PDA

View Full Version : My next medical

John Huthmaker
March 30th 06, 07:21 AM
So this coming Tuesday I get to enjoy having 3 wisdom teath extracted (For
some reason I never grew a fourth one). Yes-I cant wait! So do I have to
put this on my next medical application as "Surgeries"? I will be going to
see an oral surgeon to have him cut out one that has never come through the
gums, and I will be put under (a first for me). Of course I have no plans
to do any flying for the 5-7 days I expect to be laid up medicated. I know
it is nothing that I could be denied a medical for considering that most
people have their wisdom teath removed, but realistically do I need to put
it on my next medical application?

--
John Huthmaker
PPL-SEL P-28-161

http://www.cogentnetworking.com

Jim Macklin
March 30th 06, 08:16 AM
report it. After you're off the medication, fly a dual
flight with a climb to altitude to make sure there are no
trapped gas pockets. If there are the pain will let you
know. You might need the other pilot to fly if you have
pain.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"John Huthmaker" > wrote in message
link.net...
| So this coming Tuesday I get to enjoy having 3 wisdom
teath extracted (For
| some reason I never grew a fourth one). Yes-I cant wait!
So do I have to
| put this on my next medical application as "Surgeries"? I
will be going to
| see an oral surgeon to have him cut out one that has never
come through the
| gums, and I will be put under (a first for me). Of course
I have no plans
| to do any flying for the 5-7 days I expect to be laid up
medicated. I know
| it is nothing that I could be denied a medical for
considering that most
| people have their wisdom teath removed, but realistically
do I need to put
| it on my next medical application?
|
| --
| John Huthmaker
| PPL-SEL P-28-161
|
| http://www.cogentnetworking.com

NW_PILOT
March 30th 06, 08:28 AM
Try having 2 removed then 2 weeks later having another 2 removed with just
local no gas!

"John Huthmaker" > wrote in message
link.net...
> So this coming Tuesday I get to enjoy having 3 wisdom teath extracted (For
> some reason I never grew a fourth one). Yes-I cant wait! So do I have to
> put this on my next medical application as "Surgeries"? I will be going
> see an oral surgeon to have him cut out one that has never come through
the
> gums, and I will be put under (a first for me). Of course I have no plans
> to do any flying for the 5-7 days I expect to be laid up medicated. I
know
> it is nothing that I could be denied a medical for considering that most
> people have their wisdom teath removed, but realistically do I need to put
> it on my next medical application?
>
> --
> John Huthmaker
> PPL-SEL P-28-161
>
> http://www.cogentnetworking.com

Jim Macklin
March 30th 06, 08:41 AM
If you do it half the first time, you probably won't do the
second half.

"NW_PILOT" > wrote in
message ...
| Try having 2 removed then 2 weeks later having another 2
removed with just
| local no gas!
|

| "John Huthmaker" > wrote in message

link.net...
| > So this coming Tuesday I get to enjoy having 3 wisdom
teath extracted (For
| > some reason I never grew a fourth one). Yes-I cant
wait! So do I have to
| > put this on my next medical application as "Surgeries"?
I will be going
| > see an oral surgeon to have him cut out one that has
never come through
| the
| > gums, and I will be put under (a first for me). Of
course I have no plans
| > to do any flying for the 5-7 days I expect to be laid up
medicated. I
| know
| > it is nothing that I could be denied a medical for
considering that most
| > people have their wisdom teath removed, but
realistically do I need to put
| > it on my next medical application?
| >
| > --
| > John Huthmaker
| > PPL-SEL P-28-161
| >
| > http://www.cogentnetworking.com

Grumman-581
March 30th 06, 09:35 AM
"NW_PILOT" > wrote in message
> Try having 2 removed then 2 weeks later having another 2 removed with just
> local no gas!

When I was in the Navy, they yanked all 4 of mine... Nothing wrong with 'em,
but I was originally designated to go subs... Since subs don't have dentists
aboard, they yank the wisdom teeth as a precaution... Didn't make a ****in'
bit of sense... I told the doctor that with this type of logic, they would
amputate my arms and legs to ensure that I don't get them broken... Local
anesthesia (xylocain)... Walk back across base to the barracks, back to work
the next day...

Grumman-581
March 30th 06, 09:36 AM
"NW_PILOT" > wrote in message
> Try having 2 removed then 2 weeks later having another 2 removed with just
> local no gas!

