PDA

View Full Version : Third Class to Sport Pilot

Dick
April 19th 06, 11:30 AM
What has anyone actually experienced in making the change from a third class
medical to the Sport Pilots "driver" license?

My insurance company has said "no problem unless the policy specifically
states a third class medical is needed" (it doesn't).

Thanks, Dick

ET
April 19th 06, 03:45 PM
"Dick" > wrote in news:yjo1g.4484$sh.2172@trnddc08:

> What has anyone actually experienced in making the change from a third
> class medical to the Sport Pilots "driver" license?
>
> My insurance company has said "no problem unless the policy
> specifically states a third class medical is needed" (it doesn't).
>
> Thanks, Dick

Other than checking with your insurance company, there is no
"transition" to make.... The last valid day of your medical you are a
private pilot, the next day you may fly using Sport Pilot Privileges...
(and limitations).

This would also apply to a private pilot being diagnosed with a
condition that would normally ground you until another visit to your
AME.

This, of course does not mean just because a PP has a valid drivers
license, they should just go fly.... (or drive for that matter).

--
-- ET >:-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

Mike Schumann
April 19th 06, 09:56 PM
Technically, I don't think you are allowed to fly sport pilot if you know
you have a condition that would disqualify you from having a third class
medical. You also can't fly sport pilot if you have had a medical denied.

Having a drivers license per se is not enough. You have to believe that you
are in good enough health to fly.

Mike Schumann

"ET" > wrote in message
> "Dick" > wrote in news:yjo1g.4484$sh.2172@trnddc08:
>
>> What has anyone actually experienced in making the change from a third
>> class medical to the Sport Pilots "driver" license?
>>
>> My insurance company has said "no problem unless the policy
>> specifically states a third class medical is needed" (it doesn't).
>>
>> Thanks, Dick
>>

> Other than checking with your insurance company, there is no
> "transition" to make.... The last valid day of your medical you are a
> private pilot, the next day you may fly using Sport Pilot Privileges...
> (and limitations).
>
> This would also apply to a private pilot being diagnosed with a
> condition that would normally ground you until another visit to your
> AME.
>
> This, of course does not mean just because a PP has a valid drivers
> license, they should just go fly.... (or drive for that matter).
>
> --
> -- ET >:-)
>
> "A common mistake people make when trying to design something
> completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete
> fools."---- Douglas Adams

Jose
April 19th 06, 10:24 PM
> Technically, I don't think you are allowed to fly sport pilot if you know
> you have a condition that would disqualify you from having a third class
> medical.

My understanding is that you can't fly if you have a condition which
prevents you from flying safely - this is not the same as having a
condition which would nix a class III.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.

AJ
April 20th 06, 02:17 AM
No, but it does put the pilot on the honor system -- with all the good
and bad that such a system allows.

AJ

BTIZ
April 20th 06, 02:37 AM
define "insurance company".. I take it that this is the company that insures
your aircraft?

are you flying and continuing to fly an aircraft that qualifies for LSA
status even thought it may already be certified above LSA status.

As another poster said, on the last day of the month, you are a PP and can
fly what you've been flying, on the 1st of the next month you are a Sport
Pilot and can only fly aircraft that qualify under the LSA rules, 2 seat, hp
or speed limits etc, and can only fly them to the LSA limitations... no
night, no flights above 10,000MSL, no flights to certain airports without
additional endorsements...

no here lies another question... if you "were" a PP, and now flying under
SP, you were at one time qualified to fly into airports that are now
limited.. and the other SP restrictions.. can you still do that without the
SP log book endorsements needed by an SP?

BT

"Dick" > wrote in message
> What has anyone actually experienced in making the change from a third
> class medical to the Sport Pilots "driver" license?
>
> My insurance company has said "no problem unless the policy specifically
> states a third class medical is needed" (it doesn't).
>
> Thanks, Dick

Jose
April 20th 06, 03:42 AM
>> My understanding is that you can't fly if you have a condition which prevents you from flying safely - this is not the same as having a condition which would nix a class III.

> No, but it does put the pilot on the honor system -- with all the good
> and bad that such a system allows.

.... and that is the whole point of the sport pilot non-medical.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.

Jerry
April 20th 06, 04:06 AM
If you are a PP flying as a SP, you do not need to get endorsements to fly
into Class B,C, or D airspace - you are already qualified.

Jerry in NC

"BTIZ" > wrote in message
> define "insurance company".. I take it that this is the company that
> insures your aircraft?
>
> are you flying and continuing to fly an aircraft that qualifies for LSA
> status even thought it may already be certified above LSA status.
>
> As another poster said, on the last day of the month, you are a PP and can
> fly what you've been flying, on the 1st of the next month you are a Sport
> Pilot and can only fly aircraft that qualify under the LSA rules, 2 seat,
> hp or speed limits etc, and can only fly them to the LSA limitations... no
> night, no flights above 10,000MSL, no flights to certain airports without
> additional endorsements...
>
> no here lies another question... if you "were" a PP, and now flying under
> SP, you were at one time qualified to fly into airports that are now
> limited.. and the other SP restrictions.. can you still do that without
> the SP log book endorsements needed by an SP?
>
> BT
>
> "Dick" > wrote in message
>> What has anyone actually experienced in making the change from a third
>> class medical to the Sport Pilots "driver" license?
>>
>> My insurance company has said "no problem unless the policy specifically
>> states a third class medical is needed" (it doesn't).
>>
>> Thanks, Dick

Dave Stadt
April 20th 06, 04:30 AM
"AJ" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> No, but it does put the pilot on the honor system -- with all the good
> and bad that such a system allows.
>
> AJ

Glider pilots have been under an identical rule for decades and the 'bads'
are nearly nonexistant.

