PDA

View Full Version : Polarized Instrument Display

Rick
May 5th 06, 01:57 AM
I recently bought some new polarized prescription glasses and have found
that when I look directly at the display screen on my LX5000, I can't see
anything. I can see it better if I turn my head and look obliquely at it
(not really practical). I suspect the screen has a polarization on the
surface and somehow it is reacting with the polarization on my glasses.

Does any one know of some kind of fix for the LX5000 screen for this
situation? I really don't want to change glasses.

Rick

01-- Zero One
May 5th 06, 02:30 AM
Rick,

You either have defective polarization on your glasses or the LX has
incorrect polarization on the display. You need to determine which is
your problem child. Don't be too sure that one is the culprit over the
other. Some soaring instrument manufacturers have had problems with
some of their units when the subassembly manufacturer made them with the
wrong polarization. All of your LCD instruments should have similar
polarization.

Try other polarized sunglasses and see if that fixes it. With
everything with the correct polarization, you should be able to see the
LCD screens with your head oriented to the normalized position.

Regards,

Larry

-- zero one - USA

"Rick" > wrote in message

> I recently bought some new polarized prescription glasses and have found
> that when I look directly at the display screen on my LX5000, I can't see
> anything. I can see it better if I turn my head and look obliquely at it
> (not really practical). I suspect the screen has a polarization on the
> surface and somehow it is reacting with the polarization on my glasses.
>
> Does any one know of some kind of fix for the LX5000 screen for this
> situation? I really don't want to change glasses.
>
> Rick

Mike Baldwin
May 5th 06, 03:48 AM
Larry's right. I bought a pair of sunglasses last year at Sears and
one lens had the polorization 1 way and the other at 90 degrees. Did
wierd things to perspective and computer screens (eg WinPilot). I
opted for a full refund.........
MB
01-- Zero One wrote:
> [...]
> name="place"/>
> <o:SmartTagType namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
> name="country-region"/>
> <!--[if !mso]>
> st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
> <![endif]-->
> <!--
> /* Font Definitions */
> @font-face
> {font-family:Papyrus;
> panose-1:3 7 5 2 6 5 2 3 2 5;}
> /* Style Definitions */
> p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
> {margin:0in;
> margin-bottom:.0001pt;
> font-size:12.0pt;
> font-family:"Times New Roman";}
> p.MsoEnvelopeReturn, li.MsoEnvelopeReturn, div.MsoEnvelopeReturn
> {margin:0in;
> margin-bottom:.0001pt;
> font-size:10.0pt;
> font-family:Papyrus;}
> a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
> {color:blue;
> text-decoration:underline;}
> a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
> {color:purple;
> text-decoration:underline;}
> span.EmailStyle18
> {mso-style-type:personal-compose;}
> @page Section1
> {size:8.5in 11.0in;
> margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
> div.Section1
> {page:Section1;}
> -->
>
> </head>

> 12.0pt'>You either have defective polarization on your glasses or the LX has
> incorrect polarization on the display.&nbsp; You need to determine which is
> your problem child.&nbsp; Don’t be too sure that one is the culprit over
> the other.&nbsp; Some soaring instrument manufacturers have had problems with
> some of their units when the subassembly manufacturer made them with the wrong
> polarization.&nbsp; All of your LCD instruments should have similar

> 12.0pt'>Try other polarized sunglasses and see if that fixes it.&nbsp; With
> everything with the correct polarization, you should be able to see the LCD

> 12.0pt'>-- zero one –&nbsp; <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place

> 12.0pt'><br>
> &quot;Rick&quot; &gt; wrote in message
> &gt; I recently bought some new polarized prescription glasses and have found<br>
> &gt; that when I look directly at the display screen on my LX5000, I can't see<br>
> &gt; anything.&nbsp;&nbsp;I can see it better if I turn my head and look
> obliquely at it<br>
> &gt; (not really practical).&nbsp;&nbsp;I suspect the screen has a polarization
> on the<br>
> &gt; surface and somehow it is reacting with the polarization on my glasses.<br>
> &gt; <br>
> &gt; Does any one know of some kind of fix for the LX5000 screen for this<br>
> &gt; situation?&nbsp;&nbsp;I really don't want to change glasses.<br>
> &gt; <br>

> --BF4ED55A-EB55-438D-98B5-964CA6D1D8B8--

May 5th 06, 03:50 AM
Larry,
Thanks for your response. I have another pair of polarized prescription glasses and the same thing occurs, namely I can't see the screen unless I turn my head and look at it obliquely. Maybe my next step should be to look at a few other LX5000 display screens with my glasses and see if there is a difference. Thanks again.
Rick
"01-- Zero One" > wrote in message ...
Rick,

You either have defective polarization on your glasses or the LX has incorrect polarization on the display. You need to determine which is your problem child. Don't be too sure that one is the culprit over the other. Some soaring instrument manufacturers have had problems with some of their units when the subassembly manufacturer made them with the wrong polarization. All of your LCD instruments should have similar polarization.

