PDA

View Full Version : V Speeds

March 15th 06, 02:21 AM
VNO is Maximum Structural Cruising Speed per definition in CFR FAR Part
1. If you were to ask what is VNO? Why do some Pilots constantly
believe its Normal Operation Speed. The Green arc is the normal
operation. The yellow arc is cautionary range. The white arc is the
range in which we can use flaps. The top of the white is VFE. The
bottom of the white arc is VS0. Just like the Bottom of the green is
VS1. Of course VNE never-exceed speed is the tiny red arc and we
shouldn't go there!

So tell me what is the definition of VNO?

Cjamairway

Jim Macklin
March 15th 06, 02:26 AM
VA means design maneuvering speed.

VB means design speed for maximum gust intensity.

VC means design cruising speed.

VD means design diving speed.

VDF/MDF means demonstrated flight diving speed.

VEF means the speed at which the critical engine is assumed
to fail during takeoff.

VF means design flap speed.

VFC/MFC means maximum speed for stability characteristics.

VFE means maximum flap extended speed.

VFTO means final takeoff speed.

VH means maximum speed in level flight with maximum
continuous power.

VLE means maximum landing gear extended speed.

VLO means maximum landing gear operating speed.

VLOF means lift-off speed.

VMC means minimum control speed with the critical engine
inoperative.

VMO/MMO means maximum operating limit speed.

VMU means minimum unstick speed.

VNE means never-exceed speed.

VNO means maximum structural cruising speed.

VR means rotation speed.

VREF means reference landing speed.

VS means the stalling speed or the minimum steady flight
speed at which the airplane is controllable.

VS0 means the stalling speed or the minimum steady flight
speed in the landing configuration.

VS1 means the stalling speed or the minimum steady flight
speed obtained in a specific configuration.

VSR means reference stall speed.

VSRO means reference stall speed in the landing
configuration.

VSR1 means reference stall speed in a specific
configuration.

VSW means speed at which onset of natural or artificial
stall warning occurs.

VTOSS means takeoff safety speed for Category A rotorcraft.

VX means speed for best angle of climb.

VY means speed for best rate of climb.

V1 means the maximum speed in the takeoff at which the pilot
must take the first action (e.g., apply brakes, reduce
thrust, deploy speed brakes) to stop the airplane within the
accelerate-stop distance. V1 also means the minimum speed in
the takeoff, following a failure of the critical engine at
VEF, at which the pilot can continue the takeoff and achieve
the required height above the takeoff surface within the
takeoff distance.

V2 means takeoff safety speed.

V2min means minimum takeoff safety speed.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
| VNO is Maximum Structural Cruising Speed per definition in
CFR FAR Part
| 1. If you were to ask what is VNO? Why do some Pilots
constantly
| believe its Normal Operation Speed. The Green arc is the
normal
| operation. The yellow arc is cautionary range. The white
arc is the
| range in which we can use flaps. The top of the white is
VFE. The
| bottom of the white arc is VS0. Just like the Bottom of
the green is
| VS1. Of course VNE never-exceed speed is the tiny red arc
and we
| shouldn't go there!
|
| So tell me what is the definition of VNO?
|
| Cjamairway

Jose
March 15th 06, 03:35 AM
> VNO means maximum structural cruising speed.

Thanks... now riddle me this. Why do they call it VNO and not VSC? The
others have initials that recall their definitions, why not this?

Jose

Icebound
March 15th 06, 04:06 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> VNO is Maximum Structural Cruising Speed per definition in CFR FAR Part
.... snip...

> Of course VNE never-exceed speed is the tiny red arc and we
> shouldn't go there!

That would be a red *line*, not a tiny red arc at all.

> So tell me what is the definition of VNO?

The first line of your post is the definition; top of green arc is where it
is.

nooneimportant
March 15th 06, 08:16 AM
> Just like the Bottom of the green is VS1.

Big (yet common) misconception there.... VS1 is simply the stall speed in a
"Specified" condition. In MOST aircraft this is stall in a clean
configuration, but the definition of VS1 does not require it to be a stall
speed in the "Clean" configuration. It is entirely possible that the POH
may define VS1 as a stall with perhaps 10 deg flaps.... perhaps NEGATIVE
flaps (some aircraft can do that ya know for more efficient cruising),
perhaps VS1 can be clean with gear extended.... or it can be clean with gear
retracted.... whatever the manufactor specifies.

Still have no idea why structural crusing speed is shortened to Vno "no"
doesn't seem like an it fits.. unlike NE and FE and so forth. Kind of like
Va... how does "a" represent manuevering.... but it does. One of those
aviation things... if it all made sense it wouldn't be worth doing!
Perhaps they say "Normal Operating" because it reminds them where they
"Normally Operate" I've never flown a plane that cruises in the yellow
arc.... the ONLY time I've seen the yellow arc has been in descents... Fly
mainly Piper Archer/Arrow/Seminole... have about sixty hours in a C-172.
Not exactly speed deamons.

