PDA

View Full Version : Sunset flight in a B-17

Dave
March 8th 06, 07:02 PM
Let me begin by saying that I'm one of those guys in Jay's recent
post...that stranger over there on "the wrong side of the fence".
I won't sue, OK? <G>

Over the past few years I've read posts by others about their
experiences in vintage aircraft and now it's my turn to share. My story
begins last Thursday; I was doing laundry and heard the unmistakable
sound of four big radials approaching. I was out the back door in a
flash shouting for my wife to come see, hurry... Maggie the dog joined
in the excitement thinking no doubt I'd spotted the biggest squirrel
ever. There overhead, rumbling sedately along at about 1000' was a
gorgeous B-17!

I live near McCollum field N. of Atlanta and thought the Collins guys
were in town. A quick google and a couple of phone calls and I learned
it was the Libery Belle http://www.libertyfoundation.org/ and they'd be
offering rides Saturday and Sunday with free tours inside her in the
late afternoon after the flights.

My father-in-law shares my love for all things aviation, especially
the vintage heavies, so I called him to let him know what was up
(literally). He's a vet, getting up in years, diabetic, and not able to
get around very easily. I figured it would be a fun thing for his
daughter, he and I to visit and see the plane, even if he couldn't go
through it. We planned to go on Sunday afternoon, and Fri. and Sat. via
email I joked with him about taking a flight, knowing he'd never go for
it at 395 a pop. Noway, never, nada.

Sunday morning we wasn't feeling well, and said he probably couldn't
go, so Wife and I drove down to McCollum and saw LB; took photos,talked
to some people, watched as those big ol Wrights fired up, watched with
envy as those rich folk crawled up into the hatch for a ride, and
watched (from the wrong side of the fence) as that beauty took off. Wow!

Well, that was fun, and off we went for lunch, and a hike at our fav.
State Park. http://gastateparks.org/info/redtop/ Shameless plug; I'm a
volunteer there.

We decided late afternoon to give F-I-L a call and try to talk him in
to going to see LB...it would be good for him to get out on a beautiful
day to see a B-17. To our surprise, he said yes, and we went to pick him
up. WELL. On our way from his house to the airport (5 min drive) he says
"Thanks for talking me into going, and thanks for talking me into taking
a ride." Insert here sound of jaws dropping. He'd gotten an insurance
check in the mail that day, and wanted to use it to take us all up.
!!!Holy Cow!!! Wife and I were speechless, and my pulse was way up,
lemee tell ya.

So it's like 4:30, and the ground tours were scheduled for 5
ish...were there seats available??? Hurry!! I dropped them off at the
gate, and went to park. Excitement! Anxiety! Were we to come so close to
the ride of a lifetime only to miss it by 3 seats or a few minutes? They
were at the sign-in table, and I got there in time to hear "Oh, THREE
seats? Great, that fills our last flight!"

Holy. Cow. Never. Noway. Nada.

We had an hour and a half of giggly anticipation because they were
behind schedule, but our turn was finally up. Our group was given an
informal briefing, with some history of the bird, questions and answers,
introductions, small talk, etc...all on "The Right Side of The Fence".
Liberty Belle taxied in, her wingtip sweeping over us in a tight left
turn as the pilot gunned the outboards. A blast of propwash; a great
overpowering roar; the smell of internal combustion. She came to a stop
with her stabilizer literally within my reach, so I did. I rested my
hand lightly on the cold, curved aluminum and felt the tremble of 4800
horses drop to idle.

I knew FIL would have trouble boarding. He's big, heavy, and has some
difficulty getting into and out of a car. We let the others go first,
then I leaned to his ear and yelled "You're gonna get up those steps and
into that plane even if you have to crawl". And that's exactly how it
went. (He's now bruised, scraped, and sore, but he doesn't care one
bit). Thank goodness for the 3 seats right by the hatch, with the waist
gunner window directly across. That's where he rode. We buckled in as we
taxied, and gave the "thumbs up" to the crew. The taxi took a while; our
ride had begun! Earplugs were handed out and I stuffed mine in my
pocket. Rumbling, engines throttling up and down and brake linings
singing notes as we maneuvered down the taxiway. A right turn and we
were perpendicular to the runway, the engines running up a bit. I
scanned out the waist window for approaching traffic wondering if we'd
make a turning running start. No traffic. The engines changed pitch and
the inboard brake sang us around the last turn. A pause. I took my
pulse, my wife grinned at me. I held my camera out and took a self
portrait of the 3 of us there at the brink. Wait....wait......

