PDA

View Full Version : And now for something fun

AJ
March 23rd 06, 02:29 PM
I stumbled onto a webpage devoted to movie cliches. Of course, the
best section is called "Airplanes." My favorite cliche: "When a plane
is low on fuel, the hero usually taps the gas guage as if that will
help. Example....Top Gun, Tom Cruise tapping the gas gauge of a $60
millon F-14 Tomcat like it is a '74 Dodge Dart."

Check it out at http://www.moviecliches.com/cliche.cgi?airplanes. Can
you think of any they missed?

AJ

Steven P. McNicoll
March 23rd 06, 03:12 PM
"AJ" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> I stumbled onto a webpage devoted to movie cliches. Of course, the
> best section is called "Airplanes." My favorite cliche: "When a plane
> is low on fuel, the hero usually taps the gas guage as if that will
> help. Example....Top Gun, Tom Cruise tapping the gas gauge of a $60
> millon F-14 Tomcat like it is a '74 Dodge Dart."
>
> Check it out at http://www.moviecliches.com/cliche.cgi?airplanes. Can
> you think of any they missed?

I think some of the submitters are a little short of knowledge to be making
their submissions. Here's an example:

"In many movies, they show the exterior of a Boeing 747, then they cut to
the inside where the flight attendant is exiting the elevator wich comes
from the galley to the passenger deck, when in fact it is not the 747 that
has this design at all, but rather the L1011, the only passenger airliner
aircraft ever made by lockheed."

Let's see, just off the top of my head; Vega, Orion, Electra, Electra
Junior, Super Electra, Lodestar, Constellation, Super Constellation,
Starliner, Electra (L-188), TriStar.

AJ
March 23rd 06, 03:14 PM
True, but the list shouldn't be taken as a bible on the subject of
aircraft. Why not post some observations and educate them goons?

AJ

Denny
March 23rd 06, 04:46 PM
Not to mention a fewLockheed airliner of one passenger types, such as:
* P-38 Lightning
* P-80 Shooting Star
* Lockheed XF-90
* Lockheed U-2
* QT-2PC PRIZE CREW
* Army-Lockheed YO-3A
* A-12 Oxcart
* SR-71 Blackbird
* D-21 Tagboard
* F-117 Nighthawk
* F-35 Joint Strike Fighter
* Lockheed X-27

denny

Steven P. McNicoll
March 23rd 06, 04:58 PM
"Denny" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Not to mention a fewLockheed airliner of one passenger types, such as:
> * P-38 Lightning
> * P-80 Shooting Star
> * Lockheed XF-90
> * Lockheed U-2
> * QT-2PC PRIZE CREW
> * Army-Lockheed YO-3A
> * A-12 Oxcart
> * SR-71 Blackbird
> * D-21 Tagboard
> * F-117 Nighthawk
> * F-35 Joint Strike Fighter
> * Lockheed X-27

"Passenger" is generally defined as a person that travels in a conveyance
without participating in its operation. Your stretching that quite a bit
with this list. But tell me, who do you consider to be the "one passenger"
on the D-21?

nrp
March 23rd 06, 06:48 PM
Hey you ATR guys - I hate to be so stupid, but do you flare/land the
heavy iron with one hand or two? If two, at what size A/C do you
switch over?

Bob Moore
March 23rd 06, 07:06 PM
nrp wrote

> Hey you ATR guys - I hate to be so stupid, but do you flare/land the
> heavy iron with one hand or two? If two, at what size A/C do you
> switch over?

Most airliners have hydraulicly powered controls and those that don't,
have some form of aerodynamic boost. One handed flares are the norm
except in gusty wind conditions.

However, there is not nearly as much flare in a jetliner as there is
in GA type aircraft. The FAA deems that there is better control if the
aircraft touches-down at or near 1.3 times Vso. In the two Boeings
that I flew and instructed (B-707, B-727), at about 50', one would raise
the nose just about one degree to arrest the sink rate and then for the
smoothest landing, put the nose right back down to where it was during
the approach. The main landing gear is so far behind the center of
rotation that any continued flare movement would simply drive the main
landing gear onto the runway.

PS ATR went away back in the '70s, we're ATP now. :-)

Bob Moore
ATP B-707, B-727
PanAm (retired)

Bob Fry
March 24th 06, 02:00 AM
Thanks. I added one:

In airline movies with lengthy intrigue happening inside, heros and
villains clamber around inside spacious secret compartments with
winky-blinky "avionics" bays and such. Plus, if they exit or enter
the aircraft, they never have to cross a pressure bulkhead.

LWG
March 24th 06, 03:57 AM
Yeah, but the funniest thing was that he was tapping an electroluminescent
display to get it unstuck.

> My favorite cliche: "When a plane
> is low on fuel, the hero usually taps the gas guage as if that will
> help. Example....Top Gun, Tom Cruise tapping the gas gauge of a $60
> millon F-14 Tomcat like it is a '74 Dodge Dart."
>
> Check it out at http://www.moviecliches.com/cliche.cgi?airplanes. Can
> you think of any they missed?
>
> AJ

Google