Try other polarized sunglasses and see if that fixes it. With everything with the correct polarization, you should be able to see the LCD screens with your head oriented to the normalized position.

Regards,

Larry

-- zero one - USA

"Rick" > wrote in message news:%px6g.1696$yh.681@trnddc04:

> I recently bought some new polarized prescription glasses and have found
> that when I look directly at the display screen on my LX5000, I can't see
> anything. I can see it better if I turn my head and look obliquely at it
> (not really practical). I suspect the screen has a polarization on the
> surface and somehow it is reacting with the polarization on my glasses.
>
> Does any one know of some kind of fix for the LX5000 screen for this
> situation? I really don't want to change glasses.
>
> Rick

bumper
May 5th 06, 04:08 AM
Early Cambridge 302's had the screen polarization 90 degrees off. If you
never use polarized sun glasses, you'd likely never know. Wear them, and all
the other LCD's look fine except for the dark 302! Later versions corrected
the problem. I sent mine in to get it fixed, which Cambridge did at no
charge as I had them calibrate it at the same time.

all the best,

bumper

"Rick" > wrote in message

> I recently bought some new polarized prescription glasses and have found
> that when I look directly at the display screen on my LX5000, I can't see
> anything. I can see it better if I turn my head and look obliquely at it
> (not really practical). I suspect the screen has a polarization on the
> surface and somehow it is reacting with the polarization on my glasses.
>
> Does any one know of some kind of fix for the LX5000 screen for this
> situation? I really don't want to change glasses.
>
> Rick

HL Falbaum
May 5th 06, 12:47 PM
Cambridge did the same for me, and it fixed the problem. They explined that
the polarization is in the cover glass for the LCD.
Some (many) "Pay-at-the-Pump" displays are invisible with my polarized
glasses

--
Hartley Falbaum

"bumper" > wrote in message
> Early Cambridge 302's had the screen polarization 90 degrees off. If you
> never use polarized sun glasses, you'd likely never know. Wear them, and
> all the other LCD's look fine except for the dark 302! Later versions
> corrected the problem. I sent mine in to get it fixed, which Cambridge did
> at no charge as I had them calibrate it at the same time.
>
> all the best,
>
> bumper
> "Rick" > wrote in message
> Larry,
> Thanks for your response. I have another pair of polarized prescription
> glasses and the same thing occurs, namely I can't see the screen unless I
> turn my head and look at it obliquely. Maybe my next step should be to
> look at a few other LX5000 display screens with my glasses and see if
> there is a difference. Thanks again.
> Rick
> "01-- Zero One" > wrote in message
> Rick,
>
> You either have defective polarization on your glasses or the LX has
> incorrect polarization on the display. You need to determine which is
> your problem child. Don't be too sure that one is the culprit over the
> other. Some soaring instrument manufacturers have had problems with some
> of their units when the subassembly manufacturer made them with the wrong
> polarization. All of your LCD instruments should have similar
> polarization.
>
> Try other polarized sunglasses and see if that fixes it. With everything
> with the correct polarization, you should be able to see the LCD screens
> with your head oriented to the normalized position.
>
> Regards,
>
> Larry
> -- zero one - USA
>

> "Rick" > wrote in message
>
>> I recently bought some new polarized prescription glasses and have found
>> that when I look directly at the display screen on my LX5000, I can't see
>> anything. I can see it better if I turn my head and look obliquely at it
>> (not really practical). I suspect the screen has a polarization on the
>> surface and somehow it is reacting with the polarization on my glasses.
>>
>> Does any one know of some kind of fix for the LX5000 screen for this
>> situation? I really don't want to change glasses.
>>
>> Rick

Martin Gregorie
May 5th 06, 04:46 PM
Rick wrote:
> Does any one know of some kind of fix for the LX5000 screen for this
> situation? I really don't want to change glasses.

As a quick check on whether the LX screen or your glasses are wrong, go
find a calm lake or pond. When the sun is reflecting off it at you, your
glasses should dramatically reduce the reflections from the water
surface. Both lenses should be the same.

This is because reflected light from a liquid surface is polarized by
being reflected (IIRC its horizontally polarized). The whole point of
polarized glasses is to cut this reflection, so if they don't do that
take them back and demand a refund.

Once you know the glasses are set up right its time to go check on the
LX screen.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

May 5th 06, 06:25 PM
Rick,

I'm not sure what kind of sunglasses you have but I'm highly suspicious
of them.

I've had two LX5000s and now an LX7007. I've used several brands of
sunglasses and never had a polarization interference problem with any
of them.

