PDA

View Full Version : Lightspeed 303G Trade Up

Kevin Black
March 11th 06, 01:25 AM
Hi,

I have a set of Lightspeed 25XLs that have worked fine (after numerous
problems with a 20XL). I've probably only done 20 hours in them (thanks to
a 3 year 'financial' lay off from flying). I'm now current again and flying
some. I am very seriously considering the 303G upgrade.

What are peoples experiences with the 303G - positive and negative? Do you
think the upgrade is worthwhile, at US$200 I think it is, but hey - no one
got rich on my financial decisions. I read one PIREP on the 303G and the
big downer was the battery box cover falling off. Apparantly Lightspeed
have a $10 cover to stop this happening (I would have though it would be a
freebee if it corrects a known fault).

Is the 303G more robust than its prdecessors? Or is it the same beast with
a different set of electronics? Looking at the picture of both the 25XL and
303G it's hard to tell them apart (other than the colour).

Thanks,
kevin

NW_PILOT
March 11th 06, 02:14 AM
20/3G is the bbest way to go for your money I tried both could not justify
the extra bones for the 30/3G.
..

"Kevin Black" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a set of Lightspeed 25XLs that have worked fine (after numerous
> problems with a 20XL). I've probably only done 20 hours in them (thanks
> a 3 year 'financial' lay off from flying). I'm now current again and
flying
> some. I am very seriously considering the 303G upgrade.
>
> What are peoples experiences with the 303G - positive and negative? Do
you
> think the upgrade is worthwhile, at US$200 I think it is, but hey - no one
> got rich on my financial decisions. I read one PIREP on the 303G and the
> big downer was the battery box cover falling off. Apparantly Lightspeed
> have a $10 cover to stop this happening (I would have though it would be a
> freebee if it corrects a known fault).
>
> Is the 303G more robust than its prdecessors? Or is it the same beast
with
> a different set of electronics? Looking at the picture of both the 25XL
and
> 303G it's hard to tell them apart (other than the colour).
>
> Thanks,
> kevin

Kevin Black
March 11th 06, 03:19 AM
NW_PILOT,

Thanks, and that may be so, but the Lightspeed trade-up program is US$200
25XL to 303G, so 303G it is.

Cheers,
Kevin

"NW_PILOT" > wrote in message
. ..
> 20/3G is the bbest way to go for your money I tried both could not justify
> the extra bones for the 30/3G.
> .
>
> "Kevin Black" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a set of Lightspeed 25XLs that have worked fine (after numerous
>> problems with a 20XL). I've probably only done 20 hours in them (thanks
>> a 3 year 'financial' lay off from flying). I'm now current again and
> flying
>> some. I am very seriously considering the 303G upgrade.
>>
>> What are peoples experiences with the 303G - positive and negative? Do
> you
>> think the upgrade is worthwhile, at US$200 I think it is, but hey - no
>> one
>> got rich on my financial decisions. I read one PIREP on the 303G and the
>> big downer was the battery box cover falling off. Apparantly Lightspeed
>> have a $10 cover to stop this happening (I would have though it would be
>> freebee if it corrects a known fault).
>>
>> Is the 303G more robust than its prdecessors? Or is it the same beast
> with
>> a different set of electronics? Looking at the picture of both the 25XL
> and
>> 303G it's hard to tell them apart (other than the colour).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> kevin

Viperdoc
March 11th 06, 04:18 AM
I have a pair of 303g headsets, and even compared them inflight to a set of
Bose X. Although the Bose were a lot less bulky, the Lightspeed sound to me
was a lot more clear. The difference was not worth the extra money for the
Bose.

JN

Bob Fry
March 12th 06, 04:08 AM
I did just that trade-up a year ago or so, and did not regret the
cost. I get occasional ANR buzzing until the earcups warm to my
noggin, like the 25XLs but less often, and haven't had mechanical
problems. I've used the audio and cell phone input a few times.

Jay Honeck
March 12th 06, 10:55 AM
> What are peoples experiences with the 303G - positive and negative? Do
> you think the upgrade is worthwhile, at US$200 I think it is, but hey - no
> one got rich on my financial decisions. I read one PIREP on the 303G and
> the big downer was the battery box cover falling off. Apparantly
> Lightspeed have a $10 cover to stop this happening (I would have though it
> would be a freebee if it corrects a known fault).

I've got the Twenty 3Gs, after having owned all models, starting with the
flimsy early models. (I, too, couldn't hear much difference between the
Twenty and Thirty 3Gs, so I opted to save the money.)

The 3G series has solved most of their durability problems. We DID break an
ear stirrup on one, but that was my kids fault, methinks. Otherwise, they
have been extremely robust, compared to the old ones (like your 25s) that
would simply break while hanging on the yoke between flights.

You won't regret the upgrade.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Kevin Black
March 13th 06, 08:26 AM
Rob, Jay,

Thanks, the info on durability was where I was heading. I had a set of 20XLs
replaced 3 times in less than 10 hours- finally got the 25XLs in lieu at no
additional charge - both Lightspeed and I were getting rather frustrated (No
ANR, ANR in one ear only, battery drain ever 10 hours whether on or off).
Having the ANR go pzzzttt on short final focussed the attention - "what
the......." And sending headsets between US and OZ lost its appeal rather
quickly although Lightspeed support was excellent.

