PDA

View Full Version : Re: now, =this= is travel by airline ...

Martin Hotze
March 11th 06, 06:25 PM
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:07:42 +0100, Martin Hotze wrote:

><http://www.hotze.priv.at/temp/Lynx-Aerolineas.wmv>
>[.wmv-file, about 2MB size, only temp. available]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

after 196 downloads I removed the file. Hope you enjoyed it.

#m
--
[...] Then I drove home with one eye glued to the rearview mirror.
Didnšt see anything suspicious but if I turn up missing one day,

Jay Honeck
March 12th 06, 02:06 AM
> after 196 downloads I removed the file.

Why?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Martin Hotze
March 12th 06, 06:40 AM
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 02:06:59 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

>> after 196 downloads I removed the file.
>
>Why?

first: 2MB x 196 is 392MB total. Just for fun. I'd like to preserve
bandwidth as long as I can.

second: I already 'stole' the movie and redistributed it, but I won't
present copyright protected material permanently on my (private) website
like others do this on their company website.

but I have one pic specially for you, Jay:
<http://www.bofh.priv.at/halde/1025_GodXBlessXUSA.jpg>

#m
--
[...] Then I drove home with one eye glued to the rearview mirror.
Didnšt see anything suspicious but if I turn up missing one day,
just forward my mail to General Delivery, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
<http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7624.shtml>

Martin Hotze
March 12th 06, 10:48 AM
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 10:40:08 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

>> but I have one pic specially for you, Jay:
>> <http://www.bofh.priv.at/halde/1025_GodXBlessXUSA.jpg>
>
>Cute.

??

>;-)

??

>That doctored pic is obviously over the top,

I expect this picture beeing closer to the truth than not.
I can't say if this pic is a fake or not.

> but I'd be glad if our teachers
>showed at least SOME patriotism.

you call =this= patriotism? weired. very weired. but it would fit my
picture.

>Here in way-out-in-Left-field Iowa City, a
>group of teachers is trying to keep all military recruiters out of the
>schools, for fear of the "harm" may do.

in other circumstances I'd say 'bring them on' to discuss a thing or two.
But in days like these ... I don't think that it'd be a wise idea ...

#m
--
[...] Then I drove home with one eye glued to the rearview mirror.
Didnšt see anything suspicious but if I turn up missing one day,
just forward my mail to General Delivery, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
<http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_7624.shtml>

Dylan Smith
March 14th 06, 04:15 PM
On 2006-03-12, Jay Honeck > wrote:
> showed at least SOME patriotism. Here in way-out-in-Left-field Iowa City, a
> group of teachers is trying to keep all military recruiters out of the
> schools, for fear of the "harm" may do.

Well, in my school it was COMPULSORY to be in the CCF (Combined Cadet
Force, aka playing soldiers) for a year as a 14 year old (optionally,
you could stay on in the CCF). I'm still kicking myself that I didn't
join the RAF section - when I did it, I wanted to do the minimum
required because it didn't involve any computers. I didn't actually
realise the RAF section got to fly planes (I knew they got taught the
theory). Had I have known I'd have joined the RAF section and stayed in
until I left school (or maybe even joined up).

But I did get to learn how to use the Lee Enfield .303 rifle, ancient by
the time we had them (and we were the last year to get them) but it was
accurate, powerful and loud.

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Jim Macklin
March 14th 06, 08:49 PM
The .303 British rifle was designed by an American, named
Lee and the British army adopted and it before WWI. A very
good rifle for battle.

some support

http://oolite-linux.berlios.de
| Frontier Elite Universe: http://www.alioth.net

Dylan Smith
March 15th 06, 01:07 PM
On 2006-03-14, Jim Macklin <p51mustang> wrote:
> The .303 British rifle was designed by an American, named
> Lee and the British army adopted and it before WWI. A very
> good rifle for battle.

With practise, reputedly WWI soldiers could make it seem like machine
gun fire. And this was a bolt action rifle.

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Jim Macklin
March 15th 06, 01:51 PM
Not quite that fast, the magazine only held 10 rounds. But
a train soldier fired from the shoulder, only taking the
rifle down for reloading the magazine from the stripper
clip. It was possible to fire perhaps 30 rounds in a minute
with combat accuracy.

The U.S. Army doctrine was to fire well aimed shots, not
heavy fire suppression. The 30/40 Krag was standard issue
at the time of the Spanish-American War, but many units went
into combat using 1873 black powder single shot trapdoor
Springfield rifles.

The Krag and the 1903 Springfield rifle had a magazine
disconnector or cutoff so the trooper could load the
magazine and hold it in "reserve" and load the rifle as a
single shot. Of course that bit is silly Army training was
ignored if the soldier lived through his first day of
combat.

some support

"Dylan Smith" > wrote in message
| On 2006-03-14, Jim Macklin <p51mustang> wrote:
| > The .303 British rifle was designed by an American,
named
| > Lee and the British army adopted and it before WWI. A
very
| > good rifle for battle.
|
| With practise, reputedly WWI soldiers could make it seem
like machine
| gun fire. And this was a bolt action rifle.
|
| --
| Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
| Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
| Oolite-Linux: an Elite tribute: