PDA

View Full Version : An absolutely perfect VFR day

Jay Honeck
April 20th 06, 05:14 AM
The air was a perfect 70 degrees, with very little humidity. Sure, the
winds were kicking up a bit, from 220 at 10, gusts to 19 -- but that
just made things more sporting.

Best of all, we had no real plans, and no reason to be back before 5 PM
-- and it was only 9 AM. Does this describe a perfect day off, or
what?

Then, the posters for our upcoming "Big Kids Toy Show" airport
extravaganza in Iowa City (May 20-21, with fly-in breakfasts BOTH
days!) arrived, so -- voila! -- we had a mission!

It was time to go deliver posters, brochures, and schmooze FBOs...

So, it was off to Pella, Iowa (yes, where the windows are made) to see
the tulips (tulip festival is in a week or two) and to eat at Smoky Row
(cheeseburger chowder in a fresh-baked bread bowl, with a real
strawberry malt -- yum!). The airport manager's Lincoln Mountaineer
certainly provided a ride that was a cut above our usual "courtesy car"
experience, and, better yet, he let us put our posters all over his
FBO.

Then, it was off to Ottumwa, IA, home of the old WWII Naval Air
Station, where thousands of naval aviators earned their wings flying
the Yellow Peril, the Boeing Stearman Kaydet. Incredibly, even though
we hadn't been to OTM in over a year, they remembered us, and welcomed
us like long-lost family. THAT is what grass-roots aviation is all
about, boys and girls. Again, our posters went up like wall paper.

Finally, it was into Oskaloosa, IA -- an old "out field" built for the
Naval Air Station, back in WWII. It used to have the classic square
runway layout, but now two of the runways are long-since closed, and
one of the two remaining runways is just 1900 feet long. No bother --
the wind had kicked up to over 20 knots, and we were down and stopped
in less than 1000 feet, anyway.

This FBO was not nearly so friendly, with no one in the office, and
barely a nod from the wrench in the shop. Still, we were allowed to
display our wares as best we could, and were soon on our way.

Then, as we returned to Iowa City, my cell phone rang -- and it was
this group's own Michelle P. calling, inbound in her 53-foot-long
truck/Airstream combo rig, en route to Montana. So, we spent a most
enjoyable evening over Mexican food, discussing Maules, Montana, and
how funny Jim Weir looked back in 1967.... (She's staying in the
Apollo Suite, which is chock-full of Apollo space program stuff,
including some VERY spiffy pix of Jim Weir as a young Apollo engineer,
pocket protector and all!)

Anyone who knows Jim today would find it impossible to imagine him
wearing a tie -- but we've got living proof that it once happened,
right in the Apollo Suite!

(For proof, see
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/Photogallery2/ApolloSuite/sJimWeirArtwork%202-06.jpg
)

Could we have simply dropped the posters and brochures in the mail?
Sure. Would the airports have hung them up, and talked about the show,
or our hotel? Doubtful. And would we have had such fun? No way!

All in all, a most enjoyable day -- and one that could ONLY happen with
a GA aircraft.

Count your blessings, ladies and gents. If you're able to partake in
GA, you are feasting, indeed...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Dylan Smith
April 20th 06, 11:11 AM
On 2006-04-20, Jay Honeck > wrote:
> Then, the posters for our upcoming "Big Kids Toy Show" airport
> extravaganza in Iowa City (May 20-21, with fly-in breakfasts BOTH
> days!) arrived, so -- voila! -- we had a mission!

That's unfortunate - that conflicts with the dates for the rec.aviation
flyin at Pinckneyville!

Jay Honeck
April 20th 06, 04:16 PM
> That's unfortunate - that conflicts with the dates for the rec.aviation
> flyin at Pinckneyville!

Oh, crap. You mean I'm going to miss that thing AGAIN???

I can't believe I live so close, and yet, so far...

Someday!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Ross Richardson
April 20th 06, 06:35 PM
Darn, I need to work for you and assist you in all these work related
projects. The trouble is it is so cold up there in the winter and it
last so long.

Ross
KSWI

Jay Honeck wrote:

> The air was a perfect 70 degrees, with very little humidity. Sure, the
> winds were kicking up a bit, from 220 at 10, gusts to 19 -- but that
> just made things more sporting.
>
> Best of all, we had no real plans, and no reason to be back before 5 PM
> -- and it was only 9 AM. Does this describe a perfect day off, or
> what?

SNIP all the other stuff for the dial up customers ;)

> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Newps
April 20th 06, 09:37 PM
Jay Honeck wrote:

> Then, as we returned to Iowa City, my cell phone rang -- and it was
> this group's own Michelle P. calling, inbound in her 53-foot-long
> truck/Airstream combo rig, en route to Montana. So, we spent a most
> enjoyable evening over Mexican food, discussing Maules, Montana, and
> how funny Jim Weir looked back in 1967.... (She's staying in the
> Apollo Suite, which is chock-full of Apollo space program stuff,
> including some VERY spiffy pix of Jim Weir as a young Apollo engineer,
> pocket protector and all!)

Tell her to get comfortable. The Black Hills got 59 inches of snow the
last couple of days. They'll need a little time to plow themselves out.

Jay Honeck
April 21st 06, 12:09 AM
> Tell her to get comfortable. The Black Hills got 59 inches of snow the
> last couple of days. They'll need a little time to plow themselves out.

Wow -- that is her next planned stop!

I just told her the news...thanks for the head's up...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Google