PDA

View Full Version : "Pearl Harbor" still sucks...

Jay Honeck
April 26th 06, 04:57 AM
Despite this fact, we had a great turnout for our second pilot's movie
night. Our invited friends included the owners of:

....a Bellanca Super Viking
....a '29 Travel Air Biplane
....a Super Cub
....a Swearingen SX-300
....an RV-10 kit (in progress...)
....a Glasair II
....a Rose Parakeet
....and one guy who (I swear) has owned one of everything, in his 80
years on this planet.

Needless to say, some serious hangar flying took place, both before and
after the flick. By popular request, our warm-up movies consisted of
30 minutes of stuff off of our aviation video website,
www.AlexisParkInn.com/aviation_videos.htm.

Everyone suffered through the movie's awful plot (without booing, I'm
glad to report) but we all reveled in the excellent P-40, Spitfire, and
Pearl Harbor battle scenes. Someone smuggled some beer into the
theater (again, dang it), and a good time was had by all!

BTW: We've only got five seats left for Bill Fox' SR-71 Blackbird talk
on Tuesday, May 30. If you're interested and can make it, email me --
first come, first served!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jim Macklin
April 26th 06, 05:26 AM
It isn't an aviation film, it is really pretty terrible, but
the first minute or so of Can Hieronymus Merkin Forget Mercy
Humpy and Find True Happiness has an SR 71 in-flight scene
that is worth seeing.

Battle of Britain
Tora, Tora, Tora
The Great Waldo Pepper
Spirit of St. Louis
Dam Busters
Island in the Sky
Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
no special order

Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
Hollywood movies?

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
| Despite this fact, we had a great turnout for our second
pilot's movie
| night. Our invited friends included the owners of:
|
| ...a Bellanca Super Viking
| ...a '29 Travel Air Biplane
| ...a Super Cub
| ...a Swearingen SX-300
| ...an RV-10 kit (in progress...)
| ...a Glasair II
| ...a Rose Parakeet
| ...and one guy who (I swear) has owned one of everything,
in his 80
| years on this planet.
|
| Needless to say, some serious hangar flying took place,
both before and
| after the flick. By popular request, our warm-up movies
consisted of
| 30 minutes of stuff off of our aviation video website,
| www.AlexisParkInn.com/aviation_videos.htm.
|
| Everyone suffered through the movie's awful plot (without
booing, I'm
| glad to report) but we all reveled in the excellent P-40,
Spitfire, and
| Pearl Harbor battle scenes. Someone smuggled some beer
into the
| theater (again, dang it), and a good time was had by all!
|
| BTW: We've only got five seats left for Bill Fox' SR-71
Blackbird talk
| on Tuesday, May 30. If you're interested and can make it,
email me --
| first come, first served!
| --
| Jay Honeck
| Iowa City, IA
| Pathfinder N56993
| www.AlexisParkInn.com
| "Your Aviation Destination"

Jim Logajan
April 26th 06, 05:51 AM
"Jim Macklin" > wrote:
> Battle of Britain
> Tora, Tora, Tora
> The Great Waldo Pepper
> Spirit of St. Louis
> Dam Busters
> Island in the Sky
> Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
> no special order
>

> Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
> Hollywood movies?

I'd add:

Twelve Oclock High

Found the following list, which is skewed to more modern flicks:
http://www.ducksoftware.com/movies/airplane.html

Jim Logajan
April 26th 06, 05:57 AM
"Jim Macklin" > wrote:
> Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
> Hollywood movies?

Ah - a couple more I overlooked:

"No Highway in the Sky," with Jimmy Stewart
"Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow" (Well I liked it!)

Bob Noel
April 26th 06, 06:42 AM
In article <3EC3g.8828$ZW3.8805@dukeread04>,
"Jim Macklin" > wrote:

> It isn't an aviation film, it is really pretty terrible, but
> the first minute or so of Can Hieronymus Merkin Forget Mercy
> Humpy and Find True Happiness has an SR 71 in-flight scene
> that is worth seeing.
>
> Battle of Britain
> Tora, Tora, Tora
> The Great Waldo Pepper
> Spirit of St. Louis
> Dam Busters
> Island in the Sky
> Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
> no special order
>

> Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
> Hollywood movies?

Not actually hollywood but: Piece of Cake

The Aviator
etc etc.

google on "Flying Movies", "Must have aviation movies", or
just simply "Movies" within rec.aviation.*

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

C. Massey
April 26th 06, 01:13 PM
"Jim Macklin" > wrote in message
> It isn't an aviation film, it is really pretty terrible, but
> the first minute or so of Can Hieronymus Merkin Forget Mercy
> Humpy and Find True Happiness has an SR 71 in-flight scene
> that is worth seeing.
>
> Battle of Britain
> Tora, Tora, Tora
> The Great Waldo Pepper
> Spirit of St. Louis
> Dam Busters
> Island in the Sky
> Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
> no special order
>

> Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
> Hollywood movies?

<snip>

Yeah... don't forget the greatest aviation classic of all time...

"Airplane"

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0617-2, 04/26/2006
Tested on: 4/26/2006 7:13:29 AM

Jim Macklin
April 26th 06, 01:45 PM
Very good choice.

.. .
wrote:
| > Battle of Britain
| > Tora, Tora, Tora
| > The Great Waldo Pepper
| > Spirit of St. Louis
| > Dam Busters
| > Island in the Sky
| > Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
| > no special order
| >

| > Anybody care to add to the list of good to great
airplane
| > Hollywood movies?
|
| I'd add:
|
| Twelve Oclock High
|
| Found the following list, which is skewed to more modern
flicks:
| http://www.ducksoftware.com/movies/airplane.html

Jim Macklin
April 26th 06, 01:48 PM
I like them both, even the sci-fi computer generated Sky
Captain was worth seeing once.

Strategic Air Command with Jimmy again, B36 and B47.

wrote:
| > Anybody care to add to the list of good to great
airplane
| > Hollywood movies?
|
| Ah - a couple more I overlooked:
|
| "No Highway in the Sky," with Jimmy Stewart
| "Sky Captain & the World of Tomorrow" (Well I liked it!)

Jim Macklin
April 26th 06, 01:49 PM
LOL, sort of like the C in Clooney.

"Dylan Smith" > wrote in message
| On 2006-04-26, Jay Honeck > wrote:
| > Needless to say, some serious hangar flying took place
|
| The 'f' in hangar flying is of course silent :-)
|
| --
| Yes, the Reply-To email address is valid.
| Oolite-Linux: an Elite tribute:
http://oolite-linux.berlios.de

Jim Macklin
April 26th 06, 01:52 PM
Assume crash positions!

The opening 3 minutes of AIRPORT, until the acting started.

"C. Massey" > wrote in message
. net...

| "Jim Macklin" > wrote
in message
| > It isn't an aviation film, it is really pretty terrible,
but
| > the first minute or so of Can Hieronymus Merkin Forget
Mercy
| > Humpy and Find True Happiness has an SR 71 in-flight
scene
| > that is worth seeing.
| >
| > Battle of Britain
| > Tora, Tora, Tora
| > The Great Waldo Pepper
| > Spirit of St. Louis
| > Dam Busters
| > Island in the Sky
| > Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
| > no special order
| >

| > Anybody care to add to the list of good to great
airplane
| > Hollywood movies?
| >

| <snip>
|

| Yeah... don't forget the greatest aviation classic of all
time...

| "Airplane"
|

| ---
| avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
| Virus Database (VPS): 0617-2, 04/26/2006
| Tested on: 4/26/2006 7:13:29 AM
| avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006 ALWIL Software.

AJ
April 26th 06, 02:48 PM
I like the oldies:

Eagle Squadron (1942) w/ Robert Stack & Diana Barrymore
Air Force (1943) w/ John Ridgely, Gig Young, Arthur Kennedy & Harry
Carey
and, of course, the classic: McHale's Navy Joins the Air Force (1965)

AJ

Dan Luke
April 26th 06, 03:09 PM
"Jim Logajan" > wrote in message > "Jim Macklin"
> wrote:
>> Battle of Britain
>> Tora, Tora, Tora
>> The Great Waldo Pepper
>> Spirit of St. Louis
>> Dam Busters
>> Island in the Sky
>> Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
>> no special order
>>

>> Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
>> Hollywood movies?
>
> I'd add:
>
> Twelve Oclock High

Amen. Best movie about military aviation ever.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

April 26th 06, 03:27 PM
In article >, "Dan Luke" > writes:

> "Jim Logajan" > wrote in message > "Jim Macklin"
> > wrote:
>>> Battle of Britain
>>> Tora, Tora, Tora
>>> The Great Waldo Pepper
>>> Spirit of St. Louis
>>> Dam Busters
>>> Island in the Sky
>>> Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
>>> no special order
>>>

>>> Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
>>> Hollywood movies?
>>
>> I'd add:
>>
>> Twelve Oclock High
>
> Amen. Best movie about military aviation ever.
>
> --
> Dan
> C-172RG at BFM

The Blue Max

--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants

Flyingmonk
April 26th 06, 03:53 PM
LOL, I'd expect that one from Montblack. <g>

The Monk

C. Massey wrote:
> "Jim Macklin" > wrote in message
> > It isn't an aviation film, it is really pretty terrible, but
> > the first minute or so of Can Hieronymus Merkin Forget Mercy
> > Humpy and Find True Happiness has an SR 71 in-flight scene
> > that is worth seeing.
> >
> > Battle of Britain
> > Tora, Tora, Tora
> > The Great Waldo Pepper
> > Spirit of St. Louis
> > Dam Busters
> > Island in the Sky
> > Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
> > no special order
> >

> > Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
> > Hollywood movies?
> >

> <snip>
>

> Yeah... don't forget the greatest aviation classic of all time...
>
> "Airplane"
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0617-2, 04/26/2006
> Tested on: 4/26/2006 7:13:29 AM

Steven P. McNicoll
April 26th 06, 04:08 PM
"Jim Macklin" > wrote in message

> Battle of Britain
> Tora, Tora, Tora
> The Great Waldo Pepper
> Spirit of St. Louis
> Dam Busters
> Island in the Sky
> Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
> no special order
>

> Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
> Hollywood movies?

Airmail
West Point of the Air
Devil Dogs of the Air
Ceiling Zero
China Clipper
Test Pilot
I Wanted Wings
Dive Bomber
Captains of the Clouds
A Guy Named Joe
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
The Memphis Belle
Command Decision
Twelve O'clock High
Men of the Fighting Lady
The High and the Mighty
Strategic Air Command
The Bridges at Toko Ri
Toward the Unknown
The Wings of Eagles
Bombers B-52
The Crowded Sky
A Gathering of Eagles
Fate is the Hunter
633 Squadron
The Flight of the Phoenix
Catch-22
Murphy's War
The Pilot
The Aviator (Christopher Reeve)
Memphis Belle

Matt Barrow
April 26th 06, 04:25 PM
> Very good choice.
>

> "Jim Logajan" > wrote in message
> .. .
> | "Jim Macklin" >
> wrote:
> | > Battle of Britain
> | > Tora, Tora, Tora
> | > The Great Waldo Pepper
> | > Spirit of St. Louis
> | > Dam Busters
> | > Island in the Sky
> | > Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
> | > no special order
> | >

> | > Anybody care to add to the list of good to great
> airplane
> | > Hollywood movies?
> |
> | I'd add:
> |
> | Twelve Oclock High

Agreed. I'd add "Strategic Air Command" if you can fast forward through
scenes with June Allyson.

AJ
April 26th 06, 04:42 PM
I forgot that one.

AJ

gatt
April 26th 06, 05:16 PM
"Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote in message

>> Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
>> Hollywood movies?

The flying and aerial cinematography in the Piece of Cake series are the
most breathtaking I can recall.

-c

Steven P. McNicoll
April 26th 06, 05:22 PM
"gatt" > wrote in message

> "Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote in message
>
>>> Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
>>> Hollywood movies?
>
> The flying and aerial cinematography in the Piece of Cake series are the
> most breathtaking I can recall.

Steven P. McNicoll wrote nothing that appears above.

Gig 601XL Builder
April 26th 06, 05:38 PM
"Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Jim Macklin" > wrote in message
>>
>> Battle of Britain
>> Tora, Tora, Tora
>> The Great Waldo Pepper
>> Spirit of St. Louis
>> Dam Busters
>> Island in the Sky
>> Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
>> no special order
>>

>> Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
>> Hollywood movies?
>>

> Airmail
> West Point of the Air
> Devil Dogs of the Air
> Ceiling Zero
> China Clipper
> Test Pilot
> I Wanted Wings
> Dive Bomber
> Captains of the Clouds
> A Guy Named Joe
> Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
> The Memphis Belle
> Command Decision
> Twelve O'clock High
> Men of the Fighting Lady
> The High and the Mighty
> Strategic Air Command
> The Bridges at Toko Ri
> Toward the Unknown
> The Wings of Eagles
> Bombers B-52
> The Crowded Sky
> A Gathering of Eagles
> Fate is the Hunter
> 633 Squadron
> The Flight of the Phoenix
> Catch-22
> Murphy's War
> The Pilot
> The Aviator (Christopher Reeve)
> Memphis Belle

It's been a long time since I saw it but "The Great Waldo Pepper" was pretty
good when I saw it at age 14 I think.

Steven P. McNicoll
April 26th 06, 05:46 PM
"Gig 601XL Builder" <wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net> wrote in message

> "Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote in message
> link.net...
>>
>> "Jim Macklin" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Battle of Britain
>>> Tora, Tora, Tora
>>> The Great Waldo Pepper
>>> Spirit of St. Louis
>>> Dam Busters
>>> Island in the Sky
>>> Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
>>> no special order
>>>
>>> Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
>>> Hollywood movies?
>>>

>> Airmail
>> West Point of the Air
>> Devil Dogs of the Air
>> Ceiling Zero
>> China Clipper
>> Test Pilot
>> I Wanted Wings
>> Dive Bomber
>> Captains of the Clouds
>> A Guy Named Joe
>> Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
>> The Memphis Belle
>> Command Decision
>> Twelve O'clock High
>> Men of the Fighting Lady
>> The High and the Mighty
>> Strategic Air Command
>> The Bridges at Toko Ri
>> Toward the Unknown
>> The Wings of Eagles
>> Bombers B-52
>> The Crowded Sky
>> A Gathering of Eagles
>> Fate is the Hunter
>> 633 Squadron
>> The Flight of the Phoenix
>> Catch-22
>> Murphy's War
>> The Pilot
>> The Aviator (Christopher Reeve)
>> Memphis Belle
>>

> It's been a long time since I saw it but "The Great Waldo Pepper" was
> pretty good when I saw it at age 14 I think.

Agreed, that film was already mentioned.

C. Massey
April 26th 06, 06:31 PM
"Flyingmonk" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> LOL, I'd expect that one from Montblack. <g>
>
> The Monk

I'm glad that someone realized that was sarcasm!

Actually, my favorite would be Memphis Belle

> C. Massey wrote:
>> "Jim Macklin" > wrote in message
>> > It isn't an aviation film, it is really pretty terrible, but
>> > the first minute or so of Can Hieronymus Merkin Forget Mercy
>> > Humpy and Find True Happiness has an SR 71 in-flight scene
>> > that is worth seeing.
>> >
>> > Battle of Britain
>> > Tora, Tora, Tora
>> > The Great Waldo Pepper
>> > Spirit of St. Louis
>> > Dam Busters
>> > Island in the Sky
>> > Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
>> > no special order
>> >

>> > Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
>> > Hollywood movies?
>> >

>> <snip>
>>

>> Yeah... don't forget the greatest aviation classic of all time...
>>
>> "Airplane"
>>

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 0617-2, 04/26/2006
>> Tested on: 4/26/2006 7:13:29 AM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0617-2, 04/26/2006
Tested on: 4/26/2006 12:31:24 PM

Jim Macklin
April 26th 06, 07:47 PM
Yes to the Belle

. com...

wrote in message
terrible, but
Forget Mercy
scene

airplane

| >> <snip>
| >>

| >> Yeah... don't forget the greatest aviation classic of
all time...

| >> "Airplane"
| >>

| >> ---
| >> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
| >> Virus Database (VPS): 0617-2, 04/26/2006
| >> Tested on: 4/26/2006 7:13:29 AM
| >> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006 ALWIL Software.
| >

| ---
| avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
| Virus Database (VPS): 0617-2, 04/26/2006
| Tested on: 4/26/2006 12:31:24 PM
| avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006 ALWIL Software.

Jim Macklin
April 26th 06, 07:50 PM
War Lover Steve McQueen

"Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote in
message
link.net...

| "Jim Macklin" > wrote
in message

| > Battle of Britain
| > Tora, Tora, Tora
| > The Great Waldo Pepper
| > Spirit of St. Louis
| > Dam Busters
| > Island in the Sky
| > Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
| > no special order
| >

| > Anybody care to add to the list of good to great
airplane
| > Hollywood movies?
| >

| Airmail
| West Point of the Air
| Devil Dogs of the Air
| Ceiling Zero
| China Clipper
| Test Pilot
| I Wanted Wings
| Dive Bomber
| Captains of the Clouds
| A Guy Named Joe
| Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
| The Memphis Belle
| Command Decision
| Twelve O'clock High
| Men of the Fighting Lady
| The High and the Mighty
| Strategic Air Command
| The Bridges at Toko Ri
| Toward the Unknown
| The Wings of Eagles
| Bombers B-52
| The Crowded Sky
| A Gathering of Eagles
| Fate is the Hunter
| 633 Squadron
| The Flight of the Phoenix
| Catch-22
| Murphy's War
| The Pilot
| The Aviator (Christopher Reeve)
| Memphis Belle

Brock Boss
April 26th 06, 07:52 PM
Some good O-2 footage(and rotary-wing footage as well) in BAT*21.
Took my first airplane ride in an old O-2 so that may be why I like it
so much.

Who can forget The Right Stuff?
Pancho Barnes
The Rocketeer has some cool Gee Bee footage along with other classics.

Brock Boss
SP-N3916R

Jay Honeck wrote:
> Despite this fact, we had a great turnout for our second pilot's movie
> night. Our invited friends included the owners of:
>
> ...a Bellanca Super Viking
> ...a '29 Travel Air Biplane
> ...a Super Cub
> ...a Swearingen SX-300
> ...an RV-10 kit (in progress...)
> ...a Glasair II
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Jim Macklin
April 26th 06, 07:53 PM
I like the opening at the ball park when the B 36 flew over.
Didn't hurt anything that General James Stewart was an
active bomber pilot in WWII and flew post-war.

"Matt Barrow" > wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" > wrote
in message
| > Very good choice.
| >

| > "Jim Logajan" > wrote in message
| > .. .

| > airplane
| > |
| > | I'd add:
| > |
| > | Twelve Oclock High
| > |
| Agreed. I'd add "Strategic Air Command" if you can fast
forward through
| scenes with June Allyson.

Jim Macklin
April 26th 06, 07:55 PM
AJ, you clip too much, the old rules about message size
applied when servers had 20 mb drives and a mb of
ram...don't cut all previous, snip a little, nobody know
which "one" you're talking about.

"AJ" > wrote in message
oups.com...
|I forgot that one.
|
| AJ

Jim Macklin
April 26th 06, 08:29 PM
Valerie was much better looking than the real Poncho.

"Brock Boss" > wrote in message
oups.com...
| Some good O-2 footage(and rotary-wing footage as well) in
BAT*21.
| Took my first airplane ride in an old O-2 so that may be
why I like it
| so much.
|
| Who can forget The Right Stuff?
| Pancho Barnes
| The Rocketeer has some cool Gee Bee footage along with
other classics.

| Brock Boss
| SP-N3916R
|
| Jay Honeck wrote:
| > Despite this fact, we had a great turnout for our second
pilot's movie
| > night. Our invited friends included the owners of:
| >
| > ...a Bellanca Super Viking
| > ...a '29 Travel Air Biplane
| > ...a Super Cub
| > ...a Swearingen SX-300
| > ...an RV-10 kit (in progress...)
| > ...a Glasair II
| > --
| > Jay Honeck
| > Iowa City, IA
| > Pathfinder N56993
| > www.AlexisParkInn.com
| > "Your Aviation Destination"

No Such User
April 26th 06, 10:50 PM
In article <3EC3g.8828$ZW3.8805@dukeread04>, Jim Macklin wrote:

>Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
>Hollywood movies?

"The Dawn Patrol" -- try to get both the Douglas Fairbanks and the
Basil Rathbone versions.

That "How to Fly a Stearman" Navy training film with Robert Taylor is fun to
watch, too.

Montblack
April 27th 06, 01:11 AM
("Flyingmonk" wrote)
> LOL, I'd expect that one from Montblack. <g>

>> > It isn't an aviation film, it is really pretty terrible, but the first
>> > minute or so of Can Hieronymus Merkin Forget Mercy Humpy and Find True
>> > Happiness has an SR 71 in-flight scene that is worth seeing.

He beat me to it. <g>

http://entertainment.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=63238
Joan Collins as Polyester Poontang :-)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064123/
Can Hieronymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?
(1969)

Montblack

Randy
April 27th 06, 01:23 AM
As corny as it sounds Ron Howard directed a TV movie with Bette Davis
and Howard Hessman...I think it was "Skyward" or something like that.

Opening scenes with gliders and biplanes was pretty cool, story was
about a girl in a wheelchair learning to fly.

Bob Fry
April 27th 06, 02:33 AM
Dr. Strangelove

Jay Honeck
April 27th 06, 03:21 AM
> > Needless to say, some serious hangar flying took place
>
> The 'f' in hangar flying is of course silent :-)

Absolutely!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Randy
April 27th 06, 03:33 AM
Once upon a time...it was either Solid Gold or something like that had
the music from Flashdance to an aerobatic routine at Oshkosh.
Hopefully somebody else with a better memory saw it or knows where a
video clip can be obtained.

Jim Macklin
April 27th 06, 03:47 AM
Wasn't Slim Pickens great, and was that James Earl Jones'
first movie?

"Bob Fry" > wrote in message
| Dr. Strangelove

April 27th 06, 03:57 AM
Jim Maklin wrote:
>Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
>Hollywood movies?

"Out of Africa".
The movie was good for other reasons as well, but I've always loved the
scenes in which Dennis Fynch-Hatton(sp) flies the biplane around the
African countryside with Karen Blixen in the back of the biplane.
That kind of thing is one of the reasons I want to fly......

Jeff
April 27th 06, 06:16 AM
Did anyone mention "High Road to China"? Good dogfighting scenes if you can
tollerate all the kissing ;)

jf

"Jay Honeck" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Despite this fact, we had a great turnout for our second pilot's movie
> night. Our invited friends included the owners of:
>
> ...a Bellanca Super Viking
> ...a '29 Travel Air Biplane
> ...a Super Cub
> ...a Swearingen SX-300
> ...an RV-10 kit (in progress...)
> ...a Glasair II
> ...a Rose Parakeet
> ...and one guy who (I swear) has owned one of everything, in his 80
> years on this planet.
>
> Needless to say, some serious hangar flying took place, both before and
> after the flick. By popular request, our warm-up movies consisted of
> 30 minutes of stuff off of our aviation video website,
> www.AlexisParkInn.com/aviation_videos.htm.
>
> Everyone suffered through the movie's awful plot (without booing, I'm
> glad to report) but we all reveled in the excellent P-40, Spitfire, and
> Pearl Harbor battle scenes. Someone smuggled some beer into the
> theater (again, dang it), and a good time was had by all!
>
> BTW: We've only got five seats left for Bill Fox' SR-71 Blackbird talk
> on Tuesday, May 30. If you're interested and can make it, email me --
> first come, first served!
> --
> Jay Honeck
> Iowa City, IA
> Pathfinder N56993
> www.AlexisParkInn.com
> "Your Aviation Destination"

Peter Duniho
April 27th 06, 06:55 AM
> AJ, you clip too much

And you don't clip enough (or any, as near as I can tell).

