit into the metal wing like a knife edge and every assembly
pin (and there were about 12) had a hand crafted self retaining sleeve. No
wonder the ship cost $10,000 (in 1961 dollars!).

Roy

Roy A. Bourgeois
Bourgeois Dresser White & Beard
4 Dix Street
Worcester MA 01609

tel: 508 798 8801
fax: 508 754 1943

John Galloway
February 18th 06, 04:45 PM
At 04:06 18 February 2006, G L I D E R S T U D wrote:
>Club: Libelle
>Standard: Discus 2ax (anyone one to buy it?)
>15meter: ASW27
>18meter: Discus 2c
>Open: Anything over 24meters is very sexy
>Vintage: Pratt-Reid
>
>Garret
>www.willatracing.net

I second the above selection and cite:

www.segelfliegen-magazin.de/seite07galerie_einzel/seite07galerie10
html

February 19th 06, 12:04 AM
OK, I know I'm obsessed, but to me Antares is really gorgeous.
The continuous curve of the leading edge, the long thin wing,
the long thin fuselage with smooth flowing lines in back of the wing
(no sharp contraction), and the elegant tail...
Really, have a look:
http://www.nadler.com/public/Antares_NearRamstein.JPG

http://www.nadler.com/public/Antares_CirclingTogetherOverMoselleRiver.JPG
http://www.nadler.com/public/Antares_DavesGrin.JPG