PDA

View Full Version : ?Accident/Incident?

Ol Shy & Bashful
February 11th 06, 08:01 PM
Scenario #1
Helicopter hits a wire doing blade damage, tearing off an end cap,
causing the blades to be removed for inspection and overhaul. No other
damage or injuries. Repair cost estimated at in excess of $25,000. NTSB
reportable? Accident or incident? Read the FAR's carefully...
Scenario #2
Student pilot, solo in C-172SP, does a hard bounce (for the student)
followed by a bad recovery that hits the prop and nose gear on the
concrete runway. Student taxis in to the ramp, a distance of about a
mile and doesn't become aware of any damage until after shutdown. one
prop blade tip is curled at about 5", and the other shows obvious
strike damage. The nose gear linkage is pushed up into the lower
cowling and there are wrinkles in the firewall. No injuries and no
other obvious damage. Repair estimate to be about $35,000.
NYSB reportable? Accident or incident? Again, read the regs
carefully..... heh heh
Now let me go clean off my big stirring stick.....

boB
February 12th 06, 09:53 AM
Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
> Scenario #1
> Helicopter hits a wire doing blade damage, tearing off an end cap,
> causing the blades to be removed for inspection and overhaul. No other
> damage or injuries. Repair cost estimated at in excess of $25,000. NTSB
> reportable? Accident or incident? Read the FAR's carefully...

I lived to see the day...... An OH58C just tapping a tree top, just
putting two 1/4 inch dents required not only blade replacement, but also
a sudden stoppage for the engine and drive train. I'm glad I got out of
maintenance when seeing that.

--

boB
Wing 70