Takes all kinds...

cjcampbell
April 27th 06, 07:07 AM
Jim Macklin wrote:
> It isn't an aviation film, it is really pretty terrible, but
> the first minute or so of Can Hieronymus Merkin Forget Mercy
> Humpy and Find True Happiness has an SR 71 in-flight scene
> that is worth seeing.
>
> Battle of Britain
> Tora, Tora, Tora
> The Great Waldo Pepper
> Spirit of St. Louis
> Dam Busters
> Island in the Sky
> Flight of the Phoenix [Jimmy Stewart version]
> no special order
>

> Anybody care to add to the list of good to great airplane
> Hollywood movies?

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
Goldfinger (despite the scene where Goldfinger gets sucked out a
window)
Twelve O'Clock High
The Blue Max
Any of the "Over....." series. That PBS series of films always makes me
want to go out and fly.

cjcampbell
April 27th 06, 07:15 AM
Jim Macklin wrote:
> Wasn't Slim Pickens great, and was that James Earl Jones'
> first movie?
>

> "Bob Fry" > wrote in message
> | Dr. Strangelove

Yeah, I think that was. And Slim Pickens' first role, too. The story,
as I understand it, was that Peter Sellers was originally going to play
the bomber pilot, but he fell on the set and was injured just before
shooting of the B-52 scenes was to start. Slim Pickens was a stage hand
and Stanley Kubrik heard him talking. His thought was, "That guy
wouldn't even have to act!"

Jim Macklin
April 27th 06, 07:54 AM
Maybe we can both improve, but at least unclipped can be
read in one place and bandwidth isn't a problem.

"Peter Duniho" > wrote in
message ...
| "Jim Macklin" > wrote
in message
| > AJ, you clip too much
|
| And you don't clip enough (or any, as near as I can tell).
|
| Takes all kinds...

Jim Macklin
April 27th 06, 07:57 AM
Another movie, FAILSAFE has B58 scenes.

"cjcampbell" > wrote in
message
oups.com...

| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > Wasn't Slim Pickens great, and was that James Earl
Jones'
| > first movie?
| >

| > "Bob Fry" > wrote in message
| > | Dr. Strangelove
|
| Yeah, I think that was. And Slim Pickens' first role, too.
The story,
| as I understand it, was that Peter Sellers was originally
going to play
| the bomber pilot, but he fell on the set and was injured
just before
| shooting of the B-52 scenes was to start. Slim Pickens was
a stage hand
| and Stanley Kubrik heard him talking. His thought was,
"That guy
| wouldn't even have to act!"

Gig 601XL Builder
April 27th 06, 04:00 PM
"cjcampbell" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jim Macklin wrote:
>> Wasn't Slim Pickens great, and was that James Earl Jones'
>> first movie?
>>

>> "Bob Fry" > wrote in message
>> | Dr. Strangelove
>
> Yeah, I think that was. And Slim Pickens' first role, too. The story,
> as I understand it, was that Peter Sellers was originally going to play
> the bomber pilot, but he fell on the set and was injured just before
> shooting of the B-52 scenes was to start. Slim Pickens was a stage hand
> and Stanley Kubrik heard him talking. His thought was, "That guy
> wouldn't even have to act!"

Dr. Strangelove was hardly Slim's first role. Please excuse the numbering
when I cut and paste from IMDB.com it does that.

1.. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
(1964) .... Maj. T.J. 'King' Kong
... aka Dr. Strangelove
2.. Bristle Face (1964) (TV) .... Newt Pribble
... aka Fox Hunter
3.. "The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters"
- The Day of the Homeless (1963) TV Episode .... Bly
4.. Savage Sam (1963) .... Willy Crup
5.. "The Wide Country"
- Speckle Bird (1963) TV Episode .... Slim Walker
- Don't Cry for Johnny Devlin (1963) TV Episode .... Slim Walker
- Memory of a Filly (1963) TV Episode .... Slim Walker
- Tears on a Painted Face (1962) TV Episode .... Slim Walker
6.. "Wagon Train"
... aka Major Adams, Trail Master
- The Eve Newhope Story (1962) TV Episode
- The Tent City Story (1958) TV Episode .... Rafe
7.. "The Tall Man"
- The Black Robe (1962) TV Episode
8.. "Route 66"
- A Long Piece of Mischief (1962) TV Episode .... Jud
9.. "Outlaws" (1960) TV Series .... Slim (1961-62)
10.. A Thunder of Drums (1961) .... Trooper Erschick
11.. "Alfred Hitchcock Presents"
- Final Arrangements (1961) TV Episode .... Bradshaw
12.. "COronado 9"
- Gone Goose (1961) TV Episode
13.. One-Eyed Jacks (1961) .... Deputy Lon Dedrick
14.. "The Americans"
- The Escape (1961) TV Episode .... Johnson
15.. "Surfside 6"
- Ghost of a Chance (1961) TV Episode .... Muskrat George
16.. Chartroose Caboose (1960) .... Pete Harmon
17.. "The Westerner"
... aka The Westerners (USA: syndication title)
- Line Camp (1960) TV Episode .... Oscar Hudson
18.. "Daniel Boone" (1960) (mini) TV Series .... Captain Gass
19.. "Riverboat"
- River Champion (1960) TV Episode
20.. "Overland Trail"
... aka Overland Stage
- Sour Annie (1960) TV Episode .... Allard

21.. "Texas John Slaughter"
- The Slaughter Trail (1959) TV Episode .... Buck
- Killers from Kansas (1959) TV Episode (uncredited) .... Stagecoach
Driver
22.. "Frontier Doctor"
... aka Man of the West (USA: syndication title)
... aka Unarmed (USA: syndication title)
- Bittercreek Gang (1959) TV Episode
23.. Stump Run (1959) .... Babe Gaskin
... aka Stump Run in Skunk Hollow (USA: reissue title)
24.. Tonka (1958) .... Ace
... aka A Horse Named Comanche (USA: reissue title)
25.. "Maverick"
- The Spanish Dancer (1958) TV Episode .... Jed
26.. Escort West (1958) .... Wheeler
27.. "Sugarfoot"
... aka Tenderfoot (UK)
- Short Range (1958) TV Episode .... Henry
- Brannigan's Boots (1957) TV Episode .... Shorty
28.. The Sheepman (1958) .... Marshal
... aka Stranger with a Gun (USA: new title)
29.. The Saga of Andy Burnett (1957) (TV) .... Old Bill Williams
30.. Gunsight Ridge (1957) .... Hank Moss
31.. "Cheyenne"
- Big Ghost Basin (1957) TV Episode .... Gary Owen
32.. "Annie Oakley"
- Grubstake Bank (1956) TV Episode .... Garner
- Annie Rings the Bell (1956) TV Episode .... Ed Morgan
- The Waco Kid (1956) TV Episode .... Slim
- Annie and the Leprechauns (1956) TV Episode .... Sundown
33.. "Circus Boy"
- The Proud Pagliacci (1956) TV Episode .... Curly
34.. "The Lone Ranger"
- The Letter Bride (1956) TV Episode .... Ed Jones
- The Sheriff of Smoke Tree (1956) TV Episode .... Joe Boley
35.. Gun Brothers (1956) .... Moose MacLain
36.. "Buffalo Bill Jr"
- A Diamond for Grandpa (1956) TV Episode
- Kansas City Lady (1956) TV Episode
37.. The Great Locomotive Chase (1956) .... Pete Bracken
... aka Andrews' Raiders (USA: TV title)
38.. Stranger at My Door (1956) .... Ben Silas
39.. When Gangland Strikes (1956) .... Slim Pickett
40.. The Last Command (1955) .... Abe
... aka San Antonio de Bexar (USA)
41.. Santa Fe Passage (1955) .... Sam Beekman
42.. "Stories of the Century"
... aka The Fast Guns (USA: reissue title)
- Kate Bender (1955) TV Episode .... Driver Billy Hilton
- The Wild Bunch of Wyoming (1954) TV Episode .... The Smiling Kid
43.. The Outcast (1954) .... Boone Polsen
... aka The Fortune Hunter (UK)
44.. The Boy from Oklahoma (1954) .... Shorty, Turlock Henchman
45.. Phantom Stallion (1954) .... Slim
46.. Shadows of Tombstone (1953) .... Slim Pickens
47.. Down Laredo Way (1953) .... Slim Pickens
48.. Iron Mountain Trail (1953) .... Slim Pickens
49.. The Sun Shines Bright (1953) .... Sterling, Lanky Backwoodsman
50.. Old Overland Trail (1953) .... Slim Pickens
51.. Thunderbirds (1952) .... Pvt. Shelby
52.. South Pacific Trail (1952) .... Slim Pickens
53.. Old Oklahoma Plains (1952) .... Slim
54.. The Story of Will Rogers (1952) .... Dusty Donovan
55.. Border Saddlemates (1952) .... Slim Pickens
56.. The Last Musketeer (1952) .... Slim Pickens
57.. Colorado Sundown (1952) .... Joshua 'Slim' Pickens/Ma Pickens
58.. Rocky Mountain (1950) .... Plank (CSA)