He's only got 3 to remove, not 4...

Cub Driver
March 30th 06, 11:42 AM
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 06:21:36 GMT, "John Huthmaker" >
wrote:

> So do I have to
>put this on my next medical application as "Surgeries"?

I think I'd put it on the extended remarks space after Jan. 1, 2006:
Dr Primary Care - routine care. Then April 1, 2006: Dr Root Canal -
dental extractions. Something like that.

Or maybe not! I don't put dental or eyeglass doc visits down. Should
I?

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Denny
March 30th 06, 01:10 PM
Don't ask - Don't tell!

denny

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
March 30th 06, 01:57 PM
John Huthmaker wrote:
> So this coming Tuesday I get to enjoy having 3 wisdom teath extracted (For
> some reason I never grew a fourth one). Yes-I cant wait! So do I have to
> put this on my next medical application as "Surgeries"? I will be going to
> see an oral surgeon to have him cut out one that has never come through the
> gums, and I will be put under (a first for me). Of course I have no plans
> to do any flying for the 5-7 days I expect to be laid up medicated. I know
> it is nothing that I could be denied a medical for considering that most
> people have their wisdom teath removed, but realistically do I need to put
> it on my next medical application?

Report it. It's nothing that is going to affect your medical one way or the
other but it might if you don't report it. As for the guys who seem to worry
about anesthesia vs getting the medical... don't sweat it. I've had well over a
dozen surgeries and still qualify.

Heart transplant? Sure, that might affect you elegibility. But wisdom teeth?
Never!

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

RomeoMike
March 30th 06, 04:12 PM
I think you are thinking of trapped gas after fillings are put in teeth.
In this case the air can't be readily reabsorbed and might expand at
altitude. After an extraction, any "gas" (air) would be reabsorbed
through the surrounding soft tissues and/or bone.

Jim Macklin wrote:

> trapped gas pockets.

Jim Macklin
March 30th 06, 05:30 PM
No, that is one possible reason with a filling, but surgery
and extractions can heal over leaving an abscess and that
could be a very painful problem. When my wisdom teeth were
removed, the roots actually penetrated the sinus cavities.
For several weeks I could have salt water run through from
my mouth to my nose by dipping my head. This was not a
problem flying, it was even more venting. But I would want
to have a flight test before I was the only pilot on the
plane.

Gas would be reabsorbed if enough time passed, but if there
was any gas it would expand during a climb faster than it
would be absorbed, think the bends.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"RomeoMike" > wrote in message
|I think you are thinking of trapped gas after fillings are
put in teeth.
| In this case the air can't be readily reabsorbed and
might expand at
| altitude. After an extraction, any "gas" (air) would be
reabsorbed
| through the surrounding soft tissues and/or bone.
|
| Jim Macklin wrote:
|
| > trapped gas pockets.

RomeoMike
March 30th 06, 05:50 PM
An abscess is one thing, trapped air another. You were referring to the
latter in your first post. Any trapped air from an extraction is going
to be long gone by the time one is fit to fly after multiple extractions
requiring the use of post op pain meds and a recuperation period.
Situation not similar to the bends at all. No gas is coming out of solution.

Jim Macklin wrote:
> No, that is one possible reason with a filling, but surgery
> and extractions can heal over leaving an abscess and that
> could be a very painful problem. When my wisdom teeth were
> removed, the roots actually penetrated the sinus cavities.
> For several weeks I could have salt water run through from
> my mouth to my nose by dipping my head. This was not a
> problem flying, it was even more venting. But I would want
> to have a flight test before I was the only pilot on the
> plane.
>
> Gas would be reabsorbed if enough time passed, but if there
> was any gas it would expand during a climb faster than it
> would be absorbed, think the bends.

Jim Macklin
March 30th 06, 06:21 PM
OK, you're right, no possible way tissue can heal over and
create a pocket, trapping air/gas in the jaw. All pilots
should plan on taking their wife and kids [husband or
significant other too] on their first flight as soon as they
feel good a week after the surgery. No need to a "test
flight" to check for any pain in flight.

