PDA

View Full Version : Flying through TFR

April 14th 06, 01:03 AM
If a VIP TFR says "AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN THE
FOLLOWING AREAS UNLESS OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED BY ATC IN CONSULTATION WITH
THE DOMESTIC EVENTS NETWORK (DEN)", does an IFR clearance thru the TFR
qualifies as "authorized by ATC"?

In this particular case, I'm referring to TFR
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html#6/5316 that covers the PAE
airport. As my luck turns out, I might have to land there right during
the time when TFR is active this Sunday.

Peter Duniho
April 14th 06, 08:55 AM
"M" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> In this particular case, I'm referring to TFR
> http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html#6/5316 that covers the PAE
> airport. As my luck turns out, I might have to land there right during
> the time when TFR is active this Sunday.

The way I read the AOPA info you linked to, "ATC authorization may be
provided for GA". To me, that says that you *might* be able to get ATC
authorization into the TFR (presumably for the purpose of landing or taking
off from PAE). Of course, they would have the option of refusing a
clearance. But with a TFR like that lasting 19 hours, I can't imagine they
are actually going to keep the airport closed for the entire time.

That said, the weather's gonna suck all day Sunday anyway. Hope you have
deice equipment on your airplane. :)

Pete

Roger
April 14th 06, 09:14 AM
On 13 Apr 2006 17:03:00 -0700, "M" > wrote:

>If a VIP TFR says "AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN THE
>FOLLOWING AREAS UNLESS OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED BY ATC IN CONSULTATION WITH
>THE DOMESTIC EVENTS NETWORK (DEN)", does an IFR clearance thru the TFR
>qualifies as "authorized by ATC"?

Normally as they have it listed even VFR into and out of the airport
is probably permitted. As I recall you just need to make sure they
give you permission to enter the TFR unlike those big ones with the 10
mile no fly zone.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>In this particular case, I'm referring to TFR
>http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html#6/5316 that covers the PAE
>airport. As my luck turns out, I might have to land there right during
>the time when TFR is active this Sunday.

Dave S
April 14th 06, 03:31 PM
M wrote:
> If a VIP TFR says "AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN THE
> FOLLOWING AREAS UNLESS OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED BY ATC IN CONSULTATION WITH
> THE DOMESTIC EVENTS NETWORK (DEN)", does an IFR clearance thru the TFR
> qualifies as "authorized by ATC"?
>
> In this particular case, I'm referring to TFR
> http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/notams.html#6/5316 that covers the PAE
> airport. As my luck turns out, I might have to land there right during
> the time when TFR is active this Sunday.

Call the controlling facility TODAY before close of business and get
their honest opinion on what to expect. I'm sure FSS somewhere will have
the facility number, or the AFD will.

Dave

April 27th 06, 06:17 AM
M wrote:
> As my luck turns out, I might have to land there right during
> the time when TFR is active this Sunday.

So, what happened?

April 27th 06, 07:07 AM
M wrote:
> As my luck turns out, I might have to land there right during
> the time when TFR is active this Sunday.

So, what happened?

April 27th 06, 03:07 PM
Well, my schedule was a bit off for other reasons, so by the time I
flew the TFR was no long covering the airport. I did see the Dick
Cheney's motorcade on the freeway and his escort helicopter flying over
my house at about 200ft though.

wrote:
> M wrote:
> > As my luck turns out, I might have to land there right during
> > the time when TFR is active this Sunday.
>
> So, what happened?

Google