Here it is. 36 cylinders rose quickly and ever so smoothly to a
synchronized roar. The myriad and random squeaks, rattles and vibrations
merged into a finely tuned symphony; a deep silky howl of one note.
There was a jolt as the tail leapt upwards on the propwash, and Liberty
seemed to gather herself. She was *alive*. A moment passed, then a
slight lurch as the brakes were released. Acceleration. Power. My fist
clenched and rose as the tail came up; I can play conductor in the most
powerful score ever!
Go baby, GO!
I laughed; I may have even shouted in exuberance, but no one would have
heard. We rose quickly on those broad wings, and it seems less than 30
seconds after liftoff came the double thumbs-up from the crew. Unbuckle,
and have fun. For the next half-hour, this is our playground at 2000
feet. Just don't grab those cables running overhead...

I helped my FIL to a position where he could see out the waist
window...Man, he was really digging this! The sun was minutes from
setting, and as we headed north up 41 his view was perfect. Several
times during the flight I noticed him Conducting the Symphony, too. Our
route took us north to Lake Allatoona, where we turned east and flew the
length of the lake. There was absolutely no turbulence, and the aircraft
conveyed a feeling of stability and security. I reached my arm as far as
I could out the opening in the top behind the turret, and felt the
windblast there. One's arm out a car window at 75 MPH ain't nothin! I
sashayed the catwalk, and went up into the cockpit. Wow, is this really
happening? Fella taps me on the shoulder and motions for me to give him
my camera (you really don't talk in a B-17, you have to yell) and he
snaps a shot of me there. (I look like a deranged hijacker. "Fly me
anywhere you want, just don't land yet") Turns out this guy was a
co-pilot on a B-17 way back when; what an honor to share the flight with
him. Someone sticks his head up at my feet and shouts "seen the nose
yet?" grins and jerks his thumb thataway. I crawl in, all alone, and sit
in the bombardiers seat. The whole blue-green-purple world coming at me
in slow motion with the horizon cocked at a surreal angle. It's just too
amazing to be there.
Not for the first time, I reflect on what this machine was made for,
and how the men who perched in the same sort of seat I was in were
awestruck by the same beauty. And I try to imagine what it was like not
playing here, but working. The most serious, deadly work imaginable; the
Work of War. I try to imagine the fear and anxiety, and the Dedication
of Men who put all that aside when the time came for the task at hand...

I snap a couple of photos, and my Wife crawls in. We stand and share
the view and the moment, and exchange a quick kiss. Not quite the Mile
High Club, but it's plenty close enough. Pretty soon, I'm out of camera
flash card space, and watch the scenery pass below. I'm very familiar
with the region, and easily pick out places I know from 6' AGL. We are
nearing the airport, I go back and sit with my FIL. A minute later a
crewmember tells me we are going to do a low pass over the runway, turn,
and land. Now, we've already been in the air longer than the normal 30
minute flight. This may be because of the aforementioned Vet aboard,
along with the fact it's the last flight of the last day of the first
stop on Liberty Belle's tour. Who knows.

We drop down low, and roar down the runway, probably 100-200 up. Man o
man o man o MAN! Pulling up hard, a sweeping left turn past Kennesaw
Mtn. and a descending left turn into final. We're buckled in, and I spot
a crewmember looking back at us from the cockpit. I give him the double
thumbs-up and he returns in kind. The engines are throttled back and I
watch landmarks go by as I judge how far the runway is. Lower...Lower...
There's that warehouse, we're level with the roof...here's the runway...

I felt a very slight jolt, then nothing. I thought, "Wow, he certainly
grea..." SKROUWLT! LurCH!!! Well, OK. That's more believable. The tail
comes down, and there's a heckuva clatter as if the tailwheel is
flopping back and forth. I can feel the brakes pulsing as we slow down.
Without the engine roar and smooth vibration of takeoff, landing is
noisy in it's own way. A crewmember comes back as we taxi, and we
preplan our exit. We let everone else off, and with the help of the crew
and a couple of lineguys, FIL makes it back to terra firma in style.
It's dusk, and the front hatch is opened so the public can walk through.
There's only about 75 or so folks, surprisingly. I'm feel like John
Young after STS-1...I'm all pumped up, walking around the
plane...feeling the hot brakes, manifold heat, ETC and ETC. What an
awesome machine!

Things I'd do if ever I fly one again:
Mentally pre-plan the things to do/see better. I missed the top
turret. Completely forgot it was there.
Fresh charged batteries and film/card space for the camera.
Take a moment to find a clear spot in the plexi to shoot through.
Don't let the need to photograph detract from the experience
itself.