The bends is gas in solution coming out of the tissue/blood
faster than it can be exhaled. Of course, bacteria in a
closed pocket might be producing gas at a rate that is
absorbed and exhaled , but that evolved gas would expand
with altitude. But you're right, no possible reason to make
a comparison.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"RomeoMike" > wrote in message
| An abscess is one thing, trapped air another. You were
referring to the
| latter in your first post. Any trapped air from an
extraction is going
| to be long gone by the time one is fit to fly after
multiple extractions
| requiring the use of post op pain meds and a recuperation
period.
| Situation not similar to the bends at all. No gas is
coming out of solution.

| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > No, that is one possible reason with a filling, but
surgery
| > and extractions can heal over leaving an abscess and
that
| > could be a very painful problem. When my wisdom teeth
were
| > removed, the roots actually penetrated the sinus
cavities.
| > For several weeks I could have salt water run through
from
| > my mouth to my nose by dipping my head. This was not a
| > problem flying, it was even more venting. But I would
want
| > to have a flight test before I was the only pilot on the
| > plane.
| >
| > Gas would be reabsorbed if enough time passed, but if
there
| > was any gas it would expand during a climb faster than
it
| > would be absorbed, think the bends.

RomeoMike
March 30th 06, 09:44 PM
Jim Macklin wrote:
> OK, you're right, no possible way tissue can heal over and
> create a pocket, trapping air/gas in the jaw.

I know you're trying to be facetious but that is correct...by the time
that wound is healed any gas is gone, not that there really would have
been much gas in there anyway because that hole gets filled in by
clotted blood and fibrin and starts to organize before the gum is healed
shut. Any gas got absorbed. The body just doesn't allow an empty
air-filled space to persist with rare exception.

> The bends is gas in solution coming out of the tissue/blood
> faster than it can be exhaled.

Certainly not the situation in this scenario.

Of course, bacteria in a
> closed pocket might be producing gas at a rate that is
> absorbed and exhaled , but that evolved gas would expand
> with altitude. But you're right, no possible reason to make
> a comparison.

Most infections are not gas producing. The ones that are cause life
threatening illness. You'll be too sick to even think about flying.
Probably if you even have a non-gas-producing infection in a closed
pocket (called an abscess) you will not feel like flying. You would
likely be in pain.

John Huthmaker
March 30th 06, 11:25 PM
Correct. My body is some strange sort of science experiment. God only gave
me 3 wisdom teath. Im opting to do all at once because as stated in a
latter post if I did one or two on the first trip, I probably wouldnt return
for the remaining.

--

"Grumman-581" > wrote in message
> "NW_PILOT" > wrote in message
>> Try having 2 removed then 2 weeks later having another 2 removed with
>> just
>> local no gas!
>
> He's only got 3 to remove, not 4...

Jim Macklin
March 31st 06, 12:26 AM
At least you don't have six fingers or a tail!

Be sure to get some nice head shots, for Halloween picture
postcards.

Ice helps with the swelling and you will need the pain
killers for 2 or 3 days if the teeth are in solid and
require some major work. But it is not as bad as it was
years ago. Modern dentistry is almost painless, as long as
you can't hear the damn drill.

wrote in message
| > "NW_PILOT" > wrote
in message
| >> Try having 2 removed then 2 weeks later having another
2 removed with
| >> just
| >> local no gas!
| >
| > He's only got 3 to remove, not 4...

Montblack
March 31st 06, 04:39 AM
("John Huthmaker" wrote)
> Correct. My body is some strange sort of science experiment. God only
> gave me 3 wisdom teath. Im opting to do all at once because as stated in
> a latter post if I did one or two on the first trip, I probably wouldnt
> return for the remaining.

Dentist said, these days he doesn't see many 46 year olds with all of their
wisdom teeth. I've still got mine ...x(4).

Montblack
"Is it safe?" :-o

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
March 31st 06, 12:43 PM
Montblack wrote:
> Dentist said, these days he doesn't see many 46 year olds with all of their
> wisdom teeth. I've still got mine ...x(4).

As do I at 52. I was told by a dentist back when I was 17 to have mine
removed... could have had it paid for by CHAMPUS. But did I? Nooooooo..... Now
God only knows what it'd cost. I'm still resisting the urge.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Aluckyguess
March 31st 06, 09:42 PM
I was at work the next day
"Jim Macklin" > wrote in message
> If you do it half the first time, you probably won't do the
> second half.
>

> "NW_PILOT" > wrote in
> message ...
> | Try having 2 removed then 2 weeks later having another 2
> removed with just
> | local no gas!
> |

