PDA

View Full Version : Just received on the acro group

john smith
March 23rd 06, 01:53 AM
Unfortunate Loss
Aerobatic pilot, Nick Nilmeyer of San Martin, California was killed
during an aerobatic practice session over Metz Field on Tuesday, March
21st. Nilmeyer, one of the Stars of Tomorrow pilots was set to compete
for ACAPšs eXtreme Airshow Challenge. The NTSB is currently
investigating the accident and no cause has been determined. Service and
funeral arrangements are currently being finalized by the family.

Toks Desalu
March 23rd 06, 02:39 AM
I read stories about him. Sad.:(
My deepest sympathy goes out to his family

"john smith" > wrote in message

> Unfortunate Loss
> Aerobatic pilot, Nick Nilmeyer of San Martin, California was killed
> during an aerobatic practice session over Metz Field on Tuesday, March
> 21st. Nilmeyer, one of the Stars of Tomorrow pilots was set to compete
> for ACAPšs eXtreme Airshow Challenge. The NTSB is currently
> investigating the accident and no cause has been determined. Service and
> funeral arrangements are currently being finalized by the family.

Jay Honeck
March 23rd 06, 05:23 AM
News story about the crash:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L28A227DC

Dang, I wonder what happened here? It says he was done with his aerobatics
practice, and crashed alongside the runway?

Very strange. My sympathies to all, especially his parents.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jose
March 23rd 06, 05:31 AM
> Dang, I wonder what happened here? It says he was done with his aerobatics
> practice, and crashed alongside the runway?

It's usenet, so I'll speculate with no information.

It is possible that something (a coin perhaps) got caught in the
mechanism. When doing aerobatics, the cockpit must be totally sterile -
absolutely nothing loose, nothing in pockets, nothing that can be shaken
around when upside down. Maybe something got loose and worked its way
into a tragic position.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

March 23rd 06, 06:08 AM
Doubtful. Wayne had just gone into his office after he finished
coaching Nick, who was on his way down to land. More likely he
performed some kind of maneuver that simply closed too low, but the
NTSB report will have the official word. I was surprised at how intact
the airplane was. It looks repairable.

Google