PDA

View Full Version : CFI Logbook question

kontiki
March 24th 06, 11:14 PM
I just received my CFI ticket (finally decided to go for it) and now I
want to log flight training hours in a separate logbook. Any of you CFIs
have a suggestion for one? I've searched the usual pilot shops on line
and it appears that a logbook geared to CFI flight training doesn't exist...
It seems that would be a popular item.

I don't want to a computerized logbook (for now) since I don't have a laptop.
Which of the available ones (ASA, Jeppeson, et.al.) do you CFIs recommend?

TIA

Robert M. Gary
March 24th 06, 11:25 PM
Why do you want a different log book? I use my same book. Don't forget
that you must also log every endorsement you make. I use the back of my
log book to track solo, cross country, checkride, etc endorsements.
Seems like a different log book can be complicated.

-Robert, CFI

Jim Burns
March 24th 06, 11:43 PM
My current ASA logbook simply has a column labeled "As Flight Instructor"
to record the time, endorsement records are maintained in the back, student
name and a description of training given is simply entered just as if I'd
received training.
Jim

"kontiki" > wrote in message
> I just received my CFI ticket (finally decided to go for it) and now I
> want to log flight training hours in a separate logbook. Any of you CFIs
> have a suggestion for one? I've searched the usual pilot shops on line
> and it appears that a logbook geared to CFI flight training doesn't
exist...
> It seems that would be a popular item.
>
> I don't want to a computerized logbook (for now) since I don't have a
laptop.
> Which of the available ones (ASA, Jeppeson, et.al.) do you CFIs recommend?
>
> TIA

kontiki
March 25th 06, 12:26 AM
Robert M. Gary wrote:
> Why do you want a different log book? I use my same book.
I don't know... I just thought it might be a more organized way of tracking
my flight training hours, student endorsements and so on without clogging
up my regular logbook.

> Don't forget > that you must also log every endorsement you make.

Believe me, I am well aware of that, that's why I thought it would be nicer
to have a separate training logbook for all of that stuff.
> I use the back of my log book to track solo, cross country, checkride,
> etc endorsements. > Seems like a different log book can be complicated.

Maybe that's what I'll just end up doing if there are no better ways to do it.

> -Robert, CFI

Thanks for the input. :)

kontiki
March 25th 06, 12:30 AM
Jim Burns wrote:

> My current ASA logbook simply has a column labeled "As Flight Instructor"
> to record the time, endorsement records are maintained in the back, student
> name and a description of training given is simply entered just as if I'd
> received training.
> Jim

Hmmm sounds like a good solution, can you give me the item number of that ASA
book? I'm on my second ASA-SP-30 and would prefer a bit larger size log book
with more room to elaborate on lesson actvities/comments for each entry than this
book provides. I have a hard time writing in very tiny letters (that would be
required if I tried to put it all in this one).

Jose
March 25th 06, 02:50 AM
One thing to consider (for all paper logbooks) is the color of the
paper. I photograph, scan, or xerox all my pages and keep the copies
elsewhere, in case my logbook gets stolen again. Colored paper and
greyed columns make this more problematic.

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

BTIZ
March 25th 06, 03:57 AM
I use a yellow highlighter to show entries in my log book where I made an
endorsement in the students logbook, solo, check ride approval, aircraft
check out, FR etc.
BT

"Robert M. Gary" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Why do you want a different log book? I use my same book. Don't forget
> that you must also log every endorsement you make. I use the back of my
> log book to track solo, cross country, checkride, etc endorsements.
> Seems like a different log book can be complicated.
>
> -Robert, CFI

Andrew Sarangan
March 25th 06, 03:00 PM
kontiki wrote:
> I just received my CFI ticket (finally decided to go for it) and now I
> want to log flight training hours in a separate logbook. Any of you CFIs
> have a suggestion for one? I've searched the usual pilot shops on line
> and it appears that a logbook geared to CFI flight training doesn't exist...
> It seems that would be a popular item.
>
> I don't want to a computerized logbook (for now) since I don't have a laptop.
> Which of the available ones (ASA, Jeppeson, et.al.) do you CFIs recommend?
>
> TIA

Why not just use a spreadsheet? I use excel to keep track of all kinds
of things such as flight time, ground time, invoices, expenses,
endorsements, currency etc.. At the end of the year, I can easily
figure out all the financial information for income tax reporting. I
can also easily find my total time in each aircraft type for insurance
purposes. I can also sort the data for each student separately to see
how well they are progressing.

I only use my paper logbook for things like flght reviews and IPC's
where someone has to affix a signature.

Once every few months I take a printout formatted to look like a
regular logbook and put it away in case I lose my computer data.

