PDA

View Full Version : Many "firsts" today - LONG

Jase Vanover
March 12th 06, 03:37 AM
Had one of the most fulfilling flying days today in my young flying history,
and wanted to share...

For some time, I've been wanting to pick up my night rating, and I've also
been intrigued with flying a complex aircraft (I'm a low time PPSEL with
less than a year since getting my license). The instructor that coached me
through my private suggested that we could take the Arrow from Montreal to
New York, log some instrument time that would be good for my night rating,
plus put in a start for the hours needed to be qualified in the
retract/variable pitch PA-28 so they would rent it to me solo (10 hrs dual
required per their policy). After a month or two of humming and hawing, I
booked a week ago to head out this morning. I watched the weather all
frickin' week. I haven't been like this since early in my training... when
it was like crack to me.

I showed up at the airport, a bit late because I forgot my passport and had
to turn around and go home for it. I'm not used to flying across
international borders. The plan was to fly CSS3 (Cedars... just West of
Montreal) -> KBTV (Burlington, VT) and stop for customs. Then KBTV -> KISP
(Macarthur on Long Island, NY), where we'd park and go out for lunch with my
Uncle / Aunt and family who I haven't seen in about three years. We'd then
fly KISP -> CYUL (Montreal) and pass customs, and then a quick jaunt back to
CSS3.

Easy and quick trip to Burlington. Customs guy was good natured, and we
weren't there very long. We were VFR to this point, but wanted to file IFR
to KISP. 1-800-WXBRIEF didn't work, and after 10 minutes on hold with the
local FBO looking for a local number for FSS didn't work out, we finally
fired up and filed over the radio (I'm not IFR rated, and all of this was
new to me, but was great experience). We had filed for 8000'. When we left
Burlington, ceilings were about 6000' with tops 7500'. I got to fly in real
IMC for the first time, but the most spectacular thing was breaking out at
about 7500 and then skimming along only 500 above the tops. It cleared up
soon after, but was an incredible sight while it lasted.

We were making approx 150 kts with a tailwind, so the trip down was pretty
quick. Things were very busy when we got to Long Island, and it was a trick
to get radio calls in between the chatter. A good landing, parked, and a
great time to catch up with my relatives.

I made the call to file the IFR plan back to Montreal. It was a "quick
file" recorded message. Sure enough, a half hour later when we called to
activate it, they had no record of it. Ten or fifteen later, we had it all
sorted out. It was an uneventful, and enjoyable/instructive trip back
(though notably longer with the wind now against us). I logged a big chunk
of time under the hood, but also saw some great scenery, including the red
sun visibly 'moving' below the horizon just as we approached Montreal. The
landing at Dorval / Pierre Elliot Trudeau on the long 24L that I have so
often flown in on commercial airlines was a thrill in it's own right. We
cleared customs, and I had my first night flight... a short hop from Dorval
to Cedars, which was without incident. By the time we landed at Cedars, I
had the PA-28 pretty much figured out, and made a beautiful nose high
greaser landing to end the adventure.

So, the tally of firsts includes:
- First international flight
- First complex aircraft flight
- First real IMC
- First IFR filed and flown
- First night flight

What a great day. It's would be hard to script these things. Thanks for
reading / listening.

March 12th 06, 04:36 AM
Jase wrote"

So, the tally of firsts includes:
- First international flight
- First complex aircraft flight
- First real IMC
- First IFR filed and flown
- First night flight

What a great day. It's would be hard to script these things

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Congrats to you. Did ya really think the "quick file" would work??? <G>

Jase Vanover
March 12th 06, 04:58 AM
Ya know... the hardest part about being a newbie is that you don't know when
to call bull****. A chance to learn is valuable.

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
>
> Congrats to you. Did ya really think the "quick file" would work??? <G>

Jay Honeck
March 12th 06, 10:42 AM
> Had one of the most fulfilling flying days today in my young flying
> history, and wanted to share...

And thanks for sharing it!
--
Jay Honeck