Jim Macklin
March 15th 06, 08:49 AM
If Vc was used a Viet Nam vet would kill it, wait Vc is
used.

Vno is Italian wine

Vd is either diving speed or a disease.

"nooneimportant" > wrote in message

| > Just like the Bottom of the green is VS1.
|
| Big (yet common) misconception there.... VS1 is simply the
stall speed in a
| "Specified" condition. In MOST aircraft this is stall in
a clean
| configuration, but the definition of VS1 does not require
it to be a stall
| speed in the "Clean" configuration. It is entirely
possible that the POH
| may define VS1 as a stall with perhaps 10 deg flaps....
perhaps NEGATIVE
| flaps (some aircraft can do that ya know for more
efficient cruising),
| perhaps VS1 can be clean with gear extended.... or it can
be clean with gear
| retracted.... whatever the manufactor specifies.
|

| Still have no idea why structural crusing speed is
shortened to Vno "no"
| doesn't seem like an it fits.. unlike NE and FE and so
forth. Kind of like
| Va... how does "a" represent manuevering.... but it does.
One of those
| aviation things... if it all made sense it wouldn't be
worth doing!
| Perhaps they say "Normal Operating" because it reminds
them where they
| "Normally Operate" I've never flown a plane that cruises
in the yellow
| arc.... the ONLY time I've seen the yellow arc has been in
descents... Fly
| mainly Piper Archer/Arrow/Seminole... have about sixty
hours in a C-172.
| Not exactly speed deamons.

March 15th 06, 03:18 PM
VS1 is the stall speed in the landing configuration based on 1.wings
level 2. 1G 3. max gross weight 4. power to idle with no flaps. It's
the bottom of the green.

If we were to look at Vso it represents the stall speed in the landing
configuration based on 1. wings level 2.1G 3. max gross weight 4. power
to idle with full flaps. It's the bottom of the white.

otherwise yes your correct.

Cjamairway

March 15th 06, 03:32 PM
There are a lot of things in aviation that go against our normal
instincts or reactions. Like when you first performed an emergency
procedure your instructor reduced the power to idle. I bet your first
reaction was to lower the nose. Now you know to trade potential engergy
for kinetic and raise the nose, climb to bleed the airspeed off to
catch your best glide speed. Its a trade off.

So here is what happens with VNO. People like acronyms. So those who
were taught that VNO is Normal operation speed needed words that
matched VNO. For those of us who are anal retentive and yes I am one of
those people because I must follow strict interpretation of regulations
because I am required to do so, we'll always know that VNO is Maximum
structural cruising speed. Look in FAR part 1 under definitions.

March 15th 06, 03:34 PM
Your right its not a red arc its a line that defines where not to go.

Cjamairway

March 15th 06, 04:06 PM
Kershner says Vno is the maximum structural cruising speed,
the maximum indicated airspeed where no structural damage would occur
in moderate vertical gust conditions. By implication, then, cruising
above this would be safe enough in smooth air. There are airplanes that
can easily cruise in the yellow arc.
Now we just need a definition of "moderate gust
conditions."

Dan

Neil Gould
March 15th 06, 05:01 PM
Recently, > posted:

> So here is what happens with VNO. People like acronyms. So those who
> were taught that VNO is Normal operation speed needed words that
> matched VNO. For those of us who are anal retentive and yes I am one
> of those people because I must follow strict interpretation of
> regulations because I am required to do so, we'll always know that
> VNO is Maximum structural cruising speed. Look in FAR part 1 under
> definitions.

So... your response to Jose's riddle is that "it's VNO because they called
it VNO"?

I would think that the "anal retentive" response would actually supply an
answer to how that acronym was derived, since that was the question that
was asked. We all know that we just have to memorize those things that
make no logical sense. ;-)

Neil

Marco Leon
March 15th 06, 05:13 PM
"Neil Gould" > wrote in message
m...
> So... your response to Jose's riddle is that "it's VNO because they called
> it VNO"?
>
> I would think that the "anal retentive" response would actually supply an
> answer to how that acronym was derived, since that was the question that
> was asked. We all know that we just have to memorize those things that
> make no logical sense. ;-)

If there is no practical explanation, then it could be argued that it's just
"trivia."

