PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if you have too much time on your hands

AJ
April 24th 06, 11:20 PM
http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1145434732/AT-6_Harvards_on_Water

AJ

Kingfish
April 25th 06, 02:52 PM
Wow. How many T-6s do ya think ended up at the bottom of the lake
during filming? <G>

I saw the photos and first thought they were PhotoShopped but the video
is amazing.

Larry Dighera
April 25th 06, 03:18 PM
On 24 Apr 2006 15:20:27 -0700, "AJ" > wrote in
om>::

>http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1145434732/AT-6_Harvards_on_Water

Why doesn't this fall under § 91.13?

Gig 601XL Builder
April 25th 06, 03:39 PM
"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message
> On 24 Apr 2006 15:20:27 -0700, "AJ" > wrote in
> om>::
>
>>http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1145434732/AT-6_Harvards_on_Water
>
> Why doesn't this fall under § 91.13?

For the same reason lots of things done at airshows aren't.

Newps
April 25th 06, 03:43 PM
What's wrong with what they're doing?

Larry Dighera wrote:
> On 24 Apr 2006 15:20:27 -0700, "AJ" > wrote in
> om>::
>

>>http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1145434732/AT-6_Harvards_on_Water
>

> Why doesn't this fall under § 91.13?

Dudley Henriques
April 25th 06, 03:43 PM
"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message
> On 24 Apr 2006 15:20:27 -0700, "AJ" > wrote in
> om>::
>
>>http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1145434732/AT-6_Harvards_on_Water
>
> Why doesn't this fall under § 91.13?

The Flying Lions are a South African Team. The FAA has a long reach, but not
quite THAT far! :-)
Dudley Henriques

Wallace Berry
April 25th 06, 05:18 PM
In article om>,
"AJ" > wrote:

> http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1145434732/AT-6_Harvards_on_Water

The guy I bought my taildragger Flut-r-bug from would do this. He would
touch down on the water with the brakes locked (to throw up less spray).
He would ski right up to a gravel bar and roll out on dry land. He said
as long as you were above about 30 knots, it was just about like landing
on concrete. He claimed you would actually bounce if you touched down
too hard. Taking off again was a concern. You need enough room to get to
30 knots before hitting the water again. Apparently, this is a common
practice amongst bush pilots.

Darkwing
April 25th 06, 05:24 PM
"AJ" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1145434732/AT-6_Harvards_on_Water
>
> AJ

I've heard stories, but I thought they were bull****, wild.

DW

Bob Moore
April 25th 06, 05:31 PM
>> http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1145434732/AT-6_Harvards_on_Water

I did this a couple of times in my homebuilt Team "MiniMax".
The first time, I was unaware of it until a bystander called
it to my attention. I was flying low over the Ohio river at
the time. I did it again later in the day, this time deliberately.
Sure washed off the undercarrage. At cruise speed (55kts), it was
just like a wheel landing on turf.

Bob Moore

Robert M. Gary
April 25th 06, 05:48 PM
This is a technique that has been used by bush pilots for many years.
Many of the bush pilot's books discuss this.

Robert M. Gary
April 25th 06, 05:49 PM
> Why doesn't this fall under § 91.13?

That would have to do something careless or reckless. They aren't doing
anything that hasn't been done a thousand times before in Alaska.

-Robert

Larry Dighera
April 25th 06, 10:26 PM
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:39:54 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
<wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net> wrote in
>::

>For the same reason lots of things done at airshows aren't.

Oh, they have a waiver.

Larry Dighera
April 25th 06, 10:38 PM
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:43:45 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
> wrote in
et>::

>"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message
>> On 24 Apr 2006 15:20:27 -0700, "AJ" > wrote in
>> om>::
>>
>>>http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1145434732/AT-6_Harvards_on_Water
>>
>> Why doesn't this fall under § 91.13?
>
>The Flying Lions are a South African Team. The FAA has a long reach, but not
>quite THAT far! :-)
>Dudley Henriques

ICAO on the other hand...

Larry Dighera
April 25th 06, 10:39 PM
On 25 Apr 2006 06:52:03 -0700, "Kingfish" > wrote
in . com>::

>Wow. How many T-6s do ya think ended up at the bottom of the lake
>during filming? <G>

I think it's a function of wave height X pitch down. :-)

Dudley Henriques
April 25th 06, 11:00 PM
"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 14:43:45 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
> > wrote in
> et>::
>

>>"Larry Dighera" > wrote in message
>>> On 24 Apr 2006 15:20:27 -0700, "AJ" > wrote in
>>> om>::

>>> Why doesn't this fall under § 91.13?
>>
>>The Flying Lions are a South African Team. The FAA has a long reach, but
>>not
>>quite THAT far! :-)
>>Dudley Henriques
>>

> ICAO on the other hand...

Actually, you're not all that far off Dig. :-)
I have a good friend in SA who knows the lead pilot, Scully Levine quite
well. (They ALL are very good pilots BTW).
The team is getting some heat down in SA about this stunt from pilots within
the airshow community, but it's being allowed.
It's an old bush stunt really, and it can turn and bite you in the ass with
the blink of an eye, especially in something as heavy as a T6.
Dudley Henriques

Google