~ted/2NO

Jeremy Zawodny
May 5th 06, 09:35 PM
Rick wrote:
> I recently bought some new polarized prescription glasses and have found
> that when I look directly at the display screen on my LX5000, I can't see
> anything. I can see it better if I turn my head and look obliquely at it
> (not really practical). I suspect the screen has a polarization on the
> surface and somehow it is reacting with the polarization on my glasses.

I have the same problem with my LX-5000.

I've tried 3 pairs of polarized glasses with the same result. But I
recently got a pair of non-polarized sunglasses just for flying. Life
is better...

Jeremy

Robin Birch
May 11th 06, 06:07 PM
"Jeremy Zawodny" > wrote in message
> Rick wrote:
>> I recently bought some new polarized prescription glasses and have found
>> that when I look directly at the display screen on my LX5000, I can't see
>> anything. I can see it better if I turn my head and look obliquely at it
>> (not really practical). I suspect the screen has a polarization on the
>> surface and somehow it is reacting with the polarization on my glasses.
>
> I have the same problem with my LX-5000.
>
> I've tried 3 pairs of polarized glasses with the same result. But I
> recently got a pair of non-polarized sunglasses just for flying. Life is
> better...
>
> Jeremy
Although I have not had the problem with instruments I have had it with PDAs
in the cockpit. Personally I don't think that polarised sunglasses are the
things to use when flying because of the possibility of seeing the stress
lines and so on in the canopy and the possibility of interference with LCD
displays. I much prefer tinted specs for this reason.

Robin

bumper
May 11th 06, 06:46 PM
"Robin Birch" > wrote in message
...>
> Although I have not had the problem with instruments I have had it with
> PDAs in the cockpit. Personally I don't think that polarised sunglasses
> are the things to use when flying because of the possibility of seeing the
> stress lines and so on in the canopy and the possibility of interference
> with LCD displays. I much prefer tinted specs for this reason.
>
> Robin

It sounds like you're stressing out . . . could this be the source of the
stress lines? (g)

bumper

André Somers
May 11th 06, 08:34 PM
Robin Birch wrote:

> Although I have not had the problem with instruments I have had it with
> PDAs
> in the cockpit. Personally I don't think that polarised sunglasses are
> the things to use when flying because of the possibility of seeing the
> stress lines and so on in the canopy and the possibility of interference
> with LCD
> displays. I much prefer tinted specs for this reason.
I agree with your assessment that polarised glasses are not a good idea in
the cockpit. They take away glare, and it is exactly that glare that might
draw your attention to that other glider comming right at you.

André

Doug Haluza
May 14th 06, 02:02 PM
André Somers wrote:
> Robin Birch wrote:
>
> > Although I have not had the problem with instruments I have had it with
> > PDAs
> > in the cockpit. Personally I don't think that polarised sunglasses are
> > the things to use when flying because of the possibility of seeing the
> > stress lines and so on in the canopy and the possibility of interference
> > with LCD
> > displays. I much prefer tinted specs for this reason.
> I agree with your assessment that polarised glasses are not a good idea in
> the cockpit. They take away glare, and it is exactly that glare that might
> draw your attention to that other glider comming right at you.
>
> André

Doug Haluza
May 14th 06, 02:12 PM
I have to agree with the previous posters. Polarized sunglasses are
intended to cut surface glare, so they are great if you are a boater.
But unless you plan to land on water, they are of little benefit to a
pilot. In addition to interfering with LCD displays, they show colored
bands in the curved plexiglass, which can be distracting.

Also, polarized glasses are usually grey, and an orange tint is much
better at cutting UV for seeing through haze and picking up detail in
clouds.

I know you wear prescription glasses, so you may want to get another
prescription pair of orange tinted non-polarized glasses for flying.
You may also prefer them for driving as well. If you spend time near
the water, the polarized pair will be better for that.

André Somers wrote:
> Robin Birch wrote:
>
> > Although I have not had the problem with instruments I have had it with
> > PDAs
> > in the cockpit. Personally I don't think that polarised sunglasses are
> > the things to use when flying because of the possibility of seeing the
> > stress lines and so on in the canopy and the possibility of interference
> > with LCD
> > displays. I much prefer tinted specs for this reason.
> I agree with your assessment that polarised glasses are not a good idea in
> the cockpit. They take away glare, and it is exactly that glare that might
> draw your attention to that other glider comming right at you.
>
> André

Doug Haluza
May 14th 06, 02:22 PM
There actually is a good FAA publication on Sunglasses at:

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/sunglasses.pdf

"POLARIZATION. Polarized lenses are not recommended
for use in the aviation environment. While useful for blocking
reflected light from horizontal surfaces such as water or
snow, polarization can reduce or eliminate the visibility of
instruments that incorporate anti-glare filters. Polarized lenses
may also interfere with visibility through an aircraft windscreen
by enhancing striations in laminated materials and mask the
sparkle of light that reflects off shiny surfaces such as another
aircraft's wing or windscreen, which can reduce the time a pilot
has to react in a "see-and-avoid" traffic situation."

Google