PDA

View Full Version : Re: Opinions on Azusa aluminum wheels/brakes/axles?

RTW
July 17th 03, 01:55 AM
Just for the record, I have a set of Azusa wheels and brakes on a clone of a
Kitfox, built as an ultralight (empty wt 254#). The wheels are OK, but the
brakes are not adequate, even at that low weight..

"richard riley" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
> >
> >I need to buy a set of main wheels for my 4-place composite (2400 lbs
> >gross) homebuilt, but don't have the experience to make a good
> >decision. I know that Clevelands are deemed "the best" by many, but
> >they are horribly expensive. Can they really be worth that much?
> >Matcos are cheaper; are they as good? And Azusa's are MUCH cheaper
> >still. Are they any good?
> >
> >Specifically, I'm looking at the Azusu 6-inch diameter, 4-inch wide
> >aluminum wheels and brakes. The wheels can (they say) accommodate a
> >600x6 tire, tho' I'd probably go with a slightly slimmer one. They
> >look nice in the pictures.
> >
> >One concern is that the axle is only 3/4 inch, whereas other
> >manufacturers use 1.5 inch axles in their 600x6 wheels. However, the
> >specs say that they're good for 3625 lbs per wheel, which is enough
> >for a max 3G (ouch!) landing (whoops!!) at 2400 gross.
> >
> >Another concern is braking. How good/bad are the Azusu brakes? I've
> >seen elsewhere someone mentioning another manufacturer of brakes to
> >mate with the Azusu wheels, but I've lost that reference now.
> >
> >Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice.
> >
> >Greg Reid
>
> It's not that hard to hit 3G's in a bad landing. FAA certification spec
to gear
> is 3.8 G's at full gross. I've always seen the Azusa wheels used on
*much*
> lighter aircraft, things with half that weight at gross.
>
> The matco brakes/wheels/etc are terrific quality, in many ways better than
the
> Clevelands. If you go matco, get the nickel plated disks - the sweaped
area of
> the disks doesn't have a problem, but if you just have the iron disks the
rest
> of the disk rusts quickly.

Bob Kuykendall
July 17th 03, 07:02 AM
Earlier, (Greg Reid) wrote:

> ...Matcos are cheaper; are they as good?

In my brief experience with the 5" units, they seem to be just as
rugged as the equivalent Cleveland units.

> And Azusa's are MUCH cheaper still. Are they any good?

Based on what they're designed for, the economic realities of that
market, and the modest liability risks associated with it, I would
hazard a guess that they're not even close.

> Specifically, I'm looking at the Azusu 6-inch diameter, 4-inch wide
> aluminum wheels and brakes. The wheels can (they say) accommodate a
> 600x6 tire, tho' I'd probably go with a slightly slimmer one. They
> look nice in the pictures.

Agreed. A nice looking package.

> One concern is that the axle is only 3/4 inch, whereas other
> manufacturers use 1.5 inch axles in their 600x6 wheels. However, the
> specs say that they're good for 3625 lbs per wheel, which is enough
> for a max 3G (ouch!) landing (whoops!!) at 2400 gross.

I will take that spec with a huge ol' grain of salt until I see how it
was derived. Looking through the Azusa catalog and the Aircraft Spruce
catalog, I see absolutely no force ratings for any wheels or axles.
Where did that number come from?

> Another concern is braking. How good/bad are the Azusu brakes?

Well, let me put it this way: The last time I saw a 2400 lb go-kart,
the brakes at every corner were labeled "Brembo." Definitely out of
Azusa's league.

There are good references and formulae for braking capacity at the
Matco Web site:

http://www.matcomfg.com/

Go there and click "Choosing a wheel."

> I've seen elsewhere someone mentioning another
> manufacturer of brakes to mate with the Azusu
> wheels, but I've lost that reference now.

Almost certainly the Tracy O'Brien units:

http://www.tracyobrien.com/moreinfo.asp?id=46

Note that they work with the Azusa wheels, and are suggested for a max
gross of 1200 lbs, and landing speed of 60 kts.

Thanks, and best regards

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com

Greg Reid
July 17th 03, 04:19 PM
Thanks everyone!

OK, I'm gonna go with the Matco W60 series (6" by 4.375" with 1.25"
axles), which seem appropriate for my aircraft. (I'm already using
Matco master cylinders.) They're a bunch more money than the Azusas,
of course, but I appreciate that this isn't a good place to try saving
money. (I still can't justify the Clevelands, though!)

Regards,
Greg

Google