PDA

View Full Version : More on Airplane giveaways

Greg Farris
March 10th 06, 04:53 PM
In my recent AOPA renewal notice, they mentioned the annual sweepstakes,
stating that the odds are "much better than the state lotteries that
millions participate in . . ."

That made me wonder - do people join AOPA, even non-pilots, just for the
sweepstakes? True, a one-in 500,000 (or whatever it is) chance of winning
$200,000 is much better than a state lottery. Certainly they have every
interest in increasing their membership as much as possible - but do
they have any obligation in this respect?

They lobby on behalf of pilots, owners and users - but what if 1/3 of
their members are just lottery players? This said, I've never seen a
non-pilot win one of the planes.

GF

Bob Noel
March 10th 06, 06:16 PM
In article >, Greg Farris >
wrote:

> They lobby on behalf of pilots, owners and users - but what if 1/3 of
> their members are just lottery players? This said, I've never seen a
> non-pilot win one of the planes.

check out the rules for winning.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

NW_PILOT
March 10th 06, 06:34 PM
"Greg Farris" > wrote in message
> In my recent AOPA renewal notice, they mentioned the annual sweepstakes,
> stating that the odds are "much better than the state lotteries that
> millions participate in . . ."
>
> That made me wonder - do people join AOPA, even non-pilots, just for the
> sweepstakes? True, a one-in 500,000 (or whatever it is) chance of winning
> $200,000 is much better than a state lottery. Certainly they have every
> interest in increasing their membership as much as possible - but do
> they have any obligation in this respect?
>
> They lobby on behalf of pilots, owners and users - but what if 1/3 of
> their members are just lottery players? This said, I've never seen a
> non-pilot win one of the planes.
>
> GF

It's a joke, No real lottery it's the suites that decide who will win!

John Huthmaker
March 10th 06, 07:05 PM
You have to be a pilot, or have a blood realative who is, to accept the
prize.

Also the odds are much less than 1 in 500,000. If you read how the entries
work, there are several ways of getting them. 1 for paying dues, 2 for
getting a new member, 2 for CFI joining up students, etc, etc. My guess is
the odds are probably around 1 in 3,000,000.

John

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com
"Greg Farris" > wrote in message
> In my recent AOPA renewal notice, they mentioned the annual sweepstakes,
> stating that the odds are "much better than the state lotteries that
> millions participate in . . ."
>
> That made me wonder - do people join AOPA, even non-pilots, just for the
> sweepstakes? True, a one-in 500,000 (or whatever it is) chance of winning
> $200,000 is much better than a state lottery. Certainly they have every
> interest in increasing their membership as much as possible - but do
> they have any obligation in this respect?
>
> They lobby on behalf of pilots, owners and users - but what if 1/3 of
> their members are just lottery players? This said, I've never seen a
> non-pilot win one of the planes.
>
> GF

John Huthmaker
March 10th 06, 07:06 PM
Yes, Im a total dork and read the fine print. :)

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com
"John Huthmaker" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> You have to be a pilot, or have a blood realative who is, to accept the
> prize.
>
> Also the odds are much less than 1 in 500,000. If you read how the
> entries work, there are several ways of getting them. 1 for paying dues,
> 2 for getting a new member, 2 for CFI joining up students, etc, etc. My
> guess is the odds are probably around 1 in 3,000,000.
>
> John
>
> --
> John Huthmaker
> PPL-SEL P-28-161
>
> http://www.cogentnetworking.com
> "Greg Farris" > wrote in message
>> In my recent AOPA renewal notice, they mentioned the annual sweepstakes,
>> stating that the odds are "much better than the state lotteries that
>> millions participate in . . ."
>>
>> That made me wonder - do people join AOPA, even non-pilots, just for the
>> sweepstakes? True, a one-in 500,000 (or whatever it is) chance of winning
>> $200,000 is much better than a state lottery. Certainly they have every
>> interest in increasing their membership as much as possible - but do
>> they have any obligation in this respect?
>>
>> They lobby on behalf of pilots, owners and users - but what if 1/3 of
>> their members are just lottery players? This said, I've never seen a
>> non-pilot win one of the planes.
>>
>> GF

Greg Farris
March 10th 06, 07:36 PM
In article et>,
says...

>Yes, Im a total dork and read the fine print. :)

Nah - you just want the airplane!
How many new members have you sponsored? :-)

Jim Macklin
March 11th 06, 08:20 AM
Many years ago, Rockwell gave away a Commander 112 with a
drawing. The guy who won sent in about 100,000 entries at a
cost of several thousand dollars in postage, envelopes and a
very tired hand from hand doing each entry. That's was
within the rules, no mechanical copies, but no limit on
entries either.

I sent in 10 and thought I was being a cheater.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Greg Farris" > wrote in message
| In article
et>,
| says...
| >

| >Yes, Im a total dork and read the fine print. :)
| >
| Nah - you just want the airplane!
| How many new members have you sponsored? :-)

Google