PDA

View Full Version : Favourite quotes about flying

David Starer
May 2nd 06, 11:36 PM
Here are two of my favourite quotes about flying; what are yours?

1. Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Douglas Adams

2. Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The
edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings,
sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there.
Anon

Dave

Guy Byars
May 3rd 06, 10:45 AM
Neither my brother nor I have the means to support both a wife and a flying
machine - Wilbur Wright

"David Starer" <DaveAtStarerDotCoDotUk> wrote in message
> Here are two of my favourite quotes about flying; what are yours?
>
> 1. Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
> Douglas Adams
>
> 2. Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it.
The
> edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings,
> sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there.
> Anon
>
> Dave

MaD
May 3rd 06, 11:01 AM
The statement itself ranks pretty high but the fact that this quote is
about 500 years old makes it my favorite:

"When once you have tasted flight, you will always walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you always
will long to return."
Leonardo da Vinci, 1452-1519

Regards
Marcel Duenner

Al Eddie
May 3rd 06, 11:31 AM
Actually, although generally attributed to da Vinci,
not even leading historians, expert on da Vinci can
verify it to be so.

Biggest collection of aviation quites is here:

www.skygod.com/quotes

Al

At 10:06 03 May 2006, Mad wrote:
>The statement itself ranks pretty high but the fact
>that this quote is
>about 500 years old makes it my favorite:
>
>'When once you have tasted flight, you will always
>walk the earth with
>your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and
>there you always
>will long to return.'
>Leonardo da Vinci, 1452-1519
>
>Regards
>Marcel Duenner

303SAM
May 3rd 06, 04:27 PM
I've always wondered about that quote--a very odd thing to say because it is
in the voice of someone who has flown, but he never did.

"MaD" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The statement itself ranks pretty high but the fact that this quote is
> about 500 years old makes it my favorite:
>
> "When once you have tasted flight, you will always walk the earth with
> your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you always
> will long to return."
> Leonardo da Vinci, 1452-1519
>
> Regards
> Marcel Duenner

303SAM
May 3rd 06, 04:28 PM
I'd rather die quietly in my sleep, like my dad, than screaming in terror
like his passengers.

"David Starer" <DaveAtStarerDotCoDotUk> wrote in message
> Here are two of my favourite quotes about flying; what are yours?
>
> 1. Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
> Douglas Adams
>
> 2. Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it.
The
> edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings,
> sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there.
> Anon
>
> Dave

Go
May 3rd 06, 07:36 PM
One of my most favorite and certainly timeley is from one of the true
aviation pioneers, Otto Lilienthal. I shortened and changed it for my
own use:

"With each advent of spring when the air is alive with innumerable
happy creatures... a certain desire takes possession of John. He longs
to soar upward and to glide, free as the bird, over hot deserts,
smiling fields, leafy woods, mountain peaks, and mirror-like lakes, and
so enjoy the varying landscape as fully as only a bird can do."

I don't think Otto would mind my theft of his words. Can you imagine
his joy at seeing, feeling and flying our beautiful sailplanes? The
actual quote is:

"With each advent of spring, when the air is alive with innumerable
happy creatures; when the storks on their arrival at their old northern
resorts fold up the imposing flying apparatus which has carried them
thousands of miles, lay back their heads and announce their arrival by
joyously rattling their beaks; when the swallows have made their entry
and hurry through our streets and pass our windows in sailing flight;
when the lark appears as a dot in the ether and manifests its joy of
existence by its song; then a certain desire takes possession of man.
He longs to soar upward and to glide, free as the bird, over smiling
fields, leafy woods and mirror-like lakes, and so enjoy the varying
landscape as fully as only a bird can do."
Otto Lilienthal

or how about:

To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something. But to fly
is everything.
Otto Lilienthal

Tim Ward
May 4th 06, 04:10 AM
"David Starer" <DaveAtStarerDotCoDotUk> wrote in message
> Here are two of my favourite quotes about flying; what are yours?
>
> 1. Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
> Douglas Adams
>
> 2. Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it.
The
> edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings,
> sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there.
> Anon
>
> Dave
"There are three simple rules, which, when followed, will result in a
perfect landing every time.
Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Tim Ward

L.D.Cosby
May 4th 06, 06:06 PM
"303SAM" > wrote in message
> I've always wondered about that quote--a very odd thing to say because it
> is
> in the voice of someone who has flown, but he never did.

That may be true. But I think man has always looked at the birds and hawks
soaring above the earth and dreamed about being up there. I dream about
soaring without a plane all the time.

Jack
May 5th 06, 02:08 AM
Don't run out of altitude, airspeed, and ideas all at one time....

Jack Womack

May 5th 06, 04:49 AM
My favourite was a warning from someone dear to me:
"Fly carefully: low and slow."
:-)
Uri

Tim Ward wrote:
> "David Starer" <DaveAtStarerDotCoDotUk> wrote in message
> > Here are two of my favourite quotes about flying; what are yours?
> >
> > 1. Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
> > Douglas Adams
> >
> > 2. Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it.
> The
> > edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings,
> > sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there.
> > Anon
> >
> > Dave
> "There are three simple rules, which, when followed, will result in a
> perfect landing every time.
> Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
>
> Tim Ward

Bob Caldwell
May 5th 06, 05:18 AM
Death...nature's way of warning you to watch your airspeed

At 03:54 05 May 2006, wrote:
>My favourite was a warning from someone dear to me:
>'Fly carefully: low and slow.'
>:-)
>Uri
>
>Tim Ward wrote:
>> 'David Starer' wrote in message
>> > Here are two of my favourite quotes about flying;
>>>what are yours?
>> >
>> > 1. Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the
>>>ground and miss.
>> > Douglas Adams
>> >
>> > 2. Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go
>>>near the edges of it.
>> The
>> > edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance
>>>of ground, buildings,
>> > sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more
>>>difficult to fly there.
>> > Anon
>> >
>> > Dave
>> 'There are three simple rules, which, when followed,
>>will result in a
>> perfect landing every time.
>> Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.'
>>
>> Tim Ward

bagmaker
May 5th 06, 11:17 AM
"The only time you have too much fuel is when your on fire" -probably a tug pilot!