Marco

http://www.usenet.com

alexy
March 15th 06, 06:45 PM
"Neil Gould" > wrote:

>Recently, > posted:
>
>> So here is what happens with VNO. People like acronyms. So those who
>> were taught that VNO is Normal operation speed needed words that
>> matched VNO. For those of us who are anal retentive and yes I am one
>> of those people because I must follow strict interpretation of
>> regulations because I am required to do so, we'll always know that
>> VNO is Maximum structural cruising speed. Look in FAR part 1 under
>> definitions.
>>
>So... your response to Jose's riddle is that "it's VNO because they called
>it VNO"?
>
>I would think that the "anal retentive" response would actually supply an
>answer to how that acronym was derived, since that was the question that
>was asked. We all know that we just have to memorize those things that
>make no logical sense. ;-)

Actually, an "anal retentive" response would recognize that VNO is not
likely an acronym at all. It might be an abbreviation or
initialization, but not very likely an acronym. But then again, only
an "anal retentive" would notice! <g>

March 15th 06, 07:14 PM
Please indulge me here..

VA is where military vets get their benefits from, also a southern
state

VC were the guys in the black pajamas carrying Kalashnikovs

VD is what you end up with after buying that skanky chick too many
drinks

VH was a huge rock group from the 80's

VMU is the speed you rotate at to avoid the cow on the runway

V2 was a German rocket from WW2

I feel better now... Long day at work ya know...

Jose
March 15th 06, 08:16 PM
> Please indulge me here..
>
> VA is where military vets get their benefits from, also a southern
> state
>
> VC were the guys in the black pajamas carrying Kalashnikovs
>
> VD is what you end up with after buying that skanky chick too many
> drinks
>
> VH was a huge rock group from the 80's
>
> VMU is the speed you rotate at to avoid the cow on the runway
>
> V2 was a German rocket from WW2

.... and V8 is what you drink before a flight, when you can't have 151.

Jose

Tim Nunes
March 15th 06, 10:28 PM
It's much like "METAR", which stands for "Aviation Routine Weather
Report." How the hell, you might ask? In this case, i happen to know
that METAR was derived from some french words. As for Vno, I don't
know.

John Galban
March 15th 06, 10:41 PM
wrote:
> Your right its not a red arc its a line that defines where not to go.

You're both wrong. It's a small red light (I have a digital tach).
See where being anal retentive gets you?

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Jeff Shirton
March 15th 06, 10:47 PM
"Tim Nunes" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> It's much like "METAR", which stands for "Aviation Routine Weather
> Report." How the hell, you might ask? In this case, i happen to know
> that METAR was derived from some french words.

MET-A-R

MET-eorological
A-rea
R-eport.

Jeff Shirton (PP-ASEL out of CZBA)

alexy
March 15th 06, 10:48 PM
"Tim Nunes" > wrote:

>It's much like "METAR", which stands for "Aviation Routine Weather
>Report." How the hell, you might ask? In this case, i happen to know
>that METAR was derived from some french words.
According to wikipedia, "METAR stands for METeorological Aerodrome
Report"

Change Aerodrome to Airport and you have the English version! <g>

Jim Macklin
March 15th 06, 11:50 PM
VH1 is that former music network

> wrote in message
oups.com...
| Please indulge me here..
|
| VA is where military vets get their benefits from, also a
southern
| state
|
| VC were the guys in the black pajamas carrying
Kalashnikovs

| VD is what you end up with after buying that skanky chick
too many
| drinks
|
| VH was a huge rock group from the 80's
|
| VMU is the speed you rotate at to avoid the cow on the
runway

| V2 was a German rocket from WW2
|

| I feel better now... Long day at work ya know...

March 16th 06, 08:27 PM
You'll find an extensive listing of each V-speed's definition:

http://www.aviationist.com/vspeeds-form.php

wrote:
> VNO is Maximum Structural Cruising Speed per definition in CFR FAR Part
> 1. If you were to ask what is VNO? Why do some Pilots constantly
> believe its Normal Operation Speed. The Green arc is the normal
> operation. The yellow arc is cautionary range. The white arc is the
> range in which we can use flaps. The top of the white is VFE. The
> bottom of the white arc is VS0. Just like the Bottom of the green is
> VS1. Of course VNE never-exceed speed is the tiny red arc and we
> shouldn't go there!
>
> So tell me what is the definition of VNO?
>
> Cjamairway

Steve Foley
March 16th 06, 09:12 PM
Is that a towered or non-towered aerodrome?

"alexy" > wrote in message
> "Tim Nunes" > wrote:
>
> >It's much like "METAR", which stands for "Aviation Routine Weather
> >Report." How the hell, you might ask? In this case, i happen to know
> >that METAR was derived from some french words.
> According to wikipedia, "METAR stands for METeorological Aerodrome
> Report"
>
> Change Aerodrome to Airport and you have the English version! <g>
> --
> Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked
infrequently.

Rob
March 16th 06, 09:20 PM
wrote:
> ...I bet your first
> reaction was to lower the nose. Now you know to trade potential engergy
> for kinetic and raise the nose, climb to bleed the airspeed off to
> catch your best glide speed. Its a trade off.

You mean trade kinetic energy for potential.

-R

(Just being anal retentive.)

Google