Matt Barrow
April 27th 06, 04:09 PM
"cjcampbell" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jim Macklin wrote:
>> Wasn't Slim Pickens great, and was that James Earl Jones'
>> first movie?
>>

>> "Bob Fry" > wrote in message
>> | Dr. Strangelove
>
> Yeah, I think that was. And Slim Pickens' first role, too.

Slim Pickens first movie was in 1950. By the 1964 release of DS, he'd been
in over 50 movies. http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0001620/

>The story,
> as I understand it, was that Peter Sellers was originally going to play
> the bomber pilot, but he fell on the set and was injured just before
> shooting of the B-52 scenes was to start. Slim Pickens was a stage hand
> and Stanley Kubrik heard him talking. His thought was, "That guy
> wouldn't even have to act!"

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0057012/

A couple winters ago, the family was out clearing the driveway when my #2
son slipped and fell flat on his face. As my wife ran over to check on him,
he staggered to his feet and screamed , "MEIN FURHUR...I CAN VALK".

--
Matt
---------------------

Peter Duniho
April 27th 06, 06:20 PM
> Maybe we can both improve, but at least unclipped can be
> read in one place and bandwidth isn't a problem.

I had no trouble at all going back to the previous message to which AJ
replied. So that "isn't a problem" either.

In either case, the trangressor can *claim* there's "no problem". In
reality, neither is a very polite way to use the newsgroup. When you fail
to trim a few lines, it's simply annoying. When you fail to trim an entire
100 line post just to add a couple of sentences of your own, you are wasting
bandwidth in a 50-to-1 ratio.

Just because we aren't all on dial-up anymore, that doesn't mean that a)
*everyone* isn't on dial-up, and b) that we don't all pay for bandwidth some
way somewhere. There are a number of issues related to the wasteful
excessive quoting that occurs, including (but not limited to) end-user time
and cost, and lifetime of a post on a news server.

Suffice to say, it's pretty ironic for you of all people to take AJ to task
for his posting habits. There's an old saying about a log and a splinter
that seems appropriate here.

Pete

Jim Macklin
April 27th 06, 07:47 PM
LOL
"Matt Barrow" > wrote in message

| SNIP|
| A couple winters ago, the family was out clearing the
driveway when my #2
| son slipped and fell flat on his face. As my wife ran over
to check on him,
| he staggered to his feet and screamed , "MEIN FURHUR...I
CAN VALK".

| --
| Matt
| ---------------------
| Matthew W. Barrow
| Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
| Montrose, CO

Jim Macklin
April 27th 06, 07:49 PM
Exactly, agree perfectly
snip

Montblack
April 27th 06, 11:40 PM
("Peter Duniho" wrote)
> Suffice to say, it's pretty ironic for you of all people to take AJ to
> task for his posting habits. There's an old saying about a log and a
> splinter that seems appropriate here.

I had to go to Google for that one, Pete. I was drawing a blank. Busted!

<http://www.fourwinds10.com/phb/PHB-11-28-04-people-of-the-lie-judge-wisely.html>
"In Matthew 7:3 we read “Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s
eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?” Esu Immanuel used
real life examples to make his point. Here he is using the example of
having a piece of dirt or a speck of sawdust getting into your eye, making
it impossible for you to physically see clearly. A splinter or a sliver or
a log all refer to wood and are far larger than a speck of sawdust. If a
speck of sawdust obstructs your vision, how much more would a sliver or a
log.

In other words Esu is saying, how foolish it is to try and see the speck of
sawdust in your brother’s eye, when you have a log of wood in your own eye.
You most certainly would not be able to see accurately. Now, we must
translate this analogy into our understanding of Esu Immanuel’s teaching
concerning judging others.

To judge others truly, wisely and accurately we must understand the Laws of
God and Creation ourselves and live by them."

Montblack

Matt Barrow
April 28th 06, 01:30 AM
> Exactly, agree perfectly
> snip

'bout what?

Jim Macklin
April 28th 06, 01:54 AM
I was just emulating the other poster, who snips
everything.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Matt Barrow" > wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" > wrote
in message
| > Exactly, agree perfectly
| > snip
| >

| 'bout what?

cjcampbell
April 28th 06, 05:19 AM
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

> Dr. Strangelove was hardly Slim's first role. Please excuse the numbering
> when I cut and paste from IMDB.com it does that.

"Well, dang, don't that just beat all" as Slim Pickens would say. I
should have known better, too, having a seen a considerable number of
movies from that list.

cjcampbell
April 28th 06, 05:25 AM
Matt Barrow wrote:

> A couple winters ago, the family was out clearing the driveway when my #2
> son slipped and fell flat on his face. As my wife ran over to check on him,
> he staggered to his feet and screamed , "MEIN FURHUR...I CAN VALK".

I am speechless, that is so funny.

So, do you think the movie would have been as good if they had left the
pie fight scene in it?

Dan Luke
April 28th 06, 12:11 PM
"Jim Macklin" wrote:

>I was just emulating the other poster, who snips
> everything.

With respect, I must say that I find your posting style fussy and laborious
to read.

It would indeed help if you would do a little judicious snipping. It would
help even more if you would post your responses below the comments to which
you are replying, emulating speaking conversations.

--
Dan

'Gut feeling'

Intestinologists concur that the human gut does not contain any rational
thoughts.
What the human gut *is* full of is moderately well known.

Jim Macklin
April 28th 06, 03:38 PM
I'm lazy and since when I first began using a computer I
figured that MS knew that post go at the top, I've always
done it that way.

If a post if over 10 kb I'll spend the time to snip,
otherwise, why worry about it.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Dan Luke" > wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" wrote:
|
| >I was just emulating the other poster, who snips
| > everything.
|
| With respect, I must say that I find your posting style
fussy and laborious
| to read.
|
| It would indeed help if you would do a little judicious
snipping. It would
| help even more if you would post your responses below the
comments to which
| you are replying, emulating speaking conversations.
|
| --
| Dan
|
| 'Gut feeling'
|
| Intestinologists concur that the human gut does not
contain any rational
| thoughts.
| What the human gut *is* full of is moderately well known.

Jose
April 28th 06, 04:13 PM
> I'm lazy and since when I first began using a computer I
> figured that MS knew that post go at the top, I've always
> done it that way.

