PDA

View Full Version : Cracked ribs

Jack Allison
March 30th 06, 05:05 AM
Piper has a new service bulletin, SB1161 that calls for inspection of
the rib just inboard of the landing gear and aft of the main spar.

http://www.newpiper.com/company/Publications/SB%201161%20Rib%20Assy%20Insp-Mod.pdf

The SB requires putting the plane on jacks and removing the gear side
brace and bracket.

As 04T is in for the annual, we figured it was a good time to have the
SB performed. It turns out we have cracks on both sides of the rib and
they're bad enough that the repair kit announced in the SB can't be
used. Solution: two new ribs. Cost for parts: 1.1 AMU. Labor is
unknown at the moment but the shop is putting together an estimate.

At least I can split the repair bill three ways...but it's still gonna
put a dent in the flying funds.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Jack Allison
March 30th 06, 05:06 AM
Jack Allison wrote:

Oops...meant to post in r.a.o...bah, stupid fingers!

> Piper has a new service bulletin, SB1161 that calls for inspection of
> the rib just inboard of the landing gear and aft of the main spar.
>
> http://www.newpiper.com/company/Publications/SB%201161%20Rib%20Assy%20Insp-Mod.pdf
>

> The SB requires putting the plane on jacks and removing the gear side
> brace and bracket.
>
> As 04T is in for the annual, we figured it was a good time to have the
> SB performed. It turns out we have cracks on both sides of the rib and
> they're bad enough that the repair kit announced in the SB can't be
> used. Solution: two new ribs. Cost for parts: 1.1 AMU. Labor is
> unknown at the moment but the shop is putting together an estimate.
>
> At least I can split the repair bill three ways...but it's still gonna
> put a dent in the flying funds.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane
Arrow N2104T

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Jay Honeck
March 30th 06, 04:47 PM
> > Piper has a new service bulletin, SB1161 that calls for inspection of
> > the rib just inboard of the landing gear and aft of the main spar.

> > As 04T is in for the annual, we figured it was a good time to have the
> > SB performed. It turns out we have cracks on both sides of the rib and
> > they're bad enough that the repair kit announced in the SB can't be
> > used. Solution: two new ribs. Cost for parts: 1.1 AMU. Labor is
> > unknown at the moment but the shop is putting together an estimate.

Augh! That really, really sucks, Jack.

Two good things:

1. It sounds like the kind of thing that only gets worse over time.
You are wise to get it over and done with now.

2. You caught it far enough before OSH as to not interfere with your
trip. (Well, unless your shop REALLY sucks.) THAT could have ruined
your whole summer.

I'll bet this problem is going to rival the Lycoming crankshaft AD by
the time all is said and done. There are a LOT of Piper retracts out
there.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jim Burns
March 30th 06, 05:16 PM
Bummer on the rib.
Glad you did the inspection though.
After the repair is done you'll sleep better.
Jim

"Jack Allison" > wrote in message
. ..
> Jack Allison wrote:
>

> Oops...meant to post in r.a.o...bah, stupid fingers!
>
> > Piper has a new service bulletin, SB1161 that calls for inspection of
> > the rib just inboard of the landing gear and aft of the main spar.

http://www.newpiper.com/company/Publications/SB%201161%20Rib%20Assy%20Insp-Mod.pdf

> > The SB requires putting the plane on jacks and removing the gear side
> > brace and bracket.
> >
> > As 04T is in for the annual, we figured it was a good time to have the
> > SB performed. It turns out we have cracks on both sides of the rib and
> > they're bad enough that the repair kit announced in the SB can't be
> > used. Solution: two new ribs. Cost for parts: 1.1 AMU. Labor is
> > unknown at the moment but the shop is putting together an estimate.
> >
> > At least I can split the repair bill three ways...but it's still gonna
> > put a dent in the flying funds.
> >

> --
> Jack Allison
> PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane
> Arrow N2104T
>
> "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth
> with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there
> you will always long to return"
> - Leonardo Da Vinci
>
> (Remove the obvious from address to reply via e-mail)

Larry Dighera
March 30th 06, 05:30 PM
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:05:00 -0800, Jack Allison
> wrote in
>::

>Solution: two new ribs. Cost for parts: 1.1 AMU.

Have you researched the cost of used ribs?

JohnH
March 30th 06, 09:29 PM
Larry Dighera wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:05:00 -0800, Jack Allison
> > wrote in
> >::
>
>> Solution: two new ribs. Cost for parts: 1.1 AMU.
>
> Have you researched the cost of used ribs?

Wouldn't metal fatigue be an issue?

Too much time on your hands? Waste it here!
www.crazydatingstories.com
www.crazykidstories.com
www.crazywarstories.com

cjcampbell
March 31st 06, 04:00 AM
Jack Allison wrote:
..

> As 04T is in for the annual, we figured it was a good time to have the
> SB performed. It turns out we have cracks on both sides of the rib and
> they're bad enough that the repair kit announced in the SB can't be
> used. Solution: two new ribs. Cost for parts: 1.1 AMU. Labor is
> unknown at the moment but the shop is putting together an estimate.

Man, that is just painful.

Edwin Johnson
March 31st 06, 07:00 AM
On 2006-03-30, Jay Honeck > wrote:
>> > Piper has a new service bulletin, SB1161 that calls for inspection of
>> > the rib just inboard of the landing gear and aft of the main spar.
>
>> > As 04T is in for the annual, we figured it was a good time to have the
>> > SB performed. It turns out we have cracks on both sides of the rib and

Bad luck Jay. Do they have a theory as to how/why the cracks developed?

