PDA

View Full Version : BSA - Aviation Explorers

C. Massey
April 15th 06, 01:55 PM
My son is in Boy Scouts and interested in aviation. His scout leader (or
even the BSA) doesn't have very much information on the explorer program so
I have decided to take the task on myself.

I spoke with the president of our local EAA chapter and he is very
interested in getting an explorer post started within his EAA chapter.

Does anyone have any advice, concerns, knowledge, web links, etc of the
aviation explorers and/or the in's and out's of getting a post started?

Thanks and any assistance would be appreciated...

Chuck

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0615-3, 04/14/2006
Tested on: 4/15/2006 7:55:29 AM

Dave S
April 15th 06, 02:51 PM
> Does anyone have any advice, concerns, knowledge, web links, etc of the
> aviation explorers and/or the in's and out's of getting a post started?

You need more than just the one kid.. Check in with the local area
council for the BSA and see what they have to offer. They surely have a
kit/help package for people wanting to start up something.

Interface with other local youth oriented groups for ideas and guidance:
CAP, regular BSA troops,

See who else is interested...

What are the goals? (as in establish some) Flying only? Fly out camping?
Building a project from plans?

Google for other aviation explorer units..

Dave

C. Massey
April 15th 06, 03:20 PM
"Dave S" > wrote in message
ink.net...

>> Does anyone have any advice, concerns, knowledge, web links, etc of the
>> aviation explorers and/or the in's and out's of getting a post started?
>>

> You need more than just the one kid.. Check in with the local area council
> for the BSA and see what they have to offer. They surely have a kit/help
> package for people wanting to start up something.
>
> Interface with other local youth oriented groups for ideas and guidance:
> CAP, regular BSA troops,
>
> See who else is interested...
>
> What are the goals? (as in establish some) Flying only? Fly out camping?
> Building a project from plans?
>
> Google for other aviation explorer units..
>
> Dave

Thanks Dave for the reply...

I realize that there needs to be more than 1 kid to get a group started. In
fact, from my understanding, there needs to be a minimum of 10 to get a post
started

I am still waiting for the BSA to contact me with information regarding
starting a post.

I was thinking of getting with some of the local middle and high schools to
see what we can do to see what kind of interest there would be as well as
the local scout troops. Also I think that I will get with the EAA and get
the mailing list for my area and send out information.

As far as the goals that you mentioned, I really don't know as of yet. I was
thinking of when we do get a group of kids that is interested, to see what
they might have in mind. I basically am wanting to get kids into aviation,
if it is flying, mechanic, flight attendant or any other aspect of aviation.

I have spent quite a few hours the last several days googling for other
posts and any other information, but there just isn't much to see... That is
why I was asking for your help.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0615-3, 04/14/2006
Tested on: 4/15/2006 9:20:44 AM

Morgans
April 15th 06, 04:37 PM
"C. Massey" > wrote

> My son is in Boy Scouts and interested in aviation. His scout leader (or
> even the BSA) doesn't have very much information on the explorer program
> so I have decided to take the task on myself.

There is a major presence at OSH, with a camp on the grounds of over 100
Aviation Explorers.

Go to google, and do a search. There are some local posts listed that would
give you a reply, and there is a Sportys picture of the base camp. I'm even
in the big group picture! <g>
--
Jim in NC

john smith
April 15th 06, 04:57 PM
I don't have the information at hand, go to the EAA website and search
for the contact information for EAA Chapter 9, Columbus OH.
They have an affiliated Aviation Explorer Post.

C. Massey
April 15th 06, 05:05 PM
"john smith" > wrote in message
>I don't have the information at hand, go to the EAA website and search
> for the contact information for EAA Chapter 9, Columbus OH.
> They have an affiliated Aviation Explorer Post.

Hey John... Thanks for the reply... I have already ran across that one.
Looks like an active post, but again, just not much info on the website.

Maybe I should just start emailing the different posts and speak with them.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0615-3, 04/14/2006
Tested on: 4/15/2006 11:05:18 AM

Morgans
April 15th 06, 10:01 PM
"C. Massey" > wrote >

> Hey John... Thanks for the reply... I have already ran across that one.
> Looks like an active post, but again, just not much info on the website.
>
> Maybe I should just start emailing the different posts and speak with
> them.

That would be a good plan.
--
Jim in NC

AJ
April 16th 06, 02:31 AM
Chuck:

Try http://www.aviationexplorerbase.com/,
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Falls/8826/explorers.html,
http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/falls/8826/airexplorer.html.

These should help you with ideas.

AJ

C. Massey
April 16th 06, 02:45 AM
"AJ" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Chuck:
>
> Try http://www.aviationexplorerbase.com/,
> http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Falls/8826/explorers.html,
> http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/falls/8826/airexplorer.html.
>
> These should help you with ideas.
>
> AJ

Thanks for the links... I will check them out later. Currently they have
exceeded transfer limits...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0615-3, 04/14/2006
Tested on: 4/15/2006 8:45:16 PM

Morgans
April 16th 06, 03:07 AM
"AJ" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Chuck:
>
> Try http://www.aviationexplorerbase.com/,
> http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Falls/8826/explorers.html,
> http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/falls/8826/airexplorer.html.
>
> These should help you with ideas.

Looks like we pegged out the bandwidth on the second two pages. Not
available at this time.

Morgans
April 16th 06, 08:47 PM
"C. Massey" > wrote

> My son is in Boy Scouts and interested in aviation. His scout leader (or
> even the BSA) doesn't have very much information on the explorer program
> so I have decided to take the task on myself.

C, reply to me via back channels. (e-mail) I have the e-mail address of our
post leader, who started the post, and is an all around good egg, who said
he would answer you questions.

> I spoke with the president of our local EAA chapter and he is very
> interested in getting an explorer post started within his EAA chapter.

Our EAA chapter is also our sponsor.\

Take out the capital letters, which also put together, are junk.

Jim in NC

C. Massey
April 17th 06, 05:41 AM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "C. Massey" > wrote
>
>> My son is in Boy Scouts and interested in aviation. His scout leader (or
>> even the BSA) doesn't have very much information on the explorer program
>> so I have decided to take the task on myself.
>

> C, reply to me via back channels. (e-mail) I have the e-mail address of
> our post leader, who started the post, and is an all around good egg, who
> said he would answer you questions.
>
>> I spoke with the president of our local EAA chapter and he is very
>> interested in getting an explorer post started within his EAA chapter.
>
> Our EAA chapter is also our sponsor.\
>
> Take out the capital letters, which also put together, are junk.
>
> Jim in NC

Thanks Jim... I will shoot an email...

Chuck

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0615-3, 04/14/2006
Tested on: 4/16/2006 11:41:56 PM

Google