PDA

View Full Version : Griswold Airport CT in danger

Aviv Hod
March 3rd 06, 02:47 AM
Same old story - developer sees a nice flat piece of real estate and
starts the countdown to another airport disappearing :-/

http://www.boston.com/news/local/connecticut/articles/2006/03/02/75_year_old_griswold_airports_future_is_in_doubt/

-Aviv

March 3rd 06, 03:41 AM
I've flown over that strip 1000 times on the way from Bridegport to the
Vineyard/Nantucket/Hyannis etc. It's so small you have to be almost on
top of it to see it. IIRC it's close to the coast which I suppose
explains the developers' interest.

Dana M. Hague
March 5th 06, 04:09 PM
On 2 Mar 2006 19:41:52 -0800, "
> wrote:

>I've flown over that strip 1000 times on the way from Bridegport to the
>Vineyard/Nantucket/Hyannis etc. It's so small you have to be almost on
>top of it to see it. IIRC it's close to the coast which I suppose
>explains the developers' interest.

"Close to the coast"? It's ON the coast, or on the river / harbor
anyway; there even used to be a seaplane ramp. It's not hard to see
because it's small (though it is), but it's surrounded by swamp that's
the same brown color as the airport grass.

I'm one of the local Griswold pilots... we've been fighting this for
*years*; it's in the endgame now with only DEP permits in question
(the water table is 18" below the surface, and the developer is
planning a septic system for 127 homes on 27 buildable acres; wonder
whose palm's getting greased?).

There's a longer version of the newspaper article at:
http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-madgriswold.artfeb25,0,4895936.story?coll=hc-big-headlines-breaking
and the "Stop Griswold OverDevelopment" organization is at
http://sgod.org

It's gotta be the most friendly, laid back airport I've ever seen...
GA, ultralights, powered paragliders, and R/C'ers coexist there with
no trouble. Truly a throwback to an earlier era, be real sad to see
it go.

-Dana
If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.

Dana M. Hague
March 12th 06, 10:51 PM
On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:41:39 GMT, B A R R Y
> wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:47:59 -0500, Aviv Hod
> wrote:
>
>>Same old story - developer sees a nice flat piece of real estate and
>>starts the countdown to another airport disappearing :-/
>
>I know a real estate agent in Madison (I live 15-20 miles away), who
>has stated over and over that Madison was "running out of buildable
>lots".
>
>Griswold is currently private, no?
>
>I've flown over it 200 times, and would have loved to drop a T&G , but
>I can't.

Why not?

Griswold is privately owned, but public use. The manager says "prior
permission required", but I've never heard it being a problem when
people just drop in.

Big ultralight bash there in May:
http://www.ctchutes.com/boogie

-Dana
If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
If you don't grow up by age 35, you don't have to.

Dana M. Hague
March 14th 06, 06:13 PM
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 22:56:43 GMT, B A R R Y
> wrote:

>Are you the same Dana Hauge who flys r/c barefoot and owns a basket
>case T-craft? If so, I used to fly gremlins with you in Durham. I
>traded my r/c stuff for a '76 Beech Sundowner.

BARRY... Burke, right? Good to hear from ya! Yup, that's me. Sold
the T-Craft project when I got into PPG, and rarely fly R/C now
(though I landed at the Durham field once in my PPG). Contact me
offline, make the obvious changes or via the link at
http://www.parafan.com.

-Dana

If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
Access denied--nah nah na nah nah!

Google