....Edwin
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, there you
long to return."-- da Vinci ... www.shreve.net/~elj

Jack Allison
March 31st 06, 07:07 AM
>>Have you researched the cost of used ribs?
>

> Wouldn't metal fatigue be an issue?

A potential problem with used ribs is how old they are. Newer ribs with
the proper date code don't require the inspection. Replacing the ribs
does the same as applying the repair kit...no more inspection necessary.

IMHO, used parts are ok for some things...but not for this job on our
plane. I'd rather put brand new ribs in despite the higher cost.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane
Arrow N2104T

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Jack Allison
March 31st 06, 07:14 AM
Jay Honeck wrote:
> Augh! That really, really sucks, Jack.
Yes, suckage level is extremely high. Right at the one year ownership
point too. Oh well, I'll have some great show and tell pictures for
Oshkosh. What an excuse to have folks crawl around in the grass under
my plane :-)

> Two good things:
>
> 1. It sounds like the kind of thing that only gets worse over time.
> You are wise to get it over and done with now.
Yep, and if it becomes an AD, I'd expect we will have permanently
complied by replacing the ribs.

> 2. You caught it far enough before OSH as to not interfere with your
> trip. (Well, unless your shop REALLY sucks.) THAT could have ruined
> your whole summer.
Also very true.

> I'll bet this problem is going to rival the Lycoming crankshaft AD by
> the time all is said and done. There are a LOT of Piper retracts out
> there.

It's going to be interesting to see how many folks opt for performing
the SB and how many find cracks. I only know of one other aircraft that
found cracks (Dick Russ's Lance)...but it's still very early with this
one.

I'm also very interested to see if this does become an AD.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane
Arrow N2104T

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Jack Allison
March 31st 06, 07:34 AM
Edwin Johnson wrote:

> Bad luck Jay. Do they have a theory as to how/why the cracks developed?
>
> ...Edwin
Hey Edwin...I have no background data on this but would love to find some.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane
Arrow N2104T

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Larry Dighera
March 31st 06, 11:23 AM
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:14:31 -0800, Jack Allison
> wrote in
>::

>It's going to be interesting to see how many folks opt for performing
>the SB and how many find cracks.

If we're discussing PA28's, there was a mandatory service bulletin for
inspection of the wing spars that required removal of the wing tanks
issued around August 1996, IIRC. Have you had that inspection
performed?

Montblack
March 31st 06, 09:44 PM
("Jack Allison" wrote)
> Yes, suckage level is extremely high. Right at the one year ownership
> point too. Oh well, I'll have some great show and tell pictures for
> Oshkosh. What an excuse to have folks crawl around in the grass under my
> plane :-)

"...suckage level is extremely high."

Agreed! :-(

I'll have to gauge your temperature in a few months before we decide to
offer ribs at the Rec.Aviation N40 cookout this year.

Good luck harboring your AMU's.

Montblack

john smith
April 1st 06, 01:06 AM
> IMHO, used parts are ok for some things...but not for this job on our
> plane. I'd rather put brand new ribs in despite the higher cost.

Unless the new ribs are of a new/better design, won't they also crack
with time?

Jack Allison
April 1st 06, 04:52 AM
Larry Dighera wrote:

> If we're discussing PA28's, there was a mandatory service bulletin for
> inspection of the wing spars that required removal of the wing tanks
> issued around August 1996, IIRC. Have you had that inspection
> performed?

SB 1006...yep, it was done a couple years ago. IMHO, this is a
mandatory SB to perform as part of buying a PA28.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane
Arrow N2104T

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Jack Allison
April 1st 06, 04:54 AM
john smith wrote:

> Unless the new ribs are of a new/better design, won't they also crack
> with time?

There is a date code on the newer ribs that exempts them from
inspection. Whether that means they're designed differently, thicker,
or what, I'm not sure.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane
Arrow N2104T

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Jack Allison
April 1st 06, 05:11 AM
Montblack wrote:

> I'll have to gauge your temperature in a few months before we decide to
> offer ribs at the Rec.Aviation N40 cookout this year.
So long as you don't charge $.55 AMUs plus $.05 AMU crating fee per rib,
cook up all the ribs you want (or have Joe cook 'em up!

> Good luck harboring your AMU's.

I think I'll have to rob the flying fund for the next few months.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane
Arrow N2104T

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Roger
April 1st 06, 09:14 AM
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:06:32 -0800, Jack Allison
> wrote:

>Jack Allison wrote:
>

>Oops...meant to post in r.a.o...bah, stupid fingers!
>
>> Piper has a new service bulletin, SB1161 that calls for inspection of
>> the rib just inboard of the landing gear and aft of the main spar.

That really should be for the pilots who do full stall landings from
10 feet up.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>> http://www.newpiper.com/company/Publications/SB%201161%20Rib%20Assy%20Insp-Mod.pdf
>>

>> The SB requires putting the plane on jacks and removing the gear side
>> brace and bracket.
>>
>> As 04T is in for the annual, we figured it was a good time to have the
>> SB performed. It turns out we have cracks on both sides of the rib and
>> they're bad enough that the repair kit announced in the SB can't be
>> used. Solution: two new ribs. Cost for parts: 1.1 AMU. Labor is
>> unknown at the moment but the shop is putting together an estimate.
>>
>> At least I can split the repair bill three ways...but it's still gonna
>> put a dent in the flying funds.

Google