MS has broken just about every internet standard. Why should it get
that one right?

> If a post if over 10 kb I'll spend the time to snip,
> otherwise, why worry about it.

Because on dialup 10Kb takes a while, on a handheld 10Kb may not fit,
and in a foreign country 10Kb costs a lot.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.

Jim Macklin
April 28th 06, 04:25 PM
Tell me why I should change. It takes time to scroll down
to find the "answer" if it is bottom posted. If I've been
following the thread or am new to the discussion, top
posting lets me the most current info and IF I care to see
more I can scroll down if the gist has not been snipped.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Jose" > wrote in message
t...
|> I'm lazy and since when I first began using a computer I
| > figured that MS knew that post go at the top, I've
always
| > done it that way.
|
| MS has broken just about every internet standard. Why
should it get
| that one right?
|
| > If a post if over 10 kb I'll spend the time to snip,
| > otherwise, why worry about it.
|
| Because on dialup 10Kb takes a while, on a handheld 10Kb
may not fit,
| and in a foreign country 10Kb costs a lot.
|
| Jose
| --
| The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
| for Email, make the obvious change in the address.

Jose
April 28th 06, 04:39 PM
> Tell me why I should change.

Courtesy.

> It takes time to scroll down
> to find the "answer" if it is bottom posted...

I agree. I also rarely read the reference material, as I've already
read it or can infer it from the new material.

However, most of the Usenet community does not seem to agree or work
this way, and it is courtious to follow their standards.

And, one should be mindful of bandwidth - Even if one has their own T-1
line and huge screen, not everyone else does.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.

Dan Luke
April 28th 06, 04:45 PM
"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> Tell me why I should change.

1) It is considerate of your correspondents.

2) Presumedly you want your posts read or you wouldn't make them. Some
people will ignore top posts. I usually will not, but if in a hurry, I will.

3) Top posting causes cancer, hair loss, bad breath and Communism.

--
Dan

"Gut feeling"

Intestinologists concur that the human gut does not contain any
rational thoughts. What the human gut /is/ full of is moderately well
known.

Montblack
April 28th 06, 06:45 PM
("Dan Luke" wrote)
>> Tell me why I should change.

> 1) It is considerate of your correspondents.
>
> 2) Presumedly you want your posts read or you wouldn't make them. Some
> people will ignore top posts. I usually will not, but if in a hurry, I
> will.
>
> 3) Top posting causes cancer, hair loss, bad breath and Communism.

Besides being considerate and avoiding cancer, June is Top Posting Month at
rec.aviation, not April.

Montblack
"Pieces of April" by Three Dog Night was our Prom song.

Jim Macklin
April 28th 06, 08:06 PM
I've always been discourteous. I also have my Outlook
Express mail and newsreader set to only get the headers, I
can see subject and size, even the name of the sender, and
don't bother downloading the whole message. When I leave
the group, all messages are marked as read. Once a week or
so, I delete all local messages and compact the folder [you
can do this in two ways/paths].

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Jose" > wrote in message
t...
|> Tell me why I should change.
|
| Courtesy.
|
| > It takes time to scroll down
| > to find the "answer" if it is bottom posted...
|
| I agree. I also rarely read the reference material, as
I've already
| read it or can infer it from the new material.
|
| However, most of the Usenet community does not seem to
agree or work
| this way, and it is courtious to follow their standards.
|
| And, one should be mindful of bandwidth - Even if one has
their own T-1
| line and huge screen, not everyone else does.
|
| Jose
| --
| The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
| for Email, make the obvious change in the address.

Jim Macklin
April 28th 06, 08:11 PM
1. I don't care.
2. I look at subject lines, if the subject is interesting
I'll read it. Along the same lines, don't you hate it when
a friend sends you an email with the message nested about
four fwd:fwd:fwd:fwd deep.
3. Bottom posting is the proper way to put milk on the
store shelf, sell the oldest first. The rest is just an
urban legend. Halitosis is better than no breath at all.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Dan Luke" > wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" wrote:
|
| > Tell me why I should change.
|
| 1) It is considerate of your correspondents.
|
| 2) Presumedly you want your posts read or you wouldn't
make them. Some
| people will ignore top posts. I usually will not, but if
in a hurry, I will.

| 3) Top posting causes cancer, hair loss, bad breath and
Communism.

| --
| Dan
|
| "Gut feeling"
|
| Intestinologists concur that the human gut does not
contain any
| rational thoughts. What the human gut /is/ full of is
moderately well
| known.

Frank Ch. Eigler
April 28th 06, 08:45 PM
"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> Tell me why I should change [from top posting].

It saves your readers' time when they can see the minimal relevant
context (the specific words you're responding to) along with your
response, in a logical sequence.

- FChE

Jose
April 28th 06, 09:26 PM
> I've always been discourteous.

In that case, why ask if you don't care about the answer.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.

Bob Noel
April 28th 06, 09:56 PM
In article <_Nt4g.12249$ZW3.2328@dukeread04>,
"Jim Macklin" > wrote:

> I also have my Outlook
> Express mail

well, that explains it.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Dan Luke
April 28th 06, 11:43 PM
"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> 1. I don't care.

Well, best wishes to you too.

> 2. I look at subject lines, if the subject is interesting
> I'll read it. Along the same lines, don't you hate it when
> a friend sends you an email with the message nested about
> four fwd:fwd:fwd:fwd deep.

Yes; it is inconsiderate--like top posting.

> 3. Bottom posting is the proper way to put milk on the
> store shelf, sell the oldest first. The rest is just an
> urban legend. Halitosis is better than no breath at all.

Top posting is lazy and careless. I generally avoid associating with lazy
and careless people, don't you?

--
Dan

"The future has actually been here for a while, it's just not readily
available to everyone."
- some guy at MIT

Jim Macklin
April 29th 06, 12:26 AM
RPN
"Frank Ch. Eigler" > wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" wrote:
|
| > Tell me why I should change [from top posting].
|
| It saves your readers' time when they can see the minimal
relevant
| context (the specific words you're responding to) along
with your
| response, in a logical sequence.
|
| - FChE

Jim Macklin
April 29th 06, 12:26 AM
fun
"Jose" > wrote in message
t...
|> I've always been discourteous.
|
| In that case, why ask if you don't care about the answer.
|
| Jose
| --
| The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
| for Email, make the obvious change in the address.

Jim Macklin
April 29th 06, 12:28 AM
you snipped the real message, you can set any client to get
headers and download the body only if you want it.

"Bob Noel" > wrote in
message
wrote:

| > I also have my Outlook
| > Express mail
|
| well, that explains it.
|
| --
| Bob Noel
| Looking for a sig the
| lawyers will hate

Jim Macklin
April 29th 06, 12:29 AM
I prefer to associate with people who are not busy-bodies.

"Dan Luke" > wrote in message

| "Jim Macklin" wrote:
|
| > 1. I don't care.
|
| Well, best wishes to you too.
|
| > 2. I look at subject lines, if the subject is
interesting
| > I'll read it. Along the same lines, don't you hate it
when
| > a friend sends you an email with the message nested
about
| > four fwd:fwd:fwd:fwd deep.
|
| Yes; it is inconsiderate--like top posting.
|
| > 3. Bottom posting is the proper way to put milk on the
| > store shelf, sell the oldest first. The rest is just an
| > urban legend. Halitosis is better than no breath at
all.

| Top posting is lazy and careless. I generally avoid
associating with lazy
| and careless people, don't you?
|
| --
| Dan
|
| "The future has actually been here for a while, it's just
not readily
| available to everyone."
| - some guy at MIT

Bob Noel
April 29th 06, 12:32 AM
In article <Ezx4g.12868$ZW3.5760@dukeread04>,
"Jim Macklin" > wrote:

> you snipped the real message,

I quoted what I wanted. You said you use Outlook Express.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Jim Macklin
April 29th 06, 01:01 AM
And you did your best to make part of it a slur of some
sort.
"Bob Noel" > wrote in
message
wrote:

| > you snipped the real message,
|
| I quoted what I wanted. You said you use Outlook Express.
|
| --
| Bob Noel
| Looking for a sig the
| lawyers will hate

Bob Noel
April 29th 06, 01:35 AM
In article <_1y4g.12871$ZW3.218@dukeread04>,
"Jim Macklin" > wrote:

> And you did your best to make part of it a slur of some
> sort.

