PDA

View Full Version : DC Headset: H10-13.4 or H20-10 ?

Alfa Bravo
March 22nd 06, 07:23 PM
Hi,

As a student pilot PPL(A), I'm considering to buy a brand new headset,
though can't decide which one to buy.
Checking all data, I can't discover any remarkable diff between both models.

- The 10-13.4 model is the old time favorite, it seems.
- The 20-10 model is presented as next generation model.

Is someone able to indicate the big diff between both models ?

Thanks,

Barry

March 22nd 06, 08:19 PM
Actually, you don't want either one.

Get an Active Noise Reduction (ANR) headset.
Save, if you must, but don't settle for anything less than ANR!

"God only gave you so much hearing to last the rest of your life!
Don't use it up or give it away for a lack of $$."
-- Jer/ Eberhard

Alfa Bravo > wrote:
> Hi,

> As a student pilot PPL(A), I'm considering to buy a brand new headset,
> though can't decide which one to buy.
> Checking all data, I can't discover any remarkable diff between both models.

> - The 10-13.4 model is the old time favorite, it seems.
> - The 20-10 model is presented as next generation model.

> Is someone able to indicate the big diff between both models ?

> Thanks,

> Barry

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer<at>frii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/

Alfa Bravo
March 22nd 06, 08:27 PM
I find it a bit overdone, this ANR thing. Ofcourse it is a nice feature, but
I'm not flying helicopters or jets, just a C172 or PA28. Ok, still a lot of
noise, but ANR ... I don't know. BTW, Are the ANR electronics powered by the
plane, or does it uses (rechargable) batteries?

Barry

> schreef in bericht ...
> Actually, you don't want either one.
>
> Get an Active Noise Reduction (ANR) headset.
> Save, if you must, but don't settle for anything less than ANR!
>
> "God only gave you so much hearing to last the rest of your life!
> Don't use it up or give it away for a lack of $$."
> -- Jer/ Eberhard
>
> Alfa Bravo > wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> As a student pilot PPL(A), I'm considering to buy a brand new headset,
>> though can't decide which one to buy.
>> Checking all data, I can't discover any remarkable diff between both
>> models.
>
>> - The 10-13.4 model is the old time favorite, it seems.
>> - The 20-10 model is presented as next generation model.
>
>> Is someone able to indicate the big diff between both models ?
>
>> Thanks,
>
>> Barry
>

> Best regards,
>
> Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
> --
> Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
> CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer<at>frii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/
> C-206 N9513G, CFII Airplane&Glider FAA-DEN Aviation Safety Counselor
> CAP-CO Mission&Aircraft CheckPilot BM218 HAM N0FZD 240 Young Eagles!

AliR
March 22nd 06, 10:38 PM
You will never go back once you go ANR. I have a DC 10-13 XL which I got
for $650 (it's almost like wearing nothing), and a DRE Communications 6000
that I got for $300 during my training days. I am happy with both of them.
Every student pilot who has borrowed by DRE 6000 has bought one!.

The DRE has a cigarette lighter adapter that I use when I fly older planes
with the cigarette lighter socket (Like the F33, and old 172s). The DC is
battery or Panel.

AliR.

"Alfa Bravo" > wrote in message
> I find it a bit overdone, this ANR thing. Ofcourse it is a nice feature,
but
> I'm not flying helicopters or jets, just a C172 or PA28. Ok, still a lot
of
> noise, but ANR ... I don't know. BTW, Are the ANR electronics powered by
the
> plane, or does it uses (rechargable) batteries?
>
> Barry
>
> > schreef in bericht
> > Actually, you don't want either one.
> >
> > Get an Active Noise Reduction (ANR) headset.
> > Save, if you must, but don't settle for anything less than ANR!
> >
> > "God only gave you so much hearing to last the rest of your life!
> > Don't use it up or give it away for a lack of $$."
> > -- Jer/ Eberhard
> >
> > Alfa Bravo > wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >
> >> As a student pilot PPL(A), I'm considering to buy a brand new headset,
> >> though can't decide which one to buy.
> >> Checking all data, I can't discover any remarkable diff between both
> >> models.
> >
> >> - The 10-13.4 model is the old time favorite, it seems.
> >> - The 20-10 model is presented as next generation model.
> >
> >> Is someone able to indicate the big diff between both models ?
> >
> >> Thanks,
> >
> >> Barry
> >

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
> > --
> > Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
> > CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer<at>frii.com http://users.frii.com/jer/
> > C-206 N9513G, CFII Airplane&Glider FAA-DEN Aviation Safety Counselor
> > CAP-CO Mission&Aircraft CheckPilot BM218 HAM N0FZD 240 Young Eagles!

Rip
March 23rd 06, 02:01 AM
Alfa Bravo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a student pilot PPL(A), I'm considering to buy a brand new headset,
> though can't decide which one to buy.
> Checking all data, I can't discover any remarkable diff between both models.
>
> - The 10-13.4 model is the old time favorite, it seems.
> - The 20-10 model is presented as next generation model.
>
> Is someone able to indicate the big diff between both models ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barry

Go for the 10-13.4 with an Oregon Aero "Hush Kit". Better noise
attenuation than the noise cancelling units, cheaper, sturdier, no
batteries to worry about. I've tried them all, including the Bose $1000
units, and wouldn't trade my 10-13.4 for anything. Just my $0.20 worth.

Rip

Kevin Black
March 23rd 06, 10:29 AM
Personal choice. I had the DC20-10s, liked them (better than the 13.4s
which I tried before buying) and would have upgraded to the ANR version, but
DC doesn't have an upgrade path (other than to sell the headset you have and
buy a new one) so bought the Lightspeed 25XLs largely because of price. Am
curently upgrading these to the Lightspeed 303Gs - very very comfortable,
great ANR. Have heard good reports about the DRE ENR 6000 for $279 at
Avionics West (they have a review). I'm also not flying helicopters or jets
just C150, C172, PA28, but I don't believe it's overdone.