I'd like to thank:
The crew and members of The Liberty Belle Foundation. Very
professional and FUN. Thanks

This group, RAP. I've learned a lot here, and I enjoyed the flight
more because of it. Part of the Sunday's thrill is being able to post
it here for you guys. Thanks, and BTW, I've posted 2 batches of pix
over at ABPA subject "B-17G"

My Father in Law. Thanks for buying yourself a ride, mostly. You
deserve it. That C and I got to ride too is icing on the cake, and
even though I paid nothing, it was, as they say, "worth every penny."
Thanks

The Men that actually flew these planes in war. THANKS

~Dave

Dick Meade
March 8th 06, 07:23 PM
"Dave" > wrote in message

> Let me begin by saying that I'm one of those guys in Jay's recent
> post...that stranger over there on "the wrong side of the fence".
> I won't sue, OK? <G>

Jay: Here's your co-author for that book.

Dave: Great story, well told. Thanks.

nrp
March 8th 06, 08:12 PM
Had to get my hanky out to read it clearly. Thank your FIL from all of
us.

Morgans
March 8th 06, 11:24 PM
"Dave" > wrote

> I'd like to thank:
> The crew and members of The Liberty Belle Foundation. Very

> The Men that actually flew these planes in war. THANKS

I second your motion! Also, great writing!

I'm a member of the free B-17 ride, too. I got mine for working the crowd
at the EAA's Overcast Aluminum tour, a few years back. They take some of
the workers with them, to the next stop on the tour, where one of our
drivers went and picked us up. It was about a 45 minute flight, I guess.

I was also blown away, and will never forget it. It seems like it was only
yesterday.

You can stand up with one foot on each seat, and stick your whole torso out
of the top hatch. Backwards works better; you can breathe, that way! <g> I
got a fantastic picture looking out past the tail, with the ground below.
To top it all off, a little added bonus was the fact that the anti collision
strobe blinked while the shutter clicked. It is probably one of the best
pictures I have ever taken.

The whole thing was quite a rush, but one could not help but stop to think
about all of the brave young men that fought and died on one of those
planes. There certainly is no protection against flying steel and lead, and
they knew it. Intestinal fortitude was not lacking, for all of them, or
they could never have gotten up in the morning to fly that next mission.

My Salute. We owe more than words can express!
--
Jim in NC

gatt
March 9th 06, 12:27 AM
> The Men that actually flew these planes in war. THANKS
>
> ~Dave

Thanks for the ride report, Dave! Made my afternoon.

I had a similar ride in Nine-O-Nine with my grandfather on June 17, 1995.
He had not ridden in a B-17 since being shot down over Schweinfurt in
October of 1943. He was a waist gunner and opted to ride in the nose for
most of the trip. At one point, they feathered #1 and when I noticed it I
pointed it out to him (like you said, you there's no casual chatter in a
B-17) he looked at it for a moment and then shrugged and grinned. Not a
second of doubt that the old horse would make it home; ("Hell," he said
aftwerward. "It wasn't even on fire.")

Afterward, the family asked how he handled it and I responded honestly: I'd
never seen him smile so broadly in his life. After the flight, he quietly
asked the crew to autograph an airplane photo, which visibly moved them. He
told them his friend and pilot had won the DFC for crash-landing a burning
airplane with three engines out and an airfield of Germans swarming at them,
but he supposed that the Collins Foundation guys might be the best B-17
pilots he'd ever seen. (Promised not to elaborate on that one. ;> )

Shortly after he died I did some volunteer work for Evergreen and got to
ride around two or three times in their B-17. Spent many hours in the quiet
hangar while others were poking around, just sitting in the pilot's seat and
absorbing the smell, the instrument layout, the checklists and the view over
the nose. Cracked main spar; she doesn't fly anymore and they want $7 just
so I can walk through from the waist to the bomb bay. I rode in every
position but the ball (taxiied in the ball) and hand-disassembled every .50
belt, hand-Brassoed the bullets and reassembled and installed them. Washed
the whole bird two or three times...fished out investor litter; stuff like
pop cans and candy wrappers in the ammo boxes, strapped people into the nose
while they bitched 'cause they couldn't ride the Tri-Motor. ("Is this one
the B-29 or the Tri-Motor." I'd say count the friggin' engines but they'd
-still- be wrong.) Guided WWII vets and their families through. Some
vets, they'd get to the hangar, look at the plane and shut down. You'd
offer to let them inside, they wouldn't do it. The War was Over. We learned
however that swinging up through the front hatch properly (without a ladder)
garnered great respect from the old-timers.