Nope.

Does Outlook express even allow the user to the option to
have the cursor after quoted text?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Morgans
April 29th 06, 02:19 AM
"Bob Noel" > wrote

> Does Outlook express even allow the user to the option to
> have the cursor after quoted text?

Yep. I use OE, and I snip and put the reply any place I want to, like this
reply.
--
Jim in NC

Bob Noel
April 29th 06, 03:41 AM
In article >, "Morgans" >
wrote:

> > Does Outlook express even allow the user to the option to
> > have the cursor after quoted text?
>
> Yep. I use OE, and I snip and put the reply any place I want to, like this
> reply.

Sorry. I wasn't clear. Does OE allow the user the option of defaulting
to after quoted text? For example, Outlook doesn't have this option at all.
Netscape does, but inexplicably defaults to top-posting.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Morgans
April 29th 06, 03:56 AM
"Bob Noel" > wrote

> Sorry. I wasn't clear. Does OE allow the user the option of defaulting
> to after quoted text? For example, Outlook doesn't have this option at
> all.
> Netscape does, but inexplicably defaults to top-posting.

Even if it did, it would not trim, so the problem would only be half solved.

It all comes down to the fact that it is so easy to place your post where
you want it, and trim at the same time, it is just pure lazy (and self
important) to not do so.
--
Jim in NC

Jim Macklin
April 29th 06, 04:56 AM
But I want to see the answer [last post] first.

"Morgans" > wrote in message

| "Bob Noel" > wrote
| >
| > Sorry. I wasn't clear. Does OE allow the user the
option of defaulting
| > to after quoted text? For example, Outlook doesn't have
this option at
| > all.
| > Netscape does, but inexplicably defaults to top-posting.
|
| Even if it did, it would not trim, so the problem would
only be half solved.

| It all comes down to the fact that it is so easy to place
your post where
| you want it, and trim at the same time, it is just pure
lazy (and self
| important) to not do so.
| --
| Jim in NC

Peter Duniho
April 29th 06, 06:13 AM
>I prefer to associate with people who are not busy-bodies.

You mean like a person who replies to someone else's post for the sole
purpose of critiquing how they post?

Jim Macklin
April 29th 06, 06:18 AM
some days I feel like a nut, some days I don't

"Peter Duniho" > wrote in
message ...
| "Jim Macklin" > wrote
in message
| >I prefer to associate with people who are not
busy-bodies.

| You mean like a person who replies to someone else's post
for the sole
| purpose of critiquing how they post?

Bob Chilcoat
April 29th 06, 03:07 PM
Which one? The WWII documentary, or the Hollywood one? The former is by
far the best.

> Yes to the Belle
>

> "C. Massey" > wrote in message
> . com...
> |
> | "Flyingmonk" > wrote in message
> |
> ups.com...
> | > LOL, I'd expect that one from Montblack. <g>
> | >
> | > The Monk
> | >

> | I'm glad that someone realized that was sarcasm!
> |
> | Actually, my favorite would be Memphis Belle

> terrible, but
> Forget Mercy
> scene

> airplane

> all time...

> | ---
> | avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
> | Virus Database (VPS): 0617-2, 04/26/2006
> | Tested on: 4/26/2006 12:31:24 PM
> | avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006 ALWIL Software.

Bob Chilcoat
April 29th 06, 03:12 PM
Actually, Slim Pickens had been in 34 movies (by my count) before Dr.
Stangelove. You must not be as old as me.
http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=2:56691~C

"cjcampbell" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Jim Macklin wrote:
>> Wasn't Slim Pickens great, and was that James Earl Jones'
>> first movie?
>>

>> "Bob Fry" > wrote in message
>> | Dr. Strangelove
>
> Yeah, I think that was. And Slim Pickens' first role, too. The story,
> as I understand it, was that Peter Sellers was originally going to play
> the bomber pilot, but he fell on the set and was injured just before
> shooting of the B-52 scenes was to start. Slim Pickens was a stage hand
> and Stanley Kubrik heard him talking. His thought was, "That guy
> wouldn't even have to act!"

Bob Chilcoat
April 29th 06, 03:23 PM
I'd have to disagree on that one. While I've never met him myself, a friend
here in NJ who was dying of cancer met him on the set of ER (she worked for
J&J, who supplied a lot of the props for the show -- employees could visit
the set). While she was in there in Hollywood, he arranged for her and her
young daughter to take his limousine to a Hollywood extravaganza that he
wasn't going to attend. They walked up the red carpet and both had a ball.
He wrote and called her regularly before she died, and sent a HUGE basket of
roses to her funeral. He is apparently a very caring and genuine human
being, who just doesn't give a rip about Hollywood glamour.

> LOL, sort of like the C in Clooney.

Bob Chilcoat
April 29th 06, 03:26 PM
Always

"Brock Boss" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Some good O-2 footage(and rotary-wing footage as well) in BAT*21.
> Took my first airplane ride in an old O-2 so that may be why I like it
> so much.
>
> Who can forget The Right Stuff?
> Pancho Barnes
> The Rocketeer has some cool Gee Bee footage along with other classics.
>

> Brock Boss
> SP-N3916R
>
> Jay Honeck wrote:
>> Despite this fact, we had a great turnout for our second pilot's movie
>> night. Our invited friends included the owners of:
>>
>> ...a Bellanca Super Viking
>> ...a '29 Travel Air Biplane
>> ...a Super Cub
>> ...a Swearingen SX-300
>> ...an RV-10 kit (in progress...)
>> ...a Glasair II
>> --
>> Jay Honeck
>> Iowa City, IA
>> Pathfinder N56993
>> www.AlexisParkInn.com
>> "Your Aviation Destination"

Morgans
April 29th 06, 03:28 PM
some days I feel like a "PLONK"

> some days I feel like a nut, some days I don't
>

> "Peter Duniho" > wrote in
> message ...
> | "Jim Macklin" > wrote
> in message
> | >I prefer to associate with people who are not
> busy-bodies.
> |
> | You mean like a person who replies to someone else's post
> for the sole
> | purpose of critiquing how they post?

Jim Macklin
April 29th 06, 04:14 PM
Actually, both are pretty good. The WWII documentary is one
type of film and the Hollywood movie is another.

"Bob Chilcoat" > wrote in
message ...
| Which one? The WWII documentary, or the Hollywood one?
The former is by
| far the best.
|
| --
| Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)
|

| "Jim Macklin" > wrote
in message
| > Yes to the Belle
| >

| > "C. Massey" > wrote in message
| > . com...
| > |
| > | "Flyingmonk" > wrote in message
| > |

ups.com...

| > |
| > |
| > | I'm glad that someone realized that was sarcasm!
| > |
| > | Actually, my favorite would be Memphis Belle
| > |
| > |
| > |

| > terrible, but
| > Forget Mercy
in-flight
| > scene

| > airplane

of
| > all time...

| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | ---
| > | avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
| > | Virus Database (VPS): 0617-2, 04/26/2006
| > | Tested on: 4/26/2006 12:31:24 PM
| > | avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006 ALWIL Software.
| > |
| > |
| > |

Matt Barrow
April 29th 06, 04:49 PM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message

> "Jim Macklin" wrote:
>
>> Tell me why I should change.
>
> 1) It is considerate of your correspondents.
>
> 2) Presumedly you want your posts read or you wouldn't make them. Some
> people will ignore top posts. I usually will not, but if in a hurry, I
> will.
>
> 3) Top posting causes cancer, hair loss, bad breath and Communism.