FWIWand IMHO, there is absolutely no comparison between ANR and passive. In
my case, once flown with ANR I would never willingly go back to passive
there really is that much difference.

Of course YMMV and Your ears, your $$$s
Kevin

"Rip" > wrote in message
m...
> Alfa Bravo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As a student pilot PPL(A), I'm considering to buy a brand new headset,
>> though can't decide which one to buy.
>> Checking all data, I can't discover any remarkable diff between both
>> models.
>>
>> - The 10-13.4 model is the old time favorite, it seems.
>> - The 20-10 model is presented as next generation model.
>>
>> Is someone able to indicate the big diff between both models ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Barry
> Go for the 10-13.4 with an Oregon Aero "Hush Kit". Better noise
> attenuation than the noise cancelling units, cheaper, sturdier, no
> batteries to worry about. I've tried them all, including the Bose $1000
> units, and wouldn't trade my 10-13.4 for anything. Just my $0.20 worth.
>
> Rip

B A R R Y
March 23rd 06, 12:23 PM
Rip wrote:

> Go for the 10-13.4 with an Oregon Aero "Hush Kit". Better noise
> attenuation than the noise cancelling units, cheaper, sturdier, no
> batteries to worry about. I've tried them all, including the Bose $1000
> units, and wouldn't trade my 10-13.4 for anything.

WEAR THEM BEFORE YOU BUY!!!! <G>

I replaced my DC's due to the clamping force on my melon. They really
hurt after an hour or so, and they were also quite hot. No aftermarket
ANR kit could have changed those basic facts.

I did the 30 day Bose hands-on trial, after asking for input here, and
now you'd have to pry them from my hands.

B A R R Y
March 23rd 06, 01:27 PM
john smith wrote:

> The 20-10's were designed to address the clamping issue some "fat-heads"
> ;-)) complain about.

I resemble that remark!

I have the H10-13.4S.

john smith
March 23rd 06, 04:18 PM
> > The 20-10's were designed to address the clamping issue some "fat-heads"
> > ;-)) complain about.

> I resemble that remark!
> I have the H10-13.4S.

Not to be confused with the H10-13.4Y
I cannot afford to buy new headsets. I have:
2x 10-40's (my originals, they are still available but not advertised)
2x 10-13.4's
2x 10-13.4Y's

Jonathan Sorger
March 24th 06, 04:29 AM
I bought a pair of 20-10s for my training and they have served me well.
I would get the cheaper (non-ANR) set until you determine that flying is
for you, in which case you'll probably need another headset to take a
friend along (who can use your 'old' 20-10.

In > Alfa Bravo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a student pilot PPL(A), I'm considering to buy a brand new headset,
> though can't decide which one to buy.
> Checking all data, I can't discover any remarkable diff between both
> models.
>
> - The 10-13.4 model is the old time favorite, it seems.
> - The 20-10 model is presented as next generation model.
>
> Is someone able to indicate the big diff between both models ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barry

Kevin Black
March 24th 06, 08:16 AM
I've heard goos reports about the headsets Inc ANR conversion. A cost
effective way to get your passive DCs ANR'd. Just a thought. Was one of
the options I considered with the 20-10s, but they were farly new and it
would have voided the DC warranty. If you have older sets this probably
would not be an issue.

Cheers,
Kevin
"john smith" > wrote in message
>> > The 20-10's were designed to address the clamping issue some
>> > "fat-heads"
>> > ;-)) complain about.
>
>> I resemble that remark!
>> I have the H10-13.4S.
>
> Not to be confused with the H10-13.4Y
> I cannot afford to buy new headsets. I have:
> 2x 10-40's (my originals, they are still available but not advertised)
> 2x 10-13.4's
> 2x 10-13.4Y's

Newps
March 24th 06, 07:03 PM
Jonathan Sorger wrote:

> I bought a pair of 20-10s for my training and they have served me well.
> I would get the cheaper (non-ANR) set until you determine that flying is
> for you, in which case you'll probably need another headset to take a
> friend along (who can use your 'old' 20-10.

You can get the Lightspeed QFR ANR model for less than than the DC crap.

Alfa Bravo
March 24th 06, 08:33 PM
This is an interesting and pragmatic issue. Buy the one you think fits most
to your requirements. If not, buy an another one within a couple of years,
and keep your old set for someone else flying with you. I think that is the
most valueable argument I heard untill now.

I'm guess I just try both sets in the shop, and decide at that time which
one to buy.

Thanks all for your opinions,

Berry

http://bere-design.tk
"Jonathan Sorger" > schreef in bericht
>I bought a pair of 20-10s for my training and they have served me well.
> I would get the cheaper (non-ANR) set until you determine that flying is
> for you, in which case you'll probably need another headset to take a
> friend along (who can use your 'old' 20-10.
>

> In > Alfa Bravo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As a student pilot PPL(A), I'm considering to buy a brand new headset,
>> though can't decide which one to buy.
>> Checking all data, I can't discover any remarkable diff between both
>> models.
>>
>> - The 10-13.4 model is the old time favorite, it seems.
>> - The 20-10 model is presented as next generation model.
>>
>> Is someone able to indicate the big diff between both models ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Barry

john smith
March 25th 06, 12:17 AM
> I'm guess I just try both sets in the shop, and decide at that time which
> one to buy.

Wearing them in the shop is not the same as wearing them for a couple of
hours while flying.

Google