PDA

View Full Version : Glider only museums

April 7th 06, 05:16 AM
Last Saturday marked the official opening of the Southwest Soaring
Museum, George Applebay's long dreamed of display of gliders and
soaring memorabilia related to the American Southwest. It is a very
interesting place to spend a few hours and looks like it is going to
develop into a first class museum. It already has a large library and a
restoration shop.

About 20 of the collections 30 gliders are on display. Factory produced
as well as homebuilt, several hang gliders are included.

Looking over the display got me to thinking about museums that are
solely dedicated to gliders. How many are there?

I know of 4.
1. The National Soaring Museum; Elmira, New York, USA.
2. The Southwest Soaring Museum; Moriarty, New Mexico, USA.
3. Silent Wings Museum; Lubbock, Texas, USA.
4. German Sailplane Museum; Wasserkuppe, Germany.

Every other aviation museum I have been to, or know of, has a mix of
airplanes and gliders. Sometimes the gliders are quite historic and
interesting but they reside in a museum with a mixed display.

Can anyone add to the list the name and location of glider only
museums?

Robert Mudd
Moriarty, New Mexico, USA

Peter Smith