It kills me that some fatass volunteer just glazes over and looks at me
when I ask if they've put the site together in the ball turret, etc.

On the other hand, I am always moved when I read a ride report like
yours--somebody who gets it, who understands that it's not just another
pretty airplane with four engines and a million guns poking out of it.
$400 to ride, it ain't nothin'. Ten years later people don't miss the money
but they sure never forget the ride. Like the old man said, you never
forget it. Years down the road, you'll close your eyes and you'll be able to
hear it, to smell it, to remember the rivets and the rudder cables, the
reflection of the nose on the polished prop hubs...

Thank you again, Dave.
-c

Kyle Boatright
March 9th 06, 12:39 AM
If you'd like to look at an air-to-air picture of the Liberty Bell over Lake
Allatoona (Just north of Atlanta), do this link and you'll see the best one
I made at about 5:00 or so on Saturday. Probably the flight immediately
before yours.

http://www.vansairforce.net/

If you click on the picture, it'll expand to a screen filling size. If
you're *really* interested, send me a note outside the newsgroup and I'll
send you 3 or 4 of the best pic's. Note, the files are 3-4 mp...

KB

"Dave" > wrote in message

> snip<<<
>
> I live near McCollum field N. of Atlanta and thought the Collins guys
> were in town. A quick google and a couple of phone calls and I learned
> it was the Libery Belle http://www.libertyfoundation.org/ and they'd be
> offering rides Saturday and Sunday with free tours inside her in the
> late afternoon after the flights.
>
> My father-in-law shares my love for all things aviation, especially
> the vintage heavies, so I called him to let him know what was up
> (literally). He's a vet, getting up in years, diabetic, and not able to
> get around very easily. I figured it would be a fun thing for his
> daughter, he and I to visit and see the plane, even if he couldn't go
> through it. We planned to go on Sunday afternoon, and Fri. and Sat. via
> email I joked with him about taking a flight, knowing he'd never go for
> it at 395 a pop. Noway, never, nada.
>
> Sunday morning we wasn't feeling well, and said he probably couldn't
> go, so Wife and I drove down to McCollum and saw LB; took photos,talked
> to some people, watched as those big ol Wrights fired up, watched with
> envy as those rich folk crawled up into the hatch for a ride, and
> watched (from the wrong side of the fence) as that beauty took off. Wow!
>
>>snip>>>
> The Men that actually flew these planes in war. THANKS
>
> ~Dave

JJS
March 9th 06, 03:08 AM
"Dave" > wrote in message ...
snip a great read!

> I'd like to thank:
> The crew and members of The Liberty Belle Foundation. Very
> professional and FUN. Thanks
>
> This group, RAP. I've learned a lot here, and I enjoyed the flight
> more because of it. Part of the Sunday's thrill is being able to post
> it here for you guys. Thanks, and BTW, I've posted 2 batches of pix
> over at ABPA subject "B-17G"
>
> My Father in Law. Thanks for buying yourself a ride, mostly. You
> deserve it. That C and I got to ride too is icing on the cake, and
> even though I paid nothing, it was, as they say, "worth every penny."
> Thanks
>
> The Men that actually flew these planes in war. THANKS
>
> ~Dave

THANK YOU, DAVE!
I had a cousin who received the CMH in a B-17. Someday I hope to experience a flight in one.
BTW what & where is: ABPA? I want to see the pics.
Joe Schneider
8437R

Wiz
March 9th 06, 03:09 AM
Really great picture, Kyle, and great story, Dave. Posts like these
are one of the things that makes this community so enjoyable.

Thanks,
Wiz

Jay Honeck
March 9th 06, 03:28 AM
> This group, RAP. I've learned a lot here, and I enjoyed the flight
> more because of it. Part of the Sunday's thrill is being able to post
> it here for you guys. Thanks, and BTW, I've posted 2 batches of pix
> over at ABPA subject "B-17G"

I could barely finish your post, Dave, what with being all choked up and
all. What a great narrative!

Thank YOU for making this a great day for me -- and all of us around the
world who read this newsgroup daily. Your experience brightened my day,
broadened my horizons, and convinced me that flying in a B-17 is no longer a
"wanna do" -- it's now a "gotta do".

Blue skies, my friend. And thank your father-in-law from me, personally.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck
March 9th 06, 03:39 AM
> Blue skies, my friend. And thank your father-in-law from me, personally.