Bagmaker

Petri Viitanen
May 5th 06, 02:56 PM
On 2006-05-02, David Starer <DaveAtStarerDotCoDotUk> wrote:
> Here are two of my favourite quotes about flying; what are yours?

I heard this from my flight instructor:

"You need two things to keep the plane up in the air: airspeed and money."

And after a short pause he added: "And with sailplanes you don't need
that much money".

--

TowPilot185
May 5th 06, 03:26 PM

Money.

Martin Gregorie
May 5th 06, 08:28 PM
bagmaker wrote:
> "The only time you have too much fuel is when your on fire" -probably a
> tug pilot!

Sir Charles Kingston-Smith, the Australian pioneer long distance flier.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Bob Whelan
May 8th 06, 06:37 PM
Martin Gregorie wrote:
> bagmaker wrote:
>
>> "The only time you have too much fuel is when your on fire" -probably a
>> tug pilot!
>>
> Sir Charles Kingston-Smith, the Australian pioneer long distance flier.

There's nothing worse than a lazy, anal pedant who doesn't Google to
verify his claims, but depends upon memory...I think.

"What Martin said, but Charles Kingsford-Smith."

Frank Kingston-Smith - well-known, late aviation writer (and one of his
sons, Junior).

Heck, I'm just happy my folks gave me a name I could get backwards and
still be correct.

Pedantically,

Bob W.

Shawn
May 8th 06, 06:48 PM
Bob Whelan wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>
>> bagmaker wrote:
>>
>>> "The only time you have too much fuel is when your on fire" -probably a
>>> tug pilot!
>>>
>> Sir Charles Kingston-Smith, the Australian pioneer long distance flier.
>>

> There's nothing worse than a lazy, anal pedant who doesn't Google to
> verify his claims, but depends upon memory...I think.
>
> "What Martin said, but Charles Kingsford-Smith."
>
> Frank Kingston-Smith - well-known, late aviation writer (and one of his
> sons, Junior).
>
> Heck, I'm just happy my folks gave me a name I could get backwards and
> still be correct.
>
> Pedantically,
>
> Bob W.

Nalehw Trebor?
;-)

Nwahs

Vic7
May 10th 06, 05:29 PM
Here are two of my favourite quotes about flying; what are yours?

[snippage]

Dave

Maintain thine airspeed lest the ground rise up and smite thee.

V7

Maule Driver
May 10th 06, 10:54 PM
3 keys to a long flying career;
- Avoid the terrain
- Don't run out of fuel
- Never pick up a package by it's string

Flying Magazine column from early 70's

Petri Viitanen wrote:
> On 2006-05-02, David Starer <DaveAtStarerDotCoDotUk> wrote:
>
>>Here are two of my favourite quotes about flying; what are yours?

André Somers
May 10th 06, 11:00 PM
"David Starer" <DaveAtStarerDotCoDotUk> wrote:

> Here are two of my favourite quotes about flying; what are yours?
>
> 1. Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
> Douglas Adams
>
> 2. Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it.
> The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground,
> buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to
> fly there. Anon
>
> Dave

No idea who they are from:

- Flying is the perfect vocation for a man who wants to feel like a boy, but
not for one who still is.

- If God had wanted woman to fly, he would have painted the sky pink.

- If God had wanted man to fly, he would have given him more money.

- To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder.

- Flying is not dangerous. Crashing is dangerous.

André

Robert Backer
May 11th 06, 07:10 PM
I remember something similar from a Gren Siebles (sp?)column from
Soaring many years ago. He was asking a 25,000 hour airline capt. the
secret of his success and the reply was:

be patient
avoid the terrain and
never carry a package by the string

Maule Driver wrote:
> 3 keys to a long flying career;
> - Avoid the terrain
> - Don't run out of fuel
> - Never pick up a package by it's string
>
> Flying Magazine column from early 70's
>
> Petri Viitanen wrote:
>> On 2006-05-02, David Starer <DaveAtStarerDotCoDotUk> wrote:
>>
>>> Here are two of my favourite quotes about flying; what are yours?

May 11th 06, 07:21 PM
Just because Burt Compton says, "One can usually judge the strength of
the day by the first few thermals........." doesn't mean you are the
ONE.

Vic7
May 11th 06, 08:22 PM
I just finished Moffat's update of Winning on the Wind (now called Winning II). Among many wonder quotations, I especially liked:

"For too many people thermaling is hypnotic. Be the first kid in your themal to leave."

V7

Ken Kochanski (KK)
May 13th 06, 01:42 AM
David Starer wrote:
> Here are two of my favourite quotes about flying; what are yours?

"First there are the Prime pilots who get all the good planes and then
there are the Pudknockers who dream of getting the good planes... now,
what are you Pudknockers gonna have?" Tom Wolfe, The Right Stuff

KK

RON
May 16th 06, 05:58 AM
On Wed, 10 May 2006 17:29:33 +0100, Vic7
> wrote:

>David Starer Wrote:
>> Here are two of my favourite quotes about flying; what are yours?
>>
>> [snippage]
>>
>> Dave
>

>Maintain thine airspeed lest the ground rise up and smite thee.
>
>V7

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even
though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight
that knows neither victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt

This one sort of sums up how I feel about the sport of soaring :)

And then there's the ever popular..."Better to be on the ground
wishing you were in the air , than to be in the air wishing you were
on the ground."

Google