Not to mention flatulence.

Matt Barrow
April 29th 06, 04:53 PM
"Bob Noel" > wrote in message
> In article <_Nt4g.12249$ZW3.2328@dukeread04>,
> "Jim Macklin" > wrote:
>
>> I also have my Outlook
>> Express mail
>
> well, that explains it.

Chronic halitosis.

Matt Barrow
April 29th 06, 04:57 PM
"Bob Noel" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Morgans"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> > Does Outlook express even allow the user to the option to
>> > have the cursor after quoted text?
>>
>> Yep. I use OE, and I snip and put the reply any place I want to, like
>> this
>> reply.
>
> Sorry. I wasn't clear. Does OE allow the user the option of defaulting
> to after quoted text? For example, Outlook doesn't have this option at
> all.
> Netscape does, but inexplicably defaults to top-posting.

OE is primarily an email application (based on Outlook). In email, I think,
the idea is to put replies at the top.

Matt Barrow
April 29th 06, 05:00 PM
"Morgans" > wrote in message

> "Bob Noel" > wrote
>>
>> Sorry. I wasn't clear. Does OE allow the user the option of defaulting
>> to after quoted text? For example, Outlook doesn't have this option at
>> all.
>> Netscape does, but inexplicably defaults to top-posting.
>
> Even if it did, it would not trim, so the problem would only be half
> solved.
>
> It all comes down to the fact that it is so easy to place your post where
> you want it, and trim at the same time, it is just pure lazy (and self
> important) to not do so.

I get irked when people send emails that have six or so emails embedded. You
have to open them all to get to the message the sender wants you to read.
Novices don't realize you can forward the last one, that you don't have to
forward the whole damn thing.

Matt Barrow
April 29th 06, 05:02 PM
"Dan Luke" > wrote in message

> "Jim Macklin" wrote:
>
>> 1. I don't care.
>
> Well, best wishes to you too.
>
>> 2. I look at subject lines, if the subject is interesting
>> I'll read it. Along the same lines, don't you hate it when
>> a friend sends you an email with the message nested about
>> four fwd:fwd:fwd:fwd deep.
>
> Yes; it is inconsiderate--like top posting.
>
>> 3. Bottom posting is the proper way to put milk on the
>> store shelf, sell the oldest first. The rest is just an
>> urban legend. Halitosis is better than no breath at all.
>
> Top posting is lazy and careless. I generally avoid associating with lazy
> and careless people, don't you?

I wonder if he fills out his logs from the bottom up?

Matt Barrow
April 29th 06, 05:04 PM
"Frank Ch. Eigler" > wrote in message

> "Jim Macklin" wrote:
>
>> Tell me why I should change [from top posting].
>
> It saves your readers' time when they can see the minimal relevant
> context (the specific words you're responding to) along with your
> response, in a logical sequence.

The operative phrase here is "logical sequence".

Imagine a book in which the chapters were laid out 1,5,6,7,2,3,4.

Okay, _some_ do that.

Matt Barrow
April 29th 06, 05:07 PM
>> The Aviator (Christopher Reeve)
>> Memphis Belle

Tuskegee Airmen.

Matt Barrow
April 29th 06, 05:11 PM
"C. Massey" > wrote in message
. com...

> Yeah... don't forget the greatest aviation classic of all time...
>
> "Airplane"

Surely you're not serious?

Jose
April 29th 06, 05:14 PM
> I wonder if he fills out his logs from the bottom up?

Actually, financial records are often kept this way - the most recent at
the top.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.

Matt Barrow
April 29th 06, 05:29 PM
"Bob Chilcoat" > wrote in message
> I'd have to disagree on that one. While I've never met him myself, a
> friend here in NJ who was dying of cancer met him on the set of ER (she
> worked for J&J, who supplied a lot of the props for the show -- employees
> could visit the set). While she was in there in Hollywood, he arranged
> for her and her young daughter to take his limousine to a Hollywood
> extravaganza that he wasn't going to attend. They walked up the red
> carpet and both had a ball. He wrote and called her regularly before she
> died, and sent a HUGE basket of roses to her funeral. He is apparently a
> very caring and genuine human being, who just doesn't give a rip about
> Hollywood glamour.

Well, he's a nice guy _occasionally_. That doesn't negate his mentality.
Hell, Tookie Williams had people testify what a nice guy HE was.

And, yes, he does love the Hollyweird glamour, and more often than not is
completely full of himself.

> "Jim Macklin" > wrote in message
>> LOL, sort of like the C in Clooney.

Jon Woellhaf
April 29th 06, 05:46 PM
Me too.

Jim Macklin wrote

> But I want to see the answer [last post] first.

Steven P. McNicoll
April 29th 06, 08:04 PM
"Bob Chilcoat" > wrote in message

> I'd have to disagree on that one. While I've never met him myself, a
> friend here in NJ who was dying of cancer met him on the set of ER (she
> worked for J&J, who supplied a lot of the props for the show -- employees
> could visit the set). While she was in there in Hollywood, he arranged
> for her and her young daughter to take his limousine to a Hollywood
> extravaganza that he wasn't going to attend. They walked up the red
> carpet and both had a ball. He wrote and called her regularly before she
> died, and sent a HUGE basket of roses to her funeral. He is apparently a
> very caring and genuine human being, who just doesn't give a rip about
> Hollywood glamour.

It's his politics that are looney.

Bob Noel
April 29th 06, 09:22 PM
In article >,
"Matt Barrow" > wrote:

> OE is primarily an email application (based on Outlook). In email, I think,
> the idea is to put replies at the top.

Nope. The idea was always bottom (so that people could actually
follow an email chain - after all, we read top down). Somewhere along
the line some idiot decided that users should put the reply at the top.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Jim Macklin
April 30th 06, 12:29 AM
Exactly [page down]
"Steven P. McNicoll" > wrote in
message
link.net...

| "Bob Chilcoat" > wrote in
message

| > I'd have to disagree on that one. While I've never met
him myself, a
| > friend here in NJ who was dying of cancer met him on the
set of ER (she
| > worked for J&J, who supplied a lot of the props for the
show -- employees
| > could visit the set). While she was in there in
Hollywood, he arranged
| > for her and her young daughter to take his limousine to
a Hollywood
| > extravaganza that he wasn't going to attend. They
walked up the red
| > carpet and both had a ball. He wrote and called her
regularly before she
| > died, and sent a HUGE basket of roses to her funeral.
He is apparently a
| > very caring and genuine human being, who just doesn't
give a rip about
| > Hollywood glamour.
| >

| It's his politics that are looney.

Crazy Hollywood looney Clooney.

Andrew Gideon
May 29th 06, 01:52 AM
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 18:26:33 -0500, Jim Macklin wrote:

> RPN

I think - given that you're not altering sentence structure, which is
what I believe would be required to shift operators and operands around
- what you mean is that you prefer to see your stacks as true PDLs
(emphasis on the D part). For some written language with which I'm not
familiar, this may be reasonable.

For the few I know (which, to some degree, includes English), it does not.

English is read in an order which includes top-to-bottom. It makes sense,
therefore, to represent chronology the same way. Top-posting forces one
to stray from this convention: Reading some at the top, skipping to the
bottom to read the question, and going back to the top to continue.

That's why you don't see FAQs listed as:

[Well...excluding certain game shows <grin>.] In normal conversations,
one does not answer to something that has not yet been said.

Bottom-posting comes best into play when one is directing
authored. In a sequence of:

> Old text
new text
> Old text
new text

it is again reasonable - because we're already used to a top-to-bottom
reading order - for the new text to be in response to the old text above.

There's a funny example of how this fails in top-posting at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting

However, there's a constant theme through all these points: that the
author cares about the reader, reducing the costs associated with reading,
understanding, and replying to a message. For authors with no concern for
readers, none of this logic would be applicable. However, those same
authors could achieve the same effect by pounding randomly on their
keyboards.

- Andrew

Google