As usual, alt.binaries.pictures.aviation has "dumped" most of your pix
before I could get to see them.

How many pix we talking about, Dave? If you pick your favorite dozen or so,
send 'em to me via email (like, maybe, two at a time?), and I'll create a
webpage for them. They're too good to just evaporate into the ether!

Send 'em to and I'll try to get that set up on
Friday.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Dave
March 9th 06, 03:49 AM
Thanks for sharing this!

I have saved it for at least a few reads in the future, with your
permission..

Where is the hanky..

.....I would drop a lot more than a few hundred bucks for this ride!

Woudda grabbed a ride in "Crazy Horse" 3 weeks ago if they (all THREE
Mustangs) were not booked solid for 4 weeks, at $2900 US per ride!

Next trip I will plan better...

Dave

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:02:50 -0500, Dave > wrote:

> Let me begin by saying that I'm one of those guys in Jay's recent
>post...that stranger over there on "the wrong side of the fence".
> I won't sue, OK? <G>
>
> Over the past few years I've read posts by others about their
>experiences in vintage aircraft and now it's my turn to share. My story
>begins last Thursday; I was doing laundry and heard the unmistakable
>sound of four big radials approaching. I was out the back door in a
>flash shouting for my wife to come see, hurry... Maggie the dog joined
>in the excitement thinking no doubt I'd spotted the biggest squirrel
>ever. There overhead, rumbling sedately along at about 1000' was a
>gorgeous B-17!

Dave
March 9th 06, 04:27 PM
Kyle Boatright wrote:

> If you'd like to look at an air-to-air picture of the Liberty Bell over Lake
> Allatoona (Just north of Atlanta), do this link and you'll see the best one
> I made at about 5:00 or so on Saturday. Probably the flight immediately
> before yours.
>
> http://www.vansairforce.net/
>
> If you click on the picture, it'll expand to a screen filling size. If
> you're *really* interested, send me a note outside the newsgroup and I'll
> send you 3 or 4 of the best pic's. Note, the files are 3-4 mp...
>
> KB

OMG, Kyle!

This is just too good! Thanks a mil, and *yes* I'm really interested.

I read your text, and get this...First, our flight was late Sunday.
Saturday I was at Red Top making charcoal (big fire, sealed 55 gal
drums, etc) to fuel our iron bloomery for the upcoming Hills of Iron
event. All day I watched Liberty pass by in the near distance and return
at fairly regular intervals. Eye and ear candy all day long.

Later in the afternoon (and I'm trying to remember this carefully)
Liberty was chugging along not far south of my position (about 1/4-3/8
mile SE of Bethany Bridge), headed back to McCollum apparently,
northwest of Acworth and I heard a second, smaller plane behind her and
closer to my position. I looked and saw the smaller plane approaching
her quickly from behind and thought how cool to be a ga pilot and spot
that baby on a Saturday cruise. The smaller plane approached from the
NW say, and swung behind her and to my memory made a *tight* right turn.
One of them thar Acarobatic airyplanes, I thought to myself. I may have
watched a bit longer, I'm not sure. Wish I could remember more...

Hm! Betcha that was you! Way too cool!

FIL will love the pic!

~Dave

Dave
March 9th 06, 04:31 PM
JJS wrote:

> BTW what & where is: ABPA? I want to see the pics.

Alt.binaries.pictures.aviation, another usenet group.

See Jay's response, however.

~Dave

Dave
March 9th 06, 04:33 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

If you pick your favorite dozen or so,
> send 'em to me via email (like, maybe, two at a time?), and I'll create a
> webpage for them. They're too good to just evaporate into the ether!

You're too kind, Jay. Thanks!

~Dave

Ross Richardson
March 9th 06, 04:46 PM
I could kick my self for missing my free B-17 ride in the Aluminum
Overcast years ago because our chapter also sponsored it. I had been off
three days already and thougth I needed to get back to work. Boy did I
make the most stupid decision of my life that day. The others that went
had a wonderful time. This would have been a once in a life time
experience. I will have to buy the next ride. A B-25 ride is also desired.

