PDA

View Full Version : Airspace on Sectional North of Boston

Robert Tenet
March 17th 06, 07:35 PM
Can anyone tell me about the airspace marked on the New York
North Sectional 30 nm north of Boston. It's a circle of 30
nm radius marked with a heavy blue dashed line (sort of like
Class D, but heavier) and appears to surround P-67, the
Kennebunkport ex-president's abode. All color inside the
circle is removed from the sectional inside that area. I
don't see aything about that heavy dashed blue marking on
the sectional legend.

I'm guessing that it is the limit of the TFR expansion when
the president visits, but where does it describe this type
of marking for the sectional? Is there a similar marking
for the Texas presidential home? Any others? Have I got
this right? Other than a call to flight service (and
avoiding P-67) do I need to pay any particular attention to
this marked area?

Jose
March 17th 06, 07:45 PM
> Can anyone tell me about the airspace marked on the New York
> North Sectional 30 nm north of Boston. It's a circle of 30
> nm radius marked with a heavy blue dashed line (sort of like
> Class D, but heavier) and appears to surround P-67, the
> Kennebunkport ex-president's abode.

> I'm guessing that it is the limit of the TFR expansion when
> the president visits,

Yep. There's a similar one on the DC chart (P-40). It can inflate
without warning. That is, you can get a briefing, take off, and while
you're in the air they can decide to inflate it. A NOTAM will be
issued, but you won't get it. If you're inside it at that time, there
could be some excitement. So, if you fly near it, I would reccomend
being in contact with ATC and asking if it is inflated or not.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

Andrew Gideon
March 17th 06, 10:48 PM
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:45:04 +0000, Jose wrote:

> So, if you fly near it, I would reccomend
> being in contact with ATC and asking if it is inflated or not.

What happens if you're in it when it expands to encompass your current
location?

- Andrew

Jose
March 17th 06, 11:32 PM
> What happens if you're in it when it expands to encompass your current
> location?

That's not something I want to find out. :)

I suspect they would use the same procedures as any other aircraft
stumbling into the airspace, and you'd have to answer the same questions.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

Robert Chambers
March 18th 06, 02:09 AM
If you're in it when it goes hot AND you are talking to them, they
would probably just say "grumman 11111 TFR 30nm from Pxx is now active,
please exit the area as soon as possible" or words to that effect.

Like being in the middle of the intersection waiting for a left turn
when the light goes red. You have to clear the intersection.

Jose wrote:
>> What happens if you're in it when it expands to encompass your current
>> location?
>

> That's not something I want to find out. :)
>
> I suspect they would use the same procedures as any other aircraft
> stumbling into the airspace, and you'd have to answer the same questions.
>
> Jose

BTIZ
March 18th 06, 04:29 AM
that is the presidential TFR airspace, there is another one at the Ranch in
Texas

check out the AOPA airspace tutorial at www.asf.org
BT

"Jose" > wrote in message
m...
>> Can anyone tell me about the airspace marked on the New York
>> North Sectional 30 nm north of Boston. It's a circle of 30
>> nm radius marked with a heavy blue dashed line (sort of like
>> Class D, but heavier) and appears to surround P-67, the
>> Kennebunkport ex-president's abode.
>
>> I'm guessing that it is the limit of the TFR expansion when
>> the president visits,
>
> Yep. There's a similar one on the DC chart (P-40). It can inflate
> without warning. That is, you can get a briefing, take off, and while
> you're in the air they can decide to inflate it. A NOTAM will be issued,
> but you won't get it. If you're inside it at that time, there could be
> some excitement. So, if you fly near it, I would reccomend being in
> contact with ATC and asking if it is inflated or not.
>
> Jose
> --
> Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
> for Email, make the obvious change in the address.

Cub Driver
March 18th 06, 10:47 AM
On 17 Mar 2006 13:35:01 -0600, Robert Tenet > wrote:

>Other than a call to flight service (and
>avoiding P-67) do I need to pay any particular attention to
>this marked area?

Not unless there's a TFR current :)

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Cub Driver
March 18th 06, 10:49 AM
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:45:04 GMT, Jose >
wrote:

> That is, you can get a briefing, take off, and while
>you're in the air they can decide to inflate it. A NOTAM will be
>issued, but you won't get it.

