PDA

View Full Version : Ground plane

Frank
July 16th 03, 03:17 AM
Can any one tell me how much signal I will lose if the ground plane is not
directly under the radiating element? What if I have to move it 2' away,
although still tied to co-ax shield?

frank
July 16th 03, 03:20 AM

> Two FEET? Leave it on the ground. It will do as much good.
>
> Jim Weir (A&P/IA, CFI, & other good alphabet soup) VP Eng RST Pres.
> Cyberchapter EAA Tech. Counselor http://www.rst-engr.com

Thanks {:-(

x-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Jim Weir
July 16th 03, 03:41 AM
Impossible to say. Eighth of an inch, probably not a lot. Quarter of an inch,
measurable. Half an inch, Very noticeable.

Two FEET? Leave it on the ground. It will do as much good.

Jim

Frank >

->Can any one tell me how much signal I will lose if the ground plane is not
->directly under the radiating element? What if I have to move it 2' away,
->although still tied to co-ax shield?

http://www.rst-engr.com

Scott
July 16th 03, 11:50 AM
What good is a ground plane??? An air plane is much more fun ;) Sorry,
couldn't resist...

Actually, what kind of installation are you planning that would elevate
the antenna above your ground plane? Is it a composite airplane and you
plan to put an antenna on the vertical stab top or something and the
ground plane laid into the composite on the turtle deck or something?

Hey Jim (Weir)...isn't that idea something similar to a Ringo Ranger II
(I have several) where the "ground radials" are connected via a piece of
coax that I believe is about 1/2 wavelength long?

Scott N0EDV
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com
Building RV-4
Gotta Fly or Gonna Die!

--

Ron Natalie
July 16th 03, 03:22 PM
"Scott" > wrote in message ...
\
> Hey Jim (Weir)...isn't that idea something similar to a Ringo Ranger II
> (I have several) where the "ground radials" are connected via a piece of
> coax that I believe is about 1/2 wavelength long?

The Ringo Ranger isn't a quarterwave. The whiskers on the bottom of
it aren't for the same purpose as the quarterwave groundplane. They're
primarily there to keep the feedline from radiating.

Frank
July 25th 03, 11:52 PM
Scott > wrote in
:

> What good is a ground plane??? An air plane is much more fun ;)
> Sorry, couldn't resist...
>
> Actually, what kind of installation are you planning that would
> elevate the antenna above your ground plane? Is it a composite
> airplane and you plan to put an antenna on the vertical stab top or
> something and the ground plane laid into the composite on the turtle
> deck or something?
>
> Hey Jim (Weir)...isn't that idea something similar to a Ringo Ranger
> II (I have several) where the "ground radials" are connected via a
> piece of coax that I believe is about 1/2 wavelength long?
Actually I was thinking of using the sruts for a ground plane, but did not
want the antennae in the middle of the seat, nor exposed on the outside of
the AIRPLANE.

Google