PDA

View Full Version : Tech: Aluminum Forming Question

Scott Rodriguez
March 14th 06, 03:41 PM
Can anyone tell me how to form the internally rolled edge on the turtledeck
access panel seen here?

http://www.steenaero.com/Files/ProjectLog/projectlog_00071_01385_main.jpg

Thanks!

Scott

Drew Dalgleish
March 14th 06, 04:08 PM
Well it could be a stamped part or you can make a flange by hand using
a flange roller tool witch is basically a peice of flat steel with 2
rollers attached the metal goes between the rollers and you work aroud
the opening bending it a little each time. I haven't used one but I
have made not quite as nice flanges using a peice of wooden dowel with
a slit cut in the end to bend a flange a little at a time.

>Can anyone tell me how to form the internally rolled edge on the turtledeck
>access panel seen here?
>
>http://www.steenaero.com/Files/ProjectLog/projectlog_00071_01385_main.jpg
>
>Thanks!
>
>Scott

Orval Fairbairn
March 14th 06, 04:30 PM
In article >,
(Drew Dalgleish) wrote:

> Well it could be a stamped part or you can make a flange by hand using
> a flange roller tool witch is basically a peice of flat steel with 2
> rollers attached the metal goes between the rollers and you work aroud
> the opening bending it a little each time. I haven't used one but I
> have made not quite as nice flanges using a peice of wooden dowel with
> a slit cut in the end to bend a flange a little at a time.
>
> >Can anyone tell me how to form the internally rolled edge on the turtledeck
> >access panel seen here?
> >
> >http://www.steenaero.com/Files/ProjectLog/projectlog_00071_01385_main.jpg
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >Scott

Another method is to make a form block and carefully hammer it to shape.
Heavy solder strips make good forming slappers, too.

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe
March 14th 06, 11:09 PM
"Scott Rodriguez" > wrote in message
.. .
> Can anyone tell me how to form the internally rolled edge on the
> turtledeck
> access panel seen here?
>
> http://www.steenaero.com/Files/ProjectLog/projectlog_00071_01385_main.jpg
>
> Thanks!
>
> Scott

Form blocks would work. You need two, one underneath with the appropriate
radius and one on top to hold it in place. Work it down with at hammer.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

JKimmel
March 15th 06, 12:44 AM
Scott Rodriguez wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to form the internally rolled edge on the turtledeck
> access panel seen here?
>
> http://www.steenaero.com/Files/ProjectLog/projectlog_00071_01385_main.jpg
>
> Thanks!
>
> Scott

Make a formblock, form over the block. The link shows steps for forming
a part using a formblock. These parts were formed soft then heat treated.

http://www.eaa292.org/noon_patrol/jan_00.html

--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.

J.Kahn
March 15th 06, 04:42 AM
Scott Rodriguez wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to form the internally rolled edge on the turtledeck
> access panel seen here?
>
> http://www.steenaero.com/Files/ProjectLog/projectlog_00071_01385_main.jpg
>
> Thanks!
>
> Scott

That's no different that a flanged lightening hole in a rib except the
angle is 90 deg. It's just a metal stretching operation. You make a
form block and backup block with the required bend radius and angle, and
hammer down with a rubber mallet or you can use something like a small
rolling pin to work the flange down at little at a time (I made a
circular hole flanging tool that uses a double width roller bearing
mounted at an angle in a fly cutter. Mounted in a drill press and
turned by hand, it rolls the flange down like a can opener. You could
do the same thing freehand with a rolling pin.)

John

Google