Hasn't happened yet.

And of course the same is true of any piece of airspace in the
country. If the president visits, it gets a TFR (and your chart won't
show the limits, so you'll just have to guesstimate).

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Highflyer
March 23rd 06, 04:40 AM
"Andrew Gideon" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:45:04 +0000, Jose wrote:
>
>> So, if you fly near it, I would reccomend
>> being in contact with ATC and asking if it is inflated or not.
>
> What happens if you're in it when it expands to encompass your current
> location?
>
> - Andrew

The Pres orders the airforce to shoot you down. :-)

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )

Jay Beckman
March 23rd 06, 06:21 AM
"Highflyer" > wrote in message

> "Andrew Gideon" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:45:04 +0000, Jose wrote:
>>
>>> So, if you fly near it, I would reccomend
>>> being in contact with ATC and asking if it is inflated or not.
>>
>> What happens if you're in it when it expands to encompass your current
>> location?
>>
>> - Andrew
>>

> The Pres orders the airforce to shoot you down. :-)
>
> Highflyer
> Highflight Aviation Services
> Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )

No he doesn't because "The Pres" isn't the one responsible for the TFR in
the first place.

Yes, he's the reason it's there, but it's the nitwits at the DHS/TSA in
conjuction with the SS who decided and continue to maintain that such huge
TFRs are necessary.

I wish it weren't so, but I don't think we'll ever break these agencies of
this "Not On My Watch" mentality.

(TFR = Totally F-ing Rediculous)

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

John
March 27th 06, 02:56 PM
Andrew Gideon wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:45:04 +0000, Jose wrote:
>
> > So, if you fly near it, I would reccomend
> > being in contact with ATC and asking if it is inflated or not.
>
> What happens if you're in it when it expands to encompass your current
> location?

http://www.airportbusiness.com/article/article.jsp?id=5386&siteSection=5

Andrew Gideon
March 28th 06, 10:49 PM
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:56:19 -0500, John wrote:

>> What happens if you're in it when it expands to encompass your current
>> location?
>
> http://www.airportbusiness.com/article/article.jsp?id=5386&siteSection=5

Could you be more specific? I missed which of these "violations" was
caused by growing the airspace to include an aircraft's current location.

- Andrew

aaronw
April 4th 06, 06:19 AM
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:48:10 -0500, Andrew Gideon
> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 19:45:04 +0000, Jose wrote:
>
>> So, if you fly near it, I would reccomend
>> being in contact with ATC and asking if it is inflated or not.
>
>What happens if you're in it when it expands to encompass your current
>location?

To my knowledge there hasn't been an incident yet where someone got
busted by a TFR that came into being after they got their preflight
briefing but during their transit/before their landing. I suspect the
FAA will have an extremely hard time making that bust stick to
someone, especially if it is otherwise uncontrolled airspace. Oh, you
might get intercepted, and have to follow those procedures (you have
your handy interception procedure card, don't you?), but *IF* you
became familiar with all available preflight information and didn't do
something reckless, there's simply nothing they're going to be able to
stick you with.

aw

Cub Driver
April 4th 06, 10:49 AM
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:19:22 GMT, aaronw >
wrote:

>>What happens if you're in it when it expands to encompass your current
>>location?
>

>To my knowledge there hasn't been an incident yet where someone got
>busted by a TFR that came into being after they got their preflight
>briefing but during their transit/before their landing.

In the case of the Kennebunkport area, it has been marked as to avoid
since before I took my first flying lesson at Hampton airfield, since
it's the summer home of Bush 41. It has been subject to TFRs since
shortly after 9/11. That's well over four years by now, and not once
in that time have we failed to have at least 48 hours' notice that a
TFR was going into effect.

Indeed, since Bush 43 generally lands at PSM Portsmouth, it's moot
anyhow, since the TFR for his landing shuts down Hampton airfield
anyhow. There was one instance during the 2004 campaign when he had
one of those ugly Moveable Feast TFRs because he came up from Boston
(wherever) in a motor caravan, but in that case I don't think he went
to Kennebunkport.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com