PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to Sun-n-Fun ?

John Doe
March 28th 06, 08:24 PM
Is anyone going to Sun-n-Fun this year?

Has anyone been there before in the past?

I was thinking about flying down to Florida to go to it this year. Never
been there before.

I would be interested in flying-in, but I'm not sure if the hassle is worth
it.

Jose
March 28th 06, 09:01 PM
> Is anyone going to Sun-n-Fun this year?
>
> Has anyone been there before in the past?
>
> I was thinking about flying down to Florida to go to it this year. Never
> been there before.
>
> I would be interested in flying-in, but I'm not sure if the hassle is worth
> it.

I went there last year; it was a blast. I flew in (from the NorthEast)
and as far as I'm concerned, that's the way to go. It feels like
cheating to come in any other way. :)

Review the NOTAMs and arrival procedures, have good airspeed,
flightpath, and altitude control, and you will be fine. You can camp
out by your airplane (that's the way to do it) and there are lots of
seminars, airshows, vendors, and all sorts of stuff to keep you busy and
interested through the week. Be sure to bring the rechargers for your
rechargable items (cellphones, PDAs); you can find places to plug them
in for a while - bring batteries as appropriate in case you run into a
dry spell (or like me, forget your recharger!).

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

Kyle Boatright
March 29th 06, 12:05 AM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
> Is anyone going to Sun-n-Fun this year?
>
> Has anyone been there before in the past?
>
> I was thinking about flying down to Florida to go to it this year. Never
> been there before.
>
> I would be interested in flying-in, but I'm not sure if the hassle is
> worth it.

The hassle is worth it! I've flown in every year except 2 since I got my
license (~12 years ago). I had one weather bust and one bust due to a
mechanical problem.

Bring your sunscreen and enjoy.

KB

FLAV8R
March 29th 06, 12:08 AM
I'm going by commercial jet into KMCO then driving down to Lakeland.
I would like to caution that in previous years the congestion of planes
arriving all at once can be overwhelming to some.
You should review the FAA NOTAMs and they also have an excellent video on
the procedures to follow.
If you need a link to the video let me know and I'll post it later.

David

"John Doe" > wrote in message
> Is anyone going to Sun-n-Fun this year?
>
> Has anyone been there before in the past?
>
> I was thinking about flying down to Florida to go to it this year. Never
> been there before.
>
> I would be interested in flying-in, but I'm not sure if the hassle is
> worth it.

John Doe
March 29th 06, 02:06 AM
"Jose" > wrote in message
. com...
>> Is anyone going to Sun-n-Fun this year?
>>
>> Has anyone been there before in the past?
>>
>> I was thinking about flying down to Florida to go to it this year. Never
>> been there before.
>>
>> I would be interested in flying-in, but I'm not sure if the hassle is
>> worth it.
>
> I went there last year; it was a blast. I flew in (from the NorthEast)
> and as far as I'm concerned, that's the way to go. It feels like cheating
> to come in any other way. :)

Do you have to pre-register if you're going to fly in or can you just "show
up" as long as you're following the NOTAMS?

Do you have a reserve a parking spot or how does all that work?

How painful is it to leave?

I'm thinking about flying in Friday afternoon and leaving early Sunday.

Doug
March 29th 06, 02:24 AM
Just read the Notam and fly in. Be careful about arrival times, as
sometimes the field is closed due to the airshow. They will park you.
I've been to Oshkosh and also Arlington (a small one in Washington
state). It's really no big problem. Just don't plan on IFR arrival or
departure. THAT is tricky (you need reservations and the phone system
is frustrating to use -- forget it). If it's IFR just spend the night
somewhere else and come in the next day.

Jose
March 29th 06, 04:34 AM
> Do you have to pre-register if you're going to fly in or can you just "show
> up" as long as you're following the NOTAMS?

I think you can just show up. If I recall correctly that's what we did
(but I didn't make the arrangements). It's probably smart to call ahead
to be sure there will be space for you.

> Do you have a reserve a parking spot or how does all that work?

You don't reserve a space, first come first served (at least for
airplane campers). Come a few days early and you get to park closer.