> | "John Huthmaker" > wrote in message
> |
> link.net...
> | > So this coming Tuesday I get to enjoy having 3 wisdom
> teath extracted (For
> | > some reason I never grew a fourth one). Yes-I cant
> wait! So do I have to
> | > put this on my next medical application as "Surgeries"?
> I will be going
> | > see an oral surgeon to have him cut out one that has
> never come through
> | the
> | > gums, and I will be put under (a first for me). Of
> course I have no plans
> | > to do any flying for the 5-7 days I expect to be laid up
> medicated. I
> | know
> | > it is nothing that I could be denied a medical for
> considering that most
> | > people have their wisdom teath removed, but
> realistically do I need to put
> | > it on my next medical application?
> | >
> | > --
> | > John Huthmaker
> | > PPL-SEL P-28-161
> | >
> | > http://www.cogentnetworking.com

GE
April 1st 06, 03:33 PM
I used to do some work with the local oral surgery training program. One
day, I went into their office and they had no patients in the waiting area.
The two chief residents got a curious look and then pulled me into the chair
and yanked all four of mine. Afterwards, they called my wife and told her I
was headed home and to take care of me. The very next day, I took them all
to lunch and ate with them, no problem. It was easy. Total cost, lunch and a
1/2 gal of whiskey!

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" > wrote in message
> Montblack wrote:
>> Dentist said, these days he doesn't see many 46 year olds with all of
>> their
>> wisdom teeth. I've still got mine ...x(4).
>

> As do I at 52. I was told by a dentist back when I was 17 to have mine
> removed... could have had it paid for by CHAMPUS. But did I?
> Nooooooo..... Now God only knows what it'd cost. I'm still resisting the
> urge.
>

> --
> Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Jose
April 1st 06, 04:26 PM
> I used to do some work with the local oral surgery training program. One
> day, I went into their office and they had no patients in the waiting area.
> The two chief residents got a curious look and then pulled me into the chair
> and yanked all four of mine.

Slow day?

Remind me not to get a job in a dentist's office. :)

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

GE
April 1st 06, 05:47 PM
Remember why they call it "practicing" medicine. They have to practice on
somebody!

Actually, mine needed to come out, I just wasn't expecting it that day.

"Jose" > wrote in message
m...
>> I used to do some work with the local oral surgery training program. One
>> day, I went into their office and they had no patients in the waiting
>> area. The two chief residents got a curious look and then pulled me into
>> the chair and yanked all four of mine.
>
> Slow day?
>
> Remind me not to get a job in a dentist's office. :)
>
> Jose
> --
> Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
> for Email, make the obvious change in the address.

cpw
April 2nd 06, 03:01 AM
Reminds me of the joke...don't ever tell a 2 wisdom teeth story...the 4
wisdom teeth guys will never let it stand...YOU GOT NOTHIN' 2 WISDOM
TOOTH GUY!
CPW

NW_PILOT
April 3rd 06, 12:12 AM
I had mine done 1.5 years ago at age 28 by a regular dentist local
anesthetic 2 1 day 2 weeks later the other 2 Cost was $350.00 per extraction
+ X rays Panoramic $$$$ Now if I went to the Oral Surgeon and had all 4
removed at once Would ahve been double or 3 times that ammount.

Steven L. Rhine
CP ASEL & AMEL Instrument Airplane
CFI (Student)

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" > wrote in message
> Montblack wrote:
> > Dentist said, these days he doesn't see many 46 year olds with all of
their
> > wisdom teeth. I've still got mine ...x(4).
>

> As do I at 52. I was told by a dentist back when I was 17 to have mine
> removed... could have had it paid for by CHAMPUS. But did I?
Nooooooo..... Now
> God only knows what it'd cost. I'm still resisting the urge.
>

> --
> Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
April 4th 06, 11:58 AM
Roger wrote:
> Same for Colonoscopicy (sp?). You're gonna do WHAT with that thing?
> The lights go out and you wake up an hour or two later. Of course you
> told them your life's history while out and all the dirty little
> secrets and where you hide your money and porn magazines.

No you don't. What you really do is fart a lot, to the great amusement of
everybody on the other side of the curtains. So nobody knows where you stashed
your money but they might be able to guess what you've had to eat.

> If it was done as routine screening they don't care. You list it as
> routine screening and every one is happy. Ah, the indignities of
> age...and no you don't go flying right after having one of those due
> to the little nap. OTOH I didn't notice any after effects from the
> anesthetic.

