PDA

View Full Version : Cool aerobatic video in a Sukhoi SU-29.

Flyingmonk
April 24th 06, 01:27 AM
http://www.dpcars.net/su2.mpg

Cool aerobatic video in a Sukhoi SU-29 (2 1/2 minutes long).

The Monk

Morgans
April 24th 06, 03:50 AM
"Flyingmonk" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://www.dpcars.net/su2.mpg
>
> Cool aerobatic video in a Sukhoi SU-29 (2 1/2 minutes long).

Yeah, that is pretty cool, but it would have been nice if the camera man
knew where to point for each move.

One of the things that amazed me the most, was how that big ole' radial
seemed to effortlessly pull it around, almost at a lope, and pretty much the
same RPM, all of the way to the landing.
--
Jim in NC

Flyingmonk
April 24th 06, 04:33 AM
>Yeah, that is pretty cool, but it would have been nice if the camera man
knew where to point for each move.

Probably helmet mounted...

The Monk

Viperdoc
April 24th 06, 12:41 PM
What's the big deal about the video? The pilot was doing sportsman level
acro, which is pretty entry level, and not only that, it looked liked most
of the lines he drew were off. His recoveries on the hammerhead were off
axis, as were the rolls. None of it was very crisp.

Most of the pulls to the vertical were pretty low g and not that sharp. He
didn't load the g before he pulled, and his pulls were pretty lightweight.

If he flew like that in a contest it doesn't look like he would score that
highly. He was flying nowhere near what the plane was capable of doing.

Morgans
April 25th 06, 04:38 AM
"Viperdoc" > wrote

> What's the big deal about the video? The pilot was doing sportsman level
> acro, which is pretty entry level, and not only that, it looked liked most
> of the lines he drew were off. His recoveries on the hammerhead were off
> axis, as were the rolls. None of it was very crisp.

OK, show us a video with all of the good moves that were lacking in this
one. Someone might say it was a "fantastic video," instead of just a cool
video.
--
Jim in NC

Viperdoc
April 25th 06, 12:36 PM
You can call it whatever you like- however the acro was pretty entry level
and not that crisp. It was certainly nowhere near what the airplane was
capable of doing.

My friends and I have tried this in the past, and from the cockpit it just
doesn't look that good -you just don't get a sense of the g forces on the
video. I ended up scratching the inside of the canopy of my Extra with the
helmet cam as well. If I had the computer savvy to make a streaming video I
could send it.

This summer we plan on doing some more video with a minicam mounted on a
strut of a Pitts, which may show more of the action.

I am far from an expert acro pilot, but it was obvious from the video that
the figures could have been flown more cleanly. You can call it cool, but
the flying just wasn't that good.

Morgans
April 26th 06, 01:45 AM
"Viperdoc" > wrote

> This summer we plan on doing some more video with a minicam mounted on a
> strut of a Pitts, which may show more of the action.
>
> I am far from an expert acro pilot, but it was obvious from the video that
> the figures could have been flown more cleanly. You can call it cool, but
> the flying just wasn't that good.

Agreed. It will be great to see your tape from the pitts.

Just ask, and you will get some help to stream it, I'll bet.
--
Jim in NC

Google