> How painful is it to leave?

Not at all, though there is a lot of taxiing. Bring your own tie downs
- that includes ropes and attachments (those screwthings that screw into
the ground to hold the ropes to the ground). They rent them there, but
you'll prefer not to shell out their price. Avgas wasn't that bad, but
pick your supplier carefully. There are some times where there are long
lines and they run you out four or six at a time, but they have it all
arranged very well. Keep your eyes peeled though! Of cousre you can't
leave or arrive during the airshows, which are the middle of most days
(check the schedule).

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

Dave S
March 29th 06, 10:50 AM
Bring your own tie downs
> - that includes ropes and attachments (those screwthings that screw into
> the ground to hold the ropes to the ground). They rent them there, but
> you'll prefer not to shell out their price.

I thought I read in the SNF notam that they will NOT be providing tie
downs this year, but require everyone to have them. Maybe they ran out
of rentals last year.

Dave

Dan Luke
March 29th 06, 12:49 PM
"John Doe" wrote:

> Do you have to pre-register if you're going to fly in or can you just
> "show up" as long as you're following the NOTAMS?

Just show up VFR.

IFR requires a reservation:

http://www.fly.faa.gov/estmp/

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Dan Luke
March 29th 06, 01:04 PM
"Doug" wrote:
> Just don't plan on IFR arrival or
> departure. THAT is tricky (you need reservations and the phone system
> is frustrating to use -- forget it).

It's a snap if you register by computer:

http://www.fly.faa.gov/estmp/

> If it's IFR just spend the night
> somewhere else and come in the next day.

IMO, that's the best time to arrive. If it's IFR it's easier and safer,
assuming you're current and proficient. You won't be landing with so many
Sunday drivers of dubious ability and judgement. When the pattern is busy
at S 'n' F or OSH, it can get scary.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

FLAV8R
March 30th 06, 06:28 PM
Here's the link to the official FAA NOTAM.
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/orl/sun_n_fun/

David
KORL

Kyle Boatright
March 31st 06, 12:06 AM
"FLAV8R" > wrote in message
> Here's the link to the official FAA NOTAM.
> http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/orl/sun_n_fun/
>
> David
> KORL

Anyone else notice that this NOTAM is a monster? 17Megs, IIRC. They need
to consider that not everyone has a T1 or Cable Modem connection...

Simply having a Black and White version would have helped, as would
segmenting the thing into relevant portions so you could get the VFR notam
without the warbird notam or the IFR notam, etc...

KB

CriticalMass
April 6th 06, 07:56 PM
FLAV8R wrote:
> I'm going by commercial jet into KMCO then driving down to Lakeland.
> I would like to caution that in previous years the congestion of planes
> arriving all at once can be overwhelming to some.

And that sort of thing only gets worse, it doesn't get better.

Driving in was tedious the couple of times I did it a few years ago,
too. Local roads are ill-equipped to handle airshow crowds, unless
they've been widened, and miles and miles of bumper to bumper creeping
traffic was hard to take.

Orval Fairbairn
April 6th 06, 10:22 PM
In article >,
CriticalMass > wrote:

> FLAV8R wrote:
> > I'm going by commercial jet into KMCO then driving down to Lakeland.
> > I would like to caution that in previous years the congestion of planes
> > arriving all at once can be overwhelming to some.
>
> And that sort of thing only gets worse, it doesn't get better.
>
> Driving in was tedious the couple of times I did it a few years ago,
> too. Local roads are ill-equipped to handle airshow crowds, unless
> they've been widened, and miles and miles of bumper to bumper creeping
> traffic was hard to take.

I had absolutely no problem flying into there yesterday! I did the Lake
Parker arrival, flew over the power station, was told to rock my wings
and flew the procedure. I was the only one on the runway (about 11AM).

This is a contrast with previous years, when there was usually something
(or someone) that got everything balled up, so I would have to make
several rounds of the lake before clearance to enter.

One thing that really bugs me, though, is the controller telling
everyone to put their gear down prior to entering the pattern. I simply
tell them "unable at this speed" and end it there. since I have only 100
mph gear speed.

Google