BTIZ
April 20th 06, 05:56 AM
"Jerry" > wrote in message
> If you are a PP flying as a SP, you do not need to get endorsements to fly
> into Class B,C, or D airspace - you are already qualified.
>
> Jerry in NC

That's what I understood... just thought I'd got other opinions..
BT

ET
April 20th 06, 04:33 PM
Jose > wrote in
om:

>> Technically, I don't think you are allowed to fly sport pilot if you
>> know you have a condition that would disqualify you from having a
>> third class medical.
>
> My understanding is that you can't fly if you have a condition which
> prevents you from flying safely - this is not the same as having a
> condition which would nix a class III.
>
> Jose

That understanding is incorrect... the part of the fars that mention
medical exams, and certain medical conditions SPECIFIALCALLY exclude glider
and sport pilots.

If you need it, I can quote it <just no time to dig it up at the moment>.

--
-- ET >:-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

Jose
April 20th 06, 05:10 PM
>> My understanding is that you can't fly if you have a condition which
>> prevents you from flying safely - this is not the same as having a
>> condition which would nix a class III.
>
> That understanding is incorrect... the part of the fars that mention
> medical exams, and certain medical conditions SPECIFIALCALLY exclude glider
> and sport pilots.

I don't see how that contradicts. Even though a SP is excluded from
having to meet specific medical requirements, they are not excluded from
having to meet =any= requriements. They are still prohibited from
flying when they are unfit to fly, as determined by the pilot himself or
herself. The pilot can have a condition which would nix a class III,
but still be safe to fly. This is why I disagree with:

>> Technically, I don't think you are allowed to fly sport pilot if you
>> know you have a condition that would disqualify you from having a
>> third class medical.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.

ET
April 20th 06, 05:19 PM
Jose > wrote in
t:

>>> My understanding is that you can't fly if you have a condition which
>>> prevents you from flying safely - this is not the same as having a
>>> condition which would nix a class III.
>>
>> That understanding is incorrect... the part of the fars that mention
>> medical exams, and certain medical conditions SPECIFIALCALLY exclude
>> glider and sport pilots.
>
> I don't see how that contradicts. Even though a SP is excluded from
> having to meet specific medical requirements, they are not excluded
> from having to meet =any= requriements. They are still prohibited
> from flying when they are unfit to fly, as determined by the pilot
> himself or herself. The pilot can have a condition which would nix a
> class III, but still be safe to fly. This is why I disagree with:
>

> Jose

Yup, your right, re-reading your first post, you were agreeing with
me.... <red face>...

--
-- ET >:-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

Cub Driver
April 21st 06, 10:36 AM
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:30:54 GMT, "Dick" > wrote:

>What has anyone actually experienced in making the change from a third class
>medical to the Sport Pilots "driver" license?
>
>My insurance company has said "no problem unless the policy specifically
>states a third class medical is needed" (it doesn't).

I've decided to do this when my current medical expires in December.
The insurance representative told me not to worry about the fact that
there's no check box on the application: "You're still a private
pilot, but you'll be flying under Sport Pilot rules."

Just to be on the safe side, I will write beside it that I am using
Sport Pilot privileges.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Cub Driver
April 21st 06, 10:40 AM
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:45:49 GMT, ET > wrote:

>Other than checking with your insurance company, there is no
>"transition" to make.... The last valid day of your medical you are a
>private pilot, the next day you may fly using Sport Pilot Privileges...
>(and limitations).

When this first applied, there was a squib in AOPA Pilot about a guy
in California who has a Special Issuance medical. It's good for one
year, and the tests he submits are processed and the medical issued by
the FAA in six months. He's not allowed to submit the paperback until
four months before he wants to renew, so every year there's two months
he can't fly. (I am quoting these times from memory; they may be off.)

So this year he flew his Piper Cub on Sport Pilot privileges during
the two-month hiatus, firing up his AT-6 Texan only after the medical
came through from the FAA.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Cub Driver
April 21st 06, 10:44 AM
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:37:00 -0700, "BTIZ" >
wrote:

>no here lies another question... if you "were" a PP, and now flying under
>SP, you were at one time qualified to fly into airports that are now
>limited.. and the other SP restrictions.. can you still do that without the
>SP log book endorsements needed by an SP?

I think the answer is yes, but it might be worthwhile getting a
specific endorsement for controlled airspace. (I assume that private
pilots don't get a specific sign-off for ATC? If they do, then that
sign-off ought to carry over to their life as a Sport Pilot.)

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

ET
April 21st 06, 04:55 PM
Cub Driver <usenet AT danford DOT net> wrote in
:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 18:37:00 -0700, "BTIZ" >
> wrote:
>
>>no here lies another question... if you "were" a PP, and now flying
>>under SP, you were at one time qualified to fly into airports that are
>>now limited.. and the other SP restrictions.. can you still do that
>>without the SP log book endorsements needed by an SP?
>
> I think the answer is yes, but it might be worthwhile getting a
> specific endorsement for controlled airspace. (I assume that private
> pilots don't get a specific sign-off for ATC? If they do, then that
> sign-off ought to carry over to their life as a Sport Pilot.)
>

> -- all the best, Dan Ford
>
> email: usenet AT danford DOT net
>
> Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
> Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
> In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Not needed, the regs specifically address this issue. it says, in
effect, a private pilot acting under sport pilot has already had the
airspace training needed, therefore does not require the endorsement
(you really already have the logged instruction time in your logbook as
a student)

--

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams

Google