I have driven after a root canal done after I preloaded myself with 15mg of
Vicodin (hydrocodone) without any problems but I don't think I'd consider flying
until the next day. And while I've never had a colonoscopy, I have had an EGD
(esophageal gastric duodenoscopy), which is where they stick the tube down your
throat and look at your guts from the other end. Like the colonoscopy, it's
done under conscious sedation. They call it conscious but as far as most people
can tell, it sure seems like lights out. In any case, I did *not* drive home
after that; I was driven by a friend. And if I wouldn't drive, I sure as hell
wouldn't fly.

But I would the next day.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Mortimer Schnerd, RN
April 4th 06, 12:13 PM
Roger wrote:
> I busted a leg ice skating. (broke the outer bone right off) Had to
> have it screwed back together. They never even asked to see the
> X-Ray. OTOH I had the cast off in 4 weeks for physical therapy, and
> was back ice skating in 60. I had a removable walking cast. Once the
> swelling had gone down I had no restrictions as to driving ... or what
> ever.

WTH? If they plated and screwed it, what did you need a cast for? It's already
held together by the hardware.

> I never did have a limp. (except with the cast on)
> Only thing is, if I fly commercial I have to carry a copy of the X-Ray
> as I still have the metal plate and screws in my leg.

I don't see why. I carried two plates with 13 screws in my arm and 4 screws in
my hip without ever setting off a metal detector *anywhere*. Now I'm minus one
of the plates, 6 of the screws in my arm and the 4 screws in my hip but I've
gained a prosthetic hip. Still haven't ever set off a metal detector. I figure
that must be some sort of urban legend. I've heard of others setting them off
but never talked to anyone who it happened to themselves. And I work on an
orthopedics / neuro unit, so I talk to a *lot* of folks with hardware in them.

> They tell me I'll have to have it out some day, but it doesn't bother
> so I've figured, why bother.

There is some evidence to suggest that long term existence of hardware may lead
to osteoporosis but it is hardly definitive. Frankly, if it ain't broke, don't
fix it. The only reason I got rid of some of my hardware was that it remained
infected for all the years I had it and it started draining spontaneously every
couple of weeks. I can't be dripping from my arm while working on a surgical
floor so it had to be fixed... and it was. No more problems. The other
remaining plate has been fine and I have no plans to remove it... don't even
know it's there most of the time. My hip got arthritic and I have a new one now
so I ditched the screws in the old one.

All of my orthopedic procedures have been well documented with the FAA. I did
not mention the EGD as it was just part of a workup for another procedure rather
than because of a particular health problem. The subsequent surgery was
disclosed though...

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Michael
April 4th 06, 05:04 PM
Report it - nobody cares.

Three times I've reported surgeries to repair broken bones (parachute
accidents - I guess I just don't learn) and the most I've ever been
asked was to stand on one leg (the one I reported).

Michael

April 4th 06, 09:51 PM
Aluckyguess wrote:
>I was at work the next day

I did one on each side, upper jaw, on the same day, local anesthetic
only.
I didn't realize he was even done removing the first one, but the
second one took two people.
Next day? I was unable to go to school (military), so I and a friend
went up to Napa valley all day. I looked like a super-chipmunk, with
those swollen jaws, but by mid-afternoon the pain was gone....
Nothing to do with flying, other than my attitude for that one day.

Morgans
April 4th 06, 10:19 PM
"
>> Only thing is, if I fly commercial I have to carry a copy of the X-Ray
>> as I still have the metal plate and screws in my leg.
>

> I don't see why. I carried two plates with 13 screws in my arm and 4
> screws in my hip without ever setting off a metal detector *anywhere*.

Right. I have 4 big screws and two rods in my back, and don't set off any
metal detectors.

Plates and screws and other surgical hardware is either titanium, or high
grade stainless steel, both of which are non magnetic. You will not set off
any metal detectors, I'll bet. Have you gone through any pre-flight
screening, and set off the alarm?
--
Jim in NC

Morgans
April 5th 06, 09:47 PM
> wrote

> I did one on each side, upper jaw, on the same day, local anesthetic
> only.
> I didn't realize he was even done removing the first one, but the
> second one took two people.
> Next day? I was unable to go to school (military), so I and a friend
> went up to Napa valley all day.

I had mine cut out, only three, and 2 of 3 had to be chiseled out. I was
back at work, for my warehouse job (college summer job) at 8 PM, that night.
No big deal.
--
Jim in NC

Google