PDA

View Full Version : normally aspirated @ FL210

March 30th 06, 04:30 AM
http://www.glasairaviation.com/inthenews/BruceHammerRecord.htm

Congratulation to Bruce Hammer. Normally aspirated w/ fixed pitch prop
@ FL210. What do you think his MP & RPM were? % of HP?

March 30th 06, 05:32 AM
Ever hear of someone de-icing their acft with a garden hose? Me
neither...

Allen
March 30th 06, 05:43 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Ever hear of someone de-icing their acft with a garden hose? Me
> neither...

Not only heard of it but have seen it. A Cessna 206 used to haul freight
would come in and land. While the freight was being loaded the pilot would
walk around the airplane with a chunk of garden hose beating on the leading
edges to remove the 1" to 1 1/2" of ice that had accumulated. Then off he
would go to his next destination.

Allen

Al
March 30th 06, 05:48 PM
" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://www.glasairaviation.com/inthenews/BruceHammerRecord.htm
>
> Congratulation to Bruce Hammer. Normally aspirated w/ fixed pitch prop
> @ FL210. What do you think his MP & RPM were? % of HP?

Congratulations indeed. Quite an oddessey. The preparation alone for a trip
like this is a lot of work, let alone the flying. It looks like some rather
careful weather planning went into the trip as well. 27 miles to the gallon
at over 250 mph is quite a feat. How long did it take him to get back to San
Diego? I'd also be interested to find out if he made any modifications to
the engine/prop.

"I seriously doubt that any certified aircraft could even come close to
that kind of accomplishment," said Hammer. "Most of them are based on
technology that's so old, there's no way they could be competitive"

Well, I did it 25 years ago in a Mooney, SFO -> DCA, 2115nm, 8:04:25,
302mph, see C-1 and C-1.c

Al

Jim Macklin
March 30th 06, 06:31 PM
I think the glider altitude record is about 43,000 feet, so
with some good weather and updrafts, a properly leaned
engine so it produces maximum power possible, flying the
correct climb speed for the weight and altitude, sure. I
haven't looked, but power was probably about 35-40%.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Al" > wrote in message

| " > wrote in
message

oups.com...

http://www.glasairaviation.com/inthenews/BruceHammerRecord.htm

| > Congratulation to Bruce Hammer. Normally aspirated w/
fixed pitch prop
| > @ FL210. What do you think his MP & RPM were? % of HP?
| >

| Congratulations indeed. Quite an oddessey. The
preparation alone for a trip
| like this is a lot of work, let alone the flying. It looks
like some rather
| careful weather planning went into the trip as well. 27
miles to the gallon
| at over 250 mph is quite a feat. How long did it take him
to get back to San
| Diego? I'd also be interested to find out if he made any
modifications to
| the engine/prop.
|
| "I seriously doubt that any certified aircraft could
even come close to
| that kind of accomplishment," said Hammer. "Most of them
are based on
| technology that's so old, there's no way they could be
competitive"

| Well, I did it 25 years ago in a Mooney, SFO -> DCA,
2115nm, 8:04:25,
| 302mph, see C-1 and C-1.c
|
| Al

Jim Macklin
March 30th 06, 11:31 PM
Temperature of the air 30 degrees, sun shining brightly,
water temperature in hose 50 degrees will remove ice. With
colder temperatures, you need some anti-freeze in the last
water spray.

Normal deicing is with hot, 180 -200 degree water. If there
is falling precip, a final spray of anti-ice fluid to
prevent ice formation.

Personally, either a warm hanger or Florida are the best
method for handling ice on the airframe.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

> wrote in message
ups.com...
would
| walk around the airplane with a chunk of garden hose
beating on the
| leading edges to remove the 1" to 1 1/2" of ice that had
| accumulated.<<<<
|
| Uh, ok. I assumed (incorrectly, I suppose) that there
would be *water*
| coming out of said hose?

Google