PDA

View Full Version : ID this plane

Flyingmonk
April 24th 06, 12:52 AM
Sorry, no pic. I was just watching a show on Alaska and this radial
engined amphibian pulls up to dock, only for a second and then they
shoed other stuff 'bout Alaska. The aircraft was bigger than the
DeHavalin Beaver and had multiple round windows six or eight on the
side unlike the Beaver with the van like side door, else it looked like
a 'bigger' Beaver. What is it?

Tried googling amphibian images, no luck. If I see it again I'm sure
I'd regognize it as what I saw on TV.

The Mon k

Bob Moore
April 24th 06, 01:00 AM
Flyingmonk wrote

> Sorry, no pic. I was just watching a show on Alaska and this radial
> engined amphibian pulls up to dock, only for a second and then they
> shoed other stuff 'bout Alaska. The aircraft was bigger than the
> DeHavalin Beaver and had multiple round windows six or eight on the
> side unlike the Beaver with the van like side door, else it looked like
> a 'bigger' Beaver. What is it?

Try DHC-3 Otter

Jim Burns
April 24th 06, 01:02 AM
http://www.ketchumair.com/aircraft-otter-dhc-3.html

Otter.

I was watching the same show on the Travel Channel.

Jim

"Flyingmonk" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sorry, no pic. I was just watching a show on Alaska and this radial
> engined amphibian pulls up to dock, only for a second and then they
> shoed other stuff 'bout Alaska. The aircraft was bigger than the
> DeHavalin Beaver and had multiple round windows six or eight on the
> side unlike the Beaver with the van like side door, else it looked like
> a 'bigger' Beaver. What is it?
>
> Tried googling amphibian images, no luck. If I see it again I'm sure
> I'd regognize it as what I saw on TV.
>
> The Mon k

Steven P. McNicoll
April 24th 06, 01:05 AM
"Flyingmonk" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Sorry, no pic. I was just watching a show on Alaska and this radial
> engined amphibian pulls up to dock, only for a second and then they
> shoed other stuff 'bout Alaska. The aircraft was bigger than the
> DeHavalin Beaver and had multiple round windows six or eight on the
> side unlike the Beaver with the van like side door, else it looked like
> a 'bigger' Beaver. What is it?

The De Havilland Otter was essentially a big Beaver.

john smith
April 24th 06, 01:17 AM
In article et>,
"Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote:

> "Flyingmonk" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Sorry, no pic. I was just watching a show on Alaska and this radial
> > engined amphibian pulls up to dock, only for a second and then they
> > shoed other stuff 'bout Alaska. The aircraft was bigger than the
> > DeHavalin Beaver and had multiple round windows six or eight on the
> > side unlike the Beaver with the van like side door, else it looked like
> > a 'bigger' Beaver. What is it?

> The De Havilland Otter was essentially a big Beaver.

Which was followed by the Twin Otter...
Which was followed by the Turbine Twin Otter...

Flyingmonk
April 24th 06, 01:48 AM
Yep, that's it! The Otter. Thank you Bob, Jim, Steve 'n John for the
quick responses.

The Monk

Steven P. McNicoll
April 24th 06, 02:04 AM
"john smith" > wrote in message
> In article et>,
> "Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote:
>

>> The De Havilland Otter was essentially a big Beaver.
>>

> Which was followed by the Twin Otter...
> Which was followed by the Turbine Twin Otter...

I believe the Otter was followed by the Caribou which was followed by the
Buffalo which was followed by the Twin Otter which was always
turbine-powered and then DHC couldn't think of any more names for their fine
aircraft.

John Gaquin
April 24th 06, 03:48 AM
"Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote in message

> ...... which was followed by the Twin Otter ......

.....and then came the Shorts Skyvan, which was developed by mounting wings
on the crate the Twin Otter was shipped in. :-)

Paul Tomblin
April 24th 06, 02:28 PM
In a previous article, john smith > said:
>In article et>,
> "Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote:
>> "Flyingmonk" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > side unlike the Beaver with the van like side door, else it looked like
>> > a 'bigger' Beaver. What is it?
>
>> The De Havilland Otter was essentially a big Beaver.
>
>Which was followed by the Twin Otter...
>Which was followed by the Turbine Twin Otter...

Twin Otter was turbine (PT-6) powered to start with. I believe the
turbine Beaver started off as an after market conversion, but DHC started
doing them off the production line like that. Same with the Otters -
originally radial engined, many after market conversions to turboprop. I
don't remember DHC doing a turbo-Otter themselves, but they might have.

--
Paul Tomblin > http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a

.Blueskies.
April 24th 06, 11:38 PM
"Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "john smith" > wrote in message
>> In article et>,
>> "Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote:
>>

>>> The De Havilland Otter was essentially a big Beaver.
>>>

>> Which was followed by the Twin Otter...
>> Which was followed by the Turbine Twin Otter...
>>

> I believe the Otter was followed by the Caribou which was followed by the Buffalo which was followed by the Twin Otter
> which was always turbine-powered and then DHC couldn't think of any more names for their fine aircraft.

Dash 8?

Steven P. McNicoll
April 25th 06, 01:45 AM
".Blueskies." > wrote in message
om...

> Dash 8?

And Dash 7. After the DHC-6 Twin Otter they stopped naming their airplanes.

Google