Jim Burns
March 25th 06, 03:06 PM
P.S.
Congratulations on completing your CFI certificate. When you have time, I'm
sure that everyone would love to hear about your training and checkride!
Jim

"kontiki" > wrote in message
> I just received my CFI ticket (finally decided to go for it) and now I
> want to log flight training hours in a separate logbook. Any of you CFIs
> have a suggestion for one? I've searched the usual pilot shops on line
> and it appears that a logbook geared to CFI flight training doesn't
exist...
> It seems that would be a popular item.
>
> I don't want to a computerized logbook (for now) since I don't have a
laptop.
> Which of the available ones (ASA, Jeppeson, et.al.) do you CFIs recommend?
>
> TIA

Jim Burns
March 25th 06, 03:15 PM
Sorry, I checked my book and it's actually a Jeppesen, no model number, no
publish date, only says Pilot Logbook on the cover. As far as room is
concerned, I simply use as many lines as necessary.
Jim

"kontiki" > wrote in message
> Jim Burns wrote:
>
> > My current ASA logbook simply has a column labeled "As Flight
Instructor"
> > to record the time, endorsement records are maintained in the back,
student
> > name and a description of training given is simply entered just as if
I'd
> > received training.
> > Jim
>
> Hmmm sounds like a good solution, can you give me the item number of that
ASA
> book? I'm on my second ASA-SP-30 and would prefer a bit larger size log
book
> with more room to elaborate on lesson actvities/comments for each entry
than this
> book provides. I have a hard time writing in very tiny letters (that would
be
> required if I tried to put it all in this one).

Jim Macklin
March 25th 06, 03:16 PM
Get one or two of those nice flash thumb drives to copy the
logbook, they make nice backups, can be carried into the FAA
office. Electronic signatures all fully as legal as pen and
ink.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Andrew Sarangan" > wrote in message
ups.com...

| kontiki wrote:
| > I just received my CFI ticket (finally decided to go for
it) and now I
| > want to log flight training hours in a separate logbook.
Any of you CFIs
| > have a suggestion for one? I've searched the usual pilot
shops on line
| > and it appears that a logbook geared to CFI flight
training doesn't exist...
| > It seems that would be a popular item.
| >
| > I don't want to a computerized logbook (for now) since I
don't have a laptop.
| > Which of the available ones (ASA, Jeppeson, et.al.) do
you CFIs recommend?

| > TIA
|
| Why not just use a spreadsheet? I use excel to keep track
of all kinds
| of things such as flight time, ground time, invoices,
expenses,
| endorsements, currency etc.. At the end of the year, I can
easily
| figure out all the financial information for income tax
reporting. I
| can also easily find my total time in each aircraft type
for insurance
| purposes. I can also sort the data for each student
separately to see
| how well they are progressing.
|
| I only use my paper logbook for things like flght reviews
and IPC's
| where someone has to affix a signature.
|
| Once every few months I take a printout formatted to look
like a
| regular logbook and put it away in case I lose my computer
data.

kontiki
March 25th 06, 08:47 PM
Jim Burns wrote:
> P.S.
> Congratulations on completing your CFI certificate. When you have time, I'm
> sure that everyone would love to hear about your training and checkride!
> Jim
Thanks. I own a plane which I fly a fair amount and I'm also a part time
Forestry pilot so I wanted to keep any flight training hours separately to
make it easier to keep track of lessons flights with students. To me it
makes sense... like why we create different folders for different stuff on
our computers. Its all disk space, but organizing things makes it easier
to find.

I actuallt started working on the CFI 3 years ago.. took the written for
CFI, CFII and AGI but switched jobs/careers and moved so it got put on
hold. HAd to retake the CFI written because it had expired. I worked with
a couple of local CFIs and got signed off for the practical. Had to go
through the FSDO and got to do it with some FAA guys. For me, that part
was pretty stressful (they scrutinized the aircraft up and down, but
that's another story). Didn't perform the short field and soft field
landings up to snuff enough for the examiner so I had to redo them later.
(I actually spent minimal time on them so I wasn't suprised when they
didn't turn out very well!)

.Blueskies.
March 26th 06, 02:17 PM
"Jim Macklin" > wrote in message news:UadVf.734$t22.621@dukeread08...
> Get one or two of those nice flash thumb drives to copy the
> logbook, they make nice backups, can be carried into the FAA
> office. Electronic signatures all fully as legal as pen and
> ink.
>

> --
> James H. Macklin
> ATP,CFI,A&P

Electronic signatures are not for the feint of heart, however. There are all sorts of things you need to have in place
to make it valid: http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/examiners_inspectors/8400/media/volume3/3_011_02.pdf for
example....

Google