The 25XLs have been OK, but I thought I'd take the opportunity to get a more
robust headset at a reasonable price. I'm glad to see the new and improved
version is indeed new and improved.

Thanks,

Kevin

"Kevin Black" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a set of Lightspeed 25XLs that have worked fine (after numerous
> problems with a 20XL). I've probably only done 20 hours in them (thanks
> to a 3 year 'financial' lay off from flying). I'm now current again and
> flying some. I am very seriously considering the 303G upgrade.
>
> What are peoples experiences with the 303G - positive and negative? Do
> you think the upgrade is worthwhile, at US$200 I think it is, but hey - no
> one got rich on my financial decisions. I read one PIREP on the 303G and
> the big downer was the battery box cover falling off. Apparantly
> Lightspeed have a $10 cover to stop this happening (I would have though it
> would be a freebee if it corrects a known fault).
>
> Is the 303G more robust than its prdecessors? Or is it the same beast
> with a different set of electronics? Looking at the picture of both the
> 25XL and 303G it's hard to tell them apart (other than the colour).
>
> Thanks,
> kevin

Ron Natalie
March 13th 06, 01:05 PM
Kevin Black wrote:

> What are peoples experiences with the 303G - positive and negative? Do you
> think the upgrade is worthwhile, at US$200 I think it is, but hey - no one
> got rich on my financial decisions. I read one PIREP on the 303G and the
> big downer was the battery box cover falling off. Apparantly Lightspeed
> have a $10 cover to stop this happening (I would have though it would be a
> freebee if it corrects a known fault).

Margy's 20K's broke and while Lightspeed did send me the part for free
(they offered to fix it for me, but told me it would be faster and
easier if I did it myself, it wasn't hard), I bought her a Thirty 3g
anyhow (we kept the repaired 20K's for the back seat). After using
hers for a while I went out and got a pair for myself (my 25XL's are
now also back seat headphones).

They're a great improvement over the already nifty 25XL's. I've not
had any problem with the battery cover. The only problem I have is
that the convenient place for me to clip the battery box is a place
where I tend to bump it with my leg and so I'll typically disable the
ANC in flight. This really isn't a design issue.

The only thing I noticed is I had a dead ear once after some extended
inactivity, but exercising the volume control seems to have repaired
it. I don't know if it was a dirty pot or just that the battery
was on the verge of dying (which it did a couple of flights later).
It hasn't reappeared.

Kevin Black
March 13th 06, 01:24 PM
Ron,

Thanks, the battery cover issue was from a PIREP I found somewhere on the
net. Not a big issue with me. My original 20XLs were very error prone. I
haven't had a problem with the 25XLs (not used much), however if the 303Gs
are much better I think it's $200 well spent.

I've had enough positive feedback (and more importantly, no negative
feedback) to suggest it's the way to go.

BTW, they are selling 303Gs here in OZ for AUD$1,000 - I doubt whether I
could afford to buy a set from a local dealer.

Cheers,
kevin

"Ron Natalie" > wrote in message
m...
> Kevin Black wrote:
>
>> What are peoples experiences with the 303G - positive and negative? Do
>> you think the upgrade is worthwhile, at US$200 I think it is, but hey -
>> no one got rich on my financial decisions. I read one PIREP on the 303G
>> and the big downer was the battery box cover falling off. Apparantly
>> Lightspeed have a $10 cover to stop this happening (I would have though
>> it would be a freebee if it corrects a known fault).
>>

> Margy's 20K's broke and while Lightspeed did send me the part for free
> (they offered to fix it for me, but told me it would be faster and easier
> if I did it myself, it wasn't hard), I bought her a Thirty 3g
> anyhow (we kept the repaired 20K's for the back seat). After using
> hers for a while I went out and got a pair for myself (my 25XL's are
> now also back seat headphones).
>
> They're a great improvement over the already nifty 25XL's. I've not
> had any problem with the battery cover. The only problem I have is
> that the convenient place for me to clip the battery box is a place
> where I tend to bump it with my leg and so I'll typically disable the
> ANC in flight. This really isn't a design issue.
>
> The only thing I noticed is I had a dead ear once after some extended
> inactivity, but exercising the volume control seems to have repaired
> it. I don't know if it was a dirty pot or just that the battery
> was on the verge of dying (which it did a couple of flights later).
> It hasn't reappeared.

Kevin Black
March 16th 06, 09:32 AM
Bob,

Thanks, Your positive comments and the lack of ngative commment particularly
WRT durability have convinced me it's the way to go. I sent my (not too
much used) 25XLs via airmail today. Now just to wait for the return,
OZ-USA-OZ. Commercial flights take about 18 hours, but airmail takes 5-7
days - go figure, the joys of living in the antipodes:)

Thanks,
Kevin

"Bob Fry" > wrote in message
>I did just that trade-up a year ago or so, and did not regret the
> cost. I get occasional ANR buzzing until the earcups warm to my
> noggin, like the 25XLs but less often, and haven't had mechanical
> problems. I've used the audio and cell phone input a few times.

Google