Ross

Morgans wrote:

> "Dave" > wrote
>

>> I'd like to thank:
>> The crew and members of The Liberty Belle Foundation. Very
>

>> The Men that actually flew these planes in war. THANKS
>

> I second your motion! Also, great writing!
>
> I'm a member of the free B-17 ride, too. I got mine for working the crowd
> at the EAA's Overcast Aluminum tour, a few years back. They take some of
> the workers with them, to the next stop on the tour, where one of our
> drivers went and picked us up. It was about a 45 minute flight, I guess.
>
> I was also blown away, and will never forget it. It seems like it was only
> yesterday.
>
> You can stand up with one foot on each seat, and stick your whole torso out
> of the top hatch. Backwards works better; you can breathe, that way! <g> I
> got a fantastic picture looking out past the tail, with the ground below.
> To top it all off, a little added bonus was the fact that the anti collision
> strobe blinked while the shutter clicked. It is probably one of the best
> pictures I have ever taken.
>
> The whole thing was quite a rush, but one could not help but stop to think
> about all of the brave young men that fought and died on one of those
> planes. There certainly is no protection against flying steel and lead, and
> they knew it. Intestinal fortitude was not lacking, for all of them, or
> they could never have gotten up in the morning to fly that next mission.
>
> My Salute. We owe more than words can express!

Dave S
March 9th 06, 09:02 PM
Jay

I know that the Collings Foundation has a package on their website
regarding hosting a tour spot. I am working a joint local EAA event with
them in Houston the first of April, and have the B17, B24 AND B25 coming
to visit.

Perhaps you can ralley the same folks who were involved in the
recent political wranglings, and seek to try and get the bombers to come
to Iowa City next year. Much of their market appears to be veterans, and
much of their flying is in California and Florida, but they cover the
midsection of the US in transit between those populations.

If you are instrumental in getting it there (as in coordinating it) you
have a good chance of getting a ride in it to the next stop, not just
having a 30-40 min revenue ride. Check out the website and package for
details, and perhaps you can make it happen for next year.. have Alexis
Park and some other local businesses sponsor it. May even give you some
suite naming ideas.

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/menu.htm

Dave

Kyle Boatright
March 10th 06, 02:34 AM
"Dave" > wrote in message

> Kyle Boatright wrote:
>>
>> If you'd like to look at an air-to-air picture of the Liberty Bell over
>> Lake
>> Allatoona (Just north of Atlanta), do this link and you'll see the best
>> one
>> I made at about 5:00 or so on Saturday. Probably the flight immediately
>> before yours.
>>
>> http://www.vansairforce.net/
>>
>> If you click on the picture, it'll expand to a screen filling size. If
>> you're *really* interested, send me a note outside the newsgroup and I'll
>> send you 3 or 4 of the best pic's. Note, the files are 3-4 mp...
>>
>> KB
>

> OMG, Kyle!
>
> This is just too good! Thanks a mil, and *yes* I'm really interested.
>
> I read your text, and get this...First, our flight was late Sunday.
> Saturday I was at Red Top making charcoal (big fire, sealed 55 gal
> drums, etc) to fuel our iron bloomery for the upcoming Hills of Iron
> event. All day I watched Liberty pass by in the near distance and return
> at fairly regular intervals. Eye and ear candy all day long.
>
> Later in the afternoon (and I'm trying to remember this carefully)
> Liberty was chugging along not far south of my position (about 1/4-3/8
> mile SE of Bethany Bridge), headed back to McCollum apparently,
> northwest of Acworth and I heard a second, smaller plane behind her and
> closer to my position. I looked and saw the smaller plane approaching
> her quickly from behind and thought how cool to be a ga pilot and spot
> that baby on a Saturday cruise. The smaller plane approached from the
> NW say, and swung behind her and to my memory made a *tight* right turn.
> One of them thar Acarobatic airyplanes, I thought to myself. I may have
> watched a bit longer, I'm not sure. Wish I could remember more...
>
> Hm! Betcha that was you! Way too cool!
>
> FIL will love the pic!
>
> ~Dave

Yep, that was me. Seems like this internet thing has reduced the "7 degrees
of separation" in life to about 2.5 degrees of separation.

KB

Montblack
March 10th 06, 10:26 PM
("gatt" wrote)
> It kills me that some fatass volunteer just glazes over and looks at me
> when I ask if they've put the site together in the ball turret, etc.

"Hey!"

Montblack
Fatass volunteer :-)
http://www.goldenwingsmuseum.com/Aircraft.html
....and Aluminum Overcast visit.
....and Collings Foundation visit.
....and National Air Tour visit
....and Aviation Days Open House/Fly-In
....and Linbergh Foundation event
....and etc, etc, etc volunteering.

Again, "Hey!" <g>

Jay Honeck
March 10th 06, 11:08 PM
> "Hey!"

In case you missed them, here are the pix from Dave's flight:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/b-17_liberty_belle.htm
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA