PDA

View Full Version : more horsepower

T-Bone
March 20th 06, 01:18 AM
hello there....I was interested in putting floats on my Cessna 172
O-300 and need some more Horsies........not drag........any ideas
less putting a bigger engine in it....

Jim Macklin
March 20th 06, 01:55 AM
With the floats, you can go to a bigger prop, with a flatter
pitch to allow higher RPM at take-off speeds, but top speed
will be reduced slightly because you won't be able to have
as high a manifold pressure without over-revving the engine.
If your O-300 has a constant speed prop option (hollow crank
or perhaps an electric prop) you would gain better take-off
power and cruise speed.

The O-300 C172 is pretty old and float operating is a high
stress operation. You might be better off finding a C172
with the factory float mods and structural bracing/upgrades.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"T-Bone" > wrote in message
oups.com...
| hello there....I was interested in putting floats on my
Cessna 172
| O-300 and need some more Horsies........not
drag........any ideas
| less putting a bigger engine in it....

Jay Honeck
March 20th 06, 02:52 AM
>> hello there....I was interested in putting floats on my Cessna 172
>> O-300 and need some more Horsies........not drag........any ideas
>> less putting a bigger engine in it....
>
> How about one of those exhaust pipe systems that give you up to 155 more
> HP.
> I can't think of the name, right now.

Powerflow? I've heard they're good, but I don't think they increase
horsepower *that* much!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jon Woellhaf
March 20th 06, 02:56 AM
Jay Honeck wrote
>> How about one of those exhaust pipe systems that give you up to 155 more
>> HP. I can't think of the name, right now.
>
> Powerflow? I've heard they're good, but I don't think they increase
> horsepower *that* much!

He must mean the ones for the P-51. <g>

Darkwing
March 20th 06, 03:06 AM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "T-Bone" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> hello there....I was interested in putting floats on my Cessna 172
>> O-300 and need some more Horsies........not drag........any ideas
>> less putting a bigger engine in it....
>
> How about one of those exhaust pipe systems that give you up to 155 more
> HP.
> I can't think of the name, right now.
> --
> Jim in NC

155 horse? Maybe with a blower and a NOS kit!

DW

Morgans
March 20th 06, 03:51 AM
"T-Bone" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> hello there....I was interested in putting floats on my Cessna 172
> O-300 and need some more Horsies........not drag........any ideas
> less putting a bigger engine in it....

How about one of those exhaust pipe systems that give you up to 155 more HP.
I can't think of the name, right now.
--
Jim in NC

Newps
March 20th 06, 04:11 AM
Morgans wrote:

> "T-Bone" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>hello there....I was interested in putting floats on my Cessna 172
>>O-300 and need some more Horsies........not drag........any ideas
>>less putting a bigger engine in it....
>

> How about one of those exhaust pipe systems that give you up to 155 more HP.

That's funny, 155 more hp on a 172.

Jim Macklin
March 20th 06, 07:17 AM
turbocharger system?

"Morgans" > wrote in message

| "T-Bone" > wrote in message

oups.com...
| > hello there....I was interested in putting floats on my
Cessna 172
| > O-300 and need some more Horsies........not
drag........any ideas
| > less putting a bigger engine in it....
|
| How about one of those exhaust pipe systems that give you
up to 155 more HP.
| I can't think of the name, right now.
| --
| Jim in NC

150flivver
March 20th 06, 03:00 PM
I've not seen any O300 powerflow exhausts, they're more common on
Lycomings. You're not going to get more horses out of an O300. If
you're serious about needing them, you'll need to get a different
engine.

Morgans
March 20th 06, 10:52 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote

> Powerflow? I've heard they're good, but I don't think they increase
> horsepower *that* much!

That is one brand. I think I am thinking about another brand. Who knows
about how much increase, really. Anyone (most, anyway) promoting an
increased HP product, tend to boast about their effectiveness. <g>'

Anyone know how much Powerflow does increase HP?
--
Jim in NC

Morgans
March 20th 06, 10:54 PM
"Darkwing" <theducksmailATyahoo.com> wrote

> 155 horse? Maybe with a blower and a NOS kit!

Oh crap! Now I see what Jay was questioning me about! That was supposed to
be 15 [shift] %.
--
Jim in NC

Morgans
March 20th 06, 10:56 PM
"Newps" > wrote

> That's funny, 155 more hp on a 172.

That is completely accurate. A 1 HP increase is "up to" 155!
--
Jim in NC

Google