PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 172 turns 50

April 5th 06, 03:49 PM
This came right from the Cessna website:

>>Lakeland, Fla., April 4, 2006 - When the Cessna model 170B taildragger added the patented Land-O-Matic tricycle landing gear in 1956, the venerable 172 was born. Since then, nearly 40,000 Skyhawks have been produced, making it the highest-volume commercial airplane ever made...<<

....Snip Skyhawk history lesson...

I love the "Land-O-Matic" gear designation. Kinda fancy name for a
nosewheel - patented, even. How many new 172 pilots macked up their
airplanes thinking it would really land the plane automatically? <G>
Clearly, this was before the current proliferation of lawyers.

Gig 601XL Builder
April 5th 06, 05:01 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> This came right from the Cessna website:
>
>>>Lakeland, Fla., April 4, 2006 - When the Cessna model 170B taildragger
>>>added the patented Land-O-Matic tricycle landing gear in 1956, the
>>>venerable 172 was born. Since then, nearly 40,000 Skyhawks have been
>>>produced, making it the highest-volume commercial airplane ever made...<<
>
> ...Snip Skyhawk history lesson...
>
> I love the "Land-O-Matic" gear designation. Kinda fancy name for a
> nosewheel - patented, even. How many new 172 pilots macked up their
> airplanes thinking it would really land the plane automatically? <G>
> Clearly, this was before the current proliferation of lawyers.

Probably a number approaching zero. I was also before the stupidity that was
also caused by the current proliferation of lawyers.

texasflyer
April 5th 06, 05:51 PM
I recently had the opportunity to fly a 1956 year model Cessna 172. It
does not fly like our 172L at all. It leaps off the ground at a mere
50MPH indicated, climbs at what appears to be a Vx of about 57MPH and a
Vy of about 65MPH. It only cruises at about 110MPH ( ~95 kts) unless
you rev the holy snot out of the engine. All speeds confirmed with a
handheld GPS so I know the ASI wasn't just reading low. Stalls were
very gentle and no wing drop tendency compared to the 172L which is
abrupt and will drop a wing in a hurry if the ball isn't centered.
With 40 degrees worth of manual lever-operated barn doors hanging off
the backs of the wings, landings can be about as short as if it were a
big Cub. A very pleasing aircraft to fly and it was amazing to think
that I was flying around in a machine a half-century old!

April 5th 06, 07:49 PM
How'd the Land-O-Matic work for ya?? <G>

April 5th 06, 07:55 PM
I've heard this from no less than 3 people that Cessna 172 flies like a
pig. (compared to planes like Grumman anyway).

Therefore the 172 is the biggest testament that pigs can fly!

Ross Richardson
April 5th 06, 08:43 PM
Works for me. I am a Razorback (U or ARK) alumnae and own a C-172F.

Ross
KSWI

M wrote:

> I've heard this from no less than 3 people that Cessna 172 flies like a
> pig. (compared to planes like Grumman anyway).
>
> Therefore the 172 is the biggest testament that pigs can fly!

george
April 5th 06, 10:08 PM
Ross Richardson wrote:
> Works for me. I am a Razorback (U or ARK) alumnae and own a C-172F.
>
> Ross
> KSWI
>
> M wrote:
>
> > I've heard this from no less than 3 people that Cessna 172 flies like a
> > pig. (compared to planes like Grumman anyway).
> >
> > Therefore the 172 is the biggest testament that pigs can fly!

I want a better seat locking but apart from that the C172 is my second
favourite 4 seater

Dylan Smith
April 6th 06, 01:54 PM
On 2006-04-05, texasflyer > wrote:
> I recently had the opportunity to fly a 1956 year model Cessna 172. It
> does not fly like our 172L at all. It leaps off the ground at a mere
> 50MPH indicated, climbs at what appears to be a Vx of about 57MPH and a
> Vy of about 65MPH.

So it essentially flies like a 170B.

One thing I noticed - a 170A can take more crosswind than a 172N (we
landed both within minutes - the 172N pretty much ran out of rudder but
the 170A had plenty left). Of course the N model has a swept tail which
is reputed to not have the rudder authority that the original straight
tail had.

> big Cub. A very pleasing aircraft to fly and it was amazing to think
> that I was flying around in a machine a half-century old!

Well, the Auster we fly at Andreas was built in November 1945 - 11 years
before your C172 :-)

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

April 6th 06, 02:36 PM
Jay H. said:

>>>Of course, one could also take the pessimistic viewpoint and bemoan the
lack of innovation for those 50 years. <<<

I guess there's two ways to look at that - the basic design was so
good, it's survived 50 years with updating (production figures prove
this to be a success) *or* Cessna's been building the same airplane
for 50 years and it's overdue for a major revamp.

I'm curious to see Cessna's "Cirrus killer" that we read about a few
months ago. The company has been quiet about it since the initial
announcement, although they might have more news to share at Sun N Fun
this year(?) They must've figured it was time to do something new, as
Cirrus & Columbia were/are making waves in the light GA segment.

Ross Richardson
April 6th 06, 04:20 PM
OK, you got me there, Jim. Fingers and keyboard are not working well.

University of Arkansas
Razorback
Male
BSEE
Class of '69
C-172F
180 hp

RST Engineering wrote:

> Hm.
>
> U "or" ARK? thought it was U *of* AR.
>
> Alumnae? You female? Alumnus (singular) talking about yourself or alumni
> (if talking about a group of male graduates).
>
> Hm.
>
> Sounds like a typical UOA gradjuuate to me.
>
> {;-)
>

> Jim
> (San Diego State University, '67 alumnus, and we learnt our stuff good.)
>

> "Ross Richardson" > wrote in message
>

>>Works for me. I am a Razorback (U or ARK) alumnae and own a C-172F.

Ross Richardson
April 6th 06, 04:26 PM
Jay, I can see the ground without having to look forward, backward, or
tip a wing. (I have Cherokee time). But, then again, the turn to final
is a bit obstructed.

Jay Honeck wrote:

>>A very pleasing aircraft to fly and it was amazing to think
>>that I was flying around in a machine a half-century old!
>

> It really is amazing to think that powered flight is only a bit over a
> century old, and the Skyhawk has been flying for almost half that time.
> Cessna really got it right.
>
> Of course, one could also take the pessimistic viewpoint and bemoan the
> lack of innovation for those 50 years. But it's truly hard to argue
> with success.
>
> Now, if only they would put the danged wing on the proper side!
>
> :-)
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

nrp
April 6th 06, 06:06 PM
As an engineer looking at the 170B/172 from a mechanical design
standpoint, I particularily admire the roller-track system for the
flaps. Notice how the track etc system is arranged so that the flap
extends with a single pushrod (on each side of the A/C) yet is fully
restrained in the yaw direction.

Another feature that was new then was the centered and locked nosewheel
when the nose strut is extended.

Jose
April 6th 06, 09:33 PM
> Now, if only they would put the danged wing on the proper side!

So, fly it upside down. :)

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.

Dave Stadt
April 6th 06, 09:36 PM
"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> A very pleasing aircraft to fly and it was amazing to think
>> that I was flying around in a machine a half-century old!
>
> It really is amazing to think that powered flight is only a bit over a
> century old, and the Skyhawk has been flying for almost half that time.
> Cessna really got it right.
>
> Of course, one could also take the pessimistic viewpoint and bemoan the
> lack of innovation for those 50 years. But it's truly hard to argue
> with success.
>
> Now, if only they would put the danged wing on the proper side!
> :-)

The wing's OK